Any hope of a big man next year?

I would say we've made about an even trade, Tarin for Bakari.

I'd suspect that Tarin was probably a better scorer and was more polished/ready for college play. Bakari is probably the better shooter and facilitator.

Better shooter?  Seriously?  From what I've seen so far the outside shot is a decided weakness of Bakari. 

I'd suspect that Tarin was probably a better scorer and was more polished/ready for college play. Bakari is probably the better shooter and facilitator.

Better shooter?  Seriously?  From what I've seen so far the outside shot is a decided weakness of Bakari. 

Not sure where you've gathered that?  Bakari is a good 3 point shooter.  Knocked a couple down this year.  Can't expect him to come in cold after sitting 37 minutes and start drilling them left and right

Not sure where you've gathered that?  Bakari is a good 3 point shooter.  Knocked a couple down this year.  Can't expect him to come in cold after sitting 37 minutes and start drilling them left and right

From watching him.  I have been at all the games in which he has played.  His outside shot looks very suspect.  His 3s have been hideous looking bricks.  Perhaps those personally observed shots were anomalies and he's actually a good outside shooter.  Anyway, I will defer to Norm, who is the Judge of the Jump Shot. 

From watching him.  I have been at all the games in which he has played.  His outside shot looks very suspect.  His 3s have been hideous looking bricks.  Perhaps those personally observed shots were anomalies and he's actually a good outside shooter.  Anyway, I will defer to Norm, who is the Judge of the Jump Shot. 

I think it was the open scrimmage that fans could attend, that's when Bakari was dropping outside shots like a boss.

I very well could be wrong on this.

Rather than observe possible weaknesses in Bakari's game, I would rather point to the strengths of those that have beaten him out for playing time.  Who is ahead of Bakari at this point?  1) Benny (a senior with a non-stop motor that is exhibiting great leadership and terrific on-ball defense; and although his offensive game is far from refined, it seems to have improved).  2) Tai, a junior who has been through the wars and is a terrific defender, and seems to have improved his offensive game; and at 6'4" can defend PG, CG, SF and wing seamlessly.  3) Glynn, a freshman that has all the makings of a future Big Ten all-star.  4) Jack, a classic tweaner (Dekker like) that can create shots from all positions on the court and who's length brings a different perspective to our team.

There has been years (in our not to distant past) that Bakari would be in our rotation.  This year is not one of those years.  He is a prospect that may have benefited from a red shirt year...but that is a topic for another day.  My opinion is that the kid will be an asset to this team as his game is refined.

Miles actually kind of addressed this issue in his radio appearance tonight. They asked him about the recruiting class that he signed and he was wildly enthusiastic about Roby and Horne. But as to whether he wants to use the last remaining scholarship on a center or not, first of all, he didn't seem entirely certain as to how many scholarships were going to be available come spring. But also, whether we need a big man or not is going to depend, he said, on the progress ofJake Hammond and Michael Jacobson. While he didn't come right out and say it, apparently he thinks there's some possibility, based on how they've done so far, that Hammond and Jacobson could be the answer at center. If so, he indicated he might be more interested in finding a guard. And that depends on how well Evelyn pans out.

i would hope so. right now we have 1 spot open, but i'm guessing 1 or 2 players transfer after the season.

At this moment I cannot even think about one of these players leaving; let alone more than one.  It obviously could happen, but not even on my radar at this point. 

i think you have to assume somebody will. nobody thought tarin smith or pitchford were going to leave.

Sorry for the down arrow Tim.  Fumble Finger strikes again!  redface.gif

. But also, whether we need a big man or not is going to depend, he said, on the progress of Jake Hammond and Michael Jacobson.

This sort of sounds like "we don't think we're going to sign a big man and we've moved on to plan B" talk.

I got the impression that he's more confident/optimistic in them than he was going into the season.

Maybe I misread it.  Has someone posted the audio?

. But also, whether we need a big man or not is going to depend, he said, on the progress of Jake Hammond and Michael Jacobson.

This sort of sounds like "we don't think we're going to sign a big man and we've moved on to plan B" talk.

I got the impression that he's more confident/optimistic in them than he was going into the season.

Maybe I misread it.  Has someone posted the audio?

I'm sure he sounded confident regardless.  I re-listened. Basically if there was a good big guy available we sign him. Otherwise we see where we are and either maybe go JUCO big or guard.

I have a tendency to agree with HB about this.

Bakari was making shots in the scrimmage but hasn't done quite as well since then.  But whether the ball goes in or not, his technique is not good.  He gets very little elevation on his jump but it is a quick release, so I kind of suggested at one point somewhere around here that maybe Bakari can still get off the shot even though he doesn't get much elevation and has a low release point.  But there's still the issue of his accuracy, which hasn't been nearly as good since the scrimmage.

The sample size has been so small, though, so I don't know if Scrimmage is the real Bakari or if Regular Season So Far is the real Bakari.  Because while he shot great at the scrimmage, he's only 1-6 when it counts.

But as to whether he wants to use the last remaining scholarship on a center or not, first of all, he didn't seem entirely certain as to how many scholarships were going to be available come spring.

Sounds like he expects an early departure or two...

It's more along the lines of someone always leaves and it's a surprise when it doesn't happen.

But as to whether he wants to use the last remaining scholarship on a center or not, first of all, he didn't seem entirely certain as to how many scholarships were going to be available come spring.

Sounds like he expects an early departure or two...

It's more along the lines of someone always leaves and it's a surprise when it doesn't happen.

Same difference.  It isn't surprising that it happens, but it is a bit surprising that he would mention it now.

Here is my take from listening to the Miles comments once:

1. There is not a single tone of angst or discomfort;

2. He limits the number of early commitments to see how things turn out with players we already have; and

3. He is optimistic that our current bigs will meet our needs, which would open opportunities for a different recruiting priority.

"It's all good," is the message I heard. Also, those who bemoan our "bigs" recruiting history are likely to be moaning about the same issue for the foreseeable future.

Anton Gill is definitely going to be that scoring guard we're all hoping for in 2016. He's really, really good.

Word is he's the best guy on the floor at practice.

That's what I've heard as well. His problem at Louisville was that he was the 10th best guy on the floor. Wonder what that's like...

Ask Akoy Agau.