2016-17 Husker opponents

AuroranHusker

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Big Ten Network announced start times for the 2016-17 conference games Monday morning, and the Huskers will have 13 of its 18 conference games on BTN this season.

Nebraska’s first six conference games will be on BTN, including its Big Ten opener at Indiana on Dec. 28, which will start at 6 p.m. (central).

Monday’s announcement also set the start time for seven of Nebraska’s nine home games, including its Big Ten home opener with Iowa (8 p.m.) and matchups with Ohio State (Jan. 18, 8 p.m.), Purdue (Jan. 29, 3 p.m.), Wisconsin (Feb. 9, 8 p.m.), Illinois (Feb. 26, 6 p.m.) and Senior Night against Michigan (March 5, 7 p.m.). Nebraska’s January 8th game against Northwestern will start at either 1:15 p.m. or 3:30 p.m., depending on the NFL Playoff games that weekend. That start time will be determined that week.

In addition, the start times for Nebraska’s exhibition game and three non-conference games were set this morning, as all four games will be available on BTN Plus.  The Huskers’ exhibition game on Nov. 7 against Chadron State will tip off at 7 p.m., as will regular-season games against the University of Mary (Nov. 15) and Southern (Dec. 20). NU’s game with South Dakota on Saturday, Dec. 3, will start at 1 p.m.

• 3 weeks later...

What would be more satisfying in the non con this year? What do you want to see more as a fan? What do you think the staff wants more deep down?

1. Make a run or win the Wooden Legacy

2. Beat Creighton

3. Hang with Kansas. 

I can tell you, without any insider information, that deep down what the staff wants most is to win the Wooden Legacy, beat Creighton and then beat KU.

What would be more satisfying in the non con this year? What do you want to see more as a fan? What do you think the staff wants more deep down?

1. Make a run or win the Wooden Legacy

2. Beat Creighton

3. Hang with Kansas.

I can tell you, without any insider information, that deep down what the staff wants most is to win the Wooden Legacy, beat Creighton and then beat KU.

I personally would switch around the Wooden Legacy tourney and Creighton. Especially if we could be there first loss of the season.

Seriously, though, we shouldn't even be worrying about any of that.  You can mark the Creighton and Kansas games as losses in permanent ink on your schedule.

Getting 2 wins in the Wooden Legacy should be the goal for us.

Creighton is a dark horse national title contender.  Anything less than Sweet 16 for them should be considered a bitter, bitter disappointment.  Seriously.

I would just love to put an early blemish on their record. They are preseason picked to finish 3rd in the BE and a lot of Jays fans are talking Sweet 16 and beyond. So nothing would make me happier to give them a good beatdown.

Of course they are talking Sweet 16 as they think that every year but with all their "history", they have yet to win 2 games in any NCAA tournament.  Even with Doug McDermott, they thought sweet 16 and yet was one win and done.

I would just love to put an early blemish on their record. They are preseason picked to finish 3rd in the BE and a lot of Jays fans are talking Sweet 16 and beyond. So nothing would make me happier to give them a good beatdown.

Of course they are talking Sweet 16 as they think that every year but with all their "history", they have yet to win 2 games in any NCAA tournament.  Even with Doug McDermott, they thought sweet 16 and yet was one win and done.

Why wouldn't they have high expectations? I mean, they do have a Top 10 football team right now.

No you've got it wrong kldm.  McDermott now has has a full recruiting cycle in the Big East under his belt and has been just killing it.  They have a solid top-tier roster, a culture of winning, top 5 fan base, their facilities are as good or better than any in the country.  Also, Villanova proved last year that any Big East team should expect to be able to win the national title in any given year, I believe this year may be Creighton's year.

They have so many built in advantages now.  Sweet 16 should be the absolute floor of expectation moving forward.  Anything else is a bitter, bitter disappointment.  As I said before their roster is as complete as it's ever been.  They should be embarrassed if they don't get to at least the Sweet 16.

No you've got it wrong kldm.  McDermott now has has a full recruiting cycle in the Big East under his belt and has been just killing it.  They have a solid top-tier roster, a culture of winning, top 5 fan base, their facilities are as good or better than any in the country.  Also, Villanova proved last year that any Big East team should expect to be able to win the national title in any given year, I believe this year may be Creighton's year.

They have so many built in advantages now.  Sweet 16 should be the absolute floor of expectation moving forward.  Anything else is a bitter, bitter disappointment.  As I said before their roster is as complete as it's ever been.  They should be embarrassed if they don't get to at least the Sweet 16.

We're resorted to mocking another program and fan base because ours has been practically irrelevant the past century. Remember when the Creighton Nebraska game wasn't even that big of a deal? Creighton was an afterthought for us. I always thought well who cares if we lose to them they're in the cute Missouri Valley and have to win out to even try and sniff the tournament. Well now they don't. We can make fun of their lofty Sweet 16 expectation but hell at least they have expectations period. What's Washut saying for us? NIT is more than likely the ceiling? In Miles' 5th year? Unbelievable. It's getting very old. I'm tired of us losing to Creighton. I'm tired of our roster turnover every offseason. And....my god...the tweets at halftime. Can we please just win? Ok rant over. My apologies. GBR

Who's making fun of them?  I'm not, I'm dead serious.  Sweet 16 is not only a realistic goal for them, I believe they should be ashamed if they don't get at least that far with what they've built.  The honest truth is they've built something special there and we should recognize that.

That doesn't make their fanbase any less detestable, nor does it make me have to like or even respect who and what they are.  It also shouldn't stop us from aspiring to lofty goals ourselves.  But let's not delude ourselves into thinking they haven't passed us by, but instead recognize that if it's possible in Omaha to build a nationally relevant program it is sure as hell possible to do the same in Lincoln.

As for Nebraska?  With the youth on our roster, the depth of the B1G and the meat grinder of a non-con we have this year I absolutely agree with Washut in saying that realistically NIT is the ceiling.  Doesn't mean we can't get on a hot streak and do something special, one only has to go back to 2014 to see what is possible with a young team.  But to expect it?  No, not this year anyway.

Who's making fun of them?  I'm not, I'm dead serious.  Sweet 16 is not only a realistic goal for them, I believe they should be ashamed if they don't get at least that far with what they've built.  The honest truth is they've built something special there and we should recognize that.

That doesn't make their fanbase any less detestable, nor does it make me have to like or even respect who and what they are.  It also shouldn't stop us from aspiring to lofty goals ourselves.  But let's not delude ourselves into thinking they haven't passed us by, but instead recognize that if it's possible in Omaha to build a nationally relevant program it is sure as hell possible to do the same in Lincoln.

As for Nebraska?  With the youth on our roster, the depth of the B1G and the meat grinder of a non-con we have this year I absolutely agree with Washut in saying that realistically NIT is the ceiling.  Doesn't mean we can't get on a hot streak and do something special, one only has to go back to 2014 to see what is possible with a young team.  But to expect it?  No, not this year anyway.

I agree 100%. Especially with the building a relevant program in Omaha comment.