uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 8, Issue 17 - @ Rutgers

uneblinstu

This game didn't show up on my WatchESPN app until it was 21-7, so that was awesome. Sounds like White hit some shots. Some other guys did, too. Whatevs. When I did finally get to the game, NU had a bad offensive possession and fouled a Rutgers player that got wide open on an inbounds. Sounds about right. 

- Wait, Rutgers has been to a Final Four? Man...

- Is it just me or are the ambient mikes turned up a touch high? The censor better be on high alert near that NU bench.

- I do like that NU came out and got up on Rutgers early. That's a team that you don't want to give hope to. NU's better, they made sure to not take anything for granted.

- A little weird to see a TV crew not have court side seats.

- Did you see that triple bounce pass that took a left turn from on it's way from White to Benny? That was cool.

- Glad to see someone other than Tai air ball a finger roll.

- When was the last time NU had a 17 point first half lead?

- Is it just me or has White been more willing to let it fly the past few games?

- NU's really outclassing Rutgers in just about every way possible.

- The team NU plays almost always gets into the bonus before we do. That can't be a conicidence.

- That reverse putback from Morrow was purrty. So was the offensive rebound before it. A flash... More please.

- That dish by Parker, too! Got three Rutgers defenders to collapse, Morrow was wide open.

- Rutgers is one of the worst rebounding teams I've ever seen.

- They turn it over a lot, too.

- I think I saw two of the worst free throw attempts I've ever seen.

- 20 point first half lead. Not sure I've ever seen that from an NU team in a conference game.

- 19 points from AW3 at that half is pretty good. Think he was motivated to play before the home crowd?

- I don't think the team that has the possession arrow should get the ball to start the second half. I'd like to see either the team that didn't get it in the first or another jump ball.

- Morrow was great today, yes, but this was the closest thing he's seen to a high school front court. Would like to see more of this vs. a bigger team.

- Not sure if they have it on the ESPNU broadcast or just on WatchESPN stream, but the X-factor commercial with Coach K is kinda hilarious.

- I'm not really sure what to take from this game. Obviously, a blow out win on the road is never a bad thing, but Rutgers is really, really bad. White was great. NU rebounded well but Rutgers would be undersized vs. some really good AAU teams. NU really was able to do whatever they wanted. Build on it. Get another one Tuesday night.

I have literally never seen a conference opponent being worse than Rutgerz. Wow. 90-56.

Yep.  That was a bad, bad team out there and apparently they have like three of their main guys out win injury.  It's weird but instead of being happy for the big blowout, you can only feel relief.  I think winning by anything less than 20 should be an embarrassment even on the road.

Iowa just might put 130 on 'em.

I have literally never seen a conference opponent being worse than Rutgerz. Wow. 90-56.

Yep.  That was a bad, bad team out there and apparently they have like three of their main guys out win injury.  It's weird but instead of being happy for the big blowout, you can only feel relief.  I think winning by anything less than 20 should be an embarrassment even on the road.

NU will see those Scarlet Knights again on Feb. 6th!

Indiana was down at half and only won by 7. We're going to see a nice kenpom bounce from this one

Rutgers may have looked like a team that isn't very good and didn't really want to be there, but our guys deserve credit for putting them in that position/mood. RU did have a bit of momentum middle of the first half when they got it to 8 (I think). But they missed 2 FTs and we jumped on them after that.

We did a lot of good things, when it would've been easy to play down to RU's level or to let them keep the momentum, especially considering how we've struggled on the road the past year-plus.

And I really liked seeing Morrow build on what he did at Iowa. Hopefully it's starting to slow down for him. He certainly seems to be gaining confidence.

Also liked seeing us try some zone and some pressing. It's not going to be a primary defensive style for us, but with our athleticism, I think it can work well as a change-up for small stretches.

Solid game overall. First one I have been able to see in real time since we went to Creighton. Cannot get a much better outcome than that with out nitpicking too much. Just some of my quick thoughts:

- That is the Edward Morrow we were all hoping for. It'll be nice to see him at the four (hopefully) next year and I am sure with another year he will add a little bit more to his game.

- Man did Hammond make some bonehead mistakes. It's gonna be hard for him to get out of the "doghouse" playing like that and I really think he could be beneficial to us.

- That Nick Fuller dunk was nice but those two free throws were awful

- Shavon's dunk was legit. I would've liked to see a dunk like that at home; crowd would have erupted.

- Andrew White had proven he is the best player on the team. I am a huge Shields fan but he has been unimpressive in league play so far.

-  I was pleased with the guard play of Watson, Parker, and Webster. Tai still misses too many easy layups

- Evelyn is nice but I wonder how he fits in to the future plans with Gill being eligible next season. I really do not understand why he did not redshirt. I see him as a prospect that will transfer in the off season or next. I do not know him personally, but with the mentality most kids have nowadays he will want to play and I do not see a lot of playing time for him until junior year. Hopefully I am wrong though because I think he will be a solid player if he stays.

- I love any game where the walk-ons get to play

Minnesota is a team we should be, especially since we are at home. And not to look ahead, but Illinois on the road is winnable. If we can win the next two I think we are back in business for post-season play; specifically the NIT. I think this is a team that is not going to give up and still has yet to play its best basketball.

Ok. Let's stipulate that Rutgers isn't very good. And they've had some blowout losses. But how did they manage to keep theses games respectable:

12/30 loss to Indiana 79-72

11/30 loss to Creighton 85-75

11/23 loss to Wake Forrest 69-68

I think they mentioned that like 3 of their guys (big men) were out with injuries.  The team we faced yesterday was likely nowhere near the team that played the three games you listed.

Solid game overall. First one I have been able to see in real time since we went to Creighton. Cannot get a much better outcome than that with out nitpicking too much. Just some of my quick thoughts:

- That is the Edward Morrow we were all hoping for. It'll be nice to see him at the four (hopefully) next year and I am sure with another year he will add a little bit more to his game.

- Man did Hammond make some bonehead mistakes. It's gonna be hard for him to get out of the "doghouse" playing like that and I really think he could be beneficial to us.

- That Nick Fuller dunk was nice but those two free throws were awful

- Shavon's dunk was legit. I would've liked to see a dunk like that at home; crowd would have erupted.

- Andrew White had proven he is the best player on the team. I am a huge Shields fan but he has been unimpressive in league play so far.

-  I was pleased with the guard play of Watson, Parker, and Webster. Tai still misses too many easy layups

- Evelyn is nice but I wonder how he fits in to the future plans with Gill being eligible next season. I really do not understand why he did not redshirt. I see him as a prospect that will transfer in the off season or next. I do not know him personally, but with the mentality most kids have nowadays he will want to play and I do not see a lot of playing time for him until junior year. Hopefully I am wrong though because I think he will be a solid player if he stays.

- I love any game where the walk-ons get to play

Minnesota is a team we should be, especially since we are at home. And not to look ahead, but Illinois on the road is winnable. If we can win the next two I think we are back in business for post-season play; specifically the NIT. I think this is a team that is not going to give up and still has yet to play its best basketball.

Lots of good pts - regarding Hammond & Webster, I noticed something yesterday. 

Hammond fumbled that pass in the 1st half, and then followed it up with 3 more quick errors. It looked like he was trying so hard to make up for the 1st mistake that he made 3 more immediately. You could just see it in his body language when he was standing on the FT lane right after that. He's lacking confidence.

Almost the same thing with Tai - he had a few missed layups, passed up some open shots. He then made a couple layups late, but you could see it in his body language too that he was thinking about the misses, being too tough on himself, playing tight. When Miles took Tai out for the last time with the game in hand, I think Benny and maybe Jacobson came out at the same time, and Miles greeted them as they came to the bench. The first two guys slapped hands with Coach and kept walking down the bench. Tai came over with his head down, didn't have his hand out for Miles, and Miles had to stop him and say something to him, just as the camera cut away. He just looked like a player lacking confidence, being too tough on himself.

NU needs both guys going forward and needs them to be confident and productive, so hopefully the coaches can keep working with them to focus on the positives more and let the mistakes go. It just looks to me like both of them are trying way too hard and compounding an initial mistake as a result.

Indiana was down at half and only won by 7. We're going to see a nice kenpom bounce from this one

Yes we Did!  From KenPom #143 to #111.  :)