The Starting Five

Will the starters of :

White

Webster

Watson

Morrow

Shields

Be the same starters for the regular season opener? I would be very surprised if it was anything different...        

I hope so.  Although it would not surprise me to see Benny start the season in the starting rotation over Watson.  I'm not sure how we will counter anyone with a legit big man.  Should be interesting. 

Will the starters of :

White

Webster

Watson

Morrow

Shields

Be the same starters for the regular season opener? I would be very surprised if it was anything different...        

FYI those weren't the same starters for game 1 and probably won't be for game 3.

Shields and White are the only locks IMO.

Let's not get to worried about height.  Wichita State's starting lineup last year was:

Van Fleet               6-0

Cotton                    6-3

Baker                     6-4

Wessel                  6-4

Carter                    6-7

They were pretty good last year.

Let's not get to worried about height.  Wichita State's starting lineup last year was:

Yeah...because we were such a great rebounding team last year right? Ed Morrow will help in that department no doubt but as 6'7 freshman he may have some issues guarding centers in Big Ten play.  I wouldn't be so worried about height if we had a team that could shoot make jump shots.  That is still a major question mark. 

did they play a Big Ten schedule too?

Let's not get to worried about height. Wichita State's starting lineup last year was:

Van Fleet 6-0

Cotton 6-3

Baker 6-4

Wessel 6-4

Carter 6-7

Yeah...because we were such a great rebounding team last year right? Ed Morrow will help in that department no doubt but as 6'7 freshman he may have some issues guarding centers in Big Ten play. I wouldn't be so worried about height if we had a team that could shoot make jump shots. That is still a major question mark.

That's definitely the two biggest keys to the season IMO. Rebounding and knocking down jumpers. I think we'll be ok defensively, because of our solid help principles, provided that we are significantly improved in checking out and cleaning the boards. None of that will matter a hill of beans if we can't knock down jump shots consistently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They beat Indiana and Kansas in the tournament last year.  They won't be much taller this year and they are a preseason top 10 team. 

Quality point guard play makes a big difference.  Watson could really help in this area.

They beat Indiana and Kansas in the tournament last year.  They won't be much taller this year and they are a preseason top 10 team. 

Quality point guard play makes a big difference.  Watson could really help in this area.

I witnessed both the Indiana and Kansas games in Omaha. Shockers are a great team with a fine cast of characters: Great spacing on the floor. Great rebounding at both ends of the court. Great in transition. Great guard-play. Great coaching.

I witnessed both the Indiana and Kansas games in Omaha. Shockers are a great team with a fine cast of characters: Great spacing on the floor. Great rebounding at both ends of the court. Great in transition. Great guard-play. Great coaching.

I think the only point ICT was making in his OP was, Height Alone does not make a great team (and then supported his observation).  Keep up the good work!  wave.gif

My hunch is eventually we're going to see:

Watson/Parker

White/Webster

Shields/McVeigh

Morrow/Fuller

Jacobson/Hammond

I realize that's 10 deep.  The only one I can see off the list is Fuller though.  I think everyone else gets minutes consistently.  

So far, minimal minutes have been logged at the 2 by White, Shields, or McVeigh - this suggests that they are not comfortable with White at the 2 as far as handling the ball or creating his own shot.  And since having Watson and Parker out there at the same time might not be a viable option as far as size, that means unless Bakari is ready to play, we will see a lot of Tai Webster. It also means that Shields plays the majority of time at the 4 (if White and Shields are both going 30+ minutes as expected, and White is at the 3, Shields would be the 4) and Morrow at the 5.  So they go 6'7" all the way across the front, and with guards that haven't proven the ability to hit three pointers.

My hunch is eventually we're going to see:

Watson/Parker

White/Webster

Shields/McVeigh

Morrow/Fuller

Jacobson/Hammond

I realize that's 10 deep.  The only one I can see off the list is Fuller though.  I think everyone else gets minutes consistently.  

Miles said on the record very recently that McVeigh is a 4.  At least for this year.  He may play a few minutes at the 3, but he if he is going to play this year, Miles made it sound like it will be 90%+ at the 4 (maybe some 5?)

Miles, after watching McVeigh, an Australian native, compete in the FIBA Under-19 World Championships this summer, is solidified on his versatile newcomer playing a stretch-four position.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/mcveigh-s-length-to-help-nu-s-frontcourt/article_ccd1686e-4211-11e5-a049-d702d144cc4d.html

From what I've seen so far, I would say Webster starts and plays a lot.  He's definitely stepped up his game.  And he needed to, so it's good to see.  But he starts at the 2 right now and unless he crawls in a hole, I don't see that changing.

I know many will disagree, but if Watson is not starting or ready to play the bulk of the minutes at PG, then I would rather see Tai at PG than BP.  I know that Miles has made the switch on Tai from PG to SG, but I just don't see what value BP brings over Tai at the PG, but I see a lot of value Tai could bring over BP.  Tai has drastically improved on the defensive end and towards the end of last year was one of our best defenders.  At 6'4", I actually think he is a better overall defender than BP. I felt teams last year began to expose BP and learned how to take advantage of his height.  Tai is at least a as good of a shooter (and hopefully better by now) and Tai certainly is better at driving the lane.  Neither is a particularly good ball-handler or passer, so that is a wash IMO.  Just not sure what BP brings that Tai can't, yet Tai is taller and has other abilities that BP simply does not and will not ever have.

With that said, maybe the problem is that if you put Tai at the 1, then there simply is nobody that Miles has confidence in to play the 2.  I would hope that White, or even Shields could handle that, but maybe not.  If so, that certainly limits the options and that would definitely require Tai to get a LOT of minutes because he is the only legit 2 on the team.

From what I've seen so far, I would say Webster starts and plays a lot.  He's definitely stepped up his game.  And he needed to, so it's good to see.  But he starts at the 2 right now and unless he crawls in a hole, I don't see that changing.

Maybe, or maybe not, it's the case where Tai (and perhaps also Benny) will benefit offensively from not having all of the offense go through TP.  Or maybe Tai is just finally getting adjusted to the American game.  But hopefully he will be good this year or it will be a long season.