Official start of practice

Huskerpapa

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a darn minute...this practice appears to have been IN THE BOB, not on the practice courts. Why are the fans not allowed access. I CALL FOUL!!!

I was wondering the same thing. Then I thought... it's called the "Hendricks Training Complex," not the "Hendricks Practice Facility." They got us good.

Interesting to contrast the start here with Midnight Madness at KU . Regarding the respective hoops situations this year I would say the opening day differential is about right. Now it's up to Coach Tim Miles to bring us to a point when the opening day of practice causes someone not named Norm to be excited. I wonder if the windows at BDSC were covered by newspapers?

I wonder if the windows a BDSC were covered by newspapers?

Actually, practice began on Wednesday at the BoB. The windows were covered with a serier of old NIT banners and all the doors were locked tight. There is a cassette tape recording however of the sound of the squeaking of sneakers and explitives coming from the general area of the playing surface. :)

Man, what I'd give to be there. Puh-lease open practices for the fans. At least some of them.

And what's with the extra arc at about 17 feet?

Assuming it is not for games, and only a practice tool....I worked with a Varsity basketball coach who had a line like that put on the court....it was a reminder to not shoot a shot outside of 17 feet (or whatever it was) that was not a 3 pointer...that shot does not have enough reward, for the risk taken.

What is the right way for Big Red to start BB practice? At this point, no doubt quietly as they did. But I for one hope it is not always so. As our team becomes more relevant as we all expect, let's hope we can attend HUSKER HYSTERIA for our first practice.

I was a student at Maryland in the 60's (1960's that is :) ) when our new coach Lefty Driesell began the now historic Maryland Madness and started Maryland back on the path to national relevance. The students responded strongly and to this day it is virtually a sold out event in the Comcast Center. i was reminded of this wonderful experience as I watched last nights event broadcast on DirectTV -- how I wish I was there!

We all have bucket lists for the future of Big Red Basketball -- how about adding HUSKER HYSTERIA?

What is the right way for Big Red to start BB practice? At this point, no doubt quietly as they did. But I for one hope it is not always so. As our team becomes more relevant as we all expect, let's hope we can attend HUSKER HYSTERIA for our first practice.

I was a student at Maryland in the 60's (1960's that is :) ) when our new coach Lefty Driesell began the now historic Maryland Madness and started Maryland back on the path to national relevance. The students responded strongly and to this day it is virtually a sold out event in the Comcast Center. i was reminded of this wonderful experience as I watched last nights event broadcast on DirectTV -- how I wish I was there!

We all have bucket lists for the future of Big Red Basketball -- how about adding HUSKER HYSTERIA?

Let's just hope it doesn't get rained out like last year's spring game.

Thanks for the memory, JimmyKC. Kinda neat Terp KU connection.

I went to school with Gary and of course saw almost all of his games in Cole Field House. He was as fiery as a PG as he later was as a coach. Met him a couple times as a coach -- not sure he remembered me from our school days, but he was nice enough to say he did.

One of my favorite memories from those days was being in the student section for Lefty's first game. He was viewed as a savior and the crowd went wild when he entered the court for the first time. The crowd would not stop, so almost without thinking he created his later famous hands over his head victory move to quiet the crowd -- it became a tradition. I loved my days there -- although I never really enjoyed the Fxxx Duke chants and Tee shirts. You could never say the students were not enthusiastic and supported the team -- I would rather be a part of that then watching in a church atmosphere. We'll get there soon with Tim I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the replay of that on ESPN3 (you can see several Midnight Madness events on there... Mizzou is going to be reeeally good this season) and that intro may be the sickest, most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. It's no wonder 18 year old kids are lining up to sign there.

wow that is just unreal. They just reload anymore with the amount of studs they picked up. My wife is friends with Kyle Wiltjer's dad. He is a bench player for them but would easily be a star at Nebraska which goes to show how far we are away from top level teams backup players. One day, hopefully, one day.