WBB: Game #14 vs Wisconsin

Row6Seat10

Nebraska Cornhuskers (10-3) vs. Wisconsin Badgers (8-5)

Wednesday, Jan. 2, 7:05 p.m. (Central)

Bob Devaney Sports Center (Lincoln, Neb.)

Premium Internet Video: BTN.com (premium subscribers)

Radio: 25-Station IMG College Husker Sports Network (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch)

(KBBK 107.3 FM, Lincoln; KFFF 93.3 FM, Omaha; KNEB 94.1 FM Scottsbluff; )

Free Internet Audio: Huskers.com

Huskers Open Big Ten Play with Badgers at Devaney Wednesday

CCWJXQQTVAQBZWJ.20120219211457.JPGThe No. 25 Nebraska women's basketball team continues its four-game home stand when the Huskers open Big Ten Conference action with Wisconsin in Lincoln on Wednesday, Jan. 2.

Tip-off between the Huskers and the Badgers is set for 7:05 p.m at the Bob Devaney Sports Center. As part of a holiday break promotion for the game, Lincoln Public Schools students (Eighth Grade and under) will receive free general admission seating, if they present a voucher that was available in the December issue of the LPS Community News.

Nebraska will shoot for a strong start to Big Ten action by playing its first two conference games at home for the first time since 2007-08, when the Huskers opened Big 12 action with wins over Texas and Kansas.

The Huskers tip-off conference play with the Badgers, who can equal their season victory total from 2011-12 with a win at the Devaney Center on Wednesday. UW comes to Lincoln with an 8-5 record following a road loss at Miami. Second-year coach Bobbie Kelsey has guided Wisconsin to eight non-conference wins after managing just four wins outside the league a year ago. The Badgers finished with a 5-11 Big Ten mark last year.

All-Big Ten forward Jordan Hooper (19.5 ppg, 8.8 rpg) and second-team All-Big Ten point guard Lindsey Moore (15.0 ppg, 5.5 apg, 1.9 spg) lead the Huskers into conference play. As a team, Wisconsin is averaging 62.2 points while allowing 56.6 points per game. The Badgers are shooting 40.2 percent from the field, including 30.6 percent from three-point range. They have been outstanding at the free throw line, connecting on 77.2 percent of their attempts. UW also owns a plus-3.8 team rebounding margin, but carries a minus-2.3 team turnover margin.

Wisconsin leads the all-time series with Nebraska 5-2, but the Huskers have won both meetings as Big Ten Conference competitors.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers

3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - So. - F

23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - So. - F

35 - Jordan Hooper - 6-2 - Jr. - F

00 - Lindsey Moore - 5-9 - Sr. - G

24 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - Fr. - G

Wisconsin Badgers

4 - Nicole Bauman - 5-10 - Fr. - G

5 - Morgan Paige - 5-9 - Jr. - G

24 - Tiera Stephen - 5-7 - Sr. - G

35 - Jacki Gulczynski - 6-1 - So. - G/F

43 - Cassie Rochel - 6-4 - Jr. - C/F

Lindsey Moore recently passed All-American Nicole Kubik (563) and Jina Johansen (567) to climb into the No. 2 spot on Nebraska's career assist list after dishing out eight assists in Nebraska's win over Oral Roberts on Dec. 20.

The 5-9 senior point guard from Covington, Wash., added eight more assists against Grambling State Dec. 29 to increase her career total to 576, trailing only school record holder Meggan Yedsena (696)

Jordan Hooper has been scalding hot at home in her last three games at the Devaney Center. In Husker wins over Idaho State, Florida State, Oral Roberts and Grambling State, Hooper has averaged 29.0 points and 9.0 rebounds while shooting 55 percent from the field, including 44.4 percent from three-point range. She has produced 116 points in 114 minutes, scoring her 116 points on 80 field goal attempts.

Moore and Hooper have flown up the Nebraska career scoring chart during their time as Huskers. Moore, ranks No. 13 at Nebraska with 1,355 points. She needs 23 points to catch Cory Montgomery for 12th place. Hooper, already ranks 14th all-time on the Husker scoring list with 1,332 points. Hooper is just 23 points behind Moore despite playing 34 fewer games.

With its 84-39 win over Grambling State, the Huskers closed non-conference play with 10 or more victories for the fourth consecutive year and the sixth time in the past seven seasons.

Huskers Open Big Ten Play with Badgers.....Huskers.com

Click here to view the article

Husker win an ugly game 70-52.

I can't imagine what this team would look like without Lindsey Moore. Big game for zeroes knocking down 5 threes to finish with 26 points. Emily Cady had a nice game also getting a double double scoring 13 points and grabbing 14 rebounds. JHoop finished with 14 pts and 6 boards.

I thought this was the poorest defensive effort we have had all year. Practically every time down the court Wisc. drove the lane and found absolutely no kind of help defense. Why not scrap the man to man and at least try some kind of ZONE to stop that penetration!! If you can change the offense you can surely change up the defense once and a while.

I find it unbelievable that any player at this level of play can continually blow wide open lay ups on a regular basis!!  :angry:

Row 6, I agree with your thoughts on allowing penetration by Wisconsin's guards. Although that is a bit by design in Connie's scheme, which relies on help sliding over.  As you note, it was often late. Of course, at the end of the game, the other team only had 52 points, so perhaps the D was better than it looked! 

You are correct, LIndsay makes a huge difference with this team.  Just a great player.   I shudder to think where the team would be without her.

It was very obvious watching the game that Theriot is very limited by her foot injury. After she aggravated it in the first half, she couldn't run.  She's trying hard despite the pain.  I'm afraid we won't know how good she can be until next year.

Hooper didn't look quite right last night either.  She tweaked an ankle early, but I  don't know how much that affected her. 

While the defense on the drives wasn't great, the defense did force plenty of turnovers and made sure to protect the perimeter enough to keep the lead. On a night when you're shooting lights out from beyond the arc, that's all it takes to get the win.

More importantly, the Huskers showed they could shut down a strong player and help force foul trouble, which is evident when you look at Morgan Paige's night. This type of effort and ability to key in on a good player will be important later in the year.

I think Wisconsin used the film from the Creighton game. Creighton did the exact same thing by driving the lane and if that 5-10 foot shot wasn't there they'd pass out to the 3 point shooter. I really believe first on defense is you've got to stop dribble penetration. And if you can't do it man to man you at least try a 1-3-1 or 2-1-2 zone.

I dislike the fact other teams prepare for us knowing were only going to defend them man to man. Why can't we switch it up and go zone once an a while and throw that other team for a loop?

Welcome to the board GrandpaJake!