uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 8, Issue 19 - @ Illinois

uneblinstu

- Groce talking to his team about playing with an edge. We'll see if they play with it and if we match it.

- Nunn not getting the start? Interesting...

- Another quick start. I like that.

- Not sure about that foul on AW on the 3. 

- Morrow doing a pretty good job of setting screens to free up Shields in traffic. Led to an open shot.

- Watson doing a great job of creating his own shot. It's still a little flat, but it goes in.

- That 3 by Tate for Illinois seemed to wake Illinois up.

- Struggling to get White free early.

- More exotic adjustments on defense. I like it.

- You know Morrow's been waiting for a finish like that! That was strong! The Chicago boys playing well early!

- Giving Illinois too many good looks on the perimeter.

- McVeigh doing a good job of getting into the middle of the Illini defense.

- Getting a decent number of offensive boards. 

- Illinois not sending anyone after offensive boards.

- This is a big game for both teams. They're both playing like it. Pretty good game, actually.

- Winning the battle in the paint, mostly on effort.

- White not shooting well in the first half, but getting to the line. Finding ways to contribute.

- Tai becoming the player we all hoped he'd be and it's beautiful.

- 12 point lead at the under 4 time out. 35-23.

- I echo Morris' praise of Parker's hustle.

- Great finish to the half! Big to to go into the half up 9. Get the ball out of the break, too.

- Not a great start to the 2nd. Turnover, foul by Shields.

- Don't want to put ILL on the line much.

- Illinois coming out with  more intensity to start the half. Giving NU fits.

- Threw a little trapping action at them, seemed to catch Illinois by surprise.

- Watson's gonna be something of a rally killer, huh? Hits some big time shots.

- Shields with a really touch stretch to start the half.

- So, Watson's brother went to Illinois, he was a top 100 player from Chicago and Illinois didn't go after him?

- NU hit some big shots to keep Illinois from going on big time run.

- I like how NU responded after Illinois punched to start the half. Lead back up to 14. Illinois counters, down to 5...

- Punch-counter punch.  Punch-counter punch. Punch-counter punch. Punch-counter punch.

- Benny Parker draws a pretty big offensive foul on Hill.

- What a big find by Watson of White on the press break! They've had an answer for every run so far.

- They're playing with a lot of confidence right now.

- Illinois conceded the rebound on Hill's free throws. Interesting.

- NU doing all the little things right.

- Goodness, NU's really owned the paint, huh?

- Glynn Watson, NBBS. Nothing But Big Shots.

- Up 6. 1:40 left. Can they hold them at bay?

- The free throws, from GW, though...

- Why didn't the Illinois fans leave at the under 4 mark?

- White's gotta hit those free throws...

- When was the last time NU won 3 straight conference games by 10 or more?

- Solid win for this program. Really tough one comes up next, but I'll remind you, NU has a winning streak vs. MSU. 

This was a great win; because it is a road win, because it validates the exponential improvement we've seen, because it is a renewed recruiting ground for us, et al. 

This was a total team effort.  I thought those that played, played well.  I cannot think of any negative issues right now.  That is great to write, and great to see.  That said; Tai, AWIII, Glynn, Shavon and Ed were the five that really seemed to shine.  But, Jack, Benny and Michael also played good supplemental roles. 

Dang nice to see and watch.  Shoot, I cannot recall ever being behind other than perhaps once or twice at the beginning of the game.

Dare I say we are becoming a prolific scoring team.  We are averaging 74.6 ppg after 19 games.  I compared that to other NU teams after 19 games, and this is the highest scoring team since the 1995-96 team averaged 86.4.  And this is the first time we are averaging over 70 at this point in the season since 2001.

Another solid road win. I remember when people were saying this team might only win 4 or 5 conference games all season and now they have won three in a row. This win was definitely a more satisfying win the other two. But the game I really want to focus on is @ Michigan State on Wednesday. Huskers have won the last two against MSU. Obviously this will be the most challenging. My thoughts:

- Watson got us going and hit a couple shots later in the game when Illinois was trying to make a run. He definitely played with a little extra today

- If we can get Morrow to have these kind of games for most of the season we will do well.

- After all the criticism Tai has received in his NU career (some of it deserved) it is so satisfying watching him this season

- If you tell me Shavon is struggling and White doesn't get his first basket until the end of the first half, there is absolutely no way I think we are leading by 9 points on the road at halftime.

- I thought McVeigh and Jacobsen played well for the most part today

I missed most of the first half and saw all of the second half. I loved how we answered every Illinois run. It is exciting watching this team grow as individuals and a team. Just try to not get too high or too low. Hoping for a HUGE win on Wednesday. Go Big Red!!!

That was as good of a victory on the road as any. Nebraska had not won at Illinois since 1921, granted NU & the Illini have only been conference mates for 5 years, now. Wish I could have made that trip, epic win by Huskers to go to 3-3 in the league with a 3rd straight double-digit victory in the league. Lovin' it~! GBR

Just a few quick notes:

• Short bench today.  Miles went with 8 guys and left a couple on the bench.  McVeigh only played 8 minutes, meaning it was really a 7-man rotation most of the way.  I expect that trend to continue.
  • Of those 8 players who played, half were true freshmen.
  • Only 10 turnovers for the game.  Big stat.  Got to limit empty possessions, especially on the road, which the guys did.

This was great.  After Minnesota, it was the first time since the early 70s we'd won two consecutive conference games by more than 20 points.  When was the last time we won two conference road games in the same season?  It hasn't happened often in the last 15 years.

Just a few quick notes:

• Short bench today.  Miles went with 8 guys and left a couple on the bench.  McVeigh only played 8 minutes, meaning it was really a 7-man rotation most of the way.  I expect that trend to continue.
  • Only 10 turnovers for the game.  Big stat.  Got to limit empty possessions, especially on the road, which the guys did.

This was great.  After Minnesota, it was the first time since the early 70s we'd won two consecutive conference games by more than 20 points.  When was the last time we won two conference road games in the same season?  It hasn't happened often in the last 15 years.

When was the last time they won 3 straight conference games by 10+ with two of them being on the road?

Just a few quick notes:

When was the last time they won 3 straight conference games by 10+ with two of them being on the road?

In 1998-99, they had a stretch in the midst of a five game win streak, which was in the midst of a 9-1 stretch in conference, where they won four straight games by double digits, with two straight of those being on the road. And then they lost to friggin' Doug Gottlieb and Oklahoma State in Lincoln in a horribly officiated game, and didn't make the NCAA tournament.

- NU hit some big shots to keep Illinois from going on big time run.

- I like how NU responded after Illinois punched to start the half. Lead back up to 14. Illinois counters, down to 5...

- Punch-counter punch.  Punch-counter punch. Punch-counter punch. Punch-counter punch.

This! 

Just a few quick notes:

When was the last time we won two conference road games in the same season?  It hasn't happened often in the last 15 years.

2013-14: Michigan State, Indiana, Northwestern.

2008-09: Baylor, Texas Tech, Colorado.

2007-08: Texas A&M, Missouri.

2005-06:  Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma.

Nebraska was 5-32 on the road in Big Ten conference play prior to the last two games.

The Good: 2 solid road games and a nice home win to put us at .500 in conference play

The Bad: the 3 conference teams we beat have 1 Big 10 win

The Ugly: the next 4 games

The optimist( me): we find a way to at least split, maybe go 3-1

The pessimist: 1-3 at best

I will give you one additional optimistic view; the three teams we just beat would have three additional wins IF we had not taken care of business.

The Good: 2 solid road games and a nice home win to put us at .500 in conference play

The Bad: the 3 conference teams we beat have 1 Big 10 win

The Ugly: the next 4 games

The optimist( me): we find a way to at least split, maybe go 3-1

The pessimist: 1-3 at best

Michigan St. game is a game they can come out swinging and see happens.

Michigan is going to take our best game of the year to win at home. It's entirely possible that happens.

If the Purdue game was at home and Maryland was on the road, that might be a workable scenario to get to two wins. I think Purdue might be gettable at home. They seem a little prone to lapses on the road and seem to struggle with good shooting teams in the little I've seen of them.

Maryland is just going to be a bear regardless of where we find them, but basketball is a funny game, so who knows, but I think it's going to be very hard to get 2 wins in these next four. More than that and I'd be shocked. Michigan is a big, big game for this team. 

You wonder if McVeigh is one of the guys suffering from illness this week. Miles said there were several guys who missed practice some this week, he may have been one of them. Thought he did some nice things when he was in there.

You wonder if McVeigh is one of the guys suffering from illness this week. Miles said there were several guys who missed practice some this week, he may have been one of them. Thought he did some nice things when he was in there.

Might have been part of the reason that only 8 played, and only 7 played significant minutes.  When a team goes into a zone, I love to see Jack in the game.  When he posts on or around the free throw line, good things happen.