Maryland ( 19-3) vs. Nebraska ( 12-10) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

I'm not happy, but I can't fault our effort or perseverance. Just a lack of size to counter their inside play. Make a couple more free throws, finish the 2 on 1s, get some calls on drives against their bigs, and we have a w

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Our fast break offense was not good, but Maryland had a 4 on 1, missed the lay-up, and fouled.  It was terrible transition offense all around, but it was big boy basketball.  We need to go through a tackling dummy drill down low, and start making shots because we haven't been getting calls during Big 10 play when we try to love the rim.

We TOOK 17 more shots than MD did but MADE 4 fewer. How many blocked shots did Stone have? Difference in the ball game was a dominant big man and no answer for it even more so than in the Purdue game.

We needed Jacobson to hit some early jump shots to pull him away from the basket.  He did go 8-15 from the floor.  Hammonds went 11-14 for Purdue. 

We TOOK 17 more shots than MD did but MADE 4 fewer. How many blocked shots did Stone have? Difference in the ball game was a dominant big man and no answer for it even more so than in the Purdue game.

It's not just blocked shots, it's also the missed opportunities from turnovers. We could have had a 10 point lead at half if we could have made some shots early on.

Damn...wanted that one. Gave it a good go...we have a chance to string some W's together coming up. Time to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need to learn how to finish these games.  We had a 3 point lead with just under 8 minutes to go.  Need to extend the lead, and find a way to get a victory.

Just got home from the game, so frustrating.  Maryland was there for the taking.  It seemed we found ways to lose (free throws, transition baskets, rebounding).  Another home loss *sigh*.

Maybe its my mood tonight, but shouldn't great "effort" be a given and expected?  I guess I'm just tired of feeling good about our "effort".

On the plus side, my first game in the 200 level.  Great view.  Highly recommend.

Exceptional effort....but. disappointing execution.  For example, we forced a ton of turnovers, but points off of turnover were not there. 

I swear to God we must be coached not to pass on breaks no matter what the numbers.  This has been an issue for a long time but it was glaring tonight.  Three times we had numbers on a break and the player with the ball just took it to the basket when we had guys on the wings ahead of them.  Each time it looked to me like one pass (and maybe a pass back) gets you an uncontested layup - but we refused to make that pass each time and failed to score each time when we had numbers on a break.  Plus it was three separate guys - Webster, White and Shields.    I think we finally ran into team that has recognized this and coached the guys that if you are outnumbered on a break against us just contest the player with the ball and don't worry about the guys on the wings because they are not going to get the ball.

If this has already been asked, and answered, then I apologize:   Why did the ref stop the clock during the first half to talk to Maryland's coach?

I believe it was to give the Maryland bench a "warning." Why Miles and the Nebraska bench did not get the same courtesy I don't know.  And it's why I was not made to be a basketball coach at any level as if I was Miles in that instance I would have went all Barry Collier on the refs ass and thrown my water bottle across the floor. 

If this has already been asked, and answered, then I apologize:   Why did the ref stop the clock during the first half to talk to Maryland's coach?

I believe it was to give the Maryland bench a "warning." Why Miles and the Nebraska bench did not get the same courtesy I don't know.  And it's why I was not made to be a basketball coach at any level as if I was Miles in that instance I would have went all Barry Collier on the refs ass and thrown my water bottle across the floor. 

That's what I thought too.  And I reached the same conclusion you did about why Miles wasn't given the same treatment. 

As a side, I saw Pitchford at the game last night. 

Exceptional effort....but. disappointing execution.  For example, we forced a ton of turnovers, but points off of turnover were not there. 

I swear to God we must be coached not to pass on breaks no matter what the numbers This has been an issue for a long time but it was glaring tonight.  Three times we had numbers on a break and the player with the ball just took it to the basket when we had guys on the wings ahead of them.  Each time it looked to me like one pass (and maybe a pass back) gets you an uncontested layup - but we refused to make that pass each time and failed to score each time when we had numbers on a break.  Plus it was three separate guys - Webster, White and Shields.    I think we finally ran into team that has recognized this and coached the guys that if you are outnumbered on a break against us just contest the player with the ball and don't worry about the guys on the wings because they are not going to get the ball.

One of the times in the first half, it was that White didn't fill a secondary lane.  He's running down the middle of the floor with a defender in between him and the ball handler.  Makes it tough to deliver a pass.  The next time, when Benny and Jacobson got that steal, it was more of a diagonal pass to a cutting White that resulted in the alley oop slam.

Another time, the spacing was just really bad.  The ball handler was leading the break and should have kicked it to the guy in the outside lane for a return pass layup, but just kept it.

The other times I remember, it just looked like bad decision-making with the ball and selfish play. 

Next time melo goes up someone needs to casually cut his legs. That was some sneaky bullshit he pulled on Watson. 100% intentional.

Melo Trimble is the Hillary Clinton of college basketball.  Two sets of rules for him....on both ends of the floor.  

That may be but the guy is clutch.  Those 3's were huge to keep the game tied.

The TV guys said Maryland was given a bench warning.  As was pointed out, if you warn one side you need to warn the other side first too.  Only thing I can think is Miles told the guy he dressed funny and his mom had hairy legs.

The TV guys said Maryland was given a bench warning.  As was pointed out, if you warn one side you need to warn the other side first too.  Only thing I can think is Miles told the guy he dressed funny and his mom had hairy legs.

Miles must have thought that he was still in Spain.

so she is done growing then huh?