WBB: Game #17 @ Penn State

Row6Seat10

Nebraska Cornhuskers (12-4, 2-1 Big Ten) at Penn State Lady Lions (12-2, 2-0 Big Ten)

Sunday, Jan. 13, 1 p.m. (Central)
Bryce Jordan Center (University Park, Pa.)

Television: ESPN2 (PBP-Beth Mowins; Analyst-LaChina Robinson)
Radio: 25-Station IMG College Husker Sports Network  (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch)
(KBBK 107.3 FM, Lincoln; KFFF 93.3 FM, Omaha;
KLIQ 94.5 FM, Hastings; KNEB 94.1 FM, Scottsbluff; KCOW 1400 AM, Alliance)
Free Internet Audio: Huskers.com

171983-nubkw-007.jpg

Huskers Battle No. 8 Penn State Sunday in State College on ESPN2

The Nebraska women's basketball team concludes its two-game Big Ten road swing by traveling to University Park, Pa., to clash with No. 8 Penn State on Sunday, Jan. 13. Tip-off between the Huskers (12-4, 2-1 Big Ten) and the Lady Lions (12-2, 2-0 Big Ten) is set for 1 p.m. (central) with live national television coverage by ESPN2.

Nebraska is coming off its most complete game of the season with its 67-38 win at Indiana on Thursday. The Huskers led 62-24 with seven minutes and were able to rest their starters extensively in the second half.

Coach Coquese Washington leads defending Big Ten regular-season champion Penn State into Sunday's game against the Huskers with a 12-2 overall record and a 2-0 Big Ten mark. The Lady Lions are ranked No. 8 nationally in both major boths and enjoyed the midweek off from Big Ten competition heading into their home game at the Bryce Jordan Center against the Huskers. Penn State rolled to a 76-55 win over Michigan State in East Lansing last Sunday. The Spartans entered the game with a 13-1 mark.

Penn State possesses the Big Ten's most explosive offense, averaging 74.4 points, while allowing just 57.4 points per game. PSU is shooting 41.9 percent from the field, including 40.2 percent from three-point range, which ranks second in the Big Ten. The Lady Lions also own the league's second-best field goal percentage defense (.344). Penn State leads the Big Ten in both turnover margin (+4.3) and steals per game (11.7 spg).

Nebraska trails the all-time series with Penn State 3-1, including a 1-1 mark as Big Ten opponents. The Huskers notched a 71-63 win over the Lady Lions at the Bryce Jordan Center on in NU's first-ever Big Ten game.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers
3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - So. - F
23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - So. - F
35 - Jordan Hooper - 6-2 - Jr.
00 - Lindsey Moore - 5-9 - Sr. - G
24 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - Fr. - G

Penn State Lady Lions
24 - Mia Nickson - 6-2 - Sr. - F
54 - Nikki Greene - 6-4 - Sr. - C
2 - Dara Taylor - 5-8 - Jr. - G
20 - Alex Bentley - 5-7 - Sr. - G
33 - Maggie Lucas - 5-10 - Jr. - G

Emily Cady has her second Big Ten campaign off to a strong start by averaging 10.3 points and 12.0 rebounds through three conference games. Cady, who owns a pair of Big Ten double-doubles, is one of only four players averaging a double-double in league play. She joins teammate Jordan Hooper, Purdue's Sam Ostarello and Iowa's Morgan Johnson in that class.

Tear’a Laudermill matched her career high with 14 points in NU's win at Indiana, and made it nearly impossible for the Hoosier guards to initiate Indiana's offense. She played a major role in holding the Hoosiers to just 24 points in the game's first 33 minutes.

Huskers Battle No. 8 Penn State Sunday………..huskers.com

This post has been promoted to an article

Cady leads the Huskers with 12 points  Lindsey has 5 as does Hooper. Moore with 5 uncharacteristic turnovers, Hooper needs to step it up on the offensive end of the court. Looks as if she's forcing shots. PSu's big two have 23 points Bentley with a prayer at the end has 12 Lucas has 11. They have 23 points off our turnovers at the half.

Don't take this wrong as I love Jordan Hooper, but does anyone else think she is rushing her shots a lot more this year?  When she gets squared up, she's tough, but it seems this year she is rushing everything.  I think she would be more effective if she let the game come to her a little more.  I know we don't have a lot of scoring options, but these wild three's drive me crazy.

Don't take this wrong as I love Jordan Hooper, but does anyone else think she is rushing her shots a lot more this year?  When she gets squared up, she's tough, but it seems this year she is rushing everything.  I think she would be more effective if she let the game come to her a little more.  I know we don't have a lot of scoring options, but these wild three's drive me crazy.

I have to agree. I think this is a symptom of Hooper's increased notoriety this season. She's getting defended more consciously this season, which has led to her having fewer shot opportunities. I think when she gets them, she wants to make sure she gets a clean shot off, which causes her to rush them. This rushing has been pretty wide spread at times, with the swinging of the new offense not always delivering open looks.

80-58 final. This is what happens when you show up and aren't prepared to play on either end of the court. 28 points we gave up on 19 very costly turnovers, 13 of them were steals by Penn St. That's just unacceptable.

Great game for Emily Cady she finished with 17 points and 9 rebounds and sat the bench the last 4 minutes of the game! :angry:  Moore and Hooper both finish with 11 points

I have to agree. I think this is a symptom of Hooper's increased notoriety this season. She's getting defended more consciously this season, which has led to her having fewer shot opportunities. I think when she gets them, she wants to make sure she gets a clean shot off, which causes her to rush them. This rushing has been pretty wide spread at times, with the swinging of the new offense not always delivering open looks.

Also it is a function of her reluctance to put the ball on the floor.  So the defenders run at her on the perimiter, knowing she won't drive the ball.  She will struggle until she further develops that part of her game.

Connie has been very reluctant to put a red light on a shooter (and I generally agree with this), but I wouldn't be surprised if she does it now for awhile.  She has mentioned the need for Jordan to drive the ball several times recently, partially to help get Jordan to the line.  It doesn't seem to be sinking in, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes in the next game. 

Sorry to say this but PSU is way better athletically than NU.  These types of games are going to happen when we play teams like PSU, Maryland etc.,  in other words, the elite teams.  

Shot selection continues to be a mystery to me.  The girls play hard because they must in order to be competitive.  A .500 record might be a good accomplishment in the league this year. 

NU needs more size in the post, Cady and Hooper can not be expected to handle bigger, more athletic post players and other than Laudermill the quickness factor in the backcourt was overwhelming for PSU. 

Sorry to say this but PSU is way better athletically than NU.  These types of games are going to happen when we play teams like PSU, Maryland etc.,  in other words, the elite teams.  

Shot selection continues to be a mystery to me.  The girls play hard because they must in order to be competitive.  A .500 record might be a good accomplishment in the league this year. 

NU needs more size in the post, Cady and Hooper can not be expected to handle bigger, more athletic post players and other than Laudermill the quickness factor in the backcourt was overwhelming for PSU. 

I'm in agreement for the most part.  I think we will finish better than .500 but not sure how much over.  Penn State is definitely more athletic than we are as was Maryland.  Teams like Purdue have a better inside game and better pure shooters, or so it appears.  We definitely need to find some athletic rebounders and pure shooters for the future.  I think we have some on the way, but need more.

Need a few more Emily Cady's on the team, willing to hit the boards!

At halftime of tonights Purdue/OSU game they had highlights of yesterday's conference games. Steph White said that the most disappointing teams so far this season in the B1G are Ohio State and ........Nebraska. Hope those in charge down at the Hendricks center were watching and listening and it hit home.

I do think that after last year great things were expected from the Huskers this year. And I also think that the Huskers were over achievers last year in that they won a ton of close games. And that hasn't happened this year. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say I'm very bad at expressing my thoughts.