2018 F Ed Chang (Papillion-LaVista)

AuroranHusker

I do not have any issues with Nick.  In fact, if he chooses to stay his final year of eligibility, I will be very good with it.  Every team needs glue players.  Few if any teams play beyond an eight to ten man rotation.  You need players who are willing to be that extra player who can play in a pinch, and play hard, and play decently.  Nick fills that role. 

As long as he is accepting to that role then he can proudly wear the scarlet and cream.

I know it is just funny to me that every year the fans seem to pick a kid that is THAT kid can't do anything right, shouldn't be waisting a scholarship,etc...  and sometimes they end up helping out.

Just feel that Fuller is that kid the last two years.

i actually think he is pretty good, but for whatever reason hasn't been able to get playing time here. i could see him scoring double figures at a smaller school.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Through last week's games, Ed was averaging 19.7 ppg and 8 rebs.

His teammate Akinwole is going to be good for UNO. Not really impressive physically, but just constantly does things to win games. There are rumblings about Hansen's seat getting warm, but whoever is there the next four years is going to look a lot smarter with Akinwole at PG.

Besides Papio for bobcat402, I wanted to mention my alma mater Aurora is playing in the Big Event next Saturday in the Heartland Hoops Classic. 

Whoever all is fortunate enough to attend these ballgames, please report back how the day went asap. Thanks.

Edited by AuroranHusker
*clarity*

Just watched Ed play Millard South last night.  He has a ton of potential, but plays extremely lazy.  Extremely raw, but I'd be lying if I said his potential isn't through the roof.  He has good range, but does not have post play moves in his repertoire.  I can see his defense turn a lot of coaches off, but defense can be taught.

He did nothing eye popping IMO, and he didn't stand out as the best player on the floor.  The fact he would rather shoot the 3 than post up scares me a bit.  At his size, he would have to develop more of an inside game before he plays in college.  He would be a big project!

Edited by big red22

I was also at the Millard south vs papillion game last night. Like big red22 said, nothing eye popping from Ed Chang. Very athletic with a lot of potential but very lazy. During warmups he was just jacking up 25-footers the whole time. I will say that the atmosphere was total garbage. How do fans/students/parents not show up to see the #1 team in the state play? There were maybe 25 kids in the student section. I think Millard south had almost equally as many fans and were way more into the game. I think Ed is a good player but maybe just a lack of motivation last night for some reason and the environment didn't help at all. I wouldn't write him off but another year of development will go a long way, especially on the defensive side. That was the first time I saw him play. I think he had like 15 or so points quietly. I'd go watch him play again if I get a chance. Still can't get over how few fans were at a home game for the #1 team in the state. I am from small town Nebraska and everyone traveled to all the away games and the home gym was always packed. So I guess my perspective is a little different in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/4/2017 at 3:49 PM, AuroranHusker said:

Besides Papio for bobcat402, I wanted to mention my alma mater Aurora is playing in the Big Event next Saturday in the Heartland Hoops Classic. 

Whoever all is fortunate enough to attend these ballgames, please report back how the day went asap. Thanks.

I went to the see Aurora play Omaha South, Arop Stuffed Austin Allen on a dunk attempt. Arop got called for a foul on the play, but it was clearly all ball. Then Papillion-Lavista played Sunrise Christian Academy from Wichita. Sunrise beat Papillion by 3 I think. Deng had 0 pts. I didn't catch how many Chang had, but he was shooting from 25 to 30 ft. making some. He shot one three step from mid court, it was a miss. He did good work on the boards though. I'll try and attach the program of the Sunrise Christian Academy roster later, not sure at how to attach it. Sunrise has a player that is going to aTm, Isiah Jasey 6'9" he is a big body. Sunrise also has a 7'0" kid that is a freshmen.

5 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I went to the see Aurora play Omaha South, Arop Stuffed Austin Allen on a dunk attempt. Arop got called for a foul on the play, but it was clearly all ball. Then Papillion-Lavista played Sunrise Christian Academy from Wichita. Sunrise beat Papillion by 3 I think. Deng had 0 pts. I didn't catch how many Chang had, but he was shooting from 25 to 30 ft. making some. He shot one three step from mid court, it was a miss. He did good work on the boards though. I'll try and attach the program of the Sunrise Christian Academy roster later, not sure at how to attach it. Sunrise has a player that is going to aTm, Isiah Jasey 6'9" he is a big body. Sunrise also has a 7'0" kid that is a freshmen.

Any other thoughts on Aurora-Omaha South, Bugger. Seemed like a tightly contested game, 57-52.

Edited by AuroranHusker
*clarity*

7 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Any other thoughts on Aurora-Omaha South, Bugger. Seemed like a tightly contested game, 57-52.

Well #3 for Aurora hasn't meet a shot he didn't like. Baylor Scheierman is his name he is a Sophomore. Aurora really hits the boards, it was a well played game and they just ran out of steam at the end, and it did take awhile for the game to get into a flow a lot of feeling out in the first quarter.

Edited by Bugeaters1

3 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Well #3 for Aurora hasn't meet a shot he didn't like. Baylor Scheierman is his name he is a Sophomore. Aurora really hits the boards, it was a well played game and they just ran out of steam at the end

3 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Well #3 for Aurora hasn't meet a shot he didn't like. Baylor Scheierman is his name he is a Sophomore. Aurora really hits the boards, it was a well played game and they just ran out of steam at the end

Last night Baylor Scheierman hit a 30' shot to tie it up in the prior ballgame in the final moments at Crete, then Austin Allen hit a turnaround jumper for the win. I think Aurora has been on fumes trying to maintain an undefeated record. I was curious how Aurora held up against the speed & athleticism of Omaha South....

Edited by AuroranHusker
*clarity*

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

Last night Baylor Scheierman hit a 30' shot to tie last the ballgame in the final moments at Crete, then Austin Allen hit a turnaround jumper for the win. I think Aurora has been on fumes trying to maintain an undefeated record. I was curious how Aurora held up against the speed & athleticism of Omaha South....

I think had Aurora not played last night they might win tonight, But I also don't know where Omaha South played last night either. Aurora can play with them and Papio and the team from Wichita. Aurora has the height to play inside with any of them.

23 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Omaha South played last night against a poor Omaha Northwest team, it was a 78-47 score if I recall correctly.

Good to hear the report.

Any news on the guys from Papio in the Sunrise game???

Yeah, I'm trying to post the roster of the Sunrise team, It may take me sometime to figure it out. okay I got it figured out with some help. As you can see Sunrise is an international team. Isiah Jasey is going to Texas A&M he is a big bodied kid. he had some dunks, I don't know how many pts. he had as the score board at the HEC is a bit messed up. it will only give the score of a player that either scores or fouled, no starting five up on the board.Sunrise is IMO an average team. The Heartland hoops people ran out of good programs so they had to print off copies to hand out. Rumor has it that Oak Hill will be back next year. It will be the 11th year for the event and I hope to make it my 11th as well.

20170211_231549_1486878882443_73.jpg

Edited by Bugeaters1

On 2/12/2017 at 0:00 AM, AuroranHusker said:

Omaha South played last night against a poor Omaha Northwest team, it was a 78-47 score if I recall correctly.

Good to hear the report.

Any news on the guys from Papio in the Sunrise game???

Here are some highlights from the Heartland Hoops Classic.

http://www.nbcneb.com/content/sports/Heartland-Hoops-Classic-wrap-and-reaction-NBC-Nebraska-413553433.html

I was at the prep Classic as well.   First of all, I really would love to get Cheng.   He is the real deal.  Guys that long, shouldn't be able to shoot like that.  So much talent to work with.  Also like that he is forced to play center basically on defense, so he will know how to play in there, even though he wouldn't be playing in there here very much. 

As for Aurora, they would beat Omaha South 8 out of 10 times after watching that game.  Aurora has some developing problems though.  Baylor coming on to the scene in such a significant way has possibly taken too many shots away from Penner and Leiniger who is really in a bad slump.  They won't win if he doesn't pick it up.  Baylor Scheierman is easily the best player right now.  He had a bad shooting game though in this one.  He is a great shooter though.  I think for them to operate at peak performance, he needs to back the pedal down just a touch and he needs to be playing off the ball more.  Let others drive and kick to him for easier, shorter treys that are less contested.  It also could lead to better play from Tommy and Penner.  Odd deal where I think they might be better next year, even though they will have worse players.  They can still win it all, but they have got to start playing like they are capable. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...