2017 PF David Wingett -> Memphis -> S. Dakota St

AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'd take Teddy 1st and foremost. Wingett would be a nice project as well.

My kid played in the same high school league as Teddy, so I saw him quite a bit in high school. He was simply a man among boys in C-1 ball. His athleticism and quickness for his build and size was clearly at a D1 level.  He was an excellent rebounder and a great slasher. He had nice court vision and good handles for a guy his size as well. That being said, he was not a great jump shooter and he had substantial motivation and attitude issues. I thought he would need a year or two to develop his game to play at the college level. For that reason, his success as a freshman at WVU surprised me a bit, until I realized that the chaos and frenetic system Huggins employs was a perfect fit for his skill set. My concern with bringing him in is whether his skill set translates into success in Miles' system, not to mention the question of whether he would mesh with the team chemistry we enjoyed on last year's squad. Recruiting him may be worth a shot, but I'm 50/50 as to whether the positives outweigh the negatives. 

Edited by Coaches kid
typos

1 hour ago, Coaches kid said:

My kid played in the same high school league as Teddy, so I saw him quite a bit in high school. He was simply a man among boys in C-1 ball. His athleticism and quickness for his build and size was clearly at a D1 level.  He was an excellent rebounder and a great slasher. He had nice court vision and good handles for a guy his size as well. That being said, he was not a great jump shooter and he had substantial motivation and attitude issues. I thought he would need a year or two to develop his game to play at the college level. For that reason, his success as a freshman at WVU surprised me a bit, until I realized that the chaos and frenetic system Huggins employs was a perfect fit for his skill set. My concern with bringing him in is whether his skill set translates into success in Miles' system, not to mention the question of whether he would mesh with the team chemistry we enjoyed on last year's squad. Recruiting him may be worth a shot, but I'm 50/50 as to whether the positives outweigh the negatives. 

TBH seems like he would do well at Illinois or somewhere down the Huggins coaching tree

1 hour ago, jason2486 said:

Here's one thing that bothers me about our lack of in-state recruiting. Was Thor any better of a recruit than Wingett out of high school? I'm excited about Thor, but is it worth bringing a project from out of the country versus a project within an hour or two?

But maybe the next best player ever from Iceland will come here because of Thor.  But can the same be said for Winnabago?  I mean the best from Iceland would most likely be better than anything that came out of Nebraska.

Or maybe not.  Guess we will never know.

19 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

But maybe the next best player ever from Iceland will come here because of Thor.  But can the same be said for Winnabago?  I mean the best from Iceland would most likely be better than anything that came out of Nebraska.

Or maybe not.  Guess we will never know.

You my friend are playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers.  If that is how Miles is attacking foreign recruiting good for him.  Myself I woulda took Wingett 10 outta 10 times based on proximity, potential fan fair, and future projections but I do see your point 

with creighton looking at three spots open this fall, I wouldn't have minded our coaches reaching out to teddy. I know he's ancient for his class - but any true frosh at a P5 school with multiple 20pt outings will probably add something to your roster down the road. unless the character issues surrounding teddy were so staggering that he could have introduced a toxic element to the locker room (reading WVU boards it does not seem like this was the case). I do think he will be an amazing fit for Gregg Marshall - they have a knack for picking out these guys that others have concerns about and maximizing their potential. that's not a knock on their program, but a compliment, and I would imagine teddy will turn out to be a very good AAC player. best of luck to him!

1 hour ago, bleujay said:

when I saw wingett at the state tournament he didn't look good enough to play at nebraska or creighton. that was in 2016 though, and just my opinion

Shooting translates to any level of play. Work ethic and defense may be a concern but he’s plenty long to atleast be adequate on defense and he’s just a very gifted shooter. Something Nebraska doesn’t get very often 

15 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Work ethic concerns are usually a disqualifier at this level.  And that’s true for high level talent, let alone marginal players.

We talking the same level? The level of never winning a march madness game? I’m not saying he would be a star, heck he might not even be a rotational player but hey you get 13 scholarships to take some chances on kids. If penny thinks he can help Memphis then I think he could help Nebraska  

14 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Shooting translates to any level of play. Work ethic and defense may be a concern but he’s plenty long to atleast be adequate on defense and he’s just a very gifted shooter. Something Nebraska doesn’t get very often 

I may be quibbling but shooting does not always transfer to a higher level. How quick is your release? Where is your release point? How are you getting your shots, off the dribble or strictly catch and shoot? The defense is now longer and closes out faster. And simply playing at a higher level can get in your head and between the ears is where a lot of shots are missed.

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2017 PF David Wingett -> Memphis

Here is the thing, it doesn't appear the staff was interested in him.  I assume an evaluation was completed,  but perhaps I am wrong with that assumption.   So we now move on.  He has chosen to play for Penny at Memphis.  Hopefully it will be good fit all around.

By the way, how did Akoy Agau do after transferring from Louisville to Georgetown?