2017 Recruits

Row6Seat10

speculation on usd coyote board Myah Selland has verbally committed to Amy Williams. IF TRUE, woulda rather seen her a jackrabbit! -_-

*update* to make long story short, Myah has major colleges talking to her, but, it really sounds like she may be going to either usd/sdsu. so, i will let the Myah Selland talk end here. 

• 2 weeks later...

speculation on usd coyote board Myah Selland has verbally committed to Amy Williams. IF TRUE, woulda rather seen her a jackrabbit! -_-

*update* to make long story short, Myah has major colleges talking to her, but, it really sounds like she may be going to either usd/sdsu. so, i will let the Myah Selland talk end here. 

Not so fast there my South Dakota friend.

This year, Myah Selland averaged 23.8 points, 3.8 assists, 8.4 rebounds, 3.1 steals and 2.3 blocks per contest. Because of Selland's individual impact, she has been named The Daily Republic girls basketball player of the year for the second consecutive season.

Before Selland can focus on next season, there are a couple of obstacles in her path. First and foremost, she is scheduled to have surgery on her hip that will prevent her from playing in summer league basketball.

In-state colleges University of South Dakota and South Dakota State University are known to be interested in Selland, while other Division I out-of-state schools have inquired about her.

While there's no internal deadline set by Selland, she'd like to make the decision by the start of the school year.

"I do have a pretty big decision here coming up," Selland said. "I think we'll sit down, weigh out all the options and make the right decision.

She wants to major in athletic training or exercise science, so that there should give NU a leg up in her recruitment.

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/sports/prep/3994636-blackhawks-selland-wins-daily-republic-player-year

OWH yesterday had Taylor Kissenger at 2nd team All State. Mildly surprised I guess. If she was on a class A team with her scoring average it would probably be different.

All the 1st teamer's were seniors except the girl from Omaha Westside. Think she's a sophomore.

i had heard Bill Fennelly (ISU) took some shots at Gopher's coach Stollings regarding her recruiting, so, was doing a little research on that and came across this little tidbit:

Minnesota’s No. 1 player in the Class of 2017, according to 5statehoops.com, was about to make coach Bill Fennelly’s down day a little bit brighter. After mulling over a scholarship offer that officially came earlier in the day, the sophomore from Kasson-Mantorville High School near Rochester, Minn., walked up to Fennelly and committed on the spot.“He gave me the biggest hug and said, ‘Thank you so much,’” said the 6-foot-2 post, who received strong interest from Minnesota, Marquette and NEBRASKA.

- See more at: http://amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-isu-nabs-minnesota-s-top-ranked-2017-recruit#sthash.tpCTXBJ6.dpuf

OWH yesterday had Taylor Kissenger at 2nd team All State. Mildly surprised I guess. If she was on a class A team with her scoring average it would probably be different.

All the 1st teamer's were seniors except the girl from Omaha Westside. Think she's a sophomore.

Kissinger's 2nd team status probably was because she missed a good portion of the season with an injury.

i had heard Bill Fennelly (ISU) took some shots at Gopher's coach Stollings regarding her recruiting, so, was doing a little research on that and came across this little tidbit:

It was Fennelly's son who is an assistant coach for him. He said in an radio interview before Christmas that "Stollings has a reputation of secretly recruiting players from other teams rosters and getting them to transfer." I'll try to find that interview.

Well, this thread most likely will have to be revised in the near future. Going to be interesting now to see what kind of player/athlete the Husker program starts drawing in. Wonder if Taylor Kissinger keeps us on her final list.

That was an early thought I had too. Everything recruiting wise is up in the air.

But in Rileys case he was able to keep most everyone from Pelini's last class.

So who ever is the new coach....first order of business is addressing the current squad.....then 2016 ......and then 2017 recruits.

Keep us up to date on this one whoopdeedoo. After today's announcement I'm thinking the Huskers might be back in the fold!

Keep us up to date on this one whoopdeedoo. After today's announcement I'm thinking the Huskers might be back in the fold!

hearing that Myah Selland was pretty enamored with Amy Williams and she may have been leaning towards being a "Yote". the one thing going in the Jackrabbit direction was some people thought the "fit" would probably be better in Brookings. also, the one big thing that seems to be constant is, she wants to play close to home. one other key word i might throw out there, is "play". joining one of the mid-major schools (sdsu or usd) would most likely turn out to be a situation where she could play right away---or at least get some minutes. hard to say, though. playing a schedule like a nebraska school plays is quite a step up from the level she is used to playing at----yet, she is pretty good! guessing there will be a bit of adjustment time for her.

it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Myah may consider putting nebraska on her list. the hiring of williams may give her something to think about.

i see Myah made sf's argus leaders "first five" and there is a short video with her. i can see it on my mobile but not sure how to link it to this venue. don't subscribe to argus on laptop, so, my monthly "free" articles are used up.

re: Myah Selland (Sanborn Central/Woonsocket)

South Dakota State B Tournament

my first look at the 6'2" junior. for lack of a better comment, i will steal what the commentators stated: "she has incredible command of the basketball". i would add, she is pretty "smooth" with her ball handling skills/moves. she has such a "mature" build for her age. really stands out compared to most other players on the court.

in thursday nights game, her scoring stats were 9-12 in field goals, 1-2 3pters, 5-9 ft's. scored a "quiet" 26 pts. also, believe the announcers stated she was flirting with a triple double. she was "in and out" quite a bit probably because of the comfortable lead during most of the game.

much of the time, she would bring the ball up the court, pass off, and then go post up. there were a couple of times where she brought the ball up the court and took it right to the hoop for a layup. one time it was right through a double team and another she put some moves on a triple team and went in for a layup that had you shaking your head. when she had the ball, she faced a double, sometimes triple team practically the whole game.

very unselfish player. at the level of schools she is playing, there is no doubt she could just takeover all the duties if she wanted to, but, she looks to get her teammates involved.

by the time it's all said and done, myah selland will no doubt be one of the best girl basketball players the state of south dakota has produced. i haven't heard or read the schools she may be interested in, but, someone is going to get a good one.

re: Myah Selland (Sanborn Central/Woonsocket)

South Dakota State B Tournament

my first look at the 6'2" junior. for lack of a better comment, i will steal what the commentators stated: "she has incredible command of the basketball". i would add, she is pretty "smooth" with her ball handling skills/moves. she has such a "mature" build for her age. really stands out compared to most other players on the court.

in thursday nights game, her scoring stats were 9-12 in field goals, 1-2 3pters, 5-9 ft's. scored a "quiet" 26 pts. also, believe the announcers stated she was flirting with a triple double. she was "in and out" quite a bit probably because of the comfortable lead during most of the game.

much of the time, she would bring the ball up the court, pass off, and then go post up. there were a couple of times where she brought the ball up the court and took it right to the hoop for a layup. one time it was right through a double team and another she put some moves on a triple team and went in for a layup that had you shaking your head. when she had the ball, she faced a double, sometimes triple team practically the whole game.

very unselfish player. at the level of schools she is playing, there is no doubt she could just takeover all the duties if she wanted to, but, she looks to get her teammates involved.

by the time it's all said and done, myah selland will no doubt be one of the best girl basketball players the state of south dakota has produced. i haven't heard or read the schools she may be interested in, but, someone is going to get a good one.

not sure if you are trying to make a point or what? lately, have also heard a few comments from some that have seen her play a number of times and, in their opinion, she may be a bit overrated. comments made along the lines if she went to a "big" school she may have a bit of a struggle with the speed of the game. adjustment to that part of the game may take some time. i still think she will be a good one wherever she decides to go. one of the best to come out of the state of sd.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely love this!!! Coach Amy gets it!

When you have a passionate fan base like we have here you do what you can to keep them involved! You would have never seen something like this with the previous coaching staff!

CgrY38LU4AEhokh.jpg

No. Carolina and Virginia are areas we rarely have recruited in the last few years- that's great to hear.  If I remember right we were looking at a gal from NC recently.  Sorry. have to make note of a missing state.

jackrabbit coach "tweeted" his famous line when they get a commitment: it is being reported that it is myah selland. good pickup for the program. i kept hearing it was between usd and sdsu---when coach williams accepted the position at nebraska, that probably sealed the deal for sdsu. who knows, she may have chose sdsu anyway.

jackrabbit coach "tweeted" his famous line when they get a commitment: it is being reported that it is myah selland. good pickup for the program. i kept hearing it was between usd and sdsu---when coach williams accepted the position at nebraska, that probably sealed the deal for sdsu. who knows, she may have chose sdsu anyway.

Do you think Coach Williams cooled on her recruitment when she made the move to Lincoln? Interesting that the new SD coach didn't get much time if any at all to see if she could lure her in. 

Do you think Coach Williams cooled on her recruitment when she made the move to Lincoln? Interesting that the new SD coach didn't get much time if any at all to see if she could lure her in. 

nothing set in stone here, but, there was the opinion out there that she would go to a P5 program. there were some strong opinions out there that it would be either usd or sdsu. also, heard that she really liked coach williams, so, i would have to believe coach williams gauged her interest in playing for the huskers, but, evidently no luck. she had hip surgery (no idea what the procedure involved) and cannot participate in summer ball, but, wonder if it might have cooled some of the P5 prospects? of course, she will be a hs senior next season and will get a playing season under her belt after the surgery. hope it is something that does not linger and cause her problems. sdsu got a good one. 

• 1 month later...

Shaina Pellington '2017, a 5'8 guard from Dunbarton City High School in Pickering Ontario has been added to the 2017 big board as the Huskers have recently been showing interest in her. She played for the Canadian U16 National team last year when they won gold at the FIBA Americas tournament in Puebla, Mexico. As usual just sketchy information on Canadian players. The following is from her profile on the Canada Basketball page.  I've seen her listed from 5'5 to 5'9

Member of the Canadian U16 Cadet National team. Gold Medalist at the FIBA Americas.
Member of the Ontario Provincial U17 team. Gold Medalist.
Member of SBA U19 OBA team - Gold Medalist Division 1.

Here's a video of her in club basketball pretty blurry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZihoCadbiak

Shaina Pellington '2017, a 5'8 guard from Dunbarton City High School in Pickering Ontario has been added to the 2017 big board as the Huskers have recently been showing interest in her. She played for the Canadian U16 National team last year when they won gold at the FIBA Americas tournament in Puebla, Mexico. As usual just sketchy information on Canadian players. The following is from her profile on the Canada Basketball page.  I've seen her listed from 5'5 to 5'9

Member of the Canadian U16 Cadet National team. Gold Medalist at the FIBA Americas.

Member of the Ontario Provincial U17 team. Gold Medalist.

Member of SBA U19 OBA team - Gold Medalist Division 1.

Here's a video of her in club basketball pretty blurry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZihoCadbiak

Thank you Row...nice to hear some "new" news.  Like everyone ...really looking forward to our progress on the recruiting front.

We do have a Canadian on the roster in Esther.  May help getting interest from other Canadians possibly.

NU not being on her final 10 list is most likely the result of the coaches that were recruiting her to Nebraska are no longer with the program. I'm surprised Notre Dame didn't make the cut.

More indication that most kids go to a school because of the coaches recruiting them. Some of the top 5, top 10 schools nationally can get them by the schools stature as basketball factories.  There are exceptions to everything of course.

We have been doing pretty well attracting talent. Hope Coach Amy and staff can pick up right where we left off.