2016-17 Husker opponents

AuroranHusker

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ph34r:  Looks like #3 Indiana just lost to DIII Ft. Wayne, 71-68 in OT.

Sorry, can't embed video clip of Ft. Wayne fans rushing the floor.  Try clicking on link to view the video.

Tom Crean looks, uhhhhh - Annoyed!  ;)

Fort Wayne stuns Indiana, fans storm court

Indiana's inbounds attempt in order to set up a game-tying 3-pointer is intercepted, resulting in the Fort Wayne fans storming the court after beating the No. 3 Hoosiers 71-68.

play

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18118580

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/scoreboard

Edited by Red Don

The new AP top 25 for Men's hoops came out today, and I wonder if any of you can spot the "one of these things is not like the other" team mentioned this week:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2017/poll/1

(pay particular attention to the "Others Receiving Votes" section)

***edit*** it appears they were there last week, too...

Edited by 49r

16 hours ago, 49r said:

The new AP top 25 for Men's hoops came out today, and I wonder if any of you can spot the "one of these things is not like the other" team mentioned this week:

Holy smokes. They're #164 in KenPom. I guess they are still undefeated, though.

2 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

Holy smokes. They're #164 in KenPom. I guess they are still undefeated, though.

Sure, they're still undefeated but let's take a deeper dive into their schedule:

Fri Nov 11 191 NR Molloy W, 86-57 73   Home 1-0    
Sun Nov 13 184 277 Drexel W, 87-66 75   Home 2-0    
Thu Nov 17 170 180 DePaul W, 66-59 62   Away 3-0    
Sun Nov 20 157 309 Niagara W, 78-65 66   Home 4-0    
Wed Nov 23 150 300 North Texas W, 66-53 63   Home 5-0    
Fri Nov 25 146 331 Hartford W, 77-75 70   Home 6-0  

Even Doc Sadler says "woof" at that piece of trash lineup.  I guess that DePaul win on the road was pretty big for them, tho.  "But 49r," you say "surely the level of competition in their schedule must pick up some in December, right?"  Well let's take a look.  Hm, other than the conference-mandated ACC-B1G challenge game (which I would imagine Pikiell would have gotten out of if he could), it appears that the answer is a resounding "No".

Wed Nov 30   28 Miami FL L, 72-57 63 9% Away     a.gif
Sat Dec 3   333 Morgan St. W, 76-61 68 92% Home      
Tue Dec 6   345 Central Connecticut W, 74-58 64 93% Home      
Sat Dec 10   227 Stony Brook L, 69-68 67 49% Away      
Wed Dec 14   273 Fairleigh Dickinson W, 73-64 64 80% Home      
Sun Dec 18   140 Fordham L, 65-64 64 47% Neutral      
Fri Dec 23   49 Seton Hall L, 75-63 67 13% Away     a.gif

So, I ask you, if you put Nebraska in their place, sitting here at the end of November at 6-0 against that schedule, do you think you would feel right with the Huskers being mentioned in the others receiving votes category of the AP Top 25?  I mean, probably not, right?  Will Rutgers enter conference play at 10-2?  They'll have to work hard to avoid losses in those trap games against Stony Brook and Fordham.

Edited by 49r

On 11/28/2016 at 3:08 PM, 49r said:

Rutt-grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrz

Anyone else starting to feel alot less worried about the Creighton game. Not saying we will win but man they haven't looked good since their backup center went down. He seems to be the only big bodied guy on their roster. 

Really slow starts against bad to okay competition (I know Buffalo isn't too shabby of a team). Now of course they have followed up both of those poor first halves with second half blow outs but still I definitely like our chances to to at the very least be leading at half time.

Edited by khoock

34 minutes ago, khoock said:

Anyone else starting to feel alot less worried about the Creighton game. Not saying we will win but man they haven't looked good since their backup center went down. He seems to be the only big bodied guy on their roster. 

Really slow starts against bad to okay competition (I know Buffalo isn't too shabby of a team). Now of course they have followed up both of those poor first halves with second half blow outs but still I definitely like our chances to to at the very least be leading at half time.

I'd have to agree. Creighton isn't a great rebounding team so Morrow should be feasting on the boards. I'd also say that playing teams like Loyola Maryland and Buffalo even if Buffalo went to the tourney the last 2 years is hard to get up for. I can see them actually "coming to play" against us so that kinda concerns me. Should be a great game.

c'mon @khoock and @OmahaHusker don't fall into that same hopeful trap...we do this to ourselves every year, especially after Creighton lays a turd in one of their games leading up to playing us.  McDermott is just sandbagging again, like always, right before he gets his guys to put in their best performance of the year to date against us.  It always seems to happen that this early December game is where they shift into 5th gear in preperation for conference play.  Maybe some of that is on us, who knows, but I have no doubt in my mind that this year will be no different.

They're gonna own us...they're gonna ride us hard and long and dry and have us begging for mercy by the time it's all over.  We'll be lucky to keep within 30 of them.  Mark it down.

I'm definitely excited about it. I was really looking forward to the gaurd match up of Tai/ Glynn/ Anton v. Foster/ Watson/ Tazz but since Anton hasn't turned out to be what we were expecting (YET) they will have a decent edge there but we should have the advantage in the post. Should be a fun game. We will be at home and do have some good players so there is for sure a chance we could pull it off.

Advantage in the post?  Have you seen Patton play?  Kid is a monster and having Mo run the point is definitely an advantage as it seems like just about every other entry to him ends up with a dunk - one of these times he's going to be successful in pulling down the goal standard!

Not only that but he has a feather-soft touch from outside, did you happen to see the 3 pointer he hit from the top of the key last night?

"We do this to ourselves every year, especially after Creighton lays a turd in one of their games leading up to playing us.  McDermott is just sandbagging again, like always, right before he gets his guys to put in their best performance of the year to date against us.  It always seems to happen that this early December game is where they shift into 5th gear in preperation for conference play."

:D:D hahaha ya I really wish at least some of this post was inaccurate @49r

43 minutes ago, khoock said:

Anyone else starting to feel alot less worried about the Creighton game.

The loss of the last MVC post player is certainly one less things you have to prepare for. Instead of Hansen coming in and scoring anytime you help off him for a driver you're now bringing in TOBY! or Martin Krampelj as your post player when Patton comes out. The Jays put up 77 points on Wisconsin while only playing Hansen 11 minutes though.

11 minutes ago, khoock said:

Tai/ Glynn/ Anton v. Foster/ Watson/ Tazz

It would be hard to argue against Foster as the best player on both ends for this group and that at this point Gill isn't even in the conversation.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

We allowed 27 made three pointers in the last three games....until we defend the three point line better or Miles has a different plan from years past against Creighton it's not a good matchup for us. 

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Advantage in the post?  Have you seen Patton play?  Kid is a monster and having Mo run the point is definitely an advantage as it seems like just about every other entry to him ends up with a dunk - one of these times he's going to be successful in pulling down the goal standard!

Not only that but he has a feather-soft touch from outside, did you happen to see the 3 pointer he hit from the top of the key last night?

Being that Patton is really their only post player I am taking our trio (Ed, MJ, and Jordy) over him solo. 

They definitely have the advantage at the gaurd position, I was just stating that before the season I was excited to see the gaurd match up bc they have three really good gaurds and so do we (atleast we thought). Many of us thought Anton would be leading or at least be a second or third leading scorer going in to the season. So far that is not the case which takes a lot of the luster away from that specific matchup.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

The loss of the last MVC post player is certainly one less things you have to prepare for. Instead of Hansen coming in and scoring anytime you help off him for a driver you're now bringing in TOBY! or Martin Krampelj as your post player when Patton comes out. The Jays put up 77 points on Wisconsin while only playing Hansen 11 minutes though.

It would be hard to argue against Foster as the best player on both ends for this group and that at this point Gill isn't even in the conversation.

Anton not being what we were expecting is the reason I said I WAS, past tense, excited for the gaurd match ups between us. As of right now it is definitely a lopsided matchup unless Gill turns a huge corner in a hurry.

My point about Hansen is that he was their only big bodied guy down low. Patton is tall and long but the kids only like 230 soaking wet. And their other forwards are all in the 225 range.

Edited by khoock