uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 8, vol 2 - Villanova

uneblinstu

Don't say you're suprised by this result, disappointed, sure, but not suprised. Nova's an excellent, experienced team.

- The starting guards had terrible games. Watson is the best point guard on this team right now, how long until he moves into the starting lineup? I'd do it on Thursday. He's got some work to do defensively, but all around he's the best of the three. 

- Tai may be a good defender, but he can't shoot, and he turned the ball over a ton tonight. I'm not sure I'd have him in my top 8 right now.

- Benny had a bad game as well.

- This was a great education for the new kids. I loved how they responded early, but they have to learn how to keep that attention and energy throughout.

- White, I think he's the real deal.

- Shavon didn't play poorly, just not enough around him.

- We're not going to see them have any success until they figure out how to take care of the ball and create some turnovers. 

- Villanova had 33 points off turnovers. One of the biggest factors in the game.

- We got a glimpse early of how much hitting some outside shots opens things up. That will have to be a big factor for this team if they're going to have any success this year.

- This team also needs to figure out how to get to the free throw line. If they're going to play as small as they are, that's going to be paramount.

- I thought we'd see McVeigh earlier. I was a little suprised he didn't come off the bench earlier.

- Still not seeing where Fuller will fit into this rotation.

- Morrow is going to be an absolute stud. Thought for the most part he held his own tonight, even made some plays. Too bad he's going to be stuck at the 5 most of the year. If he could slide over to the 4, he'd be a nightmare.

- Loved that they kept playing hard throughout. This will probably be one of the best teams they'll play all year. There's a ton they can take away from this one. I'm not that discouraged, other than the turnovers, with how this went, saw a lot of things that they can build off of. 

- I think this team is going to be very difficult to play down the stretch. Got some learning to do, but there are a lot of pieces that can play at this level, lots to be excited for.

This post has been promoted to an article

- Three of our five starters laid eggs tonight. 

- Freshmen did well.

- White played well.

- Shavon played well.

- Defense did well first fifteen minutes and then imploded.

- Need to become more consistent on the offensive end.

- Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.  Sheesh.

- We thought we would struggle with interior defense and rebounding.  Those warts were exposed.

- Freshmen did well.

- White played well.

- Shavon played well.

- We thought we would struggle with interior defense and rebounding.  Those warts were exposed.

We actually had more boards and offensive boards tonight.

Having Benny and Tai on the floor at the same time will do us far more harm this year than good. They are both exactly who they were last year.

They haven't improved and we won't either with them on the floor at the same time.

At the very least Benny's shot looked decent. Tai...he's more likely to hit the backboard than the rim at this point. He goes full Chuck Knoblach out there as in pre game he looks decent shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Villanova was superior at every position.  They could get a shot at any time from any position.  NU still lacks the player to beat someone off the dribble.  NU was forced to shoot jump shots while Villanova got to the rim and hit perimeter shots.  

Effort was pretty good but execution was poor.  Time to move on and hope players develop.  Tougher teams are ahead than the Wildcats.

- Freshmen did well.

- White played well.

- Shavon played well.

I hadn't looked at the stats...that surprises me.

- Freshmen did well.

- White played well.

- Shavon played well.

I hadn't looked at the stats...that surprises me.

Me too.

Seventeen offensive boards.  

I saw only the last 8 minutes or so. During that time:

Watson was impressive--can create his shot at any time, and he shot a high % toward the end

McVeigh was impressive

White was impressive--actually, very impressive as a scorer

Don't like seeing travels by Tai when he starts a dash for the basket before starting to dribble--if, over the years, he made those drives, instead of turning it over, we'd have won a few more games

Shavon frequently took the ball inside but rarely tried to finish--what's with that?

Didn't get to see much of Morrow--foul trouble

Looked like their defense packed it in, and we turned it over a lot

Villanova had far too much skill and was far too polished for us. It wasn't all bad though.

The freshmen passed the eyeball test. They aren't great defensively, but that will come. I'll live with the growing pains. Morrow will get there. Watson needs to let the game come to him a little bit instead of going a million miles an hour, although I appreciate the aggression. He's gonna be very good. McVeigh needs to get stronger but he can shoot. He also seems to have a good basketball IQ.

White and Shields are rock solid. I think Hammond will get better once he adds more strength. Tai just eats up minutes. It's like he's a starting pitcher with a ERA in the 5.00s who logs 180 innings. Lots of minutes, but not much production. Benny is much better as a spark plug off the bench. Fuller... shoot! Don't put it on the floor and certainly don't step out of bounds!

"Don't say you're suprised by this result, disappointed, sure, but not suprised. Nova's an excellent, experienced team."

This about sums it up for me as well. This team showed us a glimpse of what it could be early, and a glimpse of what it was last year. That being said I think this team will continue to grow everytime out. Looking forward to what this group will look like come B1G play.

We're not going win many games when Benny and Tai combine for more turnovers than the entire opposing team.  Quite honestly though I am not too concerned.  This is one of the best teams we will play all year, not to mention we played on their own court.  The big ten season will be a challenge as always, but I think we'll learn a lot from this game and it will make us better in the long run.  

I was pretty meh about the result.  I wasn't expecting a win.  I just wanted to see us compete.

So, I was a bit disappointed in Tai and Benny.  I expected more from them, especially Benny.  I mean, we knew they weren't great shooters, but they should do better than that.  Plus, they should be far better with ball security.  Instead, they combined for 10 turnovers.

But this is just one game.  And one game in a very hostile environment against a top shelf team very early in the season.

I think our kids will learn from this and be the better for it.  By no means am I ready to write any one player off, nor am I writing the team or the season off. 

This game won't hurt as at all.

"Don't say you're suprised by this result, disappointed, sure, but not suprised. Nova's an excellent, experienced team."

This about sums it up for me as well. This team showed us a glimpse of what it could be early, and a glimpse of what it was last year. That being said I think this team will continue to grow everytime out. Looking forward to what this group will look like come B1G play.

Yeah, except for the lack of a semicolon after the word "result."

By the way, for all the folks who were tempted to write Shavon off as a bad shooter from deep ...

He's 37.5% on the year and was 40% in this game. 

OK?  Good with that?  I am.

He definitely looks like he's back in form. He's looking like sophomore year Shavon from the 3 again.

Villanova was superior at every position.  They could get a shot at any time from any position.  NU still lacks the player to beat someone off the dribble.  NU was forced to shoot jump shots while Villanova got to the rim and hit perimeter shots.  

Effort was pretty good but execution was poor.  Time to move on and hope players develop.  Tougher teams are ahead than the Wildcats.

There's not many teams better than Villanova, especially when you are playing them in the 2nd game of the year with loads of freshmen.

This team failed on the defensive end.  Villanova got shots way too easy.  As I said before, we have to play defense, take care of the ball, and shoot the ball.  

Watson is going to get shots, but I don't think 15 shots for him is going to win us games.  He needs to be more of a distributor.

It was nice to see Benny hit that first shot, but after that it was downhill.  He is liability on the defensive end.  Whatever that good player's name is, could rise right above Benny.  If you want my true opinion, Watson needs to start over Benny, not Webster.

Webster did not play well, at all.  I thought he played really good defense, until we got up by 7.  After that, he was awful all around.  He needs to drive to the basket, either look for an open shooter, or take it to the rim.  Then, he needs to pay lock down defense.

White is the shooter we need.  I think he will be more efficient than Terran was.  He doesn't seem to take that crazy shot.  I think he will open some lanes for Shields and Webster.

Shields hit a couple 3's.  That's a good sign.  Couldn't get to the rim like he usually does.

Hammond needs to be locked in a weight room during practice.  Nova's big guy just pushed him wherever he wanted him to go.

Marrow is an animal down low, but also needs to get some upper body weight.

McVeigh also will be a good shooter, but a liability on the defensive end.

This team needs to get back to work, and put this beating behind them.

Watson was impressive--can create his shot at any time, and he shot a high % toward the end

McVeigh was impressive

Don't like seeing travels by Tai when he starts a dash for the basket before starting to dribble--if, over the years, he made those drives, instead of turning it over, we'd have won a few more games

Shavon frequently took the ball inside but rarely tried to finish--what's with that?

Love Glynn Watson.  But somebody, please, needs to teach him to put a little more air under the ball when he shoots it.  It's simple physics.  The flatter the trajectory, the narrower you make the rim.  The greater the angle of descent, the larger the effective area of that circle becomes.  And we need him to be a scorer.  NEED it.

McVeigh was impressive

You should have only watched the first 8 minutes ;)

Yeah, except for the lack of a semicolon after the word "result."

I've always sucked with semicolon usage; never been good with the colon, either.

--In short--

The Good:

-'Nova MIGHT be the best team we see all year.

-It was still a ballgame at the 2:00 mark in the 1st Half.

The Bad:

-Turnovers

-Offense in general.

-Leadership. This is Shavon's team. I know that he's kind of reached "can-do-no-wrong" status, but he really needs to take charge in being a vocal leader on this team. Every good team has one.