Looking ahead (don't get mad, bro)

Norm Peterson

If you're not one who likes talking about "next year" when this year is still happening, STOP READING THIS POST.

OK, you were warned. 

But I look at this roster and think we now have a pretty good idea of what we have.  There's still one spot open right now and there might be some additional attrition because, you never know, stuff sometimes happens.

My crystal ball ain't perfect, so I don't know if we land a big like the one we're talking about over on the recruiting forum.  But, having said that, here's what we think we know or can safely surmise for next year:

Guards:

Gone:  Benny Parker

Back:  Tai Webster (Sr.), Glynn Watson (So.), Bakari Evelyn (So.)

New:  Anton Gill (Jr.)

Glynn is clutch and possibly the best PG we've had since Tyron Lue.  Tai has really stepped up his game since last year and has become a two-level scorer but is still a bit inconsistent on the offensive end.  He has become, however, a consistent defensive stopper.  Anton is a wild card.  He doesn't have much resume at Louisville, but he was a top 50 national recruit coming out of high school and played like a top 50 recruit at the open-to-the-public scrimmage last fall.

I don't know what to think of Bakari.  I'm not convinced he's at the level we need to move our program upward in the conference and national standings.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with him. 

I think we have a very solid group of three players, at least two of whom can handle point duties.  (Tai is a combo guard and can slide back and forth between the two back court spots.)  I'm guessing that Anton will represent a substantial improvement on the offensive end over Benny, but it's yet to be seen what he'll do on defense. 

Other than Bakari (realistically, I've seen about as much from Anton as I have from Bakari and it speaks volumes that the one is sitting out because transfer rules require it while the other just isn't playing much) I feel pretty good about the players in this group.  There's just not a lot of depth there and zero room for injuries.  Plus, it's an older group with a senior and a junior.  It'd be nice if we could land another guard in the '16 class, especially a guy who can shoot well from deep, which it doesn't look like Bakari can, at least not reliably enough.

Wings:

Gone:  None

Back:  Andrew White III (Sr.), Nick Fuller (Jr.), Jack McVeigh (So.),

New:  Isaiah Roby (Fr.)

Andrew White is to the wing position as Glynn Watson is to the guard spot.  Except older.  He's a flat-out stud.  Great demeanor.  Excellent shooter.  Really brings something to the position.  Very solid player.  Surprisingly good rebounder.  McVeigh has had some good moments.  At times he looks special, but he's a true freshman so he's looked lost at times as well.  But, by and large, you feel like he's going to be a solid contributor before all is said and done.  Roby has the potential for greatness, by all indications coming out of his senior year of high school. 

Depth is certainly not a problem at the wing position for us the way things shape up for next year.  And I haven't talked about Nick Fuller yet.  Not coincidentally, his name comes up involving a discussion of depth.  He's looking to be odd-man out.  He's not seeing a lot of minutes this year.  He hasn't logged any minutes in the last three games.  I don't think he wants to leave but neither do I see much opportunity for him to see the floor here if he stays.  This position just has a glut of talent, especially with a kid like Roby coming in.  This spot is in very, very good hands.

Bigs:

Gone:  Shavon Shields

Back:  Jake Hammond (Jr.), Michael Jacobson (So.), Ed Morrow (So)

New:  Jeriah Horne (Fr.)

In a different lineup, Shavon might be considered a wing.  So might Jeriah.  In some lineups, though, Isaiah Roby and Jack McVeigh might be considered stretch 4s.  So, this is an approximation to some extent and not an exact science; therefore, take these labels with a little grain of salt.

Having said that, this is the position that, while it has lots of depth, is still missing a player.

Jake Hammond won't be mistaken for A.J. Hammons any time soon, even if people sometimes spell his last name that way.  Like Nick Fuller, Jake hasn't logged any minutes the last three games.  This in spite of being our tallest player on a team lacking height.  Instead, he's been supplanted by a couple of true freshmen who give up 2-4 inches to him in height.  That's not a good sign for him.  And I'm not bashing the kid; it's just an objective fact.  If things keep going the way they are and he chose not to stick it out with this program any longer, I think few people would be surprised.

That leaves us with returning players Jacobson and Morrow and new kid Horne.  Jacobson and Morrow have been playing the 5 by default but both have skillsets and size that make them better fits at the 4, which is where Shavon has been playing this season.  And neither one of them are going to knock Shavon out of the starting lineup at that spot, so playing the 5 by default is going to have to do for this year. 

But next year, there's an opportunity to pick up some minutes at the 4 unless, as some have projected, Jack McVeigh ends up getting inserted into the starting lineup as a stretch 4.  And I think some of that will depend on whether, with our last open scholarship spot, we can land a guy who can come in from Day 1 and be that legit 5 for us.  If that happens, I don't think McVeigh is a shoe-in to start at the 4.  I think Jacobson's claim to stay in the starting lineup is as strong or stronger.  Right now, McVeigh is a better shooter; Jacobson is stronger and a better rebounder.  And who knows what Ed Morrow could do if he was unleashed next to a legit post.

The X-factor is Horne, who is under-tall but beefy and, from everything I've seen, he can shoot well, can score the ball in a variety of ways, and has a nose for rebounding.  That'd be a tall hill for him to come in and climb past the guys on the current roster but, again, much depends on what happens with that last open spot (as well as whether other, additional spots come open in the off-season.)

We have some solid players at the 4 and 5 for next year, but we still lack that legit big man who can hold down the paint defensively and give us maybe a little more than the occasional put-back, tip-in that we're getting from the current crew.  Yet to be seen what happens there.

So, my bottom line in all of this, and my reason for kind of putting my thoughts down in writing:  I think we have some very good-to-excellent players to populate the 1-4 spots.  What we don't have is a legit 5.  Hopefully, recruiting efforts work out and a legit 5 with the ability to start from Day 1 materializes for us.  Otherwise, we'll have to make due again, like this year, with guys playing out of position. 

If an additional spot would happen to come open, I'd love to see a combo PG/SG with a good perimeter jumper.  Our guards/wings right now are getting long in the tooth, with 2 turning seniors and a junior-to-be coming in, to go along with our sophomore-to-be at point.  And because I don't feel super comfortable about what Bakari will bring to the table, I'd really like to see us land a quality guard in the '16 class if there's still anyone available worth taking.

That's my 2 cents.  Probably could have added this to the State of the Program thread, but I didn't want to steal anyone else's thunder.

How great is it to have a nearly 'complete' roster with Big Ten quality at every spot. Fun times ahead. Good stuff, Normy. I think Nebraska could realistically add a 'big' and either a H.S., JUCO, or, perhaps even more ideally a transfer guard (as we all know that there very well could be another 800 transfers this off-season - lol). GBR

Who is saying next year? We are in the midst of a good run now. Prospects for the rest of the season are strong.

I am able to multi-task my fandom. 

I'm also monitoring National Letter of Intent signing day for football and calibrating the Panthers-Broncos match-up in the Super Bowl.

And, since there's a lull between games, I thought I'd do a little forecasting on what this team might look like next year.  I've always been one to look ahead, and not necessarily as any reflection on the current season.

Who is saying next year? We are in the midst of a good run now. Prospects for the rest of the season are strong.

I agree.  It will take a good effort but do think we can go 5-5 to finish out the conference schedule.  That would put us 9-9 in conference play and 17-14 overall.  Not a great overall record but with a top half finish in the Big 10, I think it would get us in the NIT.

I agree.  It will take a good effort but do think we can go 5-5 to finish out the conference schedule.  That would put us 9-9 in conference play and 17-14 overall.  Not a great overall record but with a top half finish in the Big 10, I think it would get us in the NIT.

I think we will have to do better than that...I plugged us winning 4 out of our 5 home games and winning @PSU and that gives us...as of right now a RPI of 129 and SOS of 96. The lowest ranked power 5 school(per RPI) last year was Vanderbilt with an RPI of 104.  18 wins MIGHT get us in...but I think we need to get to 19.  I just want to see the young guys continue to progress as we have seen the past few weeks. 

What are the odds we'd accept an invite to the CBI if we don't get anything higher?

I'd like to see the younger players have an opportunity to continue growing and developing.  Of course, it's been a long season already what with the Spain trip and practices leading up to it.

Absolutely, unquestionably 100% no doubt.

What are the odds we'd accept an invite to the CBI if we don't get anything higher?

I'd like to see the younger players have an opportunity to continue growing and developing.  Of course, it's been a long season already what with the Spain trip and practices leading up to it.

Absolutely, unquestionably 100% no doubt.

I wouldn't say 100% but I have to think getting this young core some tourney experience would lean us towards participating in the CBI if that is where we slot.

Good post Norm. It's hard not to think about the future with this team, even in the midst of a pretty exciting season that's far from over. There's just a huge amount of unrealized potential in the program right now.

I think you identified the needs going forward. The one type of player totally absent from the roster right now is a true five who, more than anything, is needed for his defensive presence if nothing more. The search continues. I feel that Michael Jacobson, through skills development and S&C, could evolve into a serviceable five, but I'd hate to see it come to that. It's a disservice to players to force them to play out of position throughout their careers, but that's the reality we're currently experiencing due to the domino effect of failing to secure a true five with B1G talent.

Additionally, we could use another shooting guard, as you mentioned, and I don't feel you have to be a Ph.D. in logic to understand the significance of Nebraska's recent scholarship offer to just this type of player. Attrition is likely coming in some form after this season. Personally, I'd love to see Nick Fuller transfer to a program that will offer a better fit, where he could play a lot more and consequently open up a spot on our roster for next season.

We're building something special here. A legit five would essentially complete the core line-up and give this team a great deal more versatility when dealing with the bigger, more physical front court players that the team sees regularly. I'd love to see that player be a high school kid like Jordy Tshimanga, because then he'd be able to grow and mature along with the other 2015/2016 players. 

How I see next years position break down with current roster and recruiting class:

PG: 1. Glynn Watson 2. Bakari Evelyn

SG: 1. Anton Gill 2. Tai Webster

SF: 1. Andrew White 2. Isaiah Roby 3. Nick Fuller

PF: 1/2 Jack McVeigh or Edward Morrow 3. Jeriah Horne

C: 1 Michael Jacobson 2. Jacob Hammond

- It is clear that Watson is away ahead of Bakari right now plus add in this years experience and I think it will be a substantial gap by next year. Evelyn really should have took a redshirt year this season.

- I think Anton and Tai will be a great position battle. I give the nod to Anton just because Tai is proving this year that he can come off the bench and be effective and not have his ego hurt. Not saying Anton wouldn't be able to do it but since we already know Tai can I feel more comfortable with him being the sixth man. Also with Tai being a combo guard I really do not see Bakari getting a lot of minutes next year either. The guard rotation will be Watson, Tai, and Anton. This is also assuming that Miles keeps the 8-man rotation that we have seen often in his tenure

- White will have the 3 spot locked down. I think Roby will play right away, even with a deeper team. I really think Roby is gonna be a huge player for the Huskers. I see Fuller being buried on the bench, but he will more than likely move back to the wing next year and will have experience on his side with it being his fourth year with the team.

- The four spot is gonna be interesting next year. Morrow will be able to play his natural position which we have yet to see this year plus he will be even stronger with another year lifting weights. I still think Morrow needs to add a little bit more to his game. McVeigh will also add some much needed weight to his frame and he brings the 3 pt shot. I see Horne redshirting because he is undersized and even though his body is bigger it does not appear to be ready for the college game quite yet (haven't seen him since he committed so obviously he could be more physically developed by the time he comes to Lincoln).

- I'm buying in that Michael Jacobson will grow an inch and if we are lucky two inches. He will grow into an actual center at 6'9 or 6'10 and will be bigger and stronger next year. I would not count out Hammond quite yet if he can add another 10-15 lbs this off season and, most importantly, get his confidence back he will have a shot.

Potential Transfers: Bakari Evelyn, Nick Fuller, and Jacob Hammond are who I see as the most likely to transfer this off-season. There could be the surprise transfer like Tarin Smith last year. Hell, it is possible AWIII could enter the draft but i will focus on the three listed above.

-Bakari Evelyn: I just do not see a lot of playing time for him. With a good off-season he could move up to 9th or 10th in the rotation and will probably see more meaningful time, but will not be a every game or crunch time player. Watson, Tai, and Anton will get the majority of the guard minutes. I do not know Evelyn personally but just going off of the current day mindset of young athletes I do not see him wanting to wait his turn. i do like his potential and hope that he stays.

-Nick Fuller: Being back on the wing will help and Nick has shown some flashes earlier in his career but with White proving how good he is and with how good I anticipate Roby will be, I do not see a lot of minutes for him. However, I do not think that he will transfer just because since he redshirted already if he transferred he would have to sit out another year while exhausting his JR year of eligibility and only have one year left to play for his new school. So in the end I think he stays. Plus, it is good to have older players in the system who are not going to easily give away any playing time to the younger guys.

-Jacob Hammond: I also think Hammond will ultimately stay. But I think he will consider transferring. I do not see us getting a big man that is a game changer for us unless it is a grad transfer. I'm assuming we get a big that we redshirt and develop behind and Hammond and Jacobson. Hammond will get the nod over the new freshman because of experience in games and with the system.

Sorry for the long post, but I would love to hear your thoughts on my post.

khook, good post.  My thoughts in red:

How I see next years position break down with current roster and recruiting class:

PG: 1. Glynn Watson 2. Bakari Evelyn

SG: 1. Anton Gill 2. Tai Webster

SF: 1. Andrew White 2. Isaiah Roby 3. Nick Fuller

PF: 1/2 Jack McVeigh or Edward Morrow 3. Jeriah Horne

C: 1 Michael Jacobson 2. Jacob Hammond

- It is clear that Watson is away ahead of Bakari right now plus add in this years experience and I think it will be a substantial gap by next year. Evelyn really should have took a redshirt year this season.

- I think Anton and Tai will be a great position battle. I give the nod to Anton just because Tai is proving this year that he can come off the bench and be effective and not have his ego hurt. Not saying Anton wouldn't be able to do it but since we already know Tai can I feel more comfortable with him being the sixth man. Also with Tai being a combo guard I really do not see Bakari getting a lot of minutes next year either. The guard rotation will be Watson, Tai, and Anton. This is also assuming that Miles keeps the 8-man rotation that we have seen often in his tenure  I've thought the same thing about Tai coming off the bench.  He's shown the ability to thrive in that role.

- White will have the 3 spot locked down. I think Roby will play right away, even with a deeper team. I really think Roby is gonna be a huge player for the Huskers. I see Fuller being buried on the bench, but he will more than likely move back to the wing next year and will have experience on his side with it being his fourth year with the team.  I don't know where you play Nick Fuller even if you wanted him to have more minutes.  He lacks the footspeed to reliably guard the 3 but he's not big enough to guard the 4.  He could be a situational shooter, except his shot has never materialized in college.

- The four spot is gonna be interesting next year. Morrow will be able to play his natural position which we have yet to see this year plus he will be even stronger with another year lifting weights. I still think Morrow needs to add a little bit more to his game. McVeigh will also add some much needed weight to his frame and he brings the 3 pt shot. I see Horne redshirting because he is undersized and even though his body is bigger it does not appear to be ready for the college game quite yet (haven't seen him since he committed so obviously he could be more physically developed by the time he comes to Lincoln).  Morrow definitely needs to add to his game.  Horne might be more ready than you imagine.  The kid has skills; not sure of his athleticism, but the skill level is there.

- I'm buying in that Michael Jacobson will grow an inch and if we are lucky two inches. He will grow into an actual center at 6'9 or 6'10 and will be bigger and stronger next year. I would not count out Hammond quite yet if he can add another 10-15 lbs this off season and, most importantly, get his confidence back he will have a shot.  Hope you're right about Jacobson growing.  I don't think Hammond's issue is entirely weight and strength.  He's still a bit clumsy and not a fluid athlete so, for example, he gets off balance when trying to take the ball up strong.  That's an issue weight isn't going to fix.

Potential Transfers: Bakari Evelyn, Nick Fuller, and Jacob Hammond are who I see as the most likely to transfer this off-season. There could be the surprise transfer like Tarin Smith last year. Hell, it is possible AWIII could enter the draft but i will focus on the three listed above.

-Bakari Evelyn: I just do not see a lot of playing time for him. With a good off-season he could move up to 9th or 10th in the rotation and will probably see more meaningful time, but will not be a every game or crunch time player. Watson, Tai, and Anton will get the majority of the guard minutes. I do not know Evelyn personally but just going off of the current day mindset of young athletes I do not see him wanting to wait his turn. i do like his potential and hope that he stays.  Jury is way out on Bakari.  He's shown some flashes, but also times he hasn't looked good and he can't command any real PT still.

-Nick Fuller: Being back on the wing will help and Nick has shown some flashes earlier in his career but with White proving how good he is and with how good I anticipate Roby will be, I do not see a lot of minutes for him. However, I do not think that he will transfer just because since he redshirted already if he transferred he would have to sit out another year while exhausting his JR year of eligibility and only have one year left to play for his new school. So in the end I think he stays. Plus, it is good to have older players in the system who are not going to easily give away any playing time to the younger guys.  It's not the redshirt.  Nick will stay because Nick likes it here.  He's loyal.  He's a Husker.  We fans should appreciate that about him and applaud loudly for him on Senior Night even if he doesn't see a lot of minutes between now and then.

-Jacob Hammond: I also think Hammond will ultimately stay. But I think he will consider transferring. I do not see us getting a big man that is a game changer for us unless it is a grad transfer. I'm assuming we get a big that we redshirt and develop behind and Hammond and Jacobson. Hammond will get the nod over the new freshman because of experience in games and with the system.  Hammond's lack of development has been a disappointment.  He's a decent athlete for his size and I would have hoped he'd be a lot better player by now.  If he can't crack this rotation, he's not going to find playing time ahead of Jacobson or Morrow for the rest of his career, because they're only going to continue to get better and we're always trying to find that legit post. 

Sorry for the long post, but I would love to hear your thoughts on my post.

My thoughts in red.  Good post.  Thanks for contributing.

I agree NO EXCUSES, for not having a big guy. Miles needs to step back and look and say "what are We doing wrong that we can't get one". For example who showing a big guy around campus when they visit? Maybe need to change that!

That's your solution?  Change the person giving tours?  One would assume there isn't just one person assigned to giving big guys a tour of campus; that person probably changes for every visitor we've got.  Heck, it's the players who probably spend the most time with visitors (at least that's the way it is on football visits).