Overseas Trip

5 scholarship Freshmen production (percent vs team total)

FG made: 45 (38.8%)

FG att: 102 (38.1%)

3PT FG made: 6 (40%)

3PT FG att: 24 (35.3%)

FT made: 26 (33.8%)

FT att: 37 (33.3%)

Rebounds: 85 (45.5%)

Offensive Reb: 36 (51.4%)

Defensive Reb: 49 (41.9%)

Assists: 21 (46.7%)

Turnovers: 35 (38.9%)

Steals: 7 (18.4%)

Blocks: 5 (55.6%)

FG percentage:

Freshmen 44.1%, Upperclassmen 42.8% 

3PT percentage:

Freshmen 25.0%, Upperclassmen 20.5%

FT percentage:

Freshmen 70.3%, Upperclassmen 68.9%

Here are the box scores for BYU so far

BYU made the tourney as an 11th seed last year but no idea how good they'll be this year.

They had a much easier time pulling away from Casvi and throttled Albacete in the second half.

While it's encouraging that we went 4-0 and I saw better team ball than last year, you have to think that we're probably behind BYU at this particular moment.  We have about 3 months before we travel to Villinova to see where we're really at.

I see BYU had only 16 turnovers vs Casvi after we had 24 - perhaps we took the phantom Euro travel call with us when we left the arena   ;)

I would agree that BYU should be farther along than us at this point, but hopefully we have the greater ceiling.

BYU hit 20 three pointers in the first two games.  I would say that is probably the biggest difference between the two teams at this point.  We just don't have very many deep threats. 

BYU made the tourney as an 11th seed last year but no idea how good they'll be this year.

They had a much easier time pulling away from Casvi and throttled Albacete in the second half.

While it's encouraging that we went 4-0 and I saw better team ball than last year, you have to think that we're probably behind BYU at this particular moment.  We have about 3 months before we travel to Villinova to see where we're really at.

Also there is the caveat that the squads don't always have the same rosters and one can definitely look into summer trip performances way too much.

I'll keep posting the BYU results as they come though as they're at the very least something relevant

I see BYU had only 16 turnovers vs Casvi after we had 24 - perhaps we took the phantom Euro travel call with us when we left the arena   ;)

I would agree that BYU should be farther along than us at this point, but hopefully we have the greater ceiling.

BYU hit 20 three pointers in the first two games.  I would say that is probably the biggest difference between the two teams at this point.  We just don't have very many deep threats. 

Agreed - I also am confident White won't be 3-for-17 on 3s at any stretch during the season like he was in Spain. It's a matter of finding a couple of other deep threats to add to White, whether that's new guys like McVeigh and Jacobson or guys like Shields finding his stroke or Benny and Watson stepping up and hitting 1 or 2 a game, just to keep teams more honest & open up those driving lanes.

Regardless it was a rough performance from the longer 3-pt stripe in Spain all around & represents the primary area of concern coming out of the trip for me. I figured rebounding would be our biggest problem before the trip, but I clanged that prediction off the iron and over the backboard.  ;)

Agreed - I also am confident White won't be 3-for-17 on 3s at any stretch during the season like he was in Spain. 

Stephen Curry went three consecutive playoff games going 3-11, 2-6, and 2-15 from 3.

My point is that even the best shooters will have consecutive off nights so I can't share your confidence.

Agreed - I also am confident White won't be 3-for-17 on 3s at any stretch during the season like he was in Spain. It's a matter of finding a couple of other deep threats to add to White, whether that's new guys like McVeigh and Jacobson or guys like Shields finding his stroke or Benny and Watson stepping up and hitting 1 or 2 a game, just to keep teams more honest & open up those driving lanes.

Regardless it was a rough performance from the longer 3-pt stripe in Spain all around & represents the primary area of concern coming out of the trip for me. I figured rebounding would be our biggest problem before the trip, but I clanged that prediction off the iron and over the backboard.  ;)

Here's Andrew White's stats with respect to minutes played and 3 point shooting at Kansas in 2013 and 2014, split into the beginning of the season and the rest of the year.

Minutes  3PM-3PA     3P%

2013    1st 8 games       39      7-15     46.7%

2013    Last 27 games     86      3-21     14.2%

2014    1st 4 games       45      7-12     58.3%

2014    Last 31 games     68      1-13      7.7%

Hopefully it's a case of him worrying about getting playing time with all the talent at KU, and pressuring himself to make an impact when he got in a game.

Not that it's a fair comparison, but it's the closest proxy that we have:

Opponent                                         Nebraska               BYU          Margin (NU/BYU)

Eurocolegio Casvi                              W    79-64          W    95-74            15 / 21

Albacete Basket                                 W    66-63          W    75-52              3 / 23

European Basketball Academy          W  106-73          W  102-74            33 / 28

CB Castelldefels                                 W    71-65          W    82-55             6 / 27

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, 49r said:

I didn't see a thread on our upcoming trip this summer and I didn't think a new thread was totally necessary so I'm necro-bumping this one just to mention, guess who else is going to Italy this summer???

Our tour dates are Aug. 3-13 and ISU's are Aug. 10-20.  Hmmm . . .