uneblinstu's post game chatter vol 8, no 32: The Scarlet Pawns

UNL notes

*-The win snapped NU’s three-game losing streak in the Big Ten Tournament dating back to 2013
*-Nebraska’s 89 points was its highest total since scoring 90 in the first meeting at Rutgers on Jan. 9.
*-Shavon Shields posted the first double-double of the season and sixth of his career with 20 points and a season-high 11 rebounds. It marked Shields’ first double-double since last year’s Big Ten Tournament opener against Penn State.
*-With 20 points, Shields moved into seventh place on NU’s career scoring chart, passing Tyronn Lue (1,577) and Erick Strickland (1,586). Shields now has 1,591 career points.
*-Shavon Shields has reached double figures in his last 14 games, the longest stretch of his career.
*-Michael Jacobson had a career-high 14 points tonight. His previous high was 13 points also against Rutgers on Feb. 6. He also added six rebounds and two blocked shots.
*-Tai Webster reached double figures for the 16th time this season with 18 points. 
*-With two steals, Benny Parker moved into 10th place on NU’s career steals list with 131.
*-NU’s 11 steals was the team’s second-highest total of the season.
*-NU put five players in double figures for the first time since Nov. 28 (vs. Tennessee) and the third time this season.
*-With three 3-pointers, Andrew White III became the sixth Husker to have 80 or more 3-pointers in a season.

Started off how I expected.

- Jacobson had about as quiet of a 14 point game that you can have

- Andrew White is the king of quiet games. Had a sneaky 16 points

- Shavon had his first double double of the season. Looked alot better the second half

- Morrow is so good around the rim if he can develop a somewhat decent jump shot I think he is a locked in starter at the 4 next year.

- Another actual quiet night for McVeigh. We need him to get something going but minutes are gonna be limited since he's the back up to White and Shields who are gonna be on the court more often than not.

- Hammond rebounded really well and looked locked in. Not sure why he never got back in the game until the end.

- Benny played solid defense on their best player.

- BAKARI FOR THREE!!!

Glad we pulled away seemed like we started to gain some of our offensive confidence back in the second half. I would be very happy if we win tomorrow.

Jacobson is a really good freshman, but I still contend that Morrow at his healthiest is a game-changer.  He has his youth deficiencies, but he has great speed and does some special things around the rim on both ends with his athleticism.  We kicked their ass with him in the game.  I'd really like to see he and Jacobson split minutes at the least.  

Watson

Webster

White

Shields

Morrow

Please play this 5 a lot if you want to beat Wisky tomorrow.  Run like hell.  Wisconsin has like 5 Jacobsons on their roster.  Morrow is a weird matchup for anyone if he's playing well.  

Jacobson is a really good freshman, but I still contend that Morrow at his healthiest is a game-changer. He has his youth deficiencies, but he has great speed and does some special things around the rim on both ends with his athleticism. We kicked their ass with him in the game. I'd really like to see he and Jacobson split minutes at the least.

Watson

Webster

White

Shields

Morrow

Please play this 5 a lot if you want to beat Wisky tomorrow. Run like hell. Wisconsin has like 5 Jacobsons on their roster. Morrow is a weird matchup for anyone if he's playing well.

Agree with the first point, disagree with the 5 Jacobsons part. They have guys that have helped get a team to a Final 4....

One thing us fans tend to do is get too high after a win and too low after a loss. The huskers won tonight, they should have won. Rutgers is an awful basketball team. Nebraska didn't all of a sudden become a tourney team in 3 days. Still have the same players, same coaches. We will go out and play tomorrow. Badgers are favored and playing well. Although Nebraska got the win tonight, I wouldn't say they are playing well. This team has issues, lots of them. Talent being #1. Needs to be fixed or mr smiles won't be around much longer. If the freshman were what everyone cracked them up to be, you would not be getting swept by Northwestern. Don't let tonight's game against maybe the worst power 5 team outside BC hide the mess

A win is a win even if it's Rugers. Yes we should have beat them and we did. That's a positive and not a negative. Bowing out tonight would've been disastrous. Glad that didn't happen. I expect us to let it fly against Wisconsin and see what happens. I think we will keep it tight for awhile and we shall see if we can make a run at it. Would be nice to get a jump on them as we're already warmed up and catch them running real cold.

One thing us fans tend to do is get too high after a win and too low after a loss. The huskers won tonight, they should have won. Rutgers is an awful basketball team. Nebraska didn't all of a sudden become a tourney team in 3 days. Still have the same players, same coaches. We will go out and play tomorrow. Badgers are favored and playing well. Although Nebraska got the win tonight, I wouldn't say they are playing well. This team has issues, lots of them. Talent being #1. Needs to be fixed or mr smiles won't be around much longer. If the freshman were what everyone cracked them up to be, you would not be getting swept by Northwestern. Don't let tonight's game against maybe the worst power 5 team outside BC hide the mess

Wow.  I'm so tired of everyone bagging on the freshmen and saying "they weren't as good as advertised".  What a bunch of BS.  None of the freshmen were in the top 50 recruits last year.  None of them were supposed to be 1 and done.  All that was said was they were an upgrade of talent over prior classes.  I dare anyone to dispute that.  Give actual facts that illustrate how the four freshmen that played a lot this year were worse than any of the last 10 freshmen classes.  They are a solid foundation for the future.  The biggest problem we have is the lack of a true 5 on the floor.  If that's what you're referring to as the talent problem, fine.  Otherwise, stop bagging on the team after a win. 

SkerBall, you're cracking me up this morning.  I've always been a fan of straight-faced comedy and you, dude, must be a master.

So, I've learned in the last few hours from reading your posts that Husker hoops fans don't know anything about basketball (where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, from Bluejay fans) and that our freshman class wasn't what they were cracked up to be.

YET ...

I'll say it. Bakeri Evelyn is a better point guard than Benny Parker. Way too much being made about Benny "shutting down" Sanders imo

So, let me get this straight:

The freshman class wasn't as good as it was cracked up to be ...

BUT ...

Bakari Evelyn, a true freshman who garnered 88 minutes on the season while shooting 2 for 15 from deep, is better than Benny Parker, a senior with 75 career starts and top 10 all-time in career steals for Nebraska.

If the least of our 5 freshman recruits is better than a senior starter, then I'm not tracking with you on the freshman class not being as good as it's cracked up to be.

Perhaps I just don't know the "inner workings" of the program like you do.

OR ...

Maybe this is just some great, straight-faced comedy.

That's brilliant, dude.  I'm am cracking up laughing right now.  Funny stuff.  :D

SkerBall, you're cracking me up this morning.  I've always been a fan of straight-faced comedy and you, dude, must be a master.

So, I've learned in the last few hours from reading your posts that Husker hoops fans don't know anything about basketball (where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, from Bluejay fans) and that our freshman class wasn't what they were cracked up to be.

YET ...

I'll say it. Bakeri Evelyn is a better point guard than Benny Parker. Way too much being made about Benny "shutting down" Sanders imo

BUT ...

Bakari Evelyn, a true freshman who garnered 88 minutes on the season while shooting 2 for 15 from deep, is better than Benny Parker, a senior with 75 career starts and top 10 all-time in career steals for Nebraska.

If the least of our 5 freshman recruits is better than a senior starter, then I'm not tracking with you on the freshman class not being as good as it's cracked up to be.

OR ...

That's brilliant, dude.  I'm am cracking up laughing right now.  Funny stuff.  :D

Yeah I was going to say something... But I thought I would give someone else a whack on this thread.

YET ...

BUT ...

OR ...

So you're saying that because Benny Parker is Top 10 all time for steals in our "illustrious" program history makes him a great player? Benny played the past couple seasons for the mere fact that our PG recruiting had been so poor that Miles had no other choice. I guarantee that if you asked Tim Miles if he would rather have Benny Parker for 4 years or someone with the talent of Bakari Evelyn (I've seen his legit talent, coached against the kid in AAU) I would put my life savings on him saying Bakari. If you ask any basketball mind they would tell you that Benny Parker is a great inspirational story, but you don't win big with him. Maybe that's where we are off here. I'm about getting and playing guys that can bring more than just one thing to the table.

Now to your point of me bagging the freshman. I want better for this program. I want kids that can flat out play basketball, not players that are so one dimensional that if the opposing team takes one thing away they are not effective. We always tout how this team is so much more talented than teams of the past even with the inexperience. Well I guess for some playing average talent is sufficient but I'd like to believe Nebraska basketball could be better. I dislike Creighton just as much as the next guy on this board, but one thing I will say is that Mac gets "basketball players" that have skill sets far beyond anyone we bring in. Creighton isn't sniffing the tourney this year and they have much more talent than we do. That just shows how large of a gap there continues to be between Nebraska and relevancy. Not saying Glynn, Ed, Jack, Michael, and Bakari can't get there, but this group isn't going to do it by themselves. We need more talent, you're going to be disappointed if you count on last years class to take you to the promised land.

SkerBall, you're cracking me up this morning. I've always been a fan of straight-faced comedy and you, dude, must be a master.

YET ...

BUT ...

OR ...

That's brilliant, dude. I'm am cracking up laughing right now. Funny stuff. :D

So you're saying that because Benny Parker is Top 10 all time for steals in our "illustrious" program history makes him a great player? Benny played the past couple seasons for the mere fact that our PG recruiting had been so poor that Miles had no other choice. I guarantee that if you asked Tim Miles if he would rather have Benny Parker for 4 years or someone with the talent of Bakari Evelyn (I've seen his legit talent, coached against the kid in AAU) I would put my life savings on him saying Bakari. If you ask any basketball mind they would tell you that Benny Parker is a great inspirational story, but you don't win big with him. Maybe that's where we are off here. I'm about getting and playing guys that can bring more than just one thing to the table.

Now to your point of me bagging the freshman. I want better for this program. I want kids that can flat out play basketball, not players that are so one dimensional that if the opposing team takes one thing away they are not effective. We always tout how this team is so much more talented than teams of the past even with the inexperience. Well I guess for some playing average talent is sufficient but I'd like to believe Nebraska basketball could be better. I dislike Creighton just as much as the next guy on this board, but one thing I will say is that Mac gets "basketball players" that have skill sets far beyond anyone we bring in. Creighton isn't sniffing the tourney this year and they have much more talent than we do. That just shows how large of a gap there continues to be between Nebraska and relevancy. Not saying Glynn, Ed, Jack, Michael, and Bakari can't get there, but this group isn't going to do it by themselves. We need more talent, you're going to be disappointed if you count on last years class to take you to the promised land.

You lost me with the "Creighton has more talent than us" quote. They may have beat us, but they don't have more talent than us.