Andrew White III

throwback

Have been thoroughly impressed with his game to this point - he is performing at the top end of where I thought/hoped he could be, and he has stepped up his game even more since B1G play began. 

So something Matt Davison said on the pre-game show Saturday caught me off guard. Paraphrasing - he said many fans who talk to him about White are fixated on the shortcomings in his game, rather than his strengths, almost as if they're disappointed in what NU is seeing from him. (To clarify, Matt wasn't saying he was negative about White's game; rather, fans who speak with him about White seem to want to talk about the negatives.)

Are NU fans really unhappy with White's contributions? That has to be a small sample size, right?

Obviously his 3-pt shooting has lived up to the billing. His rebounding especially has surprised me, and he seems to be gaining more confidence in that area. I really liked Saturday how he was struggling with the 3 early on - in part because Illinois was focused on him - but he did a good job getting to the rim a few times late in the half, which ended up in FTs. Then he was outstanding in the 2nd half. 

Sure he has a few holes in his game, nearly every player at this level does. He struggles with turnovers at times, and he doesn't have a lot of assists. But what he has brought to NU this season has been tremendous. We certainly wouldn't be anywhere near 11-8/3-3 without him, I don't believe. Plus he seems to be a natural leader by example, appears to do everything the right way.

Just wondering if anyone else heard that on the pregame and whether I had misinterpreted what was said.

White's Stats:

• 17.5 ppg (1st on team)
  • 52.3% FG
  • 44.1% 3FG
  • 78.6% FT
  • 6.3 rebounds pg (1st on team)

Have been thoroughly impressed with his game to this point - he is performing at the top end of where I thought he could be, and he has really stepped up his game since B1G play began. 

So something Matt Davison said on the pre-game show Saturday caught me off guard. Paraphrasing - he said many fans who talk to him about White are fixated on the shortcomings in his game, rather than his strengths, almost as if they're disappointed in what NU is seeing from him. (To clarify, Matt wasn't saying he was negative about White's game; rather, fans who speak with him about White seem to want to talk about the negatives.)

Are NU fans really unhappy with White's contributions? That has to be a small sample size, right?

Obviously his 3-pt shooting has lived up to the billing. His rebounding especially has surprised me, and he seems to be gaining more confidence in that area. I really liked Saturday how he was struggling with the 3 early on - in part because Illinois was focused on him - but he did a good job getting to the rim a few times late in the half, which ended up in FTs. Then he was outstanding in the 2nd half. 

Sure he has a few holes in his game, nearly every player at this level does. But what he has brought to NU this season has been tremendous. We certainly wouldn't be anywhere near 11-8/3-3 without him, I don't believe. Plus he seems to be a natural leader by example, appears to do everything the right way.

Just wondering if anyone else heard that on the pregame and whether I had misinterpreted what was said.

Oh, sure, there are always a few. 

You can take him away if you want and he can't single-handedly take over the end of a game. Thus, the biggest problem he might have is that he's not Terran Petteway, which is if you're only looking at the positives of TP's game.

He's the most effective scorer we've had since Marcus Perry in 2007. He's also made himself more than just a shooter. If people are actually griping about White, it's because he's this year's edition of let's focus on the flaws of our best player.

I'm with throwback:  I have no idea whom Matt's talking to, who say that they're disappointed in Andrew White. 

Sure, there are areas where he could improve, but he has more than delivered.  Anyone who says they're disappointed in White doesn't know/understand the game or this team.

He's taking 34% of the TEAM'S 3-point attempts.  Contemplate that for a moment.  He has more than twice as many attempts as the next-most prolific 3-point shooter on the squad.  Well, yeah, big deal, Terran Petteway took a lot more shots than anyone else, too.

Well, but Petteway might hit 33% of his treys.  Andrew White leads the team in 3-point accuracy by a long margin.  He's hitting 44% of his shots and the next closest player in terms of accuracy is just over 40.5%

Which means that Andrew White has accounted for a staggering 44% of our made 3-pointers this season.  Almost half.

And that's with a hand in his face and defenses keying on him.

And he's solid otherwise, never takes plays off, never pouts or sulks, but just gives his all every moment he's on the floor.

I cannot fathom why anyone would say they're disappointed in Andrew White. 

You can identify areas where he could improve.  Hell, all the players have something they could get better at.  But there's a huge difference between saying there's some aspect of the game he could get better at and saying that he's been a disappointment.

AW3 is the first player on our team in a LONG time that I can safely say I don't cringe when he takes a 3.  And if his feet are set I feel like it's going in pretty much out of his hands.  Shocked, in fact if he misses.

This is a weapon that we just haven't had maybe since the good ol Pike days.  And it makes everyone around him that much more of a weapon as well.

Anyone that can't recognize this is, well, just ignorant about the game I guess.

White and his .441 3 point pace isn't even on target for a top 10 mark in a single season. He is on pace to challenge for the most 3's made in a season, however. If he continues at this pace, figuring for just the games we know NU will play, so 13 more, he's on pace for 87. Season record is 89. If he can keep up his pace in conference play, he'll blow it away. If you're intersted in thses things, he's on a 5-3-2 pattern for makes. Hit 5 vs. NW and Rutgers, 3 vs. Indiana and Minnesota and 2 vs. Iowa and Illinois. If he hits 10 every 3 games, he'll break the record. Certainly within his capability.

Without looking, can anyone name me the #1 single season 3 point shooter? Who was it, what was his percentage?

For kicks, name me the #3 and #6 as well.

White and his .441 3 point pace isn't even on target for a top 10 mark in a single season. He is on pace to challenge for the most 3's made in a season, however. If he continues at this pace, figuring for just the games we know NU will play, so 13 more, he's on pace for 87. Season record is 89. If he can keep up his pace in conference play, he'll blow it away. If you're intersted in thses things, he's on a 5-3-2 pattern for makes. Hit 5 vs. NW and Rutgers, 3 vs. Indiana and Minnesota and 2 vs. Iowa and Illinois. If he hits 10 every 3 games, he'll break the record. Certainly within his capability.

Without looking, can anyone name me the #1 single season 3 point shooter? Who was it, what was his percentage?

I believe #1 and #2 single season are Conklin and Cochron in either order.  I think Cary was slightly better, single season.  Without looking, of course.

I believe #1 and #2 single season are Conklin and Cochron in either order.  I think Cary was slightly better, single season.  Without looking, of course.

CC was #2 and #9 in terms of percentage. BC was #1 in 2004. Go peek at his percentage. It was ridiculous.

CC was #2 and #9 in terms of percentage. BC was #1 in 2004. Go peek at his percentage. It was ridiculous.

Ray Gallegos would be the guy who MADE a lot of threes; Is that the question, or, is it 3FG%?

Ray Gallegos would be the guy who MADE a lot of threes; Is that the question, or, is it 3FG%?

Percentage. RayRay doesn't come anywhere close to the top 10 in that category. He is #2 in terms of total made in a season with 83 in 2012-13.

All of this discussion and we haven't really even discussed how athletic and strong a rebounder he is. For a guy that isn't "explosive" on the offensive end, the dude is swiping defensive rebounds well above the rim. He crashes the boards hard.

It's been discussed quite a bit throughout this site: AW-III is a beast on the boards, for sure.

All of this discussion and we haven't really even discussed how athletic and strong a rebounder he is. For a guy that isn't "explosive" on the offensive end, the dude is swiping defensive rebounds well above the rim. He crashes the boards hard.

Last time NU had a player finish a season at 6.3 boards per game (White's current number) or more was in 2012-13 with Ubel at 6.7 rpg. And if White can finish the season at 6.3, he'd have the second highest rebounding number since Maric's 10.2 in 2007-08. Pretty impressive.

He's also in the Top 10 in the B1G in scoring and rebounding right now, 5th in scoring and 9th (tie) in rebounding. Only other players also in Top 10 in both are Valentine, who's 3rd & 6th, and Hayes, who's 8th & 9th (tie).

In conference games only, he's 4th (tie) in scoring (18.5 ppg) and 2nd in rebounding (8.0 rpg). Certainly a small sample size at 6 gms, but wow.