Nebraska defeats Eurocolegio Casvi, 79-64.

Now that I’ve had a chance to digest the film a bit, I have some further observations.  The clarity of the video still makes it difficult to fully absorb and synthesize what you’re seeing.  Couldn’t always see jersey numbers or make out who did what.  Sometimes couldn’t make out what just happened even when it was onscreen (and the action wasn’t always in the field of view so occasionally, one had to guess.)

Anyway, with that caveat, I offer the following:

Ed Morrow.  Whoa.  It’s just one game and he didn’t start and it’s against foreign players and a crappy video feed, but man, we got a good one here, fellows.  You can see why he had the very high ESPN ranking that he had.  The kid is the goods.

He’s a spectacular position rebounder.  And, by that, I mean he doesn’t necessarily throw a body on someone and box them out.  But he doesn’t get boxed out, either.  Instead, he finds the seams, gets into the spots where the ball is likely to land, and he goes and gets it.  He also has ability to wheel on his defender, get a step around them, and get shots off inside.  Not just dunks. 

Whoever said this kid was just about dunks needs to watch the video of this Spain game.  He gets dunks because he really understands how to screen and roll.  And he looks really comfortable at the free-throw line.  He’s not throwing up prayers when he gets fouled.  And he has this huge motor. 

I would say he was every bit as good as advertised.

Tai Webster.  OK, Tai was loving the rim in this game, which is a dimension we hadn’t seen much from him in the past.  He showed some ability to bank in some shots that reminded me a bit of Terran.  He missed the one open trey I saw him take.  I think that was his only attempt.  But he was still a game-high scorer because he was able to drive strong to the bucket.

Now, sure, it was just some Spanish flyweight team.  (Spanish fly? Cough cough Bill Cosby)  And it was just one game and it was just this or just that.  Hey, did you notice Shavon Shields was playing against these same Spaniards?  And so was Andrew White and Benny and all those other guys.  Yet, it was Tai who was driving hard and finding a way to score.  We need that out of him.  And if that builds his confidence to start nailing some treys, so much the better.

Freshman Class.  This is an impact group.  I’d say our fanbase should be absolutely giddy about what we saw from this group of freshmen.  Every single one of them is a player.  They did NOT look like a group of freshmen out there, not even Bakari Evelyn whom people had sort of said was the guy who looked the least ready.  Even Jack McVeigh, who has had virtually no practice time to adjust to Miles’ offensive or defensive schemes, stepped right in like he’d been a Husker for years.

This is the most ready-for-primetime group of freshmen I can ever remember seeing.  Shavon Shields was an impact player from day 1 (except for the elbow injury/infection).  Jake Muhleisen was basically a day 1 starter.  So was Cookie Miller.  There are other names we could put on this list of guys who showed up ready to go.  But how many arrived in the same recruiting class?  This year we have three?  Maybe four?

Unreal.  In a good way.

OK, that was the Kool-Aid part of this analysis.

Andrew White.  And, now I’m on the other side of the ledger from all the sunshine I had to say about the freshmen and Tai.  Andrew was slightly disappointing.  His first two attempts were wide-open treys and he bricked them both.  He ended up a respectable 2-5 (40%) from deep but you gotta bury the wide-open looks.  On top of that, his lateral movement on defense was a bit suspect.  But my biggest concern is his ability to finish at the rim.  On 2 pointers, he was just 2-6.  And some of those he missed badly.

That was pretty much the end of the negative for me.  Nick Fuller missed his trey.  I think he saw his future when Jack McVeigh stepped on the floor.  Would have liked to see Hammond show more on the offensive end.  Had a nice block on defense, he dropped the first bucket with a wide-open 8 footer at the start of the game.  And he got a terrific dish from McVeigh for a wide-open jam.  Didn't really see anything else from him.  Would have liked to have seen him a little more active on the offensive end, but Ed Morrow stole the show, didn't he?

All I know is Ed Morrow is one bad dude.  Quite amazing he didn't lift in high school and still plays the way he does and has the body of a seasoned college vet.  It was good to see Tai be aggressive and finish some tough shots.  It would be nice to see him hit some jump shots as come Big Ten play the ability to drive obviously will be much harder when teams don't respect your jump shot.  I'm not all that concerned with how White looked around the rim....to me it looked like quite a few of our guys were not very comfortable on that court.  It looked like they were playing on ice.