uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 8, Issue 14 - Northwestern

uneblinstu

And since we are on the topic, here is how I see Miles' tenure at Nebraska so far.

He gets here. Expectations are zero. He immediately hits the floor running from the recruiting standpoint. Petteway, Pitchford, Biggs. Brings in Vucetic, a big. A big toothpick but a big nonetheless. Season one is a throwaway, everyone knows it. Shields comes into his own. He brings in Leslee Smith. Another big. Season two, Miles strikes gold, catches lightning in a bottle. NCAA tournament appearance. Lands senior transfer Moses Abraham. Yet another big. Still trying to fill gaps. Jacob Hammond, yet another big comes in. Now for season three, expectations are at a ridiculous level considering where the program had been for decades. Season three is a flop. And now here we are season four. Andrew White, Ed Morrow, Glynn Watson, Michael Jacobsen, Jack McVeigh, Bakari Evelyn. Remember, Miles had never intended to need 6 fresh bodies at this point. Petteway, Pitchford, and Biggs are supposed to be in their senior seasons now. Instead, because of a multitude of factors, there is a large gap to bridge and there is a huge crop of newcomers, several who have to play meaningful roles instead of being afforded the chance to grow up within an established program. Oh, totally forgot the part about assistant leaves, new assistant hired, assistant leaves, another new assistant hired, The new assistant leaves before the season starts and another new assistant is hired. All of this inconsistency of the coaching staff within a program that has had a partial, incomplete team each and every year since Miles has been here. I'm not trying to make excuses more than I'm just trying to validate what I've seen over the last 4 years with actual reasons.

This is all on Miles. I know it's been said that without the tournament appearance we don't get the 4 star guys we have on the roster today, but is it possible that Miles catching lightning in a bottle actually hurt the program build that Miles needed to make Nebraska a consistent winner? I keep hearing people question whether Miles has the tools to coach the upgrade in talent that he has recruited here. In my eyes, the single best thing Miles can do with this season is to teach in a way (regardless of win-loss record) that makes all the newcomers and freshman want to remain with the team so that next year's crop of 4-star guys roll into a program behind the current newbies. I need to see some stability. With the assistants to. Now if there's a player or assistant that needs to go then by all means go but for the most part id like to see us roll from one season to the next without major upheaval. Please. And for goodness sake, find a big man. I know quality ones are hard to find and I'm not still pretty sure that we will have something in Hammond or Jacobsen by the time try are upper classmen, but let's start rolling in big men behind these guys each and every year. My god Miles has had bad luck with the injuries, the swings and misses, and the desperation heaves on the big men.

I don't want to bring his name up because I respect the guy and he had a lot of passion for the program, but at a lesser level Doc had the same troubles. Is there such thing as stability at a program like Nebraska? Let alone, the college landscape has changed so much that constant change is the norm.

Something is way off on the Hammond front. I don't think he can be in that bad of a dog house to not have been put into the game today.

Did he maybe do something that we haven't heard about or could it be grades? Remember last year he missed a trip due to his grades right?

Could he be sick or hurt in some way? I can't think that Tim is so mad at him that he is willing to lose to prove a point it's the kid.

Crowd was good, Elijah looked good hope he and his mom liked what we have to offer.

Well need to play a whole game on Saturday.

Post game radio interview Miles said he is questioning himself regarding lineups.  I wonder if he had Hammonds in mind with that statement.  I have to wonder if Pardon goes off like he did with Hammonds in there. 

Something is way off on the Hammond front. I don't think he can be in that bad of a dog house to not have been put into the game today.

Did he maybe do something that we haven't heard about or could it be grades? Remember last year he missed a trip due to his grades right?

Could he be sick or hurt in some way? I can't think that Tim is so mad at him that he is willing to lose to prove a point it's the kid.

Crowd was good, Elijah looked good hope he and his mom liked what we have to offer.

Post game radio interview Miles said he is questioning himself regarding lineups.  I wonder if he had Hammonds in mind with that statement.  I have to wonder if Pardon goes off like he did with Hammonds in there. 

It is comments like these that I hate.  I am a big Miles supporter and I am a big team supporter.  I believe in what Miles is doing and certainly am not losing faith in him.  With that being said, he needs to get his **** together.  STOP questioning yourself!  You know more about the game of basketball than most everyone on here an it doesn't stop us from taking a position and sticking to it.  I believe in Miles, but he needs to believe in himself.  When that happens, I think we will see the team start believing in themselves too!

It is comments like these that I hate.  I am a big Miles supporter and I am a big team supporter.  I believe in what Miles is doing and certainly am not losing faith in him.  With that being said, he needs to get his **** together.  STOP questioning yourself!  You know more about the game of basketball than most everyone on here an it doesn't stop us from taking a position and sticking to it.  I believe in Miles, but he needs to believe in himself.  When that happens, I think we will see the team start believing in themselves too!

I liked how he coached guys up today, he was fired up and was coaching. Not screaming and loosing his stuff.

Post game radio interview Miles said he is questioning himself regarding lineups. I wonder if he had Hammonds in mind with that statement. I have to wonder if Pardon goes off like he did with Hammonds in there.

It is comments like these that I hate. I am a big Miles supporter and I am a big team supporter. I believe in what Miles is doing and certainly am not losing faith in him. With that being said, he needs to get his **** together. STOP questioning yourself! You know more about the game of basketball than most everyone on here an it doesn't stop us from taking a position and sticking to it. I believe in Miles, but he needs to believe in himself. When that happens, I think we will see the team start believing in themselves too!

I liked how he coached guys up today, he was fired up and was coaching. Not screaming and loosing his stuff.

Here's the thing. Something has obviously happened/changed with Hammond because you don't 'question the lineup' to the point of not playing a guy who had started previously in the year even a single minute. Something has happened to warrant (in Miles' eyes) Hammond not playing and Miles is not questioning that. He's talking about something else. And yes I'd like to hear Miles be more confident with what he goes with, but coaches question or second-guess decisions after losses all the time. The thing I like about Miles is that at least he's honest about it, Miles has always been that way. The Hammond situation is weird. For a team that desperately needs help inside, it's weird for him to not get any time. At least to switch things up and see if someone new can keep a beast off the offensive glass. In Miles' mind, benching Hammond is no accident and he's not questioning that at all, whatever the reason may be. We don't know if it's injury, grades, or just the David Rivers treatment. If it's the latter, I would still prefer that Hammond get his chances on this thin team to help things out. He's sucked at times but he's also given some serviceable minutes and shown some things. Why not give him the chance to, you know, develop?

And as an extension to that last post, for all the clammoring for a big guy, we have 2 of them. One is a freshman, the other is a sophomore and if we treat them right, one or both may turn out to be pretty darn good by the time they are juniors and seniors. No, they're not large, paint-controlling pogo sticks, but that's the way you have to do it with big guys a lot of the time. You know, bring them in and train them up.

And as an extension to that last post, for all the clammoring for a big guy, we have 2 of them. One is a freshman, the other is a sophomore and if we treat them right, one or both may turn out to be pretty darn good by the time they are juniors and seniors. No, they're not large, paint-controlling pogo sticks, but that's the way you have to do it with big guys a lot of the time. You know, bring them in and train them up.

We just need to keep feeding the pipeline and either grin and bear it in the meantime or else find a JUCO. Seems like Jacobson should be a good one for 4 years and hopefully at some point Hammond can become viable, even if it's only his senior year. As far as Morrow goes I'll put the over/under date at March 7th for when we get a "oh yeah he's been really injured the entire year and never fully recovered from the summer and NOW we're going to tell you about it" presser.

Miles Presser

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4865111

Benny/Andrew Presser

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4864421

Postgame Notes
*-Benny Parker set or tied career bests in points (17, previous high 12 at Hawaii, 12/22/13); assists (7, 7 vs. Tulane, 11/21/12) and 3-pointers (5, two, five previous times). Parker also matched his season high with five rebounds.
*-Nebraska’s six turnovers was a season low (11 vs. Arkansas Pine Bluff). 
*-Nebraska’s 18 assists was the second-highest assist total of the season
*-Andrew White III finished with 22 points, marking his fourth 20-point game of the year. White also hit a career-high five 3-pointers (previous high was four on three occasions).
*-Nebraska allowed an opponent to shoot over 50 percent for just the third time in the last 58 contests dating back to 2013-14.
*-Nebraska’s 40-25 rebounding deficit was its lowest of the season, and marked the fifth time in 14 games NU was out-rebounded.
*-Derek Pardon’s 28 points and 12 rebounds were highs for a Nebraska opponent this season.

Head Coach Tim Miles Quotes

On Nebraska’s rebounding struggles

“I think that we did some different things. Usually when you don’t box out well you don’t get the ball under control. If you’ve got (Tre) Demps and (Bryant) McIntosh driving the ball and getting a shot up on the rim. If your defense is broke down like that it’s hard to get a rebound. That’s where (Dererk) Pardon had his six offensive rebounds at and I don’t know how many of them he just stuck back in or got fouled and scored on. It felt like all of them. We went small and I knew that would hurt our rebound a little bit, with Jack (McVeigh) and Nick (Fuller) for a few possessions. It was good for us at the end of the first-half and I waited to use it until later in the game. We were up nine and I think they scored 34 points on 19 possessions and we didn’t get a stop the last ten possessions until they ran out the clock. They scored 21 points off of that there was 5:31 left in the game and then we got six points out of Tai (Webster) and then nothing else. We didn’t play defense all night let alone get a rebound.”

On what was said in the huddle after Benny Parker’s layup in the second half

“First of all, I told Benny (Parker) to keep going and you can do it. I just told our guys that we’ve got to string stops together. You want this process thinking with them. You don’t want to ride the wave of emotion too much, but you want them to have some emotion into it. I think what I told them, as I recall, we’ve got to string stops together and build on this and keep going. And we didn’t.”

On the team’s performance

“It was just a really disappointing game. I thought our fans were great. It was a good college basketball game for a long time. Down the stretch I thought we got hesitant after Andrew (White III) went on his little burst and run. It seemed like after that no one wanted to shoot. We called a couple sets and guys just looked away and looked off shots and broke two of them off. Anytime your guys are breaking off their sets or plays, something’s up. They’re not confident in that action working and I know the guys felt that in the high post they were getting matched up to. It felt like a box and one so we tried some things on the baseline. I thought Shavon (Shields) went on a dry spell after he hit his first few shots then we couldn’t get him going. If it wasn’t for Benny (Parker) we would have really been in trouble. Glynn (Watson Jr.) had some troubles defensively on (Tre) Demps and (Bryant) McIntosh tonight. We had too many defensive errors.”

On Benny Parker’s performance

“I’m happy for Benny (Parker). He’s put in a lot of work and that had to be really fun for him there for a long time. He deserves that. I’m certainly encouraged, anytime you see a guy like that just keep stepping up and keep stepping up. He also had seven assists and just the one turnover where he tried to throw it down to Ed (Morrow Jr.) instead of out to Tai (Webster) or Andrew (White III). That drive you’ve got to throw out and not down. The play is not there but I think we only had six or seven turnovers so turnovers were not the biggest problem.”

Andrew White III & Benny Parker

On the most frustrating part of the loss 
Andrew White III: 
“Not coming out with it honestly. We were right there the whole game. It just shows that there is a fine line between winning and losing in the Big Ten. I have to credit their team, they made a lot of plays in the crucial moments. I’ve been saying it this whole season, when you have tight games there are going to be a handful of crucial moments and they won most of that. That’s probably the most frustrating part is just not quite getting over the hump. We gave up some big rebounds, a couple little defensive errors here and there and they made us pay for every one of them.”

On if they worked out the rebound problems within the last few practices
Andrew White III: 
“I don’t know the exact numbers off the top of my head but that is always an area that we are looking in to. I mean you could have a good spurt of rebounding games but I don’t think that is something you can solve game to game you just have to go in to the game. That is something that doesn’t necessarily carry over. So that is always something that we are going to have to focus on just because the biggest translation of rebounds is size. Which we are a little under size so that is where I am on that.”

On the first half and how it was very efficient and what went right
Benny Parker: 
“I think we were just moving the ball and we were sticking to our game plan. I think halfway through the second half we fell away from that. We kind of had a mental breakdown and then it just kept going with all our mistakes.”

On not having a lot of film Derek Pardon and trying to keep him from doing his thing 
Andrew White III
: “He wasn’t a guy that you had to watch a lot of tape on. He did simple things, he made simple plays and the kind of stuff he did you can’t necessarily scout. He crashed the boards. He rolled well and he was just aggressive. When you have a big man like that, usually your effort can give you a game like that if you’re in to it. So I don’t think the scouting report on him was the reason for his good game. I think he just went out there and played hard and confident. His team got him going. He dumped off some easy buckets.”

On if he thought they were going to take control in the second half
Benny Parker: 
“I think that is what really messed us up to be honest. I think we got kind of comfortable at that point. I think coming out of that time out we would have had a couple of turnovers and they hit a couple of three’s after that. I wasn’t thinking the game was over but I think some people just got comfortable at that point in time of the

game.”

On if they feel like they kind of gave this game away
Benny Parker: 
“I mean yes. It’s always a tough feeling losing. Being beat up by eleven or whatever it was. We let it slip away. Of course we’re going to have a down feeling in the locker room. Guys are doubting themselves and the mistakes that they made. We have to bounce back.”

On if he felt warmed up today offensively 
Benny Parker: 
“Honestly my teammates just kept telling me to shoot the ball. So that boost my confidence even more. I just kept shooting the ball because that is what they wanted me to do.”

Northwestern Head Coach Chris Collins

Opening Statement

“Well, Big Ten play is here. It’s amazing when the conference season starts how the level of the games just raises to another intensity. It’s always a great venue to come in here and play. I love this building. I love the fans here. There’s a great energy. I thought Coach Miles had his team really ready to play. They were really sharp offensively. Parker’s play in the first half was tremendous. You have to pick your poison a little bit, White and Shields are such great players. We wanted to help a little bit off Benny and to his credit he really made us pay. We got off to a poor start in the second half down twelve there. They scored thirteen points in a row to start the second half. We were down twelve. We challenged our guys a little bit about who they want to be. Do they want to lie down and roll over or do you want to fight back. I thought we finally started getting some stops and made some timely shots. To win on the road is not easy. They all count the same and I have a lot of respect for Nebraska’s program. Coach Miles is a really good coach. It’s really hard to score on them. They play really hard. We’re going to enjoy this one thentomorrow we are going to get ready for the next game.”

On Northwestern’s poise

“They’re showing a lot of heart. Last year we suffered a lot of heartache. A lot of heartbreak. We seem to be on the losing end of all those games. Whether it was self-induced of another team just played great against us and beat us. I think sometimes when you go through those tough times, you find out what you’re made of. We lost ten straight elite games last year after winning our first one. That was not a fun six weeks. We had guys laying it all out there and losing games in the last minute or the buzzer or overtime. You find out how badly you want it. You find out how badly that hurts and you don’t want to go back to that place. I think our guys have drawn upon those experiences and it’s really helped us in close games this year.”

On adjustments made after Benny Parker’s first half

“We wanted to just give him a little more attention. Quite frankly, we were okay with him shooting jump shots. We were so afraid of Shavon (Shields) driving and getting us in foul trouble. Then obviously, you have to pay close attention to Andrew (White III) with his shooting. Benny was kind of the guy we wanted to use his man as a helper. Fortunately, it went dry for him. I thought he had some good looks that he just didn’t make. Credit to him. Great performance. Senior guard. I’ve always been a big fan of his game. His defensive intensity. He was a key guy for them.”

*Offensively we fell in love with the jump shot too much and weren't aggressive enough against the zone. With Olah out we needed to be more aggressive going to the rim, and I thought could've gotten Pardon in foul trouble. An inexperienced player like him can have success just going to the rim again and again offensively early in his career, but playing good defense without fouling is a lot tougher to learn at this level. So it was disappointing we didn't do more of that until late.

*As far as our defense, Pardon had the numbers and obviously killed us, but it was mostly because of McIntosh & Demps and the way they ran the pick & roll. I swear they got to the point in the final 10-12 minutes where if the pick & roll lob wasn't immediately there that they were just throwing the ball up toward the rim, almost like a pass, knowing Pardon would go get it if they missed, because they knew we were going to be out of position defensively after defending the pick & roll. I felt like those two really wore down Tai & Benny with their constant movement on the offensive end, and NW did a great job setting screens for those two right at the edge of what's legal. I don't think a single illegal screen was called in the game on either side - have we had a game like that this season? So a credit to NW for understanding how the game was being called & adjusting to it better than we did.

*And the above is why Watson didn't play more. His defense was atrocious when he was in there. And also probably why Hammond didn't play - the coaches didn't think he could move well enough to defend the pick & roll. Although I thought going with Fuller & McVeigh at the 5 late when Jacobson was in foul trouble was a huge mistake. And what we probably needed to do was almost match up "lines" like hockey - immediately insert Watson whenever McIntosh or Demps went to the bench and keep him from having to guard either guy, so he could give us a bit of an offensive punch in the 2nd half.

*Now the scary part is we're using our supposed best defensive group (no Watson, no Hammond) during most of NW's big 2nd half run and we were still beyond horrible. That is not encouraging with a team like Indiana on the horizon. I know Coach Miles & Mo are man to man guys, but throwing in some zone as a change-up would've been worth a shot, just to get away from the pick & roll and maybe slow NW's offensive momentum. I'm sure they're concerned about how we'd rebound in zone, but I mean we couldn't have rebounded any worse than we did in the second half. I could've sworn I looked on the ribbon boards and the rebounding was something like 17-17 at one point. So to finish minus-15 at 40-25 is almost unfathomable.

Pick and Roll Disaster

Pardon sets a pick on Benny. McIntosh is going left and McVeigh is covering Pardon waiting to pop out on McIntosh. Andrew is the only guy in the paint, covering 6-5 Scottie Lindsey.

2403fadae8.jpg

McIntosh puts up the shot which is contested by McVeigh. Everyone on the court is watching it except for Pardon who is watching it and heading towards the basket while watching.

151b135d97.jpg

With McVeigh recovering from contesting the shot, he's the only guy not on his man, a man who has 4 offensive rebounds already in this half and a clear lane to the rim.

57daa52fce.jpg

Pardon is running to the cylinder. Jack is boxing out McIntosh/gawking. Everyone else is lagging behind to get the rebound.

79887ccede.jpg

Oh Shit. This was the last time Nebraska led this game.

5cb9e3ea40.jpg

Exactly - most of Pardon's points came off those pick on rolls where our post defender helped off him.   Usually it was on more of a drive to the hoop than the jumper illustrated above - but the result was the same.    If the perimeter defender can't fight over that screen and let the post recover back to his man that is going to happen - or you have to have somebody rotate in to cover that post player and box them out.  We did neither - but one thing I am really certain about is the answer is not to play McVeigh or Fuller at the 5 position.

Two quotes in the paper from Miles this morning made me mad.

First he is quoted as saying he put Fuller at the 5 to get more "skill" on the floor.  I like Nick Fuller for what he is and the effort he gives but I can't see how putting him in for Morrow or Jacobson puts more "skill" on the floor.  If that is your goal why not bring in Watson and play with 3 guards and put Shavon at the 5.  I think that would be a stupid lineup also - but at least it would be consistent with what he said he was trying to do.  Would have made more sense than what we really tried at least.

Second he mentioned how we tried to run set plays at the end that did not work because players "looked off" shots.  I am not sure it is the same possessions but we had at least 2 long possessions in the last 5 minutes where Andrew White did not even touch the ball.  White was carrying us offensively in the 2nd half.  If you are going to run a set play it sure as hell should be a set play for Andrew White.  Maybe the other guys "looked off" the shots because they knew Drew was the one that should be getting the shot?  Again maybe those were different possessions - but I did not see White not taking any open looks at any point in the game.

15 minutes from Watson.  When the entire offense was afraid to shoot for the last 4 minutes of the game, we really could have used him.  However, had we played any sort of defense the entire game we wouldn't have needed to

What's scary is that on paper, this game was completely in our favor.

9 times out of 10, scoring 72 points at home on 45% from the field, 42% from deep, and 87% from the line will get it done no problem.

4 more assists than your opponent.

1 less turnover than your opponent.

Triple double alert from your PG that produces very minimal stats his entire career.

At first glance you sit at wonder how in the hell we ever lost this game.

But to allow them more defensive rebounds than our total rebounds is pathetic.

To allow them over double the FT attempts we shoot is awful.

I just don't understand it with this team.  I don't know how everyone else feels, but I think this one stings more to me than the Samford loss, and trust me I was pissed after the Samford game.  But to give up a 12 point lead at home to a conference foe with a record like that (granted they played a shitty non con) just absolutely kills me.

I said it previously but I still completely think Miles is the guy for this job, but I'm starting to question it more than I should.  The loss of Craig Smith is way more devastating than any of us ever could've imagined, and the addition of Molinari has just killed us. Something has to change IMMEDIATELY!

The point about Molinari is a good one as I don't think he has helped us either.  Does anyone really know how we handle substitutions?  There was one time yesterday when I did notice Molinari send a guy in without any apparent input from Miles.  Obviously most of the time Miles seems to be the one triggering the sub.  But maybe Molinari is as much to blame for these crazy stupid lineups we seem to put on the floor at times.

15 minutes from Watson. When the entire offense was afraid to shoot for the last 4 minutes of the game, we really could have used him. However, had we played any sort of defense the entire game we wouldn't have needed to

What's scary is that on paper, this game was completely in our favor.

9 times out of 10, scoring 72 points at home on 45% from the field, 42% from deep, and 87% from the line will get it done no problem.

4 more assists than your opponent.

1 less turnover than your opponent.

Triple double alert from your PG that produces very minimal stats his entire career.

At first glance you sit at wonder how in the hell we ever lost this game.

But to allow them more defensive rebounds than our total rebounds is pathetic.

To allow them over double the FT attempts we shoot is awful.

I just don't understand it with this team. I don't know how everyone else feels, but I think this one stings more to me than the Samford loss, and trust me I was pissed after the Samford game. But to give up a 12 point lead at home to a conference foe with a record like that (granted they played a shitty non con) just absolutely kills me.

I said it previously but I still completely think Miles is the guy for this job, but I'm starting to question it more than I should. The loss of Craig Smith is way more devastating than any of us ever could've imagined, and the addition of Molinari has just killed us. Something has to change IMMEDIATELY!

Obviously I'm frustrated, disappointed, and pissed that we lost. But is it scary that we had great numbers yesterday and lost? Or is it encouraging that we played well in so many areas and shoulda beat a good team despite having a young and incomplete team once again? I know that at some point you've got to just win a damn game but still...That 42% from 3 btw was 50% before about 4 misses in a row during desperation time at the end. That game yesterday, we win by 20 if we just box out Pardon. It's that simple and we shouldn't over complicate it. I know the big man/rebounding situation is the glaring weakness but that's the single thing that cost us the game yesterday. Was that just last year when Rivers wasn't providing anything from a rebounding standpoint? And then he was in the Miles doghouse, coach lit a fire underneath him and then he had some great rebounding games? Maybe he can get Morrow going in that regard.

We've heard numerous times Miles something like...that's a tough offense for a "pack" defense. We've heard it vs Creighton, we heard it before the NW game, and we may hear it before the Indiana game. At what point do you do try something different vs those type of teams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So someone on here with more defensive knowledge than me please explain the pack defense. Is that Molinari's defense where you basically pack it in and allow passes so as to require the offense to use more time to get a shot? Am I correct that a pack defense would very much conflict with Miles' preferred defensive style of getting after the ball more? I know I'm not using all the proper terms and all but is my simplified understanding correct at all? Can these 2 styles mesh? Do we need to get rid of Coach Mo? We are clearly better when we are creating turnovers and when the defense leads to more of s tradition offense.