Transfers

Huskerpapa

The number of players transferring each and every year are exploding. See the following list from the end of last season. I wonder if we have any chance of picking up anyone prior to the beginning of the second semester. They would not be eligible until the second semester next season, but still, it is an option, especally if that player was another big.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18443369/2012-end-of-year-updated-transfer-list-300-plus-and-growing

I'm just curious... But why is everyone so worried about a big? I know, we've all seen seasons where we felt like we got destroyed because we were too small and didn't have a dominant force in the middle -- but Bill Walton said it last night, it's not about the big dudes any more. It's about the lightening quick guards that can make everything run.

In my opinion, and people are gonna think I'm crazy, but we would be a better team this year if we had Pressey, the PG from Missouri, than we would be if we had Zeller from Indiana. Sorry, end of rant.

I just have it in my mind that the B1G is a league of big dudes. Guys who can bang. And I remember undersized Nebraska teams getting owned in the paint.

I also have it in my mind that teams that get points in the paint generally beat teams that rely too heavily on perimeter shooting. Even among guard-oriented teams, the ones who have guys who can drive, draw and dish will generally fair better than teams who hope to free someone up on the outside.

I think a team needs to be able to do both, but a team that has a legit center and a power forward who can score is going to make it tough for a team that has one legit guy with size and a 6'7" 195# guy playing the 4. You wind up with a Rivers type matching up against a Sullinger type. Sullinger type wins that match-up.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the idea that athletic guards and wings who can score are a key part of a balanced team. But as I look at what our roster is like for next year, I think we're more set at those guard and wing spots than we are underneath.

And just look back at our game against Creighton. We have two big men getting pushed around by the Enrique kid. He goes off for a double-double against our bigs. If we had next year's roster, who guards him? I mean after Pitchford fouls out, who guards him? Vucetic? Not hardly. And the B1G has plenty of bruising bigs like the Enrique kid.

THAT's why I'm so worried about a big.

I'm just curious... But why is everyone so worried about a big? I know, we've all seen seasons where we felt like we got destroyed because we were too small and didn't have a dominant force in the middle -- but Bill Walton said it last night, it's not about the big dudes any more. It's about the lightening quick guards that can make everything run.

In my opinion, and people are gonna think I'm crazy, but we would be a better team this year if we had Pressey, the PG from Missouri, than we would be if we had Zeller from Indiana. Sorry, end of rant.

Walton is right to an extent and brain dead to to much partying to the Grateful Dead. There are a lot of teams that would be better with Pressey than with Zeller. That said, MU is a much taller team this year compared to last and while I like Parker to this point, PG this year is a weak spot, by next year it may not be and an extra big guy to bang would be nice.

To me, a big guy is only truly beneficial if he's REALLY good. Other than that they just clog the lane and don't have to be guarded when they're on the perimeter (because they typically can't shoot the 3pt).

Keep in mind this year we have 6'9" 240, and 6'10" 300 and Gregory Eichenique still destroyed them. Post defense is more about quickness, smarts, length, and effort.

So, in other words (again just my opinion), if you don't have a dominant big (Sullinger, et al) you need to spread the floor and drive it to get your paint touches. You don't need a big to get paint touches. Other guys can post up also.

To me, a big guy is only truly beneficial if he's REALLY good. Other than that they just clog the lane and don't have to be guarded when they're on the perimeter (because they typically can't shoot the 3pt).

Keep in mind this year we have 6'9" 240, and 6'10" 300 and Gregory Eichenique still destroyed them. Post defense is more about quickness, smarts, length, and effort.

So, in other words (again just my opinion), if you don't have a dominant big (Sullinger, et al) you need to spread the floor and drive it to get your paint touches. You don't need a big to get paint touches. Other guys can post up also.

I am going to respectfully disagree and say that with Zeller we would be better this season. Both Zeller and Pressey are All Americans, but I think with Zeller, with what we have this season, we would be a better team.

i think if Miles was truly concerned about this you'd see a much more aggressive effort towards getting a big. Right now it seems like we're targeting Atewe and that's it. I'm guessing we'll be going with a 4 out 1 in next year. If Vucetic can just be serviceable and Atewe commits we'll be sitting alright with Pitchford/Atewe/Vucetic at the 4/5 and Petteway/Shields/Rivers/Fuller at the 3/4. It seems like Miles is already going away from the Almeida/Ubel look now that Shields is healthy

It would be ill advised for us to cut down on Petteway, Shields, and Rivers minutes just for the sake of getting another true 4 or 5 on the court. Those are three of our best/most complete players going into next season and you do what it takes to get them in the mix, even if it means going with a "smaller" line up (Although 6'6/6'7 isn't exactly "small" in college basketball).

It won't be anything like the small line up we had to use with Doc a few years back.

There was more to the Enrique kid destroying our bigs than quicks, smarts, length and effort. It's also that he's a beast. He has deltoids the size of bowling balls. Plus he's got some skills. And the effort thing. I agree I don't want just some stiff out there. But if we could find a quality big, I'd love to have another on our roster.

And Jones, I agree with you that a big guy isn't beneficial if he's just a stiff. That's why I don't want them to just go out and get another stiff. I just don't know if there's someone good left on the board.

i think if Miles was truly concerned about this you'd see a much more aggressive effort towards getting a big. Right now it seems like we're targeting Atewe and that's it. I'm guessing we'll be going with a 4 out 1 in next year. If Vucetic can just be serviceable and Atewe commits we'll be sitting alright with Pitchford/Atewe/Vucetic at the 4/5 and Petteway/Shields/Rivers/Fuller at the 3/4. It seems like Miles is already going away from the Almeida/Ubel look now that Shields is healthy

It would be ill advised for us to cut down on Petteway, Shields, and Rivers minutes just for the sake of getting another true 4 or 5 on the court. Those are three of our best/most complete players going into next season and you do what it takes to get them in the mix, even if it means going with a "smaller" line up (Although 6'6/6'7 isn't exactly "small" in college basketball).

It won't be anything like the small line up we had to use with Doc a few years back.

Concrete, you're probably right about Miles not being so concerned about bringing in another big. That may be because he's already decided there just isn't one out there who is the kind of complete player with size, athleticism, skill and motor to really add. Kinda scary to think Petteway, Shields and Rivers will be our three best/most complete players next year. Right now, they're good players for us, but those aren't the kinds of players that, as recruits, would have been considered program changers. If those three are truly our best players next year, we're going to probably have a tough time climbing that ladder in the B1G.

well Webster is the darkhorse. If he's as good as the hype suggests, guys like Rivers, Shields, and Petteway (along with everybody else) will look that much better. We definitely aren't going to be a powerhouse next year, but we're building a competitive foundation. Baby steps. No use in wasting a scholarship to reach on a big this year, that's not how programs are built. If Atewe goes elsewhere, switch the focus to the following class. If that falls through, open up the check book and start asking guys "How much?" :D

At this point, I think Coach Miles simply wants to build an extremely competitive program. He wants the best players, athletic players, skilled players. However, to build a great program, you need a complete team. Elite teams have balance and if the opposition takes away the exterior, you need to be able to pound it inside. If you cannot slash to the hole, than you need a big that can inhale the key. In our heyday...and yes, in the late 80's and early 90's those days existed, we had that ability.

At this point, I think Coach Miles simply wants to build an extremely competitive program. He wants the best players, athletic players, skilled players. However, to build a great program, you need a complete team. Elite teams have balance and if the opposition takes away the exterior, you need to be able to pound it inside. If you cannot slash to the hole, than you need a big that can inhale the key. In our heyday...and yes, in the late 80's and early 90's those days existed, we had that ability.

And, if I could quote Grandpa, "Are those stalks leaning, or am I" ;)