Tanner Borchardt

AuroranHusker

Glass half full: We found a diamond in the rough who could help us overcome our main shortcoming, inside play.

Glass half empty: Our roster is such that we're going to give minutes to a kid who was playing rec games on campus a month ago.

Glass just half.  But the half is beer.  Or red koolaid if you prefer:

Roster was pretty good.  Very solid players at every spot.  Depth.  Athleticism.  Abundant skill.  If you could say there was a weakness at all, it would be that we didn't have a lot of size in the low post, but you go to war with the Army you have, not he Army you wish you had.

And, then, all of a sudden, out of the clear blue sky, a 6-9, 270# guy just happens to fall in our laps.  After the feeling came back in our toes, we stood up and realized, hey, this kid has some skill.  Dayum.  Maybe if he gets into basketball shape, he might even be worth some minutes.

Whoda thunk it?  Wasn't lookin' for it but I sure as hell ain't gonna turn it down.

Chuck Norris' beard has only one fear: Tanner Borchardt. 

Also, I'm pretty sure Tanner was playing 1-on-5 in those Rec games and still winning them.  Most impressive stat line?  He had 12 assists.

LET THE LEGEND OF BORCHARDT BEGIN!

All aboard the Borchardt hype train!  WOO WOO!!!

I don't get this whole "hype" thing, like we're all sitting around building this kid up into something he's not.

Nobody -- I repeat NOBODY -- has declared him an All-American. 

But he certainly is intriguing, is he not?

I mean, he happens to fall into the one area that might be considered an area of need.  And then he played pretty well in the few minutes he got in the exhibition.  And then Coach Miles has since made comments about how he might actually play this year because he's shown some moxie and ability.

I haven't seen anyone go overboard and declare him a starter.  If anyone's going overboard in a reaction to this its anyone who's trying to throw a turd into the punchbowl of people who see this as an intriguing development.

It's funny to me, this Borchardt kid. 

Seems like every year we'll have some posters on this board wondering and speculating if there might not be a football player who could come over after football season and add depth in the post.  Some big lineman who used to play basketball.  Hell, I think earlier this year people were asking about Zach Sterup.  And posters were genuinely wondering if he might not be able to provide some depth.

http://huskerhoopscentral.com/topic/7447-football-help/?hl=sterup

Lo and behold, here comes Tanner Borchardt.  And Borchardt was a football player.  He just wasn't a football player for Nebraska.  But there you go, there's your football player who can add some depth to the post, maybe.

Can someone help me come up with a list of big men walk-ons we've had over the years?

A few years back, there was Ben Nelson.  There was another kid in that same timeframe who wasn't around long.  There was also a transfer walk-on who was injured when he arrived and then was gone just as quick.

Before that, we had Tony Wilbrand and, if you want to count him as a big man, you could add Bronson Schliep.

Any others?  Going back to the turn of the century, perhaps?

I don't get this whole "hype" thing, like we're all sitting around building this kid up into something he's not.

national_treasure_tropic_thunder.gif

Whatever.

I think it's a cool story and good for the kid.

And if people want to enjoy it, put a positive spin on it, have a little fun with it, there's no skin off my back letting people enjoy watching this story unfold.  It's an unusual story.

And if he never pans out and doesn't play any more minutes this year than Sergej Vucetic did when he was a freshman, there's still no harm done letting folks enjoy watching this "Cinderella story" begin to unfold.

So, why harsh people's mellow about it?  I don't get that.

I am not 100% positive, but I was thinking that Neil Nannen was a "big" walk on in the early 60's.  I believe he was from Syracuse NE or something like that.  Al Reiners was a "big" from Hastings NE, and I believe he may have walked on as well.  Another may have been Dale VonSeggern from Orchard NE.  These three were all from the 60's. 

I thought i read in the Lee B. article that he got some interest for hoops from some mid-major type schools. Seems like there may be some talent there.

He had some attention, but he told them no because he thought he'd play football. Folks stopped recruiting him, so the story goes.

I think he has alot of the abilities you want from a kid his size. Nice soft hands and seems to have some basketball IQ there. His size is really something that will help him. If he can get a few RB and eat up a few fouls inside to keep the other guys available I like him.

national_treasure_tropic_thunder.gif

Whatever.

I think it's a cool story and good for the kid.

And if people want to enjoy it, put a positive spin on it, have a little fun with it, there's no skin off my back letting people enjoy watching this story unfold.  It's an unusual story.

And if he never pans out and doesn't play any more minutes this year than Sergej Vucetic did when he was a freshman, there's still no harm done letting folks enjoy watching this "Cinderella story" begin to unfold.

So, why harsh people's mellow about it?  I don't get that.

I hope Tanner is the sort of body we were looking for in Max Bielfeldt and can contribute a few valuable minutes. I also listened to 3 different reporters ask Shavon about Tanner during a 4 minute interview and am overreacting in jest much like many people in this thread. If you're reading it any other way, you're reading it incorrectly.