Creighton Game

big red22

Thoughts from the board?

#1 - Make Goeffrey beat us... Quit doubling on the post and quit over helping on the post. Bait them into entering the ball in the most and having their bigs beat us. If we don't foul, this is going to really negate a lot of quality looks from 3 they get.

#2 - 3/4 court, very soft, 2-2-1 type press. Make them walk it up and limit their time of possession in the half court. Creighton will beat us if they get in-rhythm looks from 3 in their full court transition. But if we make them walk if up and hesitate - they're now shooting shots because they feel they have to vs feeling they're in rhythm.

#3 - Take good shots on offense and follow our offensive rebounding rules. Put up in rhythm shots that allow your teammates to position themselves to get back or to rebound. Either way, following our rules and slowing down transition is key.

I want to run on them.

Do you guys expect Creighton to play Shavon like they did last year and let White try to beat them, or possibly the other way around? It seemed to work pretty well for them last year.

I hope so. Most everyone around Shields is now a better scorer and he's able to find them.  Also, he's more aggressive so he'll now force the issue even if you're trying to take it away. I'd almost think if they try and take away anyone it's White.

Miami did this and it seemed to work well for them.

Especially when Shields stopped passing.

Hey, Hail Varsity writer @Jacob Padilla, can you tell us what's going on in Nebraska's basketball practice today?  Oh, not there, huh?  Darn.

I don't think twitter works like this Norm.

Oh, I know.  My problem is that I don't own one of those twitter things.  But if I did, that's what I'd tweet out to ol' Jacob.

(BTW, if Jacob reads this, you're a generally level-headed kid and don't delve into the incendiary dialogue, which I appreciate.  But if you've accepted a job as a Husker writer, I think it would be in your best interests not to post publicly visible comments that disparage your employer's bread-and-butter team.  Just sayin'.  You might want to edit some of your BJU posts with that thought in mind.  Just sayin'.)

Good luck on Wednesday folks.  I'm not super confident, but stranger things have happened.

You mean, like, last season, right?

I think you are going to get that one back this year. 

You're insane.  Creighton owns us (and Miles) and Mac is our (and Miles') daddy.  Bluejays roll again by at least 15.

You've done plenty to ingratiate yourself over here, no need to pander to us this week.

Good luck on Wednesday folks.  I'm not super confident, but stranger things have happened.

You're insane.  Creighton owns us (and Miles) and Mac is our (and Miles') daddy.  Bluejays roll again by at least 15.

You've done plenty to ingratiate yourself over here, no need to pander to us this week.

Not pandering, Jays are very flawed. Shields is going to score a lot of points.

Do you guys expect Creighton to play Shavon like they did last year and let White try to beat them, or possibly the other way around? It seemed to work pretty well for them last year.

I hope so. Most everyone around Shields is now a better scorer and he's able to find them.  Also, he's more aggressive so he'll now force the issue even if you're trying to take it away. I'd almost think if they try and take away anyone it's White.

Miami did this and it seemed to work well for them.

Also, it sounds like the general consensus is to lock down Shavon and try to make White beat them.  Problem is, they think White is just a catch and shoot guy...

However, White is not overly athletic nor is he a big threat to take anyone off the dribble. He is very much a catch and shoot player. But the size difference could be problematic if he does try to post up or shooting over defender after coming off a screen. Or you put Huff on him, and whoever is guarding Webster can help off. I'm fine with that guy shooting as many perimeter shots as he wants. Hopefully we see a lot of Ronnie as it will give us a more options defensively.

The only problem with guarding us exactly the same as last year is that we currently have a top 100 3pt shooting team going against a bottom 50 3pt shooting defense.  #ShooterU also applies to the generosity on defense around the arc.

If they think White is not very athletic and cannot take people off the dribble, then they will be in for a rude awakening. We haven't seen him do a whole lot off the dribble but that doesn't mean he is not capable of it. They will be up on him tight around the three point line and he should be able to get some back door cuts and layups if they are so scared of him shooting threes. Plus he is one of the best rebounders on our team and can probably out-jump anyone on Creighton's team. White will have a big game. They are going to try and shut down Shields again and see what the rest of our guys can do. I would say they will have about the same game plan as last year minus Petteway, so they will be able to really key in on Shields and White should benefit from it. It will be critical that Webster has a good game as well. Go Big Red!

I'll believe it when I see it.

It's always a battle; Creighton hasn't been an easy out for us since I can't remember when.

And the injury thing to Huff doesn't make me feel any more comfortable.  Not after that infamous outing in 2005 when half of Creighton's roster was sick or injured.  We had, what?, 11 points at halftime?  Lost by a ton. 

That was a low water mark and the point in time where I started publicly lobbying for Collier to get canned (while still trying to say we don't need to bring it up in every single thread.)

Edited to add:  You knew the stars had aligned for Creighton that day when Josh Dotzler started dropping three-bombs on us in the first half.  Dotzler can't shoot.  WTH?

It's always a battle; Creighton hasn't been an easy out for us since I can't remember when.

And the injury thing to Huff doesn't make me feel any more comfortable.  Not after that infamous outing in 2005 when half of Creighton's roster was sick or injured.  We had, what?, 11 points at halftime?  Lost by a ton. 

That was a low water mark and the point in time where I started publicly lobbying for Collier to get canned (while still trying to say we don't need to bring it up in every single thread.)

Edited to add:  You knew the stars had aligned for Creighton that day when Josh Dotzler started dropping three-bombs on us in the first half.  Dotzler can't shoot.  WTH?

Was that the game that NU's guards couldn't figure out how to cross half-court.... having a vague recollection of it. Saw on the twitterverse that a 38-8 score ensued. Or maybe that was KU on Big Monday. Distant memories. Don't need to be re-played. Just curious. Thanks, Normy. I'll hang up & listen.

Khyri Thomas is an astouding 4-13 (30.8%) from the FT line and 10-15 (66.7%) from 3pt this year

Diiiiiiimes, dude.  You have those backwards.  -_-

I mean, those have to be backwards, don't they?  :blink:

Nope

:P  :huh:  :(  :blink:  :ph34r:  :wacko:  :unsure:

Wow!  Does that mean we'd better off fouling him shooting 3s in order to send him to the FT Line!

Thoughts from the board?

#1 - Make Goeffrey beat us... Quit doubling on the post and quit over helping on the post. Bait them into entering the ball in the most and having their bigs beat us. If we don't foul, this is going to really negate a lot of quality looks from 3 they get.

Groselle doesn't turn the ball over, draws contact, and knows how to finish when you get him the ball. I'm not sure that us allowing them to get the ball into the post seems like a pretty bad idea.

3 > 2

Been the problem past couple years.

60% 2pt shooting = 40% 3pt shooting.

Groselle is shooting at a 68% clip.  The Jays aren't hitting 40%. Groselle has 4 assists on the year so it's not like he's finding 3pt shooters.

I get that it's pretty hard to double on the post and keep those guys from getting open looks but we took a good look at that sort of defense vs. ACU and the results weren't great. I know they have several guys that will burn you from 3, but do you really gameplan to takeaway 3s from anyone but Zierden and Huff/TOBY?

Mo Watson if the focal point of that offense. What do you do on him? Rotate Tai, Benny, and Watson on him to wear him down? Can you pressure him into 5+ turnovers like ASU/Rutgers?

Khyri Thomas is an astouding 4-13 (30.8%) from the FT line and 10-15 (66.7%) from 3pt this year

Nope

Wow!  Does that mean we'd better off fouling him shooting 3s in order to send him to the FT Line!

One of those weird anomalies. He's a better FT shooter and a worse 3pt shooter than his current stats. 

Nope

Well, if he shot 6 uncontested threes, he'd make four of them = 12 points.

If we fouled him shooting those threes, assuming he didn't make the basket, he'd shoot 18 FTs and make five of them = 5 points.

Sounds like a job for Tanner Borchardt.

Was that the game that NU's guards couldn't figure out how to cross half-court.... having a vague recollection of it. Saw on the twitterverse that a 38-8 score ensued. Or maybe that was KU on Big Monday. Distant memories. Don't need to be re-played. Just curious. Thanks, Normy. I'll hang up & listen.

38-8 was two years ago.  Gibbs physically assaulted Terran in an effort to get him to do something stupid and get kicked out of the game, and it almost worked.

Terran also had the most violent dunk in that game I think of his whole NU career.  It was like hammer of Thor style.  Was it over Wragge or someone???  Not quite sure.  Anyway, I digress.

Norm is going back a bit further in the memory bank for his...but the point is, it doesn't matter the circumstance.  Creighton plays like they're the San Antonio Spurs against us no matter what.  Don't expect to see anything different from them this year despite how shabby they may be.  It will be as if we're playing a different blue bird (hawk) style team.  It's just the way it is.

Thoughts from the board?

#2 - 3/4 court, very soft, 2-2-1 type press. Make them walk it up and limit their time of possession in the half court. Creighton will beat us if they get in-rhythm looks from 3 in their full court transition. But if we make them walk if up and hesitate - they're now shooting shots because they feel they have to vs feeling they're in rhythm.

#3 - Take good shots on offense and follow our offensive rebounding rules. Put up in rhythm shots that allow your teammates to position themselves to get back or to rebound. Either way, following our rules and slowing down transition is key.

I want to run on them.
Following our offensive rebounding rules - meaning limiting their transition.