01/02/2013 - At Ohio State Report Card

hhcdave

OFFENSE: F

Despite the large talent difference, I have to give NU an "F" offensively because scoring 44 points (only 17 in the first half) isn't going to give the Huskers a chance to win.

Nebraska got to the free throw line just 8 times (three of them on three missed foul shots off of a three by Dylan Talley) and the Big Red converted on just 30% from the field (28% from downtown).

Ohio State deserves a ton of credit for Nebraska's offensive struggles but NU also missed some open jump shots, too. And it is painful to know that the following teams have all scored more points at OSU this year than Nebraska (Albany; UMKC; Long Beach State; Savannah State; UNC-Asheville; Winthrop).

Rey Gallegos is our Player of the Game, despite shooting 4-18 from the field. That's the kind of night it was for NU.

DEFENSE: B

I thought Nebraska was pretty good defensively - the 2-3 zone actually gave OSU some trouble, especially in the first half.

When the Huskers were able to make it a 5 on 5 halfcourt game, they were fairly efficient defensively. And, holding OSU to 70 points at home is a good effort.

REBOUNDING: D+

Nebraska was out boarded 43-32 (including 10 offensive rebounds) and the most memorable possession of the game was the one that caused a fiery Tim Miles to use a first half timeout.

After a missed free throw and failed block out, OSU then got the ball. Missed another shot, got the ball, and then nailed a corner three. NU showed a clear lack of aggression on the second board, and David Rivers seemed to have the wrath of Coach Miles.

Don't you just wish we had players who had the energy and hustle of Aaron Craft? The guy is so freaking wound up, its amazing. In 29 minutes, he looked like the Energizer Bunny. And I'm not even talking results wise - just his sheer effort is unmatched by any opposing player I've seen this year.

BALL HANDLING: C

I thought Nebraska was pretty good with the ball tonight and didn't create too many unforced errors. 14 turnovers on the road with only one true point guard on the road is good, especially in that PG's first B!G game (and first B!G road game).

Speaking of our point guard, he's either going to have to get ten fold better at shooting the basketball or he's going to be no more than an 8th or 9th man in the future. I think he has a lot of talent and potential, but we can't have teams with a free safety on defense, essentially patrolling the court like a FS in football.

COACHING: B

Nebraska looked really good defensively and I liked the mixing up of looks.

Offensively, they just don't have the stallions and losing Peltz and Almeida doesn't help.

However, you just have to be able to find a way to score 50 points on a regular basis, and I have a feeling this team will fail to do that in the B!G.

Good job of getting guys in and out tonight - I liked the first half timeout and the challenge Coach Miles gave his players to box out and play harder.

It was garbage time and EXTREMELY SMALL SAMPLE SIZE, but the way Sergej Vucetic looked offensively, you have to wonder where in the hell he's been this year, especially with all of the blowouts and lack of depth on the frontline. Then again, I think there's way more to the story than we know, so I won't be too harsh on that, but rather, look at Surjeg as the most positive thing from tonight.

OVERALL GRADE: C-

Nebraska played slightly below average tonight and came close to covering the spread - that tells me they had a pretty good night.

There wasn't a line on Nicholls State, but had their been one, it would have been NU -19 or -20. That's why I was so harsh on them last game but not tonight, since I'm sure it'll be asked.

Hope to see a better effort (and result) Sunday, when Scott Cunningham will have your report card.

PLAYER OF THE GAME: RAY GALLEGOS

2012-2013 PLAYER OF THE GAME RESULTS:

RAY GALLEGOS - 6

DYLAN TALLEY - 3

BRANDON UBEL - 3

DAVID RIVERS - 1

SHAVON SHIELDS - 1

This post has been promoted to an article

Seemed like Dylan & Ray were pressing all night, which led to a lot of forced shots. We need some other guys to knock down open looks or this game will happen time and again.

I know he probably feels the scoring falls on him which is why he does it, but I have notice Dylan forces a lot of shots, last night was not a new thing.

First game I have had the privilege to see. It would seem that this team we played last night would be one of the better teams we will face all year. Here is what I observed. Only one major problem...lack of shooting by the open man. Sure we could have played perfectly and made a run of it but I highly doubt it. So why not take the opportunity to score or at least take the open shot against good teams? I imagine the game could be won against a better team if we somehow found the shot. Dave you aren't hard on these guys. They need to pull their head out. The freshman center is a good player. Play him. Nebrasketball needs two good outside shooters going forward. 

Aaron Craft is a difference maker even without scoring. I think Peltz could play that role with the Huskers but I don't think he would get the same leeway with the officials. I appreciate Craft's game and if he played for a team I didn't despise he'd be a player I enjoy watching, but please tell me how he is only called for 1 foul in 29 minutes of raking grabbing and slapping at the ball? Don't get me wrong. I thought the officiating last night was very good, especially the lack of ticky tack fouls, but if Craft can play that way without getting a couple of fouls called then the Huskers need to be playing a lot more aggressively on defense.

Looking back on the box score it's somewhat impressive that they only attempted 3 more shots than we did.  

I don't recall if we had a flurry at the end to make up the difference.

Rivers had 7 points on 3-4 shooting and Shields had 4 points to go along with 9 rebounds.

We know that Gallegos can get the 3 ball and will be hot or cold.  

Dylan is a more dynamic version of this.  

Ubel is good for points when he has the ball inside but that outside shot still isn't there.

It's Rivers and Shields that need to step up offensively for this team and they've shown glimpses of it in the past.

It's no secret Dylan & Ray have to carry the scoring load, but we don't need them jackin' up bad shots, or just shooting to shoot (like Ray was). Benny needs to shoot to keep them honest, and Brandon needs to trust his shot more than he does. It was nice to see Serg looks like he's actually played Basketball before. 

Craft reminds me of some old school guards from the Big 8.  (Yes Big 8, not the Big XII).  If the player was on your team, you loved him, if he was on the opposition, you HATED him...There are a lot of names out there, sooo many names, so little time.

The first one I thought of was Steve Henson, but Henson was annoying offensively too. King of the floor burn.