Overseas Trip

there'll be a lot of guys that our conference mates have zero scouting footage on, which should play to our advantage. The coaches think Thomas will be the team's best defender; our new juco signee that no one has heard of is the most athletic guy on the team probably. The question about this year's team will be who steps up as a go to guy. In terms of athletic ability and shooting this roster is quite a bit more talented than last year's

Ok. Good for the Jays.

But . . . optimism always abounds in the summertime when every team is still undefeated. That's true for the Jays. It's true for the Huskers. And it's true for everyone else.

Yet, I can't imagine the grief Huskers would be receiving if a 2.5 star Composit Rating freshman is our "best defender" and a juco "no one has ever heard of" is probably "the most athletic guy on the team." What about that nearly-five-star seven footer; and what about those sat-out transfer world-beaters?

But, hey, that's why they play the game. And that's what keeps us all coming back. And that's what keeps message boards like this humming.

Basketball players are basketball players... the coaches knew they liked Khryi and his game. It doesn't, and shouldn't, matter what is recruiting ranking is. Albert has a 40+inch vert (according to piv who's been to every Italy practice) and can shoot well from deep. Again, doesn't matter that his reputation doesn't necessarily match what he will bring to the court. He had offers from Memphis, Pitt, Purdue and Oregon. The transfers are given the benefit of the doubt that they will perform well; Cole Huff should be the most productive newcomer and Maurice Watson will easily fill the shoes of Chatman and hopefully then some

Patton will probably redshirt, he's too thin to play center in the big east at this point. To shield against any remarks you all might have in response to us redshirting a 5 star prospect...again a player is what they bring to the court not their recruiting ranking. The recruiting guys that watched patton know how good a player he can become and that's why he is rated so highly

Look, at the end of the day, I know i'm not gonna change any of your minds about how well Creighton will perform this year. But, objectively speaking, we have more shooters than we did last year. We are a lot more athletic than last year. We will also have more depth. My realistic expectation is a NIT bid, we could make the tournament if the guys really gel early and someone (Huff most likely) steps up to be a go to guy

Have you seen your new JUCO player on the court? He is a tooth pick and will no doubt have issues come conference time due to his size. He needs to eat a sandwich before he withers away. I can't say for certain on Thomas...my guess is if your best defender is a true freshman you all will struggle again during conference play. But then again...every player that comes thru your program is all world in the summer time. At this time last year Leon Gilmore was the most athletic player every to step foot on campus. I'm sure you all will be better....I still don't trust McDermott to get it done in major league though. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just hope the guys are ready this year.  For all the bellyaching we do about them, they have owned us as of late.  Last year was supposed to have been the year we put the end to all that.  Gonna be very tough to beat them on the road this year. 

Just hope the guys are ready this year.  For all the bellyaching we do about them, they have owned us as of late.  Last year was supposed to have been the year we put the end to all that.  Gonna be very tough to beat them on the road this year. 

Win or lose, my disdain for Creighton will always be the same.  

Just hope the guys are ready this year. For all the bellyaching we do about them, they have owned us as of late. Last year was supposed to have been the year we put the end to all that. Gonna be very tough to beat them on the road this year.

I'm not sure why you are acting like you are not a Creighton fan. It's pretty clear by your posting history you root for them. I'm sure you are right that we won't beat them on the road. But them beating us doesn't mean they are world beaters. I guess we will see, but every year coming out of the summer they have a sweet 16 team.

Just hope the guys are ready this year. For all the bellyaching we do about them, they have owned us as of late. Last year was supposed to have been the year we put the end to all that. Gonna be very tough to beat them on the road this year.

I'm not sure why you are acting like you are not a Creighton fan. It's pretty clear by your posting history you root for them. I'm sure you are right that we won't beat them on the road. But them beating us doesn't mean they are world beaters. I guess we will see, but every year coming out of the summer they have a sweet 16 team.

Sorry but i feel obligated to respond. All world? Sweet 16? If you took the time to read my post you would have seen my expectation was a NIT bid. Do you go over and lurk on BJU? A poll conducted showed most posters thought we'd finish 6th this year in the conference. Don't know where you're getting the idea we think we will be a top 25 team, much less sweet 16. Anyone who thinks CU makes the sweet sixteen next year is delusional and their opinion is completely irrelevant to this discussion

re: khyri thomas, last year's best defender was a 5'9 point guard who played 38 minutes a game and gave up, on average, 3 inches and 30 pounds every night at his position. Didn't take a basketball expert to see we did not have a single good one on one defender....

How about we get this thread back on track? Does anyone know if any of these games in Spain will be televised or available to watch streaming or archived? I know we're not a big name like Kentucky or Duke, so ESPN won't likely be televising any of the games, but obviously we'd all love to get a look at this year's team, and I don't plan to fly to Spain. I'm really hoping something will be available to see. I can't wait to get a look at the new guys.

Let's break it down:

Today is the final day of evaluating HS kids.  Back to campus for the coaches.

The second summer semester is already in progress and ends August 14th. McVeigh can't go until he completes his classes and we know he plans to go, so the trip is probably starting August 14th-16th. (Has anyone announced the dates of the trip?).

Between now and August 14th..basically 3 weeks, the Huskers are allowed 10 practices. The first practice is going to be this week and very well might be tomorrow...keep your eyes peeled on twitter for confirmation.

The fall semester starts August 24th.  The Huskers probably get back Saturday/Sunday after a week in Spain.

there'll be a lot of guys that our conference mates have zero scouting footage on, which should play to our advantage. The coaches think Thomas will be the team's best defender; our new juco signee that no one has heard of is the most athletic guy on the team probably. The question about this year's team will be who steps up as a go to guy. In terms of athletic ability and shooting this roster is quite a bit more talented than last year's

Ok. Good for the Jays.

But . . . optimism always abounds in the summertime when every team is still undefeated. That's true for the Jays. It's true for the Huskers. And it's true for everyone else.

Yet, I can't imagine the grief Huskers would be receiving if a 2.5 star Composit Rating freshman is our "best defender" and a juco "no one has ever heard of" is probably "the most athletic guy on the team." What about that nearly-five-star seven footer; and what about those sat-out transfer world-beaters?

But, hey, that's why they play the game. And that's what keeps us all coming back. And that's what keeps message boards like this humming.

I don't think you can put a lot into rankings when it comes to Khyri Thomas.  The fact of the matter is that everyone knew he wasn't going to be eligible coming out of high school, which kept several evaluators, not to mention potential suitors, away.  Add to that very big strike one, the fact that he is from low population Nebraska (strike two) and his chance to get evaluated goes down even  more.  Look at the difficulty TreShawn Thurman had getting any exposure for further evidence of this. Having seen Thurman a great deal last year, I feel comfortable saying that he could easily be a rotation player with either the Jays or Nebraska.  I think Khyri Thomas is the same situation - the kid is high major talent, with an incredible work ethic and a strong desire to get better.  I've known Thomas for a long time and he is a natural leader and really, really good kid.

I should also add to my previous post that Thomas is a bit of a leader in the black community in Omaha and is well liked by his peers.  Kids have always flocked to him as he has a great deal of natural charisma and is extremely likeable.  I admit that I am pretty happy for him that he got his academics in order at the military academy and now has a chance to live out his dream playing D1 basketball, regardless of the program.  He is the type of kid that Nebraska residents should take pride in...

Ok. Good for the Jays.

I don't think you can put a lot into rankings when it comes to Khyri Thomas.  The fact of the matter is that everyone knew he wasn't going to be eligible coming out of high school, which kept several evaluators, not to mention potential suitors, away.  Add to that very big strike one, the fact that he is from low population Nebraska (strike two) and his chance to get evaluated goes down even  more.  Look at the difficulty TreShawn Thurman had getting any exposure for further evidence of this. Having seen Thurman a great deal last year, I feel comfortable saying that he could easily be a rotation player with either the Jays or Nebraska.  I think Khyri Thomas is the same situation - the kid is high major talent, with an incredible work ethic and a strong desire to get better.  I've known Thomas for a long time and he is a natural leader and really, really good kid.

That would all be true...if Thomas didn't go to prep school...In Virginia.  But he did, and played at national showcases given him the opportunity to get recognized(again).  What came from that was an offer from Creighton and his next best offer UNO .  He may turn out to be a good player, I don't know...I've never had a chance to watch him play...but please don't act like he didn't have the chance to garner other high major offers.  Thurman didn't go to prep school...if he did, my guess is he wouldn't be playing at UNO. 

Let's break it down:

The second summer semester is already in progress and ends August 14th. McVeigh can't go until he completes his classes and we know he plans to go, so the trip is probably starting August 14th-16th. (Has anyone announced the dates of the trip?).

Between now and August 14th..basically 3 weeks, the Huskers are allowed 10 practices. The first practice is going to be this week and very well might be tomorrow...keep your eyes peeled on twitter for confirmation.

The fall semester starts August 24th.  The Huskers probably get back Saturday/Sunday after a week in Spain.

Would be nice to know if Morrow and Bakari are going to be able to give it a go....the 10 practices are going to be crucial for the freshman as we are going to need 2-3 of them to give major minutes this year. 

Let's break it down:

Would be nice to know if Morrow and Bakari are going to be able to give it a go....the 10 practices are going to be crucial for the freshman as we are going to need 2-3 of them to give major minutes this year. 

It would be nice to see a recent picture of Morrow not in a scooter

Let's break it down:

Today is the final day of evaluating HS kids. Back to campus for the coaches.

The fall semester starts August 24th. The Huskers probably get back Saturday/Sunday after a week in Spain.

Would be nice to know if Morrow and Bakari are going to be able to give it a go....the 10 practices are going to be crucial for the freshman as we are going to need 2-3 of them to give major minutes this year.

Yes some practice updates (when they start) with the injury recovery status of these two would great.

Ok. Good for the Jays.

He's one of my favorite players that's come out of the state in a while. He's really, really good. CU got a gem, albeit a hidden one. Doubt that he'll stay hidden for long, though.