Game Day Essentials: Game #7 vs Miami Hurricanes

hhcmatt

Nebraska Cornhuskers (5-2) vs Miami Hurricanes (5-1)

Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2015
Time: 8:00 pm, CST
TV: ESPNU (DirecTV Ch. 208, Dish Ch. 141, Ch. 235 on Time Warner Cable; Ch. 220 on Cox Cable)
WatchESPN Link
Play-by-play:Adam Amin Color: Craig Robinson

Posted Image

Radio Play-by-play: Kent Pavelka; Color: Matt Davison

Miami Hurricane Info
Posted Image

Head Coach: Jim Larrañaga
Conference: ACC
Roster | Schedule
Nickname: Hurricanes
Mascots: Sebastian the Ibis
Last time out: Lost to Northeastern
Typical Rotation Depth: 9 players
Line: Miami by 6
Shirt not to wear: Green,Orange. Seriously, why do you even own an orange shirt?
Fun Fact: Nebraska hosted Miami two years ago in the ACC-B1G challenge, winning 60-49
Fun Fact: Coach Jim Larrañaga led 12th Seed George Mason to the Final 4 in 2005-06 and the Hurricanes to their second Sweet 16 appearance last year
Fun Fact: The U didn't didn't field a basketball team from 1971-1985 due to financial reasons.

Possible Starters

Nebraska

32 Benny Parker G 5-9 175 Sr.
0 Tai Webster G 6-4 196 Jr.
3 Andrew White III G 6-7 216 Jr.
31 Shavon Shields G/F 6-7 225 Sr.
24 Jake Hammond F 6-10 235 Soph

Hurricanes
13 Angel Rodriguez 5-11 185 Sr
10 Sheldon McClellan 6-5 200 Sr
5 Davon Reed 6-6 210 Jr
33 Ivan Cruz Uceda 6-10 217 Sr
23 Tonye Jekiri 7-0 248 Sr

Player to Watch: Tonye Jekiri

Jekiri is a 7' Senior who led the ACC in rebounding last year and is a double-double waiting to happen, averaging 9.8 pts and 10.3 rebounds to go along with 1.5 blocks per game. Also, he doesn't foul much for a big man so he'll probably be on the court most of the game. Expect the Huskers to pick and choose their time in the paint.

The Skinny

Miami blew through the Puerto Rico tournament last week, taking care of Miss St., Utah, and Butler and went from being unranked to #15 in the country. They responded on Sunday by letting a feisty Northeastern team come in a steal a game, which is not exactly the sort of reality check you want for a good team before you meet.

Jim Larranaga brings one of the most efficient offenses in the nation to Lincoln, averaging 89 points a game despite being one of the slower teams in Div 1. This team shoots well, doesn't turn the ball over, and draw plenty of fouls in addition to killing it on the boards on both ends. Really their only weakness has been giving the opposition open looks at the 3. Look for the Huskers to shoot from downtown quite a bit tonight.

The Huskers will look to push it as much as Miami will allow but we're probably looking at a less than 70 possession game with Miami more than happy to take their time. Thinking back to the last time we beat a rated team here at the PBA in 2014, it was a ruckus crowd that pushed the Badgers a bit and infused confidence into the Cornhuskers. That's the sort of atmosphere needed tonight and it doesn't hurt this game starts at 8.

This team has me starting to believe that Miles has laid the foundation for that elusive tournament win in the next couple of years. However, this is a very young team that is prone to ups and downs. Which direction is the roller coaster going tonight?

Prediction: Miami 70 - Nebraska 65 with a 45% chance of Runzas

Click here to view the article

This team has me starting to believe that Miles has laid the foundation for that elusive tournament win in the next couple of years. However, this is a very young team that is prone to ups and downs. Which direction is the roller coaster going tonight?

This is a team with some young elements but also with some tremendous senior leadership.

Miami might want a bounce-back game, but so does Shavon Shields.  As in, let's not get into foul trouble in the first 5 minutes of the game and have to sit for huge stretches of the first half.

As for the raucous crowd for the Wisconsin game 2 years ago, I would like to point out that the university has apparently officially endorsed our "HUSKER POWER" chant to begin the game.

You will notice that they have been projecting the word "HUSKER" onto the floor facing east followed by the word "POWER" facing west, during opposing team intros.  I don't know what clearer indication there could be that we are welcome to keep that cheer going.

AND WE SHOULD!!!

Nebraska Cornhuskers (5-2) vs Miami Hurricanes (5-1)

Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2015

Time: 8:00 pm, CST

TV: ESPNU (DirecTV Ch. 208, Dish Ch. 141, Ch. 235 on Time Warner Cable; Ch. 220 on Cox Cable)

WatchESPN Link

Play-by-play:Adam Amin Color: Craig Robinson

b44a7fcc87.jpg

Radio Play-by-play: Kent Pavelka; Color: Matt Davison

Miami Hurricane Info

2848.gif

Head Coach: Jim Larrañaga

Conference: ACC

Roster | Schedule

Nickname: Hurricanes

Mascots: Sebastian the Ibis

Last time out: Lost to Northeastern

Typical Rotation Depth: 9 players

Line: Miami by 6

Shirt not to wear: Green,Orange. Seriously, why do you even own an orange shirt?

Fun Fact: Nebraska hosted Miami two years ago in the ACC-B1G challenge, winning 60-49

Fun Fact: Coach Jim Larrañaga led 12th Seed George Mason to the Final 4 in 2005-06 and the Hurricanes to their second Sweet 16 appearance last year

Fun Fact: The U didn't didn't field a basketball team from 1971-1985 due to financial reasons.

Possible Starters

Nebraska

32 Benny Parker G 5-9 175 Sr.

0 Tai Webster G 6-4 196 Jr.

3 Andrew White III G 6-7 216 Jr.

31 Shavon Shields G/F 6-7 225 Sr.

24 Jake Hammond F 6-10 235 Soph

Hurricanes

13 Angel Rodriguez 5-11 185 Sr

10 Sheldon McClellan 6-5 200 Sr

5 Davon Reed 6-6 210 Jr

33 Ivan Cruz Uceda 6-10 217 Sr

23 Tonye Jekiri 7-0 248 Sr

Player to Watch: Tonye Jekiri

Jekiri is a 7' Senior who led the ACC in rebounding last year and is a double-double waiting to happen, averaging 9.8 pts and 10.3 rebounds to go along with 1.5 blocks per game. Also, he doesn't foul much for a big man so he'll probably be on the court most of the game. Expect the Huskers to pick and choose their time in the paint.

The Skinny

Miami blew through the Puerto Rico tournament last week, taking care of Miss St., Utah, and Butler and went from being unranked to #15 in the country. They responded on Sunday by letting a feisty Northeastern team come in a steal a game, which is not exactly the sort of reality check you want for a good team before you meet.

Jim Larranaga brings one of the most efficient offenses in the nation to Lincoln, averaging 89 points a game despite being one of the slower teams in Div 1. This team shoots well, doesn't turn the ball over, and draw plenty of fouls in addition to killing it on the boards on both ends. Really their only weakness has been giving the opposition open looks at the 3. Look for the Huskers to shoot from downtown quite a bit tonight.

The Huskers will look to push it as much as Miami will allow but we're probably looking at a less than 70 possession game with Miami more than happy to take their time. Thinking back to the last time we beat a rated team here at the PBA in 2014, it was a ruckus crowd that pushed the Badgers a bit and infused confidence into the Cornhuskers. That's the sort of atmosphere needed tonight and it doesn't hurt this game starts at 8.

Prediction: Miami 70 - Nebraska 65 with a 45% chance of Runzas

Click here to view the article

Having two senior bigs down low is going to be tough to beat with our roster!  I really hope we are hot from behind the arc today!!!

This is a team with some young elements but also with some tremendous senior leadership.

Miami might want a bounce-back game, but so does Shavon Shields.  As in, let's not get into foul trouble in the first 5 minutes of the game and have to sit for huge stretches of the first half.

As for the raucous crowd for the Wisconsin game 2 years ago, I would like to point out that the university has apparently officially endorsed our "HUSKER POWER" chant to begin the game.

You will notice that they have been projecting the word "HUSKER" onto the floor facing east followed by the word "POWER" facing west, during opposing team intros.  I don't know what clearer indication there could be that we are welcome to keep that cheer going.

AND WE SHOULD!!!

I can't wait to partake in said chant for the first time this month!

The 6'10" Spaniard, Uceda, seems like the typical Euro big man.  He's connected on a blistering 54% of his three-pointers.  But that's where most of his shooting takes place.  He's 13-24 from beyond the arc, but he's only attempted 9 shots inside the arc this season, if that tells you anything.

Tells me we can cover him with Jack without him being overpowered physically. There is nothing wrong with more Jack.

The 6'10" Spaniard, Uceda, seems like the typical Euro big man.  He's connected on a blistering 54% of his three-pointers.  But that's where most of his shooting takes place.  He's 13-24 from beyond the arc, but he's only attempted 9 shots inside the arc this season, if that tells you anything.

Tells me we can cover him with Jack without him being overpowered physically. There is nothing wrong with more Jack.

I was thinking the exact same thing. 

How do we cover Jekiri... with the 6'10 Spaniard stretching the defense.  I predicted 80-73 Skers, but those two on the floor at the same time could really cause match up problems for us.  We really need to hit our 3's tonight!

How do we cover Jekiri... with the 6'10 Spaniard stretching the defense.  I predicted 80-73 Skers, but those two on the floor at the same time could really cause match up problems for us.  We really need to hit our 3's tonight!

We just do it...how you ask? By doing it(in my best Trump voice.)  My biggest concern is him protecting the rim rather than us shutting him down on offense.  We will need to hit quite a few jump shots this evening if we want to pull out the win IMO. 

For those who have just been dying to know, I have just spent 30 minutes looking at an on line debate as to whether the "doodad" over Larranaga's name is a virgulilla or a tilde. The verdict is that it is  .....drum roll please....called a "tilde". And now we are all a bit intellectually richer for the time we spend at HHC.

For those who have just been dying to know, I have just spent 30 minutes looking at an on line debate as to whether the "doodad" over Larranaga's name is a virgulilla or a tilde. The verdict is that it is  .....drum roll please....called a "tilde". And now we are all a bit intellectually richer for the time we spend at HHC.

¡ viva él JЇmmyKҪ ! 

Tim Miles Monday Show Recap

• Students attended practice, got a taste of some salty language
  • Haven't talked since Villanova. Stories about 'Nova,  SE Louisiana, Ark PB, Cincy, Tennessee
  • Discussed in a little too much detail about Tai Webster's flu problems in Brooklyn
  • Miles' dog is named Dumbo because it's big and dumb...went to a restaurant with the same name to prep for Tennessee
  • Bob from Omaha: Could this be a pressing team and what size rotation do you want. Miles thinks press can work in spots but overall you're going to get burned by good/B1G teams. Right now rotation is set. Fuller is the 3rd 3/4. Jacobson might be the 3rd 3 if we need size else he's the 3rd post. Everything else is McVeigh subbing for Shavon, Shavon moving to the wing. Could play Andrew and Shavon at the same time without Tai in there with one of the point guards and McVeigh/Jacobson at the 4.
  • Will in Lincoln: Good luck tomorrow, going to be there, and will be ready to go.
  • Andrew in Plattsmouth: Loves what he's seeing from Watson, what does he have to do to crack the starting rotation? Miles: Tough to remove a senior starter like Benny and while Glynn makes some special plays he doesn't have the efficiency you want to see from a starter. He also needs to get better defensively, especially at the end of the year. Probably the most talented on the team in terms of stealing the ball. 
  • Talked about Isaiah Roby and Jeriah Horne: Roby can play multiple positions, one of the best passers he's recruited in a long time, good shooter. Compared Horne to Adrian Dantley...physical specimen..maybe a little undersized but a powerful player. A great compliment to Isaiah. Going to see what happens with the last scholarship. Sounds like we would sign good HS big man immediately. Otherwise maybe a JUCO player, maybe a guard, maybe a point guard...depends on how the season goes and how many scholarships we've have available.
  • Miles wasn't in FFA, was in 4-H. They didn't own any livestock so he did crafts. Wasn't much of a craft guy..racked up a bunch of pink ribbons. Talked in detail about making a house from popsicle sticks and caramel.
  • Talked about the rule changes through 7 games. Not a fan of them whistling everything
  • Joked about how Hammond needs to work with John Cook because he tried to swat about 8 shots and whiffed on all of them. Also complemented the volleyball team

I don't think it matters who's on the perimeter.  We'd do it the same regardless.

We'll occasionally double the post, and the perimeter defenders know how to help and recover.

We have a boatload of 6'8" guys like McVeigh who can cover the Spaniard.  When we send the double team, there are principles in this defense for how to help and recover on the shooters so as not to leave anyone wide open, and the guy who was throwing the double-team might not go back to his same guy.  Instead, he goes to pick up the next open guy.  (There's probably some terminology here that basketballjones can fill us in on.)

They just have to be really disciplined about executing the defensive assignments and a lot of it depends on how good of a passer Jekiri is out of the post.

You know, according to that diagram, "Power" should have a distinct volume advantage over "Husker".  Especially considering the fact that "Husker" contains the press and visiting fans!

It's an approximation.

Word on the street is that the Husker Power via lasers is going to be nixed. Considering this isn't a library, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Tim Miles Monday Show Recap

• Students attended practice, got a taste of some salty language
  • Haven't talked since Villanova. Stories about 'Nova,  SE Louisiana, Ark PB, Cincy, Tennessee
  • Discussed in a little too much detail about Tai Webster's flu problems in Brooklyn
  • Miles' dog is named Dumbo because it's big and dumb...went to a restaurant with the same name to prep for Tennessee
  • Bob from Omaha: Could this be a pressing team and what size rotation do you want. Miles thinks press can work in spots but overall you're going to get burned by good/B1G teams. Right now rotation is set. Fuller is the 3rd 3/4. Jacobson might be the 3rd 3 if we need size else he's the 3rd post. Everything else is McVeigh subbing for Shavon, Shavon moving to the wing. Could play Andrew and Shavon at the same time without Tai in there with one of the point guards and McVeigh/Jacobson at the 4.
  • Will in Lincoln: Good luck tomorrow, going to be there, and will be ready to go.
  • Andrew in Plattsmouth: Loves what he's seeing from Watson, what does he have to do to crack the starting rotation? Miles: Tough to remove a senior starter like Benny and while Glynn makes some special plays he doesn't have the efficiency you want to see from a starter. He also needs to get better defensively, especially at the end of the year. Probably the most talented on the team in terms of stealing the ball. 
  • Talked about Isaiah Roby and Jeriah Horne: Roby can play multiple positions, one of the best passers he's recruited in a long time, good shooter. Compared Horne to Adrian Dantley...physical specimen..maybe a little undersized but a powerful player. A great compliment to Isaiah. Going to see what happens with the last scholarship. Sounds like we would sign good HS big man immediately. Otherwise maybe a JUCO player, maybe a guard, maybe a point guard...depends on how the season goes and how many scholarships we've have available.
  • Miles wasn't in FFA, was in 4-H. They didn't own any livestock so he did crafts. Wasn't much of a craft guy..racked up a bunch of pink ribbons. Talked in detail about making a house from popsicle sticks and caramel.
  • Talked about the rule changes through 7 games. Not a fan of them whistling everything
  • Joked about how Hammond needs to work with John Cook because he tried to swat about 8 shots and whiffed on all of them. Also complemented the volleyball team
  • Another item about Watson not starting:  He's skinny and these guys have to deal with a lot of ball screens and there's a lot of getting bumped and banged while trying to fight through screens.  Benny is obviously stouter.  Glynn needs to bulk up a bit.  (Not Miles' exact words but that was the gist of it.)  But, yeah, he's a playmaker and Miles expects him to play a lot, maybe even be out there with Benny at the same time.

Trying to imagine that rotation that you've described from Miles' talk, Dimes.  Shields and White at the same time without Tai on the floor would mean a PG, then McVeigh/Jacobson at the 4.  So ...

PG  Parker/Watson

SG  White

SF  Shields

PF  McVeigh/Jacobson

C  Hammond?

You know, according to that diagram, "Power" should have a distinct volume advantage over "Husker".  Especially considering the fact that "Husker" contains the press and visiting fans!

It's an approximation.

Word on the street is that the Husker Power via lasers is going to be nixed. Considering this isn't a library, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

That's a shame. 

It's an approximation.

That's a shame. 

What about the laser hawks that Coach Miles was pushing for?

It's an approximation.

That's a shame. 

It is already happened as they didn't use the lasers last game.  So guessing it's done deal.  I don't care what happens during the opponent's introductions as long as it's not the "3 clap" thing they use for volleyball.