2018 PG Jordan Lathon -> UTEP

AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

I assume there is a bit of humor intended in your reply, well because there is a bit of humor in almost all of your reply’s. I trust our staff to do their due diligence and if they offer they will be comfortable with that offer. I don’t want Nebraska, in any sport to ever get to the, “ Damn the torpedoes, it is win now time!” 

- David Farragut

Glad to see you get me.?

Just haven fun, would rather be 0-30 and have quality guys here than anything else.

Also,tongue-in-check about how Miles will really need to win and win big this year so he might as well sell the farm for it all.

Edited by Silverbacked1

hmm. you'd think we'd be hearing more about us trying to get this kid.

-he's visited unl several times unofficially

-we just hired his lead recruiter from NW

-our starting point guard will be gone after this year

-we have an open spot

-we are also in the B1G just like NW.

if we are passing hopefully it's because there is a character issue and not because miles likes to leave an open scholarship.

From a Kansas City Star story on Mizzou recruiting:

A lot of talk has been centered around Grandview point guard Jordan Lathon, who recently opened up his recruitment after being a longtime Northwestern pledge. Many have wondered if Missouri would go after him, with just two scholarship point guards on board for next season.

So far, the Tigers haven’t. And the clock is ticking.

I’m told Lathon would surely be interested in Missouri if the offer came. But to quote an old coach who has been doing this longer than me, “If a guy is on the market this late, there’s probably a reason for it. It could be a good reason, or it could be a bad one.”

The word on Lathon is that he got denied admission to Northwestern. It’s one of the most prestigious schools in the country, but the Wildcats wouldn’t have taken him if he didn’t have the grades.

He had the entire year to get admitted to the school, so something is up. Missouri has to do its homework on Lathon if it's interested, and you can’t blame the Tigers for taking a pass.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article212310044.html

12 minutes ago, MandRHusker said:

Do we have any shot at Lathon after having just signed a PG?

I think a guy as long and athletic as Lathon (lanky and can jump out of the gym) can play 1-3.  Same with Amir.  Both guys could be on the court and have no issues.  Lathon has the skills to play some at the 2 this season IMO.  

58 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I think a guy as long and athletic as Lathon (lanky and can jump out of the gym) can play 1-3.  Same with Amir.  Both guys could be on the court and have no issues.  Lathon has the skills to play some at the 2 this season IMO.  

I agree. It is more a matter if both Amir  & Lathon have their hearts set on PG.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

If they can both shoot and score, why wouldn't we play two 6'5" PGs at the same time?

What would be the downside of having Jordan Lathon and Amir Harris on the floor together?

There is no downside for us. My question was about what Lathon & Harris want.

there's no guarantee he has a good relationship with gates. gates recruited him and then left, and the school gates recruited him to wouldn't even admit him.

just going off the film on youtube, i think harris has a brighter future, but i do think they could both play together in the backcourt.

we have harris, allen, nana, thor, davis all as underclassmen backcourt guys on the roster. i'm guessing jordan goes to a school with less guard competition.

but if he wants to be here, we should take him for sure.

Edited by TimSmiles

11 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

the school gates recruited him to wouldn't even admit him.

To clarify, he was admitted into Northwestern, the admittance was later revoked.  This is what raises red flags for me.  A person having their admittance revoked is something that happens in truly exceptional (and probably not in a good way) circumstances.

13 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

there's no guarantee he has a good relationship with gates. gates recruited him and then left, and the school gates recruited him to wouldn't even admit him.

Contrary to what’s been reported elsewhere, Washut says that Gates was not his primary recruiter at Northwestern.

Edited by Swan88

10 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Certainly agree.  The one positive thing from our perspective is the institution involved.  It is one of tremendously high standards.  There is potentially a large window of reasons for the revocation that most of us would be fine with.  

And it could be something stupid that makes him radioactive just because of the current cultural fevers of the day.  

He's obviously not been arrested, so it's not something involving a 15-year-old girl or a burglary or assault.

Obviously, we'd need to do our due diligence, but this kid is a player and I sure as hell wouldn't mind seeing him in a Husker uniform.

50 minutes ago, 49r said:

To clarify, he was admitted into Northwestern, the admittance was later revoked.  This is what raises red flags for me.  A person having their admittance revoked is something that happens in truly exceptional (and probably not in a good way) circumstances.

From what I can tell reading NW message boards is that it wasn't due to grades. He also there doesn't seem to be any sort of public record like an arrest or court date.

My best guess is that he did something "dumb" enough that Northwestern says no.  Oklahoma St has offered and they let Doug Gotlieb in after he did something "dumb" (I'm not saying Lathom stole credit cards..I have no idea what happened)

With the squeaky-clean type culture Miles has going on here plus Amir Harris and our need for a post player it would be surprising to me if we did offer Lathon.

• 2 months later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2018 Jordan Lathon -> UTEP
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2018 PG Jordan Lathon -> UTEP