uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 8, Preamble

uneblinstu

Gotta think Bakari Evelyn redshirts. That's about all I'm seeing as far as scholarship people. Hammond could use a redshirt ... as could Jacobson and McVeigh, but I don't think that's happening. Morrow looks like a solid athlete ... with a few more inches he would be a real, real solid catch (still is). I think Watson will settle in.

Not sure if I feel better after the exhibition due to the quality of opponent, but we will be much more enjoyable to watch this year ... win OR lose.

Gotta think Bakari Evelyn redshirts. That's about all I'm seeing as far as scholarship people. Hammond could use a redshirt ... as could Jacobson and McVeigh, but I don't think that's happening. Morrow looks like a solid athlete ... with a few more inches he would be a real, real solid catch (still is). I think Watson will settle in.

Not sure if I feel better after the exhibition due to the quality of opponent, but we will be much more enjoyable to watch this year ... win OR lose.

I suppose Trueblood could be a redshirt candidate. McVeigh? I'm real curious about who these redshirt candidates would be as until I heard Miles say it I assumed it would be no one.

In his post game, Coach Miles indicated that he was going to have "conversations" over the next couple of days regarding redshirt possibilities.  Generally we will establish an eight man rotation...then he said all three bigs will have to play.  He even said the Gothenburg kid may get minutes so what is the 8 + man rotation going to look like???

1) Benny

2) Shavon

3) Tai

4) Andrew

5) Ed

6) Watson

7) Who are number 7 and 8???

Was this with Kent and Matt?

Postgame notes from Huskers.com

Nebraska Head Coach Tim Miles

On how he thought the freshmen played

“I thought Glynn (Watson Jr.) was really tight. I explained to Glynn how to relax his entire body during one of the timeouts. I don’t know if he was buying it but I thought we needed to deflate the air out of him. Even though he hit a bucket, he just never really settled in, but he will. You can see flashes of him of what we see in him.

It really seemed like Morrow was pressing instead of letting the game come to him tonight. That's part of having freshmen though...all of these guys are going to have nights where they struggle.  Hopefully it's never the same night :)

Truth be told, the Monday Night Football game was far more important to me tonight that this game, but I liked what I saw.  One thing that stood out to me was how fluid Morrow is at pick and roll defense.  Very nice to have a guy that can show like that and be plenty quick to get back to his man.  I will watch it back when I get time.  I think we can be pretty good on defense actually.  If we learn to double well, there are going to be a lot of quick hands doing the doubles, and fairly athletic long guys to make the passes out of the double team tricky for some lesser skilled passing big men.  The trick will be to rebound when guys are scrambling. 

The redshirt possibilities that seem more likely are Bakari Evelyn, Johnny Trueblood, and Michael Jacobson (if he's not fully healthy). I doubt that Jack McVeigh redshirts, unless Jack believes the idea to do so will help him acclimate to the USA. Not likely to be more than 1 or 2 (at most) scholarship players that will be redshirted besides the 2 Div. 1 transfers (Malcolm Laws from FAU and Anton Gill from Louisville).

In his post game, Coach Miles indicated that he was going to have "conversations" over the next couple of days regarding redshirt possibilities.  Generally we will establish an eight man rotation...then he said all three bigs will have to play.  He even said the Gothenburg kid may get minutes so what is the 8 + man rotation going to look like???

1) Benny

2) Shavon

3) Tai

4) Andrew

5) Ed

6) Watson

Yes...post-game on the radio.

1) Benny

2) Shavon

3) Tai

4) Andrew

5) Ed

6) Watson

And he said he would play "all 3 posts" since they foul so much, which gets him to 9.  

Bakari does seem like a redshirt candidate.

However, I thought he looked good running the point at the end of the game. Several times he drove the ball into the lane from the wing, looking to kick the ball out to an open man, but then (in the blink of an eye) he put the ball in the hoop while defenders were looking to stop the kick-out pass: very clever ball handling.

I liked what I saw for the most part.....we have a solid core of young guys that have the potential to be really really good.  Concerns going forward this year IMO....

1. Rebounding- Still too much standing around, the numbers weren't terrible but im afraid once we face more athletic teams it's going to be tough sledding for us.

2. Defense- Not all that concerned about our defense really, we have always played tough solid D under Miles....this is probably due to playing alot of young guys but I thought we gave up quite a bit of open looks.  Thankfully Northern State was "off" to say the least.  Villanova won't be so kind next week

3. 5 man-  Going off one game Hammond still doesn't appear to be "ready" for the spotlight.  No complaints out of me on Morrow...I think he should be the starter, he will learn how to play D without fouling.  He will be a stud

4. 3 point shooting-  They didn't really pull the trigger but nothing out of Tai and Parker on that end.  If we are going to roll with them as the starters, IMO atleast one of them will need to show they can hit jump shots.  White's stroke appears to be as good as advertised...McVeigh I think will help in this department also. 

My thoughts, I enjoyed watching us get up and down. I thi k Hammond looks better, but I think he is still 1 year away in terms of being physically ready to be a bigger contributor. Ed played a good game, and will be a star in time however, this team is going to really struggle against teams with big post presence. Tai, is the X factor for this team. I think Jacobsen and Borchardt will play this year. Glynn can drop some dimes, he is gonna be special. This team will be fun, next year will be great.

Yes, McVeigh will help in 3-pt shooting.  With this being a team that doesn't have that back-to-the-basket post, being able to shoot is going to be important.  For that reason, I don't see McVeigh redshirting.  I think we'll need him to be a shooter for us.

I think odds on it'll be Evelyn.  For one thing, dropping Evelyn to the next class will kind of balance things out not just with numbers but also with positions.  We have 2 forwards committed for next year.  Redshirting Jacobson or McVeigh will mean 3 bigs in that one class.  And Jacobson is probably going to be needed for depth down low this year.

The last reason I think it makes sense to redshirt Evelyn:  Johnny Trueblood.  Whatever depth Evelyn would provide for us this year I think can be filled by a talented walk-on from Elkhorn.

1) Benny

2) Shavon

3) Tai

4) Andrew

5) Ed

6) Watson

And he said he would play "all 3 posts" since they foul so much, which gets him to 9.  

Since everything is everywhere, I tracked down the post game show. You'll want to fast forward to 3:06:00

Miles: "I have a pretty good grip on our 8 man rotation....we're going to have to play all 3 posts the way those guys foul...so that gets us to nine"

Kent: You thinking Bakari?

Miles: "No I'm just going to talk to them...I'm not thinking anything. I'm sure some of these guys are thinking about it...some of them I'm going to recommend yeah and some of them recommend no."

Also, they talked about how to pronounce Borchardt. Basically it sounds like 'bork-hardt'

Other post game notes

Talked about Webster playing well and Morrow playing better than he had in practice.

Saw a lot of room for improvement. Liked the defensive reads from the team.

Jake Muehleisen will be filling in for Davison who will be coming back from Rutgers on Saturday.

Interesting post game from Coach.  He said he is going to have meetings with players about possible redshirts.  Also, said he might have to play all 3 big men due to their fouling.

This is just a hunch, but I wouldn't be surprised if McVeigh and Evelyn Redshirt. Could they contribute this year? Absolutely. But we're at a point now were we can stockpile talent, and imagine a bigger stronger version of those two. We are entering the Renaissance of Nebraska Basketball my friends...

Here are your 3 post players I think

- Hammond

- Morrow

- Jacobson

Here are your other 6 rotation players based on their entry into the game.

- Shields

- White

- Parker

- Webster

- Watson

- McVeigh

Guys not in the 8-9 rotation

- Fuller 

- Evelyn

- Trueblood

- Borchardt

- Laws

Already Redshirting

- Gill

Miles will talk with all the freshmen but at the end of the day if they want to redshirt, he lets them.

No doubt Watson and Morrow will be recommended to play and will.

I suppose McVeigh could consider redshirting, especially if he's talked to Tai about his struggles acclimating to the US and his slender frame but given he was the 8th/9th guy into the game and he can play center in a pinch, Miles is probably recommending he plays this year. The next guy into the game was Fuller, who isn't eligible to redshirt.

That leaves Evelyn, Trueblood, Borchardt, and Laws. From a team perspective, doesn't it make sense to recommend all the non-scholarship guys to redshirt so that they get another year to potentially develop into a rotation player but also gives you the ability to break their redshirt if you need them? Obviously if those guys want to finish college in 4 years they'll choose not to.

That leaves Evelyn who seems like the obvious choice maybe. Bakari is a guy who transferred down to Arizona for his senior year to earn a better offer. In a day and age where you can use your redshirt as a do-over on your college choice, is he going to use his? We should know Thursday or Friday I think.

My observations:

• First, the depth of the team is fantastic.  We killed them with attrition in addition to being more skilled.  I can't remember ever having a lineup with this many actual contributors.  That will be huge in being able to matchup, play aggressive defense, and run like hell when we want to.  
  • Morrow is our best defender and most aware overall player.  The guy is an absolute game-changer whether the stats indicate it or not.  He really reminds me of Rodman.  I don't recall him being scored on in the post either.  Great wingspan.  
  • Tai looked the player he was lauded to be.  He is an excellent athlete, and with his vastly improved physique, he's starting to understand that he's faster than 90% of the players he'll play against.  Great defensive disruption and it looks like he now has the elevation to really finish.  Huge upgrade if this continues.  
  • Wow.  Trueblood and Borchardt look like Doc's scholarship players.  These guys are as good of walk-ons as I can ever remember seeing.  They could definitely be mid-major scholarship players.  
  • Nothing else really surprised me, but that's a good thing, because AWIII, Shields, Benny, McVeigh, and Jacobson all looked like who they were advertised to be.  

The future is bright, certainly, but I really think the now can be, as well.  They're a complete team.  

I agree that Bakari seems like the odds-on choice to redshirt for a variety of reasons, but I don't think re-doing his college choice is necessary.  Nathan Hawkins wasn't quite a B1G caliber player, IMO.  And he probably transferred downward to a more appropriate level for his abilities.  (Granted, that wasn't part of a redshirt year.)  Evelyn doesn't fall into that category as far as I can tell. 

I think Bakari could develop.  I think redshirting him makes sense because of the glut of good players we have right now leaving him in a pinch for minutes.  I think having a class of 5 contributing players graduate all at once would be a hit to the program, so it makes sense to move one of these five down to the next group.  And that next group of players who'll sign tomorrow lacks a guard.

Bakari seems like the obvious choice.

Although McVeigh probably would benefit the most from a redshirt year, I think he could help this year and, therefore, probably sees the floor.

...and yes it was only an exhibition against a DII opponent -- but -- Jack McVeigh had a double-double and Ed Morrow (aka Rodman, Windex, Dyson) almost had a double-double.  These two are FRESHMEN!!! :blink:

Morrow picked up his 5th foul with about 5 minutes to play, give or take.  I thought a couple of the calls against him were mysterious, but who's going to complain about the officiating when you win by 53, amIright?

Anyway, if he hadn't picked up that last foul, he'd have easily had a double-double as well.

Morrow's fifth foul came while setting a screen. He absolutely decked the poor defender from the other team. Have you seen the replay of when Kenny Bell clocked a football defender with a block--and drew a flag for unnecessary roughness? Well . . . Morrow's last foul is a basketball version of that play.

I really liked the fact that the officials were calling moving screens in this game. 

In just about every game since the turn of the century, we've had defenders chasing shooters around screens and the screener will throw a hip into our defender, shooter gets free and gets an open look.  No call.  Then, late in the game, they'd call us for some ticky-tack BS moving screen. 

Last night, it was about right.  Throw a hip into a defender chasing a shooter around a screen and you're going to get called for it.  About damn time.  Hope they keep it up during the season.