2018 Isaiah Chandler - Wichita St

Chuck Taylor

The only time I saw him play was at the State Tournament. The Kearney kid took it to him pretty good. Seemed a little slow and not in the best shape. However he had some obvious skills and with proper weight training and dietary aid at Nebraska, he might be able to turn into a decent role player at Nebraska. Especially considering there are 4 open scholarships he is worth one in my opinion. 

Reason Nebraska didn't recruit him to begin with?  Wasn't he a decent in state guy?  To me Nebraska basketball success depends on building from in state.  Completely recruiting out of state hasn't worked.  To advance basketball in the state Nebraska should be recruiting one or two guys a year from within the borders.  If I had to put a number on it, at least 30% of the roster should be made up of Nebraska players.

Hopefully we can get him.  We need the size.  Not to mention we don't have much choice to fill scholarships.

Edited by cozrulz

13 minutes ago, cozrulz said:

Reason Nebraska didn't recruit him to begin with?  Wasn't he a decent in state guy?  To me Nebraska basketball success depends on building from in state.  Completely recruiting out of state hasn't worked.  To advance basketball in the state Nebraska should be recruiting one or two guys a year from within the borders.  If I had to put a number on it, at least 30% of the roster should be made up of Nebraska players.

Hopefully we can get him.  We need the size.  Not to mention we don't have much choice to fill scholarships.

And then get Wingett next year after a year at prep school!

5 hours ago, cozrulz said:

Need to get any kid in the state that is worthy of a Div 1 ship.  That said, don't take kids just to fill an in-state quota.

6 hours ago, cozrulz said:

First, you can't be competitive in the Big 10 with "decent  instate guys." If there is one that is substantially better than decent, then NU should make a run at them. 

Second, 30% of a roster is 4.5. Since you can't have 1/2 a player and you said "at least" 30% that rounds up to 5 players on the roster. That seems kind of high unless you count the walk-ones and then we were at 20% instate players this past season. 

Edited by Dean Smith

20 hours ago, cozrulz said:

To advance basketball in the state Nebraska should be recruiting one or two guys a year from within the borders.  If I had to put a number on it, at least 30% of the roster should be made up of Nebraska players.

You're recommending career suicide for whoever the coach is who does this here.

29 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

Better than the scrub from Winthrop

Can you be sure?  I have not watched either play, but I am willing to bet the coaches have.  I just want the best big man available.  The "scrub from Winthrop" only has a year of eligibility.  If we take him, and he can be a serviceable back up for one year, and then we can ring the bell next recruiting season for a top center, then I am fine with the Winthrop dude.

Just for some perspective, our neighbor to the south, Kansas, has three D1 basketball programs.  Kansas also has more than 1 1/2 times the population of Nebraska.  And the amount by which the population of Kansas exceeds the population of Nebraska is primarily accounted for in terms of urban population, as opposed to rural population.

According to Rivals and the Shocker, KSU, and KU websites, the three D1 basketball programs in Kansas COMBINED have the same total number of scholarship kids from Kansas on their entire rosters as what cozrulz is recommending we ourselves take from Nebraska every single year. 

KU hasn't recruited a Kansas kid since Conner Frankamp in 2013, who transferred to Wichita State.  Frankamp is now the only scholarship recruit from Kansas on Wichita State's team.  And KSU has 1 scholarship player from the State of Kansas.  One.  KU has none.  Oh, and Frankamp was a Rivals 4-star as was the one scholarship Kansas kid on KSU's roster.

So, do the math:  Three programs, two in-state scholarship players combined, from a state with more than 1 1/2 times the population of Nebraska.

Edited by Norm Peterson
for clarity

5 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Better than the scrub from Winthrop

this guy is clearly trolling but he might not be wrong. duby averaged 3 and 3, was in foul trouble nearly every game, and shot 26% from the FT line.

other than filling a need for a big guy, i'm not real excited about duby.

Edited by TimSmiles

13 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

this guy is clearly trolling but he might not be wrong. duby averaged 3 and 3, was in foul trouble nearly every game, and shot 26% from the FT line.

other than filling a need for a big guy, i'm not real excited about duby.

How could you talk so bad about duby on 4/20!  Rude!