What's with Jake?

Rachoo

I live out of state - though we are huge supporters - and have been to Lincoln to see 3 ball games so far this year.

In some of the early games it seemed that Jake Hammond had made a good deal of progress and had a couple of games with at least moderate point production - some decent rebound numbers - and a few blocks.  He was performing at that time at a better level than I would have imagined.

Recently he has not had any significant time in the rotation and not sure he even has been in the last couple of games. 

In watching the Northwestern game on TV where no one was either able - or willing - to get a body on Pardon to block him away from the basket in getting rebounds or follow up shots - or to give some interruption in his taking the ball to the hoop - it seemed as though Jake might have provided a possibility in that area. 

What is it that we don't know about why Jake has fallen out of favor - or not getting and playing time? Haven't really heard about anything specific.

Jacobsen has a great future and did his best - but wasn't able to handle the assignment without getting into foul trouble. 

Can you give some insight into what the thinking is in trying to deal with the inside bigs as we go into Big Ten play - where we don't have a truly quality 5 post man?

There's not much we don't know about him (as a player). Quite frankly he's not very good. There's not a ton of mystery here. And if he's not going to be a flat out lock down guy on defense (blocking shots, taking up the lane, rebounding, taking away the other teams post), then you can't play him.

And I don't mean that as a personal attack or to be negative... Just is what it is.

There's not much we don't know about him (as a player). Quite frankly he's not very good. There's not a ton of mystery here. And if he's not going to be a flat out lock down guy on defense (blocking shots, taking up the lane, rebounding, taking away the other teams post), then you can't play him.

And I don't mean that as a personal attack or to be negative... Just is what it is.

Well, he had 11 points and 10 rebounds against Tennessee in 25 minutes.  Against Miami, he had 4 blocks and 3 rebounds in 22 minutes.  He had 6 points and 4 rebounds against Creighton in 12 minutes.  I'm thinking it's something else, because those aren't numbers where a guy doesn't get to play when a freshmen goes for 28 points and 12 rebounds.

Hasn't he had grade issues in the past?

He has. However, we're inbetween semesters so I'm not sure why he'd sit now.

Maybe grades were poor again at the end of last semester and he is sitting suspension games?  Really trying to pull something here, but something is better than nothing!

Hasn't he had grade issues in the past?

He has. However, we're inbetween semesters so I'm not sure why he'd sit now.

Maybe grades were poor again at the end of last semester and he is sitting suspension games?  Really trying to pull something here, but something is better than nothing!

Well, it did start Abilene Christian game where he went from starter to 3rd string. It's possible that it's sort of snowballed from there.

Agree with Smiles and Jones.  I don't think this more than Coach wanting to play what he feels his best players are.  I have a feeling we might see some of Hammonds today, depending on how it goes.  While he is not going to offer us much offensive production, he does provide us with help on the defensive boards, and he can give you a few shot blocks with those long arms of his. 

It's a tough spot to be in for a coach, because you have to balance playing to your strengths without having the opposing team always dictate the type of players you have to play. 

Well, he had 11 points and 10 rebounds against Tennessee in 25 minutes. Against Miami, he had 4 blocks and 3 rebounds in 22 minutes. He had 6 points and 4 rebounds against Creighton in 12 minutes. I'm thinking it's something else, because those aren't numbers where a guy doesn't get to play when a freshmen goes for 28 points and 12 rebounds.
2/3 of those games were losses. And Tennessee was his first career double double, and they're one of the smallest teams in the nation. And 3 rebounds in 22 minutes against Miami isn't exactly something I'd call outstanding.

To be as much of a liability as he is offensively, you have to be a near all-conference level defender to play big time minutes (Benny Parker). If you're not, it's simply just a numbers game issue. And we certainly can't keep having more than 1 or 2 offensive liabilities on the floor all game. We're destined for failure with Benny/Jake/Tai on the floor at the same time. Just a "is what it is" sort of thing.

And again, I'm not attacking or doubting the young man. And I'm sure he's a great dude. But the question asked was "what don't we know about Jake?" And I don't really think there's anything we don't know, it's not a mystery why he can't play big minutes with the make up of our team. Also, all just my opinions. I'm not smart enough to speak in facts.

Agree with Smiles and Jones. I don't think this more than Coach wanting to play what he feels his best players are. I have a feeling we might see some of Hammonds today, depending on how it goes. While he is not going to offer us much offensive production, he does provide us with help on the defensive boards, and he can give you a few shot blocks with those long arms of his.

It's a tough spot to be in for a coach, because you have to balance playing to your strengths without having the opposing team always dictate the type of players you have to play.

I'd like to see him play when Watson, White, and Tai are on the floor. Without Shields or Parker. Let him stay opposite and crash the boards on drives.

i think miles prefers jacobson because he's a better shooter. hammond is shooting 39% from the FT line. that's a pretty big liability.

It's more about Hammond fouling than shooting. If he could play defense for 20 minutes and only draw 2-3 fouls I think he'd still be starting

i think miles prefers jacobson because he's a better shooter. hammond is shooting 39% from the FT line. that's a pretty big liability.

It's more about Hammond fouling than shooting. If he could play defense for 20 minutes and only draw 2-3 fouls I think he'd still be starting

not sure i agree with that. jacobson fouled out in 18 min against northwestern. all our bigs are struggling with fouling right now.

not sure i agree with that. jacobson fouled out in 18 min against northwestern. all our bigs are struggling with fouling right now.

That was more of an outlier than the norm for Jacobson. His fouls committed per 40 minutes is the lowest of our 3 centers

Also makes me wonder how dumb these players are for Oklahoma that decided to forego the draft and come back to school.

Their team is just awful and this is in now way helping their pro stock.

Don't they realize how they are now too old to be desirable to NBA teams?

And I mean shoot, Spangler could've gotten $50k on a training camp contract and been set for at least 8 months. What a dummy!