2017 PF David Wingett -> Memphis -> S. Dakota St

AuroranHusker

• 2 weeks later...

Also, on Wingett, I'll be honest about my reservations too.  Yes, I kinda like the kid in terms of what I've seen of him and his physical tools.  My fear is he gets to this level and his eyes glaze over at the speed of the game and the comparable athleticism that everyone else possesses.  He won't have seen that kind of across-the-board athleticism and his primary advantage at the HS level won't be such an advantage at the next level.  I think he can play at the B1G level, but he's going to have a transition to make just mentally.

I'll go on record now saying I kinda like this Wingett kid.  I think he shows some pretty decent athleticism for his size.  He's big enough to be a B1G 3 but maybe would need to grow another inch or two to really be an effective 4.  But he's decently athletic and long.

It's pretty clear to me why Miles likes him too:

"high-flying, 6-foot-7 junior"

#TeamAll6foot7Lineup

Fairly close game vs Hartington Central Catholic for Winnebago this evening. HCC led 25-24 at half. 

I think it's Hartington CEDAR Catholic, not Central Catholic.

Yeah, I realize that. Simple typo. Thanks Normy for the clarification.

Famous Hartington Cedar Catholic alum that is both a Super Bowl & College Champ is our very own Husker Russ Hochstein.

I'm of the opinion this is pretty close to a must get for Miles. Kid's got skills that will translate well to what Miles wants to do. Not sure he's a kid that walks in and contributes from day one. I think a redshirt year would do wonders for him, but he'll be a major factor at this level.

What was Wingett doing last summer?  And what will he be doing next summer?  I think he has to place himself against some respectable future D-1 level competition before we have an idea of how good he is.  Particularly when he is playing against C-2 competition during the school year.

I'm of the opinion this is pretty close to a must get for Miles. Kid's got skills that will translate well to what Miles wants to do. Not sure he's a kid that walks in and contributes from day one. I think a redshirt year would do wonders for him, but he'll be a major factor at this level.

What was Wingett doing last summer?  And what will he be doing next summer?  I think he has to place himself against some respectable future D-1 level competition before we have an idea of how good he is.  Particularly when he is playing against C-2 competition during the school year.

I don't know what he did last year. I'd expect he'll be playing AAU somewhere this summer. Being a reservation kid, though, I don't know if he'd have the cash to do that. I don't know how the funding works for all that or there's a way to get that cost covered for him. That said, I don't think the only way to measure a kids talent is by who he plays against.

I don't know what he did last year. I'd expect he'll be playing AAU somewhere this summer. Being a reservation kid, though, I don't know if he'd have the cash to do that. I don't know how the funding works for all that or there's a way to get that cost covered for him. That said, I don't think the only way to measure a kids talent is by who he plays against.

I dont think its the only way, but its probably the best way to measure their talent.  We have seen plenty of kids at small schools like this that dominate only to get to D1 and struggle mightily.  Guys like Hammond and Fuller come to mind that played in smaller classes that dominated only to get here are are 2 and 3 years in and not showing they truly belonged here.  Those cases are a reason why a coach may pass on a player like Wingett because taking that risk can be the difference of getting a player that saves your job or loses your job.

I dont think its the only way, but its probably the best way to measure their talent.  We have seen plenty of kids at small schools like this that dominate only to get to D1 and struggle mightily.  Guys like Hammond and Fuller come to mind that played in smaller classes that dominated only to get here are are 2 and 3 years in and not showing they truly belonged here.  Those cases are a reason why a coach may pass on a player like Wingett because taking that risk can be the difference of getting a player that saves your job or loses your job.

Exactly.  Miles will be riding a tightrope the next two years.  While there is some intriguing talent in the So/Jr NE high school classes, I don't know if any of these players are the type of talent that will push your program into the B10 1st division.  At the same time, there will be plenty of local pressure on Miles to recruit these guys, especially if Creighton is showing interest.  As you said, his job is riding on these recruiting outcomes.

I dont think its the only way, but its probably the best way to measure their talent. We have seen plenty of kids at small schools like this that dominate only to get to D1 and struggle mightily. Guys like Hammond and Fuller come to mind that played in smaller classes that dominated only to get here are are 2 and 3 years in and not showing they truly belonged here. Those cases are a reason why a coach may pass on a player like Wingett because taking that risk can be the difference of getting a player that saves your job or loses your job.

Exactly. Miles will be riding a tightrope the next two years. While there is some intriguing talent in the So/Jr NE high school classes, I don't know if any of these players are the type of talent that will push your program into the B10 1st division. At the same time, there will be plenty of local pressure on Miles to recruit these guys, especially if Creighton is showing interest. As you said, his job is riding on these recruiting outcomes.
im a Miles fan, but his job will ride a lot more on in game coaching improvements and player development.

They also played well in AAU ball. You can cherry pick a couple guys on the current roster if you want, but there are plenty of examples of small school players having success at this level, too. He could be the difference between keeping and losing your job if you let him get away just as much as if you take him and he doesn't pan out. They've seen him a lot and have a pretty good feel of what he can do from what I can gather.

They also played well in AAU ball. You can cherry pick a couple guys on the current roster if you want, but there are plenty of examples of small school players having success at this level, too. He could be the difference between keeping and losing your job if you let him get away just as much as if you take him and he doesn't pan out. They've seen him a lot and have a pretty good feel of what he can do from what I can gather.

Well Hammonds' play on the AAU circuit was actually what got him to drop out of the Rivals 150.  As for Fuller yes he did well playing AAU but not to discredit him or his team they werent exactly playing on the top echelon like Watson or Morrow did.  He was playing on the same level Roby was at before Roby jumped up to the Nike EYBL.  We all saw how Roby struggled when he made that jump last summer to the EYBL and his stats went down tremendously.

I just hope for his sake he finds an opportunity to play better competition.  If he doesnt I fell he will not get the Nebraska offer unless they strike out on other targets.

I see a player on the court that was better than Jalen Bradley, who I think should have been given a scholarship to NU. I still stand by that. JB won't ever be a standout, but he is a capable shooter, something this team could have certainly used the past couple of years. He would have had a role. He shot 40% from 3 this year, which would have been second on the team.

Wingett has similar scoring ability but does it at six inches taller and can play above the rim. I know people will balk at the comparison, different positions and yada, yada yada...whatever.

And I get the hesitation, but this is a kid that I think would be worth the gamble.