Sipple nailing it! Great article

PimpMario

Sipple basically conveys how I feel. Time to go to work.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-prepare-for-shift-in-nu-hoops-conversation/article_34104378-eca9-53c0-8e60-b2749b040d49.html

The conversation should be much different at this time next season.

Fast forward to late February 2017. The Nebraska men's basketball team should be battling for late-season wins to polish its NCAA Tournament resume. Tim Miles will be in his fifth season at NU. It will be time to go dancing again.

For now, it's OK for Nebraska to aim for the 32-team NIT, or 16-team College Basketball Invitational, or 32-team CollegeInsider.com Tournament, or the new Vegas 16.

The key words: for now.

In the frustration of Saturday night's 65-62 overtime loss to Ohio State, even the most cynical of Nebraska fans would have to admit the Huskers this season often have played at a level befitting a postseason tournament team.

Nebrasketball will be fine. The team is getting incrementally better. Hopefully Shavon comes back at PSU, and the team gets on a roll to finish up 2016!! 2017 will have to wait, for now. 

One thing that I noticed today was my feeling going into the conference tourney.  I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, so I can't talk about what happened there.  In previous years, I don't know how many times that I have always looked at the conference tourney and went yikes... I hope we get this seed or that seed.  I remember hoping to squeak out of there with a win... possibly two!! This year my feelings are different.  I see a team who could compete no matter where we end up.  It is kind of a nice feeling to have.

Yes we could still see this team fail to win a game in the conference tourney, but we could also see them win a few.  This team has shown they have heart, they will fight, and they can compete with any team in the conference.  Can we be that team no one will want to play in the conference tourney?  We all have seen what happens to some good teams when they get challenged in March.  We have the build to play spoiler this year, so I hope the team doesn't give up. 

Great points in the article.  The honeymoon period is definitely over for me.  Next year, other than injuries, hard to find any excuses not to be playing in the NCAA's in year five of the Miles program.

In four years of this program we've gotten about a month of good basketball in 2014.  With all the resources and upgrades the athletic department has put into this program patience are running thin.

The little engine that could program, the eternal underdogs.  Maybe next year Miles and Co. can finally begin to shed those labels.  They sure aren't doing it this year.

Great points in the article. The honeymoon period is definitely over for me. Next year, other than injuries, hard to find any excuses not to be playing in the NCAA's in year five of the Miles program.

In four years of this program we've gotten about a month of good basketball in 2014. With all the resources and upgrades the athletic department has put into this program patience are running thin.

The little engine that could program, the eternal underdogs. Maybe next year Miles and Co. can finally begin to shed those labels. They sure aren't doing it this year.

I know this has been beaten to a pulp but it will continue through the offseason. Yes, next year is Miles' 5th. I do believe it's time to see results. But haven't we seen some results already? If you would've told me at the time at hiring that within 4 years we would make the tournament I would have been more than okay with that. Well, that happened. Except it was in year 2. Whether we just got hot or whatever, it still happened. My question to those discounting that is would an improbable tear though the Big 10 tourney this year, winning it all, and making the dance "not count" as a real tournament appearance because we struggled to win in the regular season? So was making the tournament in year 2 just bad timing? Should Miles have taken his time so as to have his team peak in year 3? Year 3 was a disaster and that's all on Miles and the early success and departures after season 3 led to Miles essentially starting over. Way more freshman on the team this year than he anticipated having to bring in. Anyone with eyes can see the direction of the team this year (although losing), the development of those players, and the new crop of players coming in next year has this program going in the right direction.

So if next year's team gets say 18, 19, maybe 20 wins and fails to make the NCAA tournament again, is Miles done here? Or is that seen as progress and the feeling is then that the crop of Watson, Morrow, McVeigh, Jacobson would be poised to dance their junior and senior years?

Good post ajb5856.  When you step back and take an objective overall look at the program today, I think Miles has us right where we should be.  He first need was to step up recruiting which he has done.  That is something that couldn't be done right away as it takes a few years.  I do understand it's one thing to get the players and another thing to be able to win with them.  He is still playing with a few of Doc's recruits so next year, it will be the first year it will be all his recruits. 

I find it amazing how some people wanted to give Doc more time here and yet are starting to call for MIles seat to get warm.  We have lost good assistant coaches every year and yet we are still very competitive.  I happened to watch Southern Miss play on TV this past weekend and I'd take a Miles coached team any day.  Miles has only been here 3 full years and has taken us to the NCAA tournament 33% of the time (Granted that will drop to 25% after this year).  Based one the recruiting efforts he and his staff has done, I don't see anything less than 2 more years.  If we are still around .500 at that time, then I can see the need to start wondering if he is the right guy or not.  Till them, I'm still drinking the kool-aid.

We on here often live in our little kingdom where we are civil and are willing to look at the whole picture.  Some on here have said that they don't think Tim's seat is warm, however these are the answers online to Sip's article.  I know some of these guys are Husker trolls, but it is also what some people I have been around say after a loss.  I think it is the Fantasy Sports ideal that if that player didn't work for me this week, dump them and find somebody new right now.  Just thought some of these are way off base and others are kind of thought out.  Enjoy:

Jamie Scott · 
I used to believe 100 percent. Now, I'm struggling after some of the coaching decisions I've witnessed. We'll see . . .
Like · Reply · like.png2 · Feb 21, 2016 7:44am
12347967_878495782240456_676254057444009

Bill Morrissey · 
Miles cannot continue to receive technical fouls every game. Against Ohio State & Maryland his technical fouls hurt us badly in these close games...
Like · Reply · like.png3 · 23 hrs
12140841_124846454539474_582930100492570

Dale Behrens
he cant coach period gets stupid technicals at the worst times and unless he gets a decent big man in here next year hes done 3 out of 4 losing seasons 1 more year the clock is ticking and he needs a assistant that can work with bigs and has been in the leauge not these clowns
Like · Reply · 22 hrs
12235083_10206850468973630_1128011998169

Mark Nelson · 
Ya, ya, always next year. Too many "role players" that really should be playing at UNO rather than UNL. Long on heart, short on Big 10 talent. And to not have one big man in four years is inexcusable. OSU did nothing the whole second half other than drive the lane and either hit the shot or get fouled. Miles just stood and watched. #noadjustments Being a nice guy does not equal wins...in any league. So much for the new facilities attracting talent.
Like · Reply · like.png2 · 19 hrs
10646631_873852019299881_257498104293033

Troy Phipps · 
Seen this show before, Slippery Joe, Moe, Nee, Collier and Sadler. Time to move on.
Like · Reply · like.png3 · 18 hrs
12241755_10207958401579174_4141124855189

Mike Stalder · 
Telltale sign of problems was when the big non-guard was bringing ball up in a crucial possession only to have it stripped. And nobody went to help.
Like · Reply · like.png2 · 16 hrs
12717170_192532594441583_830414252404013

Rick Fulton · 
Mr Sipp is dreaming. Coach Miles will have the same season next year he had this year. How good can Miles be when Tom Osborne hired him? 
I am not saying Miles should be fired; who really cares? Just because he makes 2.5 million dollars a year while the players get Jack S... doesn't mean anything.
That is the norm in this awful system.
Like · Reply · like.png1 · 14 hrs
1969355_10153870506400035_1635052265_n.j

Jim Betzelberger · 
"Next Year" never seems to arrive. Injuries and youth is the excuse this year. What happened last year ?? No pressure when the fan base has low expectations every year.
Like · Reply · 11 hrs
10479233_273174686218641_637220966338445

Matt Smith
Who's paying you to write this Sipple? Come on Steven, you know very well there isn't anything changing with the program and Tim Miles. I feel bad for the players who know how to win before they come under Tim's "find a way to lose" mentality. The technicals never cease.
Like · Reply · 10 hrs
12314056_102680793438127_175326171496743
Dave Heinzman
Same old stuff , next year ...... fire miles !!!!!!!!!!

I fully believe that theres nothing to worry about and we are in good hands.

On that note, for next year i believe we have a lot of good talent and if we bring in Jordy Tshimanga then we are set for a good year that ends with the NCAA tournament.

Glynn and Anton will be a scoring duo that nobody can handle with Tai having the same role off the bench, AWIII is still getting buckets, McVeigh/Roby/Morrow give us a good scoring forward presence, and Jordy and Michael are eating up the boards inside.

Can't wait to see the era of Anton/Glynn

I guess I agree with that expectation for next year.  However, I don't agree with the idea that MIles is on anything other than a cold seat.  His recruiting ability is going to make us a hovering Top 25 program one day.  I have almost no doubt about that. 

It's very difficult to tell how good or bad a coach is when they don't quite have the bodies required to compete.  It's a dead horse, but Miles MUST get a serviceable 5.  If he does, the 1-4 we roll out will be as good as anyone in the B1G next year. 

All that said, Miles' approach to building this program has been very patient and pragmatic.  We've seen some recruit misses on bigs because he has decided that his 4* standard for players is set.  He's not going to land a miss.  Recruits need to be good enough to contribute, and I appreciate that.  Talent is how you win long term, especially in college BB.

I'm pretty sure Miles could coach any blueblood to an NCAA tournament every year.  Conversely, I don't think coach K could come in and turn this year's team into a top 5 B1G squad.  Just some perspective.  Recruiting matters infinitely more, and Miles is a hell of a recruiter.  The leash should be long for a guy who can bring in the caliber of athlete he does. 

Can't wait to see the era of Anton/Glynn

Any word on how good Anton has been? What should we be expecting from him next year?

Really, really good. Just a couple weeks ago he dropped in 30 in a scrimmage against our main rotation guys. He's more of a slashing guard with speed but has a mid range pull up game plus he can fill it up from 3. I think he'll compliment White perfectly. I would assume Miles would play Watson/Gill/White at 1/2/3. If we can defend with those 3, the upgrade over Watson/Benny/White is incredible. Nothing against Benny, but Gill will be another legit weapon that defenses will have to worry about.

Are we the most inexperience team in the league this year?  I think we've been beat by some equally young, if not younger, teams this year (Ohio State?).  So that excuse doesn't hold much weight with me, especially at this point in the season.

So I guess as long as we are young and 15000 keep going to the games Tim Miles has nothing to worry about. 

I'd love to see a run the B1G tourney this year!  I just think next year a lot of pieces will be in place, I'm sure Sipple does too, thus the article.  I'm just finding it hard to find excuses, outside of injuries, for not making the NCAA's next year.  Especially if Gill is all he is being built up to be.  I always hear about expectations being a good thing in Husker football, why not basketball too?

My hope is by this time next year, we will all be commenting on how to keep Miles around for a long time and what seed we should be getting in the NCAA tourney.

Are we the most inexperience team in the league this year?  I think we've been beat by some equally young, if not younger, teams this year (Ohio State?).  So that excuse doesn't hold much weight with me, especially at this point in the season.

So I guess as long as we are young and 15000 keep going to the games Tim Miles has nothing to worry about. 

I'd love to see a run the B1G tourney this year!  I just think next year a lot of pieces will be in place, I'm sure Sipple does too, thus the article.  I'm just finding it hard to find excuses, outside of injuries, for not making the NCAA's next year.  Especially if Gill is all he is being built up to be.  I always hear about expectations being a good thing in Husker football, why not basketball too?

My hope is by this time next year, we will all be commenting on how to keep Miles around for a long time and what seed we should be getting in the NCAA tourney.

Yes, I believe we are.  There are other teams who have lots of freshmen like us, but they also have more filled out upper classes as well, so they don't depend as much on their Freshmen and Sophomores as we do.

If Petteway and Pitchford would have stayed for their Sr. year (or if even one had) then I don't think we would be the most inexperienced team.

Are we the most inexperience team in the league this year?

Yes, I believe we are.  There are other teams who have lots of freshmen like us, but they also have more filled out upper classes as well, so they don't depend as much on their Freshmen and Sophomores as we do.

No. Ohio State has one Jr (Marc Loving) and the rest are Freshmen and Sophomores. Wisconsin is also a little bit younger than us. 

My question is what does NCAA or bust mean? Like bust as in Miles is fired at the end of next season if we don't make the tournament? Seems quite a bit ridiculous even though I also expect (really want) for us to make tourney next year.

I'll ask the question I asked a few posts ago again. If we win 18, 19, or 20 games next year but miss the NCAA tournament what good reason do we have to get rid of Miles? Without sounding too apologetic, yes there have been flaws, but if we continue to see progression, get another solid recruiting class, but just miss out on being selected, there is no reason to freak out. And firing Miles next year would be freaking out. Next year will be Miles' first with all of his own recruits.

I fully expect to make the tournament next year, it's just what I anticipate happening based on what I've seen with my eyes this year. If more questions arise and year 5 resembles year 3 then by all means the seat is warm. I just have a hard time with NCAA or bust next season. Especially if in busting we show more progression, see promise in the Roby, Horne, plus whoever else class rolling in behind this year's freshman and sign up another good class behind those guys.

My question is what does NCAA or bust mean? Like bust as in Miles is fired at the end of next season if we don't make the tournament? Seems quite a bit ridiculous even though I also expect (really want) for us to make tourney next year.

I'll ask the question I asked a few posts ago again. If we win 18, 19, or 20 games next year but miss the NCAA tournament what good reason do we have to get rid of Miles? Without sounding too apologetic, yes there have been flaws, but if we continue to see progression, get another solid recruiting class, but just miss out on being selected, there is no reason to freak out. And firing Miles next year would be freaking out. Next year will be Miles' first with all of his own recruits.

I fully expect to make the tournament next year, it's just what I anticipate happening based on what I've seen with my eyes this year. If more questions arise and year 5 resembles year 3 then by all means the seat is warm. I just have a hard time with NCAA or bust next season. Especially if in busting we show more progression, see promise in the Roby, Horne, plus whoever else class rolling in behind this year's freshman and sign up another good class behind those guys.

I'm in agreement with this sentiment.  The standard has been raised by Miles himself--certainly not by his 2.5 predecessors.  He's become the victim of his own success because he did a miracle job recruiting and developing talent right away. 

If you look at next year's contributing lineup:

Seniors:  White, Webster, ?

Juniors:  Hammond, Gill, Fuller

Sophomores:  Watson, McVeigh, Jacobson, Morrow, Evelyn

Freshmen:  Roby, Horne, ?

We're going to win more games.  There's no doubt.  If Miles ends up getting a center as a graduate transfer or freshman, I don't know how anyone could look at this group (with, what, 6 highly touted recruits and 2 more who were just as good and under the radar?) and not see a foundation being completely changed in the program.  Miles hasn't gone with the quick fix.  He's gone with investments that will pay dividends. 

I don't think Nebraska fans have the luxury of measuring our coach by an NCAA tournament standard until Miles and these awesome recruits raise that bar for us again.  How can we?  We haven't had that standard in 20+ years.  Instead, we should probably be going with empirical evidence that Miles is the guy and Nebraskans are patient people.  We also have actual proof that he can make the tournament because he did that already, so I really don't get the doubters regarding the big picture.  He's already answered all of my questions (coaching/recruiting).  The puzzle just has to tighten up a little more. 

I did a little calculation.  This is based on minutes played per class, and weighted by class (Sr. x 4, Jr. x 3, Soph x 2).  It doesn't take into account Minutes played previously.  For example, White barely played in his 2 years at KU.  If I had more time, and my excel file worked, I would try to calculate based on that.  For now, here are the results.

Iowa 3.096 (Most experienced team)

Michigan State 2.765

Maryland 2.758

Indiana 2.739

Penn State 2.622

Northwestern 2.605

Purdue 2.520

Illinois 2.469

Michigan 2.445

Nebraska 2.407

Rutgers 2.394

Wisconsin 2.328

Minnesota 2.266

Ohio State 1.808 (Least experienced team)

Notes:  Nebraska's freshmen have played 38.2% of the available minutes.  Most in the conference.  2nd is Minnesota at 35.3% and 3rd is Ohio State at 35.2%.  Iowa is far and away the most Senior laden team, with their Seniors playing 57% of the available minutes.  Wisconsin's Juniors play 62.8% of the time.  They will be a tough team next year, if everyone stays.  Michigan is leading the sophomores playing 52.8% of the minutes.