24 point underdogs at michigan...

FredsSlacks

BTW, here are the heights of the starters for this undefeated team

6'0", 6'6", 6'6", 6'6", 6'8"

They have three 6'10" who get sparse playing time.

In other words, you don't have to have a dominant big man to be good...they don't

True but your littles had better be able to put hte ball in the basket.

True but your littles had better be able to put hte ball in the basket.

That is exactly the type of team we're trying to build.

If we don't have one of the best shooting teams in the NCAA in the next 2-3 years MIles isn't following his own plan.

The 6'8" guy they have is 250 lbs so they do have a bit of size on the court which is what we're looking to do with our big man recruiting

BTW, here are the heights of the starters for this undefeated team

6'0", 6'6", 6'6", 6'6", 6'8"

They have three 6'10" who get sparse playing time.

In other words, you don't have to have a dominant big man to be good...they don't

Kinda reminds me of Illinois' Final 4 team from 1989:

Nick Anderson, 6'6"

Kendall Gill, 6'5"

Kenny Battle, 6'6"

Steve Bardo, 6'5"

Marcus Liberty, 6'8"

Lowell Hamilton, 6'7"

Who knew that Lou Henson was ahead of his time?

If Michigan only scores 75 points tonight, they must have pulled the starters and played some guys in the band late in the game.

They look like they could hang a 100 on a lot of teams right now.

And that is just in their flow, not trying to run up the score.

We're not Iowa

I got an ominous feeling reading the OWH article this morning:

In this case, he plans to get back in transition, pack in his defense and let the nation's fourth-best 3-point shooting team (42.3 percent) fire away.

“They've shot the 3 so well that I've got to believe they're going to return to the mean,” Miles said. “They are at 53 percent in league play, and they are making a lot of them. The numbers show they're not going to consistently do that.”

When was the last time someone put up 120 on us?

In this case, he plans to get back in transition, pack in his defense and let the nation's fourth-best 3-point shooting team (42.3 percent) fire away.

“They've shot the 3 so well that I've got to believe they're going to return to the mean,” Miles said. “They are at 53 percent in league play, and they are making a lot of them. The numbers show they're not going to consistently do that.”

I believe we gave up 119 to OU in triple OT back in the mid-90s.  That was the game where a Jaron Boone gamewinner was waived off because he was beyond the line of the backboard extended when he shot it.  Never, ever seen that call made before or since.  We wuz robbed.

I believe we gave up 119 to OU in triple OT back in the mid-90s.  That was the game where a Jaron Boone gamewinner was waived off because he was beyond the line of the backboard extended when he shot it.  Never, ever seen that call made before or since.  We wuz robbed.

I was thinking about that game, couldn't remember if they got 120+ or not.  Man, those Billy Tubbs OU teams could score.

And yeah, we were robbed.  That game sucked.

Okay, going back through the records, the last time someone put up 100+ on us was in the '99 NIT against TCU (101) coincidentally, Billy Tubbs was their coach back then, more on this in a moment.

The last time we put up 100+ was against NC A&T in 2005 (107)

=============================================

Other 100+ point game factoids for NU hoops history.

=============================================

• First time we had 100 put on us was by Kansas State in 1963 (100)
  • First time we put 100+ on someone was against Wisconsin in 1965 (101)

• We've had 38 100+ scoring games (34-4).
  • We've had 31 games where the opponent has put 100+ on us (4-27).

• We got 100+ hung on us 6 times in 89-90 (1-5).
  • We had 7 100+ games in 90-91 (7-0).

• Most we've ever scored on someone is 117, against Harvard in '89 and against Oklahoma in the '91 Big 8 Tournament (both wins)
  • Most we've ever had scored on us is 133, by Oklahoma in 1987.  Second most is 119 by Marshall in the 1967 NIT.

• The team we've scored 100 or more on the most times is Oklahoma (7)
  • The team that's scored 100 or more on us the most times is Oklahoma (8)
  • The record in games where one or both of those teams went for 100 or more is 7 wins for Oklahoma and 5 for Nebraska.

Now, back to the Billy Tubbs for a moment.  In the 12 games between Nebraska and Oklahoma that I mention above, Billy Tubbs was the coach for all but two, and Danny Nee was the coach for all but one.  We beat OU in 1968, 110-90 (Joe Cipriano vs. John MacLeod) and in 1996 was the epic 3 overtime game in Norman that Norm mentioned which we lost 100-117 (Danny Nee vs. Kelvin Sampson).  Again, Nee and Tubbs met one final time in the 1999 NIT second round against TCU, the Horned Frogs won that game 101-89.  In the 10 Nee/Tubbs games where at least one of the teams scored over 100 (11 if you count the TCU game) interestingly enough, only 2 went to overtime.  The 117-113 win in the Big 8 tournament first round in 1991, and a 111-115 Nebraska loss at home in 1994.

So, the answer to my question above (when was the last time someone scored 120 on us) is that it's only happened once.  In 1987 against Oklahoma.

Okay, going back through the records, the last time someone put up 100+ on us was in the '99 NIT against TCU (101) coincidentally, Billy Tubbs was their coach back then, more on this in a moment.

The odds of Michigan scoring over 100 points on us are roughly the same as us winning the game: very small

Behind Enemy Lines: Q&A with Nebraska's Tim Miles - The Michigan Daily

Miles is the new man in charge of a Nebraska team that won just four conference games and finished dead last in the Big Ten last year, but he looked like a coach that was more than comfortable in Chicago.

Lost in all the hoopla was that Miles is actually a pretty darn good basketball coach. He was hired away from Colorado State, where he had been since 2007.

Interview from B1G media days, but still a pretty decent read.

The odds of Michigan scoring over 100 points on us are roughly the same as us winning the game: very small

Yeah, my original query was just an attempt at some gallows humor, I guess.  But it did get me thinking about 100 point games that Nebraska has been involved in and inspired me to do some research, which I found at least a little bit enlightening.

And seeing as how no team, and I repeat NO team, has put up 100 or more on us in the Collier, Sadler and Miles eras, I would feel pretty confident that trend will continue tonight.  I was somewhat surprised to find that roughly 2/3 of the 100 point games we've had in our history were during the Nee era.  And just about HALF of those were games against Oklahoma, and more specifically, Billy Tubbs.