uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 8, Issue 10 - Creighton

uneblinstu

Gotta say I was pretty disappointed by Shields in this one. 5 turnovers, 6 points.

Creighton took him away and he spent more time chewing on his jersey and cursing than rallying the team.

He was looking ahead to his long NBA career.  Maybe Miles will be his coach when he is snatched up front the college ranks.

The scouting was so huge in this game.  CU had us pegged to a T and we looked like we had not watched a single minute of film on those guys.  One of three things is happening:

1.  Miles and his staff are poor at scouting, or

2.  Miles and his staff are poor at teaching the scouting report to the players, or

3.  The players Miles recruited have such low BB IQs that they can't comprehend the scouting report.  

Not sure which it is but none of them are a good.

Gotta say I was pretty disappointed by Shields in this one. 5 turnovers, 6 points.

Creighton took him away and he spent more time chewing on his jersey and cursing than rallying the team.

Didn't guard anyone either.  Didn't close out on a 3, then turned it over, and HE yells back at Miles.  Very tough night for Shavon.  Hope he's spittin' nails sunday against RI.  

The scouting was so huge in this game.  CU had us pegged to a T and we looked like we had not watched a single minute of film on those guys.  One of three things is happening:

2.  Miles and his staff are poor at teaching the scouting report to the players, or

3.  The players Miles recruited have such low BB IQs that they can't comprehend the scouting report.  

This is spot on. For example, Zierden knows exactly how to get open against Tai, to the point that Tai can't guard him.

Or, 

4. The players were too sand-blasted from lack of sleep studying for their "four finals" such as they mentioned shields is.

From experience they tend to really pile it on in december and frankly I feel teams need to be experienced and solid to get through the month unscathed. Right now a guy I live with as well as multiple friends and my little brother are going out of their minds with college work and finals, papers etc. Idk how much they'd put on the athletes and its no excuse for poor play, but it's certainly something to keep in mind. 

This is spot on. For example, Zierden knows exactly how to get open against Tai, to the point that Tai can't guard him.

SURELY zierden isnt THAT good, is he? Or is he another one of those pasty iowa boys that always find a way to pummel us for career highs? #salty 

The scouting was so huge in this game. CU had us pegged to a T and we looked like we had not watched a single minute of film on those guys. One of three things is happening:

1. Miles and his staff are poor at scouting, or

2. Miles and his staff are poor at teaching the scouting report to the players, or

3. The players Miles recruited have such low BB IQs that they can't comprehend the scouting report.

For what it's worth... I saw quite a bit of Creighton's practices this summer and very early in the year - and they didn't "scout us" much. They played fundamental team defense and stuck to their basic principles pretty well. I'm not saying they didn't have some emphasis on different things but they certainly didn't tweak or change much.

SURELY zierden isnt THAT good, is he? Or is he another one of those pasty iowa boys that always find a way to pummel us for career highs? #salty 

He definitely is not that good.  But for two straight years he has lit up Tai, because Tai is more interested in helping out after somebody blows by BP than in sticking with the other team's best shooter.

Shields is pressing waaaaay too much. He can't touch the ball without thinking about scoring. Hammers his drives too far without knowing if he's going to be passing or getting a shot. Great drivers know when they put the ball on the floor whether they'll get position to score or get fouled. Or they know when they put the ball on the floor that help will come and they'll kick to get their teammate the most open. You can't put the ball on the floor and try to hammer your way in and figure it out on the way. Not against a team defense like we saw tonight.

I love Shavon - one of my favorite Huskers of all time and an outstanding human being. But he's gonna start finding his role within the team concept of the game and quit putting so much pressure on himself and forcing things.

And something else that's bothering me.... When as an athlete do you start having some self-awareness and go, "what the heck am I doing?" Jacob Hammond, who also is just an awesome dude and I completely root for, just frustrates me to no end. I can't imagine what it's like to be Miles.

He doesn't shoot well and that's perfectly fine. But what's the scouting report say? GG is left handed. You know this. If you can hold your ground and not let him get a shoulder past you, you've got just as much length as he does, you'll contest and live to see another day. It's all you have to do to be considered affective.

He's veeerrrryyyy athletic, and freakishly long. When's he gonna make the decision that he has every tool in the tool box - but it doesn't do anything until he gets locked in and gives everything.

Ugh ok I'm done. Sorry I'm very frustrated with this. Same game, different year. I hate Creighton.

By my count, when the backcourt consisted of Tai and Benny, the score was:

Creighton 48, Nebraska 29.

When the backcourt was not Tai and Benny, (including times when Watson or Evelyn was in to make a 3 guard lineup):

Nebraska 38, Creighton 35.

Not promising 100% accuracy on these stats, but the picture is clear.

We need shooters.  You can be athletic as hell but if they can't shoot, really doesn't matter.  Good teams and great teams defend well enough that getting in the lane becomes difficult.  With no big to dump it down to as even an average options allows average to good teams to pack the lane and take away the drive, see the couple games we had vs zone defenses.  We need zone busters and if they are on the team, we need an offense that is run to use them.

The only thing I can add this morning is that Miles' main coaching deficiency in this game was not having someone who could handle the modestly talented Groselle. I shudder to think what Hammons and Haas are going to do to us when we play Purdue. On a brighter note, I'm sure we were not as surprised to lose this interstate game last night as Wisconsin fans were. And I now think it is our turn to start regarding Sunday's game as a "must win" if we expect to play in any postseason tourney. 

No inside presence, poor guard play, no shooters and recurring poor fundamentals + young team on the road - recipe for a pummeling.

Creighton is basically the polar opposite in all those categories.  And, as others have noted, they seem to have a system and all the players understand the system, knowing where they and their teammates are supposed to be.

When an NU guard drives into the paint, the other 4 seem to be glued to a spot - never seems to be much effort or understanding of how to find an open area.

Also, as was pointed out previously, could they not figure out that Groselle is left-handed?  Every time in the post, they positioned themselves to take away his weak hand.  Maybe he can go to the right, but I would think you would at least try to force him that way.

The run at the end of the half was with the lineup of Tai at 1, Shields 2, White 3, McVeigh 4, and whoever at 5. It was by far the most successful lineup of the night. And in the second half was it ever used?

I"m wondering if that lineup is doable. Would it have good enough handles to be a point guard by committee? Because defensively you could switch on everything and be awfully pesky with length.

Our offense/defense eFG% on the road, highlighted

0949ca68c5.png

A team that has only beaten Florida St on the road since the start of the 2014-15 season has about a month to figure out how not to crap themselves in Iowa on Jan 3rd.

I'd be curious as to what our numbers look like on the road under Miles.  Outside of the win at Mich St and Indiana which were huge for our dance run...we have been pretty awful on the road.  Going back and looking at his CSU teams....it seems to be a trend on the road. 

The run at the end of the half was with the lineup of Tai at 1, Shields 2, White 3, McVeigh 4, and whoever at 5. It was by far the most successful lineup of the night. And in the second half was it ever used?

I"m wondering if that lineup is doable. Would it have good enough handles to be a point guard by committee? Because defensively you could switch on everything and be awfully pesky with length.
Not that I'm advocating THAT particular line up - but if you're worried about who's gonna play point guard, let me ease your mind. We walk the ball up and run a set almost everytime down the court. We don't need a point guard. Point guards make decisions in transition - when to push, when to kick, when to attack to create, and get quick hitting action. If we're just gonna run a set, we can have anybody "bring the ball up the court."