Rank our Roster Top to Bottom

My reason for posting this thread comes from the most recent post I made on the Rutgers post-game thread:

Our problem isn't talent, per se.  It's the distribution of talent. 

We have very good to fantastic players at 4 out of 5 positions on the floor.

That 5th position is our Achilles' heal.  (That's pronounced uh-KILL-eze for those who are bad at Wheel of Fortune.)

If you ranked our roster from top to bottom in terms of talent, there's a glaring weakness.  Fix that, and we win a lot more games.

Thoughts?

Thanks Hal and brfrad.

That's three votes so far and it illustrates my point.

It's not just that we don't have a lot of size.

It's also that the one guy we have who is taller than 6'8" ranks in the bottom 2 or 3 players on the team in terms of talent and ability.

If our 6'10" guy was the third-most talented player on our current roster instead of the 9th or 10th, we'd have won easily 4 more games this season.  Maybe even more than that.

I'm one of those fans that really want to see Hammond turn it around next year, much like Webster did between his sophomore and junior campaigns.  I see flashes from him like against Tennessee and Penn State, where he just took over some games.  Let's look at last year, not knowing about this year and rank the players.

Petteway

Shields

Pitchford

Rivers

Benny

T. Smith

L. Smith

Webster

Fuller

Abraham

Hammond

Webster would be down towards the bottom last year, now he is 3rd or 4th on the team depending on how you rate them. 

Granted, it hurts this year's team for our tallest player to be 9th or 10th on the roster, but Tai shows what kind of turnaround one can have in a year's time.

1. Shields

2. White

3. Webster

4. Watson

5. Morrow

6. Jacobson

7. Parker

8. McVeigh

9. Hammond

10. Evelyn

11. Fuller

I'm not going to argue too much about Hammond ahead of Fuller, but with the "at this moment in time" proviso, I don't see how you can put Evelyn ahead of Fuller.  Only if you're judging on potential, and even then I'm not convinced.

1. White

2. Shields

3. Watson

4. Webster

5. Morrow

6. McVeigh

7. Evelyn

8. Jacobson

9. Parker

10. Fuller

11. Hammond

So ...

In your opinion, 5 of our top 8 players are freshmen.  Including 3 of the top 6. Yet, you think our freshmen aren't what they were cracked up to be.

Exactly what were you expecting our freshmen to be?

1. Shields

2. White

3. Webster

4. Watson

5. Morrow

6. Jacobson

7. Parker

8. McVeigh

9. Hammond

10. Evelyn

11. Fuller

I'm not going to argue too much about Hammond ahead of Fuller, but with the "at this moment in time" proviso, I don't see how you can put Evelyn ahead of Fuller. Only if you're judging on potential, and even then I'm not convinced.
That was the hard part for me. I think Evelyn will be a serviceable player by the time he is a senior where as I still think Fuller will be riding the bench with the talent coming in at that position. Also if I'm going by current position Fuller is technically a forward and plays the four which I don't like at all. If he were currently playing the three I would probably put him ahead of Evelyn. And tbh all I can think about is Bakari drilling that three ball last night!

1. White

2. Shields

3. Watson

4. Webster

5. Morrow

6. McVeigh

7. Evelyn

8. Jacobson

9. Parker

10. Fuller

11. Hammond

So ...

In your opinion, 5 of our top 8 players are freshmen.  Including 3 of the top 6. Yet, you think our freshmen aren't what they were cracked up to be.

For our team there are 5 in the top 8. That doesn't mean that they are in your words "what they were cracked up to be." It means in terms of our roster that is where I would rank them. Lets not forget this is a 15-17 basketball team, not a tourney team

I guess my evaluation of talent is comparing them to teams that are successful and are playing in the tournament. If you want to compare the roster to that of say...Hastings College then yes you could really have a case that the talent is amazing. In comparing against teams that matter, I don't think they quite match up.

I guess my evaluation of talent is comparing them to teams that are successful and are playing in the tournament. If you want to compare the roster to that of say...Hastings College then yes you could really have a case that the talent is amazing. In comparing against teams that matter, I don't think they quite match up.

The only problem with your argument is that outside of one and done players, there will be very few teams who play freshmen 40 % of the time that will make the tournament. That means we have inexperienced talent.

1. White

2. Shields

3. Watson

4. Webster

5. Morrow

6. McVeigh

7. Evelyn

8. Jacobson

9. Parker

10. Fuller

11. Hammond

So ...

For our team there are 5 in the top 8. That doesn't mean that they are in your words "what they were cracked up to be." It means in terms of our roster that is where I would rank them. Lets not forget this is a 15-17 basketball team, not a tourney team

You didn't answer the question. You said they ended up not being what they were cracked up to be -- what did you think they were cracked up to be?  In order for them to be what they were cracked up to be, what were you expecting, if being 5 of the top 8 isn't good enough?

1. White

2. Shields

3. Watson

4. Webster

5. Morrow

6. McVeigh

7. Evelyn

8. Jacobson

9. Parker

10. Fuller

11. Hammond

So ...

You didn't answer the question. You said they ended up not being what they were cracked up to be -- what did you think they were cracked up to be?  In order for them to be what they were cracked up to be, what were you expecting, if being 5 of the top 8 isn't good enough?

I guess I expected us to win more games. I don't expect us to spend the money we do on basketball and put that poor of a product on the floor. Let's hope tonight we play our best game of the year

1. White

2. Shields

3. Watson

4. Webster

5. Morrow

6. McVeigh

7. Evelyn

8. Jacobson

9. Parker

10. Fuller

11. Hammond

So ...

I guess I expected us to win more games. I don't expect us to spend the money we do on basketball and put that poor of a product on the floor. Let's hope tonight we play our best game of the year

OK, I got it.  We didn't win more games and that's on our freshmen.  Maybe if Miles had played Bakari Evelyn more than 88 minutes on the season.  Oh well, water under the bridge.  Hopefully, Miles will learn from this experience and play Evelyn more next year.

1. White

2. Shields

3. Watson

4. Webster

5. Morrow

6. McVeigh

7. Evelyn

8. Jacobson

9. Parker

10. Fuller

11. Hammond

So ...

OK, I got it.  We didn't win more games and that's on our freshmen.  Maybe if Miles had played Bakari Evelyn more than 88 minutes on the season.  Oh well, water under the bridge.  Hopefully, Miles will learn from this experience and play Evelyn more next year.

Well, he should get more minutes than Parker next year, so SkerBall should be pleased with that, at least.