Lack of News on Womens BB Program

HUD

Maybe it's just me but I find a lack of news about the NU Womens BB program disconcerting.  When was the last time Connie Yori had a press conference?  I believe it was at tournament time this past season.  I am constantly looking for any tidbits of info but hard to find.  Thank goodness for HHC.

If anyone needs some tips on posting Instagram, twitter, or other social media to here, I can give tips/walkthroughs.

It is also possible now to post in news conferences from Huskers.com when they are held in the future.

While I don't personally have enough time (or frankly the knowledge) to cover Women's hoops, I'm certainly willing to put together the framework for people on here willing to do so. Row6Seat10 has done a great job and frankly is the reason we even have a section.

can't swear by this, but, i don't believe it is highly unusual for this to be a rather "quiet time" for wbb. what is rather unusual is such a fantastic trip to Australia for the team and staff. if it wasn't for that trip, the "quiet time" would have been much longer, imo.

at this time of year, maybe we should be thankful for the ol' saying, "no news is good news"  ;)

With school starting Monday, getting back from That long trip and being together for that short time.  They are most likely all having some much needed "me" time before hitting the grind again.

I am sure they are still working out and such but just trying to regroup a bit.  I know I need the down time after trips.

My sister from NE sent me this link...

Women's basketball: After Australia trip, Yori excited about young players

http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/article_dcfcc2d8-aadb-5dbb-9dbf-4bcc01344720.html?mobile_touch=true

By Brent Wagner | Lincoln Journal Star

Nebraska women’s basketball coach Connie Yori will go into the season with a better feeling than she may have had otherwise after a productive summer.  Last week, the Huskers returned from a 12-day trip to Australia. NU went 1-3 in exhibition games against professional and semi-professional teams.

In the months leading up to the trip, the Huskers had about 18 practices.

“There is no way that that doesn’t help us,” Yori said. “Whether that materializes into wins and losses, I don’t know, but I know we’re ahead, especially for our young players, and we've got a lot of young players. To get an opportunity to practice as much as we did, that gives them a leg up on where they would be if it was early October before we started some of those things.”  The practice and games were unique because Nebraska played without some of its top offensive weapons in senior point guard Rachel Theriot, freshman forward Jessica Shepard and senior guard Kyndal Clark. All three are recovering from injuries but made the trip.  Shepard, who injured a knee during her final high school season, is getting closer to being cleared for live-contact drills. 

The injuries allowed several young Huskers to take on larger roles. Sophomore guard Natalie Romeo needed to score more. She took a lot of shots, but averaged 19.8 points and 3.5 assists per game. Sophomore guard Jasmine Cincore averaged 10 points, including a 15-point, nine-rebound outing in a win against the Sydney Heat. 

Freshman guard Maddie Simon from Lincoln Pius X averaged 6.5 points and 4.0 rebounds while playing nearly 30 minutes per game.  Freshman forward Rachel Blackburn was the Huskers’ third-leading scorer and rebounder with 7.5 points and 6.8 rebounds in 23 minutes per game. Redshirt freshman forward Darrien Washington averaged 5.5 points and 7.3 rebounds. Junior center Allie Havers averaged a team-best 10 rebounds. 

“I’m really excited about our youth. I’m really, really excited about the young players in our program,” Yori said. “Rachel Blackburn, Maddie Simon, Darrien Washington. I think those three freshmen showed some things. They’re going to be able to help us this year. That’s exciting, and that’s exciting for the future. We got contributions from two sophomore guards that didn’t play for us last year very much, Jasmine Cincore and Emily Wood.” 

One of the goals for the trip was to take advantage of the practice time, and Yori said the Huskers were able to get some good work done on their base offense and defense. The trip also helped develop team chemistry, and gave the players a cultural experience they may not find again. 

“I don’t know if the trip could have gone any better,” Yori said.  “We were able to visit the Great Barrier Reef, and snorkel. That was something that most folks thought was pretty special. We hiked the Sydney Harbour Bridge, which seems like a simple thing, but actually was a five-hour process. It was pretty cool to do that, and for some of us who are scared of heights, it was exceptionally challenging, but it was also very fun. We visited the Sydney Opera House, which is one of the most famous buildings in the entire world.”

Briefly

* Wood will be placed on scholarship this semester. The sophomore guard from Salina, Kansas, was the only walk-on on the team last season. 

* Athletic director Shawn Eichorst and his family joined the team for part of the trip, and Yori said it was fun to have them along. 

* The team will have a limited practice and conditioning schedule once classes begin next week, then begin full practice in October. The first exhibition game, against Nebraska-Kearney, is Nov. 1.

Believe me Dlrrk we noticed the "young guns" during NUs trip to aussie land. The fans here definately took notice of the teams games and performances....let alone the wonderful trip.

Ms Blackburn, Simon and redshirt Ms Washington...were very evident in their contributions. It was great to see them get started on the right foot. Wins or not....really didn't matter. Just as Yoru said...the playing experience puts the team well ahead of last years progress.

These three will be a lot of the nucleus of the team for several years to come, let alone this fall. They're off to a great start !

Any good words of wisdom from the 43 after her trip?

Rachel had a great time in Australia.  It was the trip of a lifetime.  Scuba diving in the Barrier Reef, bungee jumping (Rachel & Ester), and playing mini Amazing Race in Sydney were three of the trip's highlights.  

She enjoyed playing.  The last game was against what was said to be the best team, so that win was very sweet for everyone.  It was her first time with a shot clock so that was different.  The Australians do the clock a bit differently from US basketball.  She is very humble so she doesn't say much about how she thinks she played.  She had nothing but good things to say about her mates, and she's really impressed with all of them.  However, she spoke very highly of Allie Havers (spelling) and Miss Romeo. 

One of the first things I noticed upon her arrival here was that her knees had several skid/rash scabs on them...  She got those from diving after loose balls...  Those are always good to see. 

Since her arrival back here she's been running and shooting up at Leavenworth HS.  She's "rounds complete, end of mission" here tomorrow (Friday).  School starts Monday.   

• 1 month later...

I started this post two months ago and there has still been only limited releases of news on NU WBB.  My previous comment that we haven't had a press conference from Coach Yori since March still bothers me.  Its now almost 7 months and Tim Miles has had too numerous to count PC.  Info dribbling out is better then nothing but if you really want to build fan support and attendance I think you have to be more proactive in that area.  Again thank goodness for HHC.  What do you guys think?  Am I missing something?

Certianly can't argue against. 

The simple fact we're discussing it means there's a void there, and it's apparent. I guess Connie simply isn't a "hype" coach. but your point about wanting to build fan support and attendance, make since.

I know the Aussy trip took a lot of her time this summer, but even more noise about it could be benefical. 

Connie thrives mostly it seems, on being the coach, and the art of coaching. (Proven to be sucessful by the way.)

And there's the sports media people that don't go too far out of it's way to pump up the team in the media...are there any womens media people specifically reporting NU womens Bball?....can't think of many

if you google "Nebraska womens basketball articles" there are several recent articles that come up re: new recruits that have committed, how the girls played in Australia, etc.  I would love to hear more because I am a junky and like bball news but there is some stuff out there to read if you search for it.  Also, the new bios contain recent quotes from coach about each of the kids.

Certianly can't argue against.

The simple fact we're discussing it means there's a void there, and it's apparent. I guess Connie simply isn't a "hype" coach. but your point about wanting to build fan support and attendance, make since.

I know the Aussy trip took a lot of her time this summer, but even more noise about it could be benefical.

Connie thrives mostly it seems, on being the coach, and the art of coaching. (Proven to be sucessful by the way.)

And there's the sports media people that don't go too far out of it's way to pump up the team in the media...are there any womens media people specifically reporting NU womens Bball?....can't think of many

I belive jeff griech is one of the siding people.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good to see members of the team supporting other NU teams also. I saw a lot of them at the volleyball tournament last weekend and they're showing up at Hiebner Stadium supporting soccer too. They'll most likely all be at the BYU game this Saturday.

Good article......but #39...too low for our mighty team !

when i read the article, that was the first thing that "popped" into my mind. #39 seemed rather low---but, i understand it and think the article explained the situation fairly well---with youth (inexperience), and health being the main issues. it also stated they expect huskers to be pretty tough as season progresses. so, i get it.

I didn't realize Esther was going to be out for some time.  Hopefully Cincore will be back mid-November if I'm reading the article correctly.  Noticed Yori made no mention of Kalenta, or at least the paper didn't report that she did. 

I know we lost a lot from last year, but I feel pretty good going into this season.  The future is bright. 

Good to see members of the team supporting other NU teams also. I saw a lot of them at the volleyball tournament last weekend and they're showing up at Hiebner Stadium supporting soccer too. They'll most likely all be at the BYU game this Saturday.

Good article......but #39...too low for our mighty team !

when i read the article, that was the first thing that "popped" into my mind. #39 seemed rather low---but, i understand it and think the article explained the situation fairly well---with youth (inexperience), and health being the main issues. it also stated they expect huskers to be pretty tough as season progresses. so, i get it.

It's not so much where you start; rather where you finish.  ;)

(Look at MBB pre-season rating last year  redface.gif)

Good point.  It will all come out in the wash as we go through the season.  Lot's of opportunities. Still it's hard to not be very optimistic.  Best thing we can do is show up at the games if possible and cheer them on.  That also helps recruiting as we have seen in the past.

my expectations pretty much followed what the article stated. i really believe this will be a very tough team (especially at PBA) in the later half of the season (as long as health is a non-factor). imo, the sooner coach yori can establish her front court, the faster it will pay dividends. 

looking at ooc play, because of the youth of the front court (excluding havers) i think fans will see some hiccups along the way---in other words, it won't surprise me if they drop a game or two for that reason. that's why i am rooting to come out of the ooc with a  7-4, possibly 8-3 record. if they can do that, i think it puts them in a pretty good mindset going into BigTen play.