What have we learned with season half over?

HUD

I'll start with my opinion on a few items:

1.  Ohio St. and Maryland are as good as expected.  Considerably ahead of the rest.

2.  We are a bit short of leadership on this years team.

3.  We have 2 consistent scorers on our team that are both improving as season progresses(JS&NR)

4.  We desperately need one or two other guards to step up as a scorer. 

5.  Will we see the return of the old Rachel Theriot?  Will K Clark get her outside shot back?

6.  We are capable of playing great at times but not for a whole game.

7.  Need the bench to step up.  Looked good preseason but not so in conference.

What are your thoughts?

I'll start with my opinion on a few items:

1.  Ohio St. and Maryland are as good as expected.  Considerably ahead of the rest.

2.  We are a bit short of leadership on this years team.

3.  We have 2 consistent scorers on our team that are both improving as season progresses(JS&NR)

4.  We desperately need one or two other guards to step up as a scorer. 

5.  Will we see the return of the old Rachel Theriot?  Will K Clark get her outside shot back?

6.  We are capable of playing great at times but not for a whole game.

7.  Need the bench to step up.  Looked good preseason but not so in conference.

What are your thoughts?

1. no doubt-----big win for northwestern thursday night, but, OSU turned it up too late. 

2. i think we have a good idea who has the potential to be one, if not THEE leader of the upcoming seasons.

3. need to find at least another if you want a shot at the ncaa's

4. hopefully, MS can get in a groove

5. imo, hope has faded for KC to become the scorer we thought she might be. don't get me wrong, she has been a scrapper and has done some very good things---but, not the consistent scorer huskers really needed. RT is becoming a "head scratcher"---something we never expected. it seems like she has had more miscues this season than past seasons combined. having a shot at the ncaa's may just rely on her performance the rest of the way. fans are rooting for her to pick it up the rest of the way. 

6. need to realize when to pull in the reigns a bit. at times, players try to force things that aren't there.

7. bench isn't as deep as we had hoped. i know coach yori had mentioned (after ooc) that the competition didn't turn out to be quite as competitive as they had hoped. i would be surprised if the ooc schedule isn't stronger from now on---and it should be.

I've learned that Coach Yori is an incredibly resilient person. Think back over the past several years: injuries that have resulted in medical red shirts and early departures, disciplinary issues resulting in game suspensions and sometimes dismissal from team, difficult parents resulting in player leaving team and recruit being dismissed, loss of solid coaches, her own medical issue that resulted in extended hospital stay. Then think about what has been accomplished during that time: undefeated regular season, a couple of sweet 16 appearances, Big10 title, some solid recruits, a very bright future. And she has done all this without her hair turning gray!

Learned so far ?

1   Silly turnovers haven't stopped. (forced bad passes mostly)

2   RT's inconsistencies are a mystery, must step up scoring.

3   Jess really is as good as predicted. She will get better.

4   Defense still needs improvement.... both coaches schemes, player man coverage. We miss Smallwood.

5   Nat will be a team leader/ positive example from here on out

6   Freshman class of 3 has adapted and contributed very quickly..too bad injuries/illness slowed their progress.

(don't sleep on top bunk)

7   KC hasn't scored like anticipated, but better as a floor general than expected, and too many bad passes.

(95% free throw shooting is stunning, and leads team in steals)

8   Bench depth hasn't always been there to contribute enough points

9   Injuries part of depth problem, + loss of Ostrander as rebounder)

9   Need another consistent 10-12+ pt scorer besides RT, Jess, & Nat (RB43 & Havers aren't far away)

10 Need stronger team rebounding/blocking out

11 Team shows it's overall youth and inexperience many times

12 Esther has begun to contribute well, and knows her role/Connie's schemes.

13 Shooting can be inconsistent

14 The size & no. of our bigs, not particularly bigger than rest of B1G (we played small last year)

15 Havers considerably improved, in most all areas.

16 Connies hair probably is gray...ask her beautician. :P

I have total admiration for Coach Yori's willingness to discipline players.  There are expectations that must be met and their is a consequence when those expectations are not met.

My comments are based on one game seen in perosn (Arkansas St., and what I have witnessed on TV or listened on the radio)

1.  Defense, rebounding and turnovers are all issues.

2.  We lack the size, strength and quickness of many of our conference foes. (we have height, but not the size and strength)

3.  Team has not folded the tent and will compete.

4.  If the RT of old returns to form or near form, NU will be competitive.

5.  A finish in the middle of the pack would not be a bad achievement.  There are no easy wins in the league.

Indiana has been a surprise and Michigan St. seems to be an enigma.  

I'll throw my opinion out there with about half the season gone.

Jessica Shephard.  I expected her to be really good on offense and she is. Free throw shooting could be better but oh well. Her defense is ok but will probably get better with time.

Rachael Theriot.  She seems inconsistent on offense and defense this year. We need her to step up her offense every game. Not sure what her injury is or how it affects her.  Her passing has to improve also.

Natalie Romeo. I've been impressed with her offense this year. Always a threat at the 3 point line.  Defense is fair.

Allie Havers.  This is by far her best year.  Wish she was more aggressive on rebounding.  Last year it seemed like she was always falling down for whatever reason.  Seems a little stronger this year.

Kyndal Clark. When she joined the team I was really excited.  I thought by having her with her scoring ability, especially from the 3 point line, that this would really improve our team.  Unfortunately for whatever reason, she's lost confidence in her offense abilities.  Her 3 point shooting is not good.  Going from being the number one scorer on your team to a role player hasn't worked well for her.

Rachel Blackburn. From what I've seen this year I don't know if she has any down low offensive moves. She hasn't shown that she's a scorer down low but then they never throw her the ball much with Shephard being down low. She seems like a hustler though. Being sick hasn't help her progress.

Jasmine Cincore.  Of all the players, I'm disappointed in her ball handling and shooting ability this year. I thought she was going to be a lot better player.  I hate to say it but it seems like when she touches the ball a turnover is about to happen.

Anya Kalenta.  Gives good minutes off the bench. Can shoot the ball.

Maddie Simon. With her injury it's hard to say.  I'm hoping next year she'll be a real asset.

Esther Ramacieri.  I hope nobody takes offence to this but Esther is not a division I player. Not sure why Connie recruited her. She played about half the game the other day and didn't take a shot or even think about it. Even in mop up duty she won't think about shooting. 

There are two things that stand out to me this year.  I've never seen a Connie Yori team give up so many uncontested layups as I have this year.  All the teams guards just dribble right down the lane and have many easy layups.  Our guards let them fly by and there is seldom any help defense.  Not sure what gives on that.  Secondly, we are getting beat on rebounds that we should have.  Especially the other team is getting so many offensive rebounds and put backs. Lots of times we have position for the rebound and we don't get it.  Lots of times we are just outhustled.   

Anyway, these were my thoughts. It will be interesting to see how we finish this year out.

The good

1 Jess getting into form

2 Nat ahead of scedule

3 The improvement of Alley

4 RB43

The bad

1 Injuries to MS and RB43

Arguably our best post defender and with out a doubt in my mind our best athlete in MS.

2 RT's funk

Tough to explain maybe too much was heaped on her. She's never had to be a vocal leader and really was not counted for defense.

Ugly

1 all the turn overs

2 though not mentioned, I think uglier where is the help defense on the dribble penetration. This is where Cady and Sample are eeally missed.

Looking at the rpi thing, the next three games are huge

After watching a replay of the Penn State game on B1G Network, many of our turnovers were the result of trying to force a fast pace. Some high risk passes were rewarded with easy baskets, though we did miss too many cripples around the rim.  Playing that pace allows us some easy shots but you have to live with the turnovers.

The Defense is questionable at best.  PSU was able to drive without fear to the rim and had way too many offensive rebounds.  We try to help and recover, but we don't recover like Cady and Sample were able to do last year.  

Romeo's defense is best when she is able to make some steals after we make baskets.  None of the guards can stop dribble penetration though Clark seems to be the best overall.  

I don't think Esther hurt is in the game at all.  She moved the ball and defended as well as anyone else on the floor.

Jessica Shephard.  I expected her to be really good on offense and she is. Free throw shooting could be better but oh well. Her defense is ok but will probably get better with time.

Rachael Theriot.  She seems inconsistent on offense and defense this year. We need her to step up her offense every game. Not sure what her injury is or how it affects her.  Her passing has to improve also.

Natalie Romeo. I've been impressed with her offense this year. Always a threat at the 3 point line.  Defense is fair.

Allie Havers.  This is by far her best year.  Wish she was more aggressive on rebounding.  Last year it seemed like she was always falling down for whatever reason.  Seems a little stronger this year.

Kyndal Clark. When she joined the team I was really excited.  I thought by having her with her scoring ability, especially from the 3 point line, that this would really improve our team.  Unfortunately for whatever reason, she's lost confidence in her offense abilities.  Her 3 point shooting is not good.  Going from being the number one scorer on your team to a role player hasn't worked well for her.

Rachel Blackburn. From what I've seen this year I don't know if she has any down low offensive moves. She hasn't shown that she's a scorer down low but then they never throw her the ball much with Shephard being down low. She seems like a hustler though. Being sick hasn't help her progress.

Jasmine Cincore.  Of all the players, I'm disappointed in her ball handling and shooting ability this year. I thought she was going to be a lot better player.  I hate to say it but it seems like when she touches the ball a turnover is about to happen.

Maddie Simon. With her injury it's hard to say.  I'm hoping next year she'll be a real asset.

Esther Ramacieri.  I hope nobody takes offence to this but Esther is not a division I player. Not sure why Connie recruited her. She played about half the game the other day and didn't take a shot or even think about it. Even in mop up duty she won't think about shooting. 

There are two things that stand out to me this year.  I've never seen a Connie Yori team give up so many uncontested layups as I have this year.  All the teams guards just dribble right down the lane and have many easy layups.  Our guards let them fly by and there is seldom any help defense.  Not sure what gives on that.  Secondly, we are getting beat on rebounds that we should have.  Especially the other team is getting so many offensive rebounds and put backs. Lots of times we have position for the rebound and we don't get it.  Lots of times we are just outhustled.   

Anyway, these were my thoughts. It will be interesting to see how we finish this year out.

Regarding 43: I'm not sure she has college moves for down low yet (as "longtime fan" stated). But since I watch her when she is on the court I have an educated (albeit biased) opinion. Bottom line... She rarely gets the ball down there. I watch her repeatedly post up and no pass is attempted. This usually happens when 32 isn't playing. It frustrating for her because posting up is very hard work. And... There is a very small window for a successful pass to a post player.

On a lighter note... Regarding 43's nickname... Theriot is the team's Rachel. My Rachel hates being called RB. She likes being called Burns. That's what her teammates call her. Just FYI.

Regarding 43: I'm not sure she has college moves for down low yet (as "longtime fan" stated). But since I watch her when she is on the court I have an educated (albeit biased) opinion. Bottom line... She rarely gets the ball down there. I watch her repeatedly post up and no pass is attempted. This usually happens when 32 isn't playing. It frustrating for her because posting up is very hard work. And... There is a very small window for a successful pass to a post player.

On a lighter note... Regarding 43's nickname... Theriot is the team's Rachel. My Rachel hates being called RB. She likes being called Burns. That's what her teammates call her. Just FYI.

i just thought "RB43" had a nice "ring" to it. you know, fitting with her number?  ;)  anyway, will refrain from calling her "RB43". "burns" it is. 

probably has been a little frustrating for her. i am sure she will keep working hard---her time will come for more opportunities. 

Both Jess and Rachel B (Burns) are freshman, and the scope of their game's will change over time. Jess gets the ball now simply because of her known reputation as as scorer, before she ever got here. RB43 just may not be in the same place offensively currently.....so what ....is my response to that.

Burns will score more in time. I can see that she has many good offensive skills now. She will learn to build on it. That's what summers are for.....learn to become better players. She's very valuable, in many ways, to the team no matter how many points she scores each game. You can also tell the team really likes her as a team mate.

If you had Jess's offensive skills and Burns's defensive skills in one player you would have NU's version of superwoman. :D

Jess will learn to play better defense, and Rachel B will get better at offense. They are freshman!  .....and this is just their beginning.

Imagine how good a combination they'll be when their Jrs and Srs. and playing together full time. Could well be our best inside combo ever.

Are you sure "Burns" is OK with Rachel ?

Both Jess and Rachel B (Burns) are freshman, and the scope of their game's will change over time. Jess gets the ball now simply because of her known reputation as as scorer, before she ever got here. RB43 just may not be in the same place offensively currently.....so what ....is my response to that.

Burns will score more in time. I can see that she has many good offensive skills now. She will learn to build on it. That's what summers are for.....learn to become better players. She's very valuable, in many ways, to the team no matter how many points she scores each game. You can also tell the team really likes her as a team mate.

If you had Jess's offensive skills and Burns's defensive skills in one player you would have NU's version of superwoman. :D

Jess will learn to play better defense, and Rachel B will get better at offense. They are freshman!  .....and this is just their beginning.

Imagine how good a combination they'll be when their Jrs and Srs. and playing together full time. Could well be our best inside combo ever.

Are you sure "Burns" is OK with Rachel ?

Great post RedSteve. And Burns it is then

I'm ok with RB43...  I'm just giving you guys the "Inside Baseball" story of a nickname...  

She likes Burns.  I'm not sure why she dislikes being called RB.  I think it sounds good.  

Last weekend, after the game, she commented... "The other day at practice Coach Yori even called me Burns... It was the first time."  Coach usually calls her RB.  

Whatever...  The team just needs to beat Rutgers.  See you there.

i just thought "RB43" had a nice "ring" to it. you know, fitting with her number?  ;)  anyway, will refrain from calling her "RB43". "burns" it is. 

probably has been a little frustrating for her. i am sure she will keep working hard---her time will come for more opportunities. 

Like Red Steve and Whoop, this is the first I've heard of it.  :ph34r:  (RB43 is so easy to type  ;)).  She, Jess & Maddie (good now) are going to be awesome as upperclassmen!  :)

Regarding Rachel's nickname...  You all can call her whatever you like.  I've always liked RB43... and RB is good too.  It has a nice ring to it.  For some reason she doesn't like it.  She doesn't read this blog so if you refer to her as RB it's moot.  

The team and most coaches refer to her as "Burns."

Coach Yori calls her RB; however, Rachel said the other day that... "Even Coach Yori called me Burns..."

Allie sometimes calls her Bernie...

Bottom Line:  Whatever members of this forum refer to her as is just fine.  

Who knows what she'll be called once Rachel Theriot graduates...  I figure either Burns will stick or she'll be Rachel.  Regardless, she'll be a Husker. 

Regarding Rachel's nickname...  You all can call her whatever you like.  I've always liked RB43... and RB is good too.  It has a nice ring to it.  For some reason she doesn't like it.  She doesn't read this blog so if you refer to her as RB it's moot.  

The team and most coaches refer to her as "Burns."

Coach Yori calls her RB; however, Rachel said the other day that... "Even Coach Yori called me Burns..."

Allie sometimes calls her Bernie...

Bottom Line:  Whatever members of this forum refer to her as is just fine.  

Who knows what she'll be called once Rachel Theriot graduates...  I figure either Burns will stick or she'll be Rachel.  Regardless, she'll be a Husker.

Wait, What? She doesn't read this website?!! I thought it was mandatory for players to do so!

Here's one more opinion to the mix... Agree with much of what has already been said to begin. I don't post much but have been following board for the last few years and have followed Coach Yori's teams since she was at Creighton.

I'm not sure what I expected for the 1st half of season, with such a dramatic turnover, but it's been a mixed bag with the best signs of improvement coming in the Rutgers game.

The new kids have not been at 100% physically for the various if not all parts of the 1st half of the season....and with being new and having that drag on you makes it tougher to digest the other parts of the system that Coach wants them to grasp. It it rare for all recruits/transfers to make significant immediate/long term impacts, but if this group buys in - the upside could be as good as the Cady, Sample, Jeffrey, T class.

Am hopeful MS gets it going, she could really be boost for the 2nd half - athletically she has it. We've seen the potential in the others.

The beginning of the 2nd half with 2 key road games may give us a clue as to real progress provided we stay healthy although there will most certainly be a few more frustrating games coupled with a surprise or two.

Here's one more opinion to the mix... Agree with much of what has already been said to begin. I don't post much but have been following board for the last few years and have followed Coach Yori's teams since she was at Creighton.

I'm not sure what I expected for the 1st half of season, with such a dramatic turnover, but it's been a mixed bag with the best signs of improvement coming in the Rutgers game.

The new kids have not been at 100% physically for the various if not all parts of the 1st half of the season....and with being new and having that drag on you makes it tougher to digest the other parts of the system that Coach wants them to grasp. It it rare for all recruits/transfers to make significant immediate/long term impacts, but if this group buys in - the upside could be as good as the Cady, Sample, Jeffrey, T class.

Am hopeful MS gets it going, she could really be boost for the 2nd half - athletically she has it. We've seen the potential in the others.

The beginning of the 2nd half with 2 key road games may give us a clue as to real progress provided we stay healthy although there will most certainly be a few more frustrating games coupled with a surprise or two.

Post more please.

We are far enough into the conference season with everybody playing 6 games out of the 18  to go to the B10 website and look at team statistics.  Looking at conference games only sheds some light on how we stack up.  I won't go through them all but will show the good and the bad.

Good:   Free throw %.....5th      3 pt. F/G %....2nd         Defensive rebounding......2nd (high because of number of shots we give up)

Bad:     Scoring offense.....11th        Scoring margin.....12th           F/G %....11th     Reb. margin....13th    Steals...13th

Turn over margin....13th        Offensive rebounds....14th    3pt. shots made....11th (need more 3pt scorers) 

The biggest clue in how we are doing comes from   F/G defense  where we are 3rd.   Good, right, but when looking at how  many shots we give up (most in the league) that goes to a bad statistic.  We give up an average of 9 more shots per game then the average of all the rest of the teams.  This is due to turnovers and giving up offensive rebounds.  We play good defense but give up too many shots.  These stats confirm what a lot of you have been saying in this post.  Hope my math is right.