Starting PF: Andrew White

hhcmatt

White is going to play the role of a 4 on defense, and he will be the 3 on the offensive end.  Shavon will be the exact reverse.

Starting Line Up Based on that will be

Watson

Benny

White

Shavon

Morrow

Player that will receive meaningful minutes

Tai

McVeigh

Jacobson

Hammond

Player that will see late game foul trouble minutes

Fuller

Evelyn

Swap Tai for Benny and Fuller for Hammond based upon what I have been told.  I get the impression the staff really likes Benny coming off the bench.  Tai would have the tougher guard assignment.  

Not sure where Fuller finds minutes. It's not going to be in place of Hammond. I think it's likely we'll look back at the end of the season and say he probably should have transferred after last season.

That way, we could have had TWO empty spots this season!  :D

But seriously, uneblinstu, I agree.  He's not finding minutes, especially with our improving talent level.  He's a nice kid and a good worker but he's more along the lines of a practice player.  I just don't think it's Miles' style to run guys off.

It's not. But I'm fairly comfortable saying he got an honest appraisal of where he stood in terms of playing time.

Keep this in mind.  Coach Miles hinted earlier that Coach Hunter brought with him the concepts of the Syracuse zone.  There is no way that we would play a whole game in a 1-3-1 type of a zone.  But remember that Danny liked to switch into that very similar 1-3--1 zone on occasion, and it was fun to watch with Cookie Belcher and his length out on top and a thief on the bottom of the zone. 

Play with that concept for a few minutes...hmmm.

Keep this in mind.  Coach Miles hinted earlier that Coach Hunter brought with him the concepts of the Syracuse zone.  There is no way that we would play a whole game in a 1-3-1 type of a zone.  But remember that Danny liked to switch into that very similar 1-3--1 zone on occasion, and it was fun to watch with Cookie Belcher and his length out on top and a thief on the bottom of the zone. 

And Carl Hayes.  Loved watching that guy play zone.  

Not sure of the popularity of this - but Benny needs to come off the bench. Spell Watson at the point, and bring defensive energy off the bench to spell Tia.

I wish I had a statistical proof to make this comment, but you can't have a guy play starter minutes and score that little (especially from outside to stretch the floor). But I think we'd really benefit from a 3-man rotation between those three guys at the 1 & 2. But we've just gotta score the ball and I think Watson is a day-1 starter at point. He makes things happen and he can shoot. What more is there to say?

I, for the second year in a row, really don't envy TM's job this year. This lineup is gonna have to take some time to sort out.

Not sure of the popularity of this - but Benny needs to come off the bench. Spell Watson at the point, and bring defensive energy off the bench to spell Tia.

I wish I had a statistical proof to make this comment, but you can't have a guy play starter minutes and score that little (especially from outside to stretch the floor). But I think we'd really benefit from a 3-man rotation between those three guys at the 1 & 2. But we've just gotta score the ball and I think Watson is a day-1 starter at point. He makes things happen and he can shoot. What more is there to say?

I think it makes a lot of sense.

To me Fuller is the new David Rivers. He is the glue guy that every good team has.

Might not play for a month and then bang is in it up to his neck. I like the little things he does on the court, loose balls, rebound, set picks.

He seems to have a high Basketball IQ just not as physically gifted as we had hoped.

If he could find his 3 point stroke that he seemed to have in high school he would see the floor more.

Ray Gallegos was a threat but I don't think anyone would say Ray Gallegos was good.  And if Tai makes the same or similar incremental improvement between his sophomore and junior years as he did between his freshman and sophomore years, he'll be in Ray Gallegos territory for 3-point accuracy.  Which at least makes him a threat.

You're comparing a guy who specifically was a jump shooter who attempted more 3pt shots in 2013-14 than a slasher like Tai is going to take in his career. Gallegos was a threat in that he was going to take 10+ 3pt shots a game. Tai is a threat in that if you sag enough off him he might shoot when wide open. People gameplanned to take away the 3pt shot from Gallegos. No one is game planning to take away the 3pt shot away from Tai Webster...they're game planning to concede it and have been since the middle of his freshman year.

Now, whether 23.1% is "much better" than 19.5%, I guess if you want to quibble with one word in the context of a much larger point, fine. Delete the word "much" from that sentence if it makes you feel better. But let's examine those numbers in the abstract.

I'm not quibbling about the level of positive improvement of Tai's 3pt percentage over Shields as much as I am completely discounting Tai's crappy 3pt being less worse than Shields' crappier 3pt percentage as any sort of accomplishment. 

Once again, I agree with you that he's going to be a valuable contributor to this team but he's going to need to do so by mainly slashing and distributing on offense as opposed to setting up camp on the 3 pt line.

To me Fuller is the new David Rivers. He is the glue guy that every good team has.

Might not play for a month and then bang is in it up to his neck. I like the little things he does on the court, loose balls, rebound, set picks.

He seems to have a high Basketball IQ just not as physically gifted as we had hoped.

If he could find his 3 point stroke that he seemed to have in high school he would see the floor more.

I'm content that Nick Fuller is a Husker. A team is made up of all types of personalities and roles.  Not every player on the roster is going to be the 'go-to' guy on the squad. Fuller appears to enjoy being a part of the team in Lincoln, NE, and he's a great role player & practice performer from all accounts. Nothing wrong with that. 

I'm content that Nick Fuller is a Husker. A team is made up of all types of personalities and roles.  Not every player on the roster is going to be the 'go-to' guy on the squad. Fuller appears to enjoy being a part of the team in Lincoln, NE, and he's a great role player & practice performer from all accounts. Nothing wrong with that. 

On one hand, Miles had "the talk" with Benny and BP responded by contributing to our run to the NCAA tournament and becoming a valuable member of the rotation. On the other hand, if Fuller isn't going to play meaningful minutes ever we've locked up a schollie we could use on a JUCO big, another transfer, or something like that. Us playing zone this year will definitely help him to get on the floor and hide his slowness. Him actually shooting when he's out there certainly would help as well....after two years I can only speculate how good a guy with 8 3pt attempts is.

On one hand, Miles had "the talk" with Benny and BP responded by contributing to our run to the NCAA tournament and becoming a valuable member of the rotation. On the other hand, if Fuller isn't going to play meaningful minutes ever we've locked up a schollie we could use on a JUCO big, another transfer, or something like that. Us playing zone this year will definitely help him to get on the floor and hide his slowness. Him actually shooting when he's out there certainly would help as well....after two years I can only speculate how good a guy with 8 3pt attempts is.

There's still an open schollie. Why does Nick have to 'open' up his?  He's a valuable member of the team, and he's clearly getting better as Nick was Lifter of the Year on the squad not long ago. It's too bad that he hasn't found a more defined role in which he could have contributed in a more meaningful way, but that's up to the coaches to put him in a position to contribute with his deficiency and all. Maybe NU should use that LAST schollie before we go with the notion that Nick's should be 'open' for some unknown *2nd* player. Just a thought...

And Carl Hayes.  Loved watching that guy play zone.

[/quote

Carl at the point at 6'8". Reid in the middle at 6'8". Farmer and King on the wings at 6'9" and 7'2". Scales at 6'2" running the baseline. (I might have Reid and Farmer switched position wise.) That 1-3-1 gave a lot of teams trouble with that size.

There's still an open schollie. Why does Nick have to 'open' up his?  He's a valuable member of the team, and he's clearly getting better as Nick was Lifter of the Year on the squad not long ago. It's too bad that he hasn't found a more defined role in which he could have contributed in a more meaningful way, but that's up to the coaches to put him in a position to contribute with his deficiency and all. Maybe NU should use that LAST schollie before we go with the notion that Nick's should be 'open' for some unknown *2nd* player. Just a thought...

When I played I always thought it took greater quickness and effort to play a quality zone defense than man-to-man.  Perhaps it was the style we played...but that was my observation.

Dimes, you and I are not on the same page as far as what a threat is. In your way of looking at it, apparently, a threat is someone you intend to utilize in your offense for that specific skill. To me, a threat is simply something where the guy is good enough at it that you can't ignore him and you have to guard him. If Ty can get up near 30% from three, he will be a threat that the opposing team will have to guard. It takes me back to your earlier post where you were talking about any configuration where Tai is a threat from three would be a bad thing for us. I don't think he has to be a good shooter from distance in order for opposing teams to have to account for him on the perimeter. He only needs to be a threat. Benny has not been a threat. Tai can be.

The Fuller talk should go away until he actually does something. As of now, you can point to what? He hasn't even been half the contributor that Tai has. After watching, I would venture to say he gets less minutes than Hammond. He doesn't have a position he can defend and his offense hasn't or isn't good enough to overcome his defensive inefficiency, that being said I don't run him off. I only hope as time goes by he improves so that he can eventually be a contributor.

I'm content that Nick Fuller is a Husker. A team is made up of all types of personalities and roles. Not every player on the roster is going to be the 'go-to' guy on the squad. Fuller appears to enjoy being a part of the team in Lincoln, NE, and he's a great role player & practice performer from all accounts. Nothing wrong with that.

There's still an open schollie. Why does Nick have to 'open' up his? He's a valuable member of the team, and he's clearly getting better as Nick was Lifter of the Year on the squad not long ago. It's too bad that he hasn't found a more defined role in which he could have contributed in a more meaningful way, but that's up to the coaches to put him in a position to contribute with his deficiency and all. Maybe NU should use that LAST schollie before we go with the notion that Nick's should be 'open' for some unknown *2nd* player. Just a thought...

I'm somewhere in the middle of you two on Fuller. I'm highly disappointed he hasn't brought us ANYTHING from a dead-eye 3pt shooter perspective, which is all he was brought in to do.

But I also agree with Aurora in the fact that not everyone has to be a superstar, kinda nice to see a guy just stick around and be a role player and work hard.

But the dude has to hit more 3's. Straight up, point blank, he has to. And Miles needs to put line ups on the floor that allows him to do that... Not bashing him in at the 4 with a ton of defensive responsibilities that draw away from his strengths.

Dimes, you and I are not on the same page as far as what a threat is. In your way of looking at it, apparently, a threat is someone you intend to utilize in your offense for that specific skill. To me, a threat is simply something where the guy is good enough at it that you can't ignore him and you have to guard him. If Ty can get up near 30% from three, he will be a threat that the opposing team will have to guard. It takes me back to your earlier post where you were talking about any configuration where Tai is a threat from three would be a bad thing for us. I don't think he has to be a good shooter from distance in order for opposing teams to have to account for him on the perimeter. He only needs to be a threat. Benny has not been a threat. Tai can be.

It very well might be semantics but we might also disagree on what Tai should be doing on offense. To me a three point threat is a guy who is going to take a lot of 3pt shots or a guy who makes a high percentage at a lower rate. For instance, Brandon Ubel throwing up 20-25 shots a year at a 25% rate isn't a threat. David Rivers hitting 100% of his 3pt attempts last year (1) also doesn't make him a threat.

Let's look at Tai's shot selection over the last 2 years

His freshman year he took 77 2pt shots and 35 3pt shots and got to the FT line 84 times.

His sophomore year he took 57 2pt shots and 52 3pt shots and got to the FT line 38 times.

I have no distance data on the 2pt shots. 

I think he will be successful with a 70% 2pt / 30% 3pt shot spread where he's drawing contact.

I think he will lose minutes and maybe get benched if he has a spread like his sophomore year.

I want him to take near the ratio of shots he took his freshmen year. This makes him a threat to drive to the basket.

Also Benny,  in very limited action, brought his 3pt % up near 30% (29.3%) last year. How is he not a 3pt threat by your definition when he's accomplished what you want Tai to do? To me they're both guys you have to worry about stopping the drive first.

You might want to re-read that again. I wasn't advocating for Fuller to be released from scholarship. I'm stating he's at the same crossroads that Benny was as a sophomore and I was pointing out what we're losing out on if he's not able to get on the floor and contribute over the next 3 years. I get that we have an open scholarship but we also don't oversign guys either. 

When Benny got his chance to play, he made the most of it. Is Fuller going to do the same thing? No idea.

I'm content that Nick Fuller is a Husker. A team is made up of all types of personalities and roles. Not every player on the roster is going to be the 'go-to' guy on the squad. Fuller appears to enjoy being a part of the team in Lincoln, NE, and he's a great role player & practice performer from all accounts. Nothing wrong with that.

There's still an open schollie. Why does Nick have to 'open' up his? He's a valuable member of the team, and he's clearly getting better as Nick was Lifter of the Year on the squad not long ago. It's too bad that he hasn't found a more defined role in which he could have contributed in a more meaningful way, but that's up to the coaches to put him in a position to contribute with his deficiency and all. Maybe NU should use that LAST schollie before we go with the notion that Nick's should be 'open' for some unknown *2nd* player. Just a thought...

I'm somewhere in the middle of you two on Fuller. I'm highly disappointed he hasn't brought us ANYTHING from a dead-eye 3pt shooter perspective, which is all he was brought in to do.

But I also agree with Aurora in the fact that not everyone has to be a superstar, kinda nice to see a guy just stick around and be a role player and work hard.

But the dude has to hit more 3's. Straight up, point blank, he has to. And Miles needs to put line ups on the floor that allows him to do that... Not bashing him in at the 4 with a ton of defensive responsibilities that draw away from his strengths.

I'll be happy the first time Fuller doesn't hit the side of the back board when shooting a 3. He did it again during the scrimmage last week. After seeing that I'm not overly confident in his touch.

What I like about Fuller in the bit I've seen of him on the floor is his headiness.  He moves without the ball and gets to the rim.  Backdoor cuts for open looks are things I like, and I have a vivid picture of Fuller doing just that for an easy bucket.  We haven't seen a lot of that from other guys the last couple of years.  He's also not afraid to go after offensive rebounds, something else we haven't seen much of in the recent past.

I'd like to see more of the kid, honestly.  I think he has things to bring to the table other than a 3-point shot that may or may not be any good.

I would have to go back and look to be sure, but I believe Nick Fuller was recruited due to his scoring ability.  Many times other shortcomings can be overlooked a bit if shots are being knocked down.  Fuller (so far) has been a bust due to his inability to consistently knock down his shot.

That said, he has shown a certain amount of savvy, grit and determination that I like to see out of a player.  If his shooters touch starts to appear, then perhaps he can really help us moving forward.  Can he be a role player?  Perhaps.  But it would be nice if he had about another 3 inches of height and 30 lbs. of muscle :)