SIAP - Any rumors or talk about who the new

The angst is that the staff is down one recruiter during the key recruiting period of the year.

I don't think this is a true statement.  I seem to recall Miles mentioning that one of his other guys stepped up into the recruiting role after Harriman left.  I have to assume we've got it covered again.  Do you know for sure that we're down a guy on the road right now?

Seems to me, more I think about it, elevating the internal candidate to an interim AC makes the most sense.  I'm sure we had one of the other staff members out recruiting in place of Harriman after Chris left.  If you send that guy back out now, it's going to have more umph with potential recruits if you can call him an assistant coach than if you just say he's filling in for now while we're waiting to hire another assistant.

Promote the internal guy on an interim basis.  Let him have the title.  And see what he can do.  For all we know, he's the next Craig Smith.

Eaton's on the road now, he was on the road in the gap between when Harriman left and Burno was hired. He'd be the favorite if they decide to go to the interim route, which seems likely at this point.

The angst is that the staff is down one recruiter during the key recruiting period of the year.

I don't think this is a true statement.  I seem to recall Miles mentioning that one of his other guys stepped up into the recruiting role after Harriman left.  I have to assume we've got it covered again.  Do you know for sure that we're down a guy on the road right now?

Seems to me, more I think about it, elevating the internal candidate to an interim AC makes the most sense.  I'm sure we had one of the other staff members out recruiting in place of Harriman after Chris left.  If you send that guy back out now, it's going to have more umph with potential recruits if you can call him an assistant coach than if you just say he's filling in for now while we're waiting to hire another assistant.

Promote the internal guy on an interim basis.  Let him have the title.  And see what he can do.  For all we know, he's the next Craig Smith.

A lot of guys make decisions to attend schools based on the assistant that has been recruiting them. 

We certainly can keep the same number of eyes and ears on the road but not having that last coach hired during a key recruiting period is a disadvantage. 

A lot of guys make decisions to attend schools based on the assistant that has been recruiting them. 

We certainly can keep the same number of eyes and ears on the road but not having that last coach hired during a key recruiting period is a disadvantage. 

Well, officially give him the "interim" tag, then.  Or just call it a promotion without the "interim" label at least in public. 

Burno kind of fell into our laps and then fell out of our laps just as quickly.  There aren't college coaches getting lured to the NBA at this juncture so the likelihood of another Burno becoming available this recruiting cycle as about nil.

I'm not surprised that it's Eaton because Miles doesn't seem like the guy who would want to make a hire right now. It would also be very upsetting to the coach whose AC he poached, and that's a small fraternity. Hurley Jr. obviously didn't give a crap, but I feel Miles is prone to being more respectful of his fellow coaches and unlikely to put them in a bad spot and create a domino effect at this time that would also impact other coaches.

My hope is that it's only Eaton for one year. Nothing against the guy. It's just that the University has shown that they're willing to pay $250K or more for that spot, and at that price you can get a big-time experienced coach who's a top-flight recruiter. Eaton is not that. In fact, he's never coached basketball before at the college level. I just feel that a coach like that should be cutting his teeth at a much lower-tier program unless this is strictly for the 2015-2016 season.

If it really is Eaton, then Hooper's probably right about waiting to fill that role with the right person. He's done it before and he's shown us time and time again that there's no rush. He'd rather fill the role with the right person. I could see Miles as using this opportunity to give Eaton a shot at a real resume boost and a great learning experience to propel his career in the coaching community.

Hearing it's probably going to be Greg Eaton....... Exciting

Tell me why this is exciting. Not saying it isn't or can't be, just have nothing to base anything on.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic!

lol okay, I thought maybe you knew something I could not find.  I know I am wondering what a Video Coordinator can bring to the table recruiting and coaching.

I'm not surprised that it's Eaton because Miles doesn't seem like the guy who would want to make a hire right now. It would also be very upsetting to the coach whose AC he poached, and that's a small fraternity. Hurley Jr. obviously didn't give a crap, but I feel Miles is prone to being more respectful of his fellow coaches and unlikely to put them in a bad spot and create a domino effect at this time that would also impact other coaches.

My hope is that it's only Eaton for one year. Nothing against the guy. It's just that the University has shown that they're willing to pay $250K or more for that spot, and at that price you can get a big-time experienced coach who's a top-flight recruiter. Eaton is not that. In fact, he's never coached basketball before at the college level. I just feel that a coach like that should be cutting his teeth at a much lower-tier program unless this is strictly for the 2015-2016 season.

I understand not wanting to screw over some other coaching staff but I hope that isn't holding us back on potentially hiring someone that we want. This is a big boy league and we pay big boy money specifically for this purpose.

I don't know if Eaton can identify and land talent for this level...hopefully his initial stint this summer can clarify that for Miles and co. If he does get tabbed it very well might be just for a year but hopefully they aren't dumb enough to advertise that because then you just cut a guy's legs out from under him. If nothing else, you don't have another year of brand new assistant to deal with...you have a guy who knows the system and the staff. From what I know he can coach and scout....if he's our guy hopefully he can also recruit.

If it really is Eaton, then Hooper's probably right about waiting to fill that role with the right person. He's done it before and he's shown us time and time again that there's no rush. He'd rather fill the role with the right person. I could see Miles as using this opportunity to give Eaton a shot at a real resume boost and a great learning experience to propel his career in the coaching community.

If I was Eaton -- and I'm not, just in case any of you were wondering -- I'd jump at a chance to burnish my resume like this.  I think uneblinstu or someone suggested it would be sort of bush league for Miles to promote the guy for only a year.  I don't get that.  If the guy understands going in that it's a 1-year deal and HE'S OK with it, who are we to complain? 

These guys are all hoping to advance their careers and I very much doubt that Eaton plans on being a video guy his whole career.  Being promoted to the level of an assistant even for a year will solidify his resume and help him move up the ranks.  So, just from a perspective of career advancement, this would represent a good opportunity for Eaton.

From Miles' perspective, it seems like a logical move as well.  From what's been reported, Miles apparently sent Eaton out on the recruiting road to be basically the third assistant between Harriman and Burno.  I'm assuming he's back out there post-Burno.  If I'm not mistaken, he came with Miles from CSU, so he's been on Miles' staff for a number of years.  By this point, I mean, you know what you have and whether he's capable of bridging the gap until next year when you can do a real search.

At this point, seriously, what can you expect to find that you can have any sort of comfort level would be any better than the guy who's been filling in?  This isn't the time of year when guys are looking for jobs.  There isn't going to be a Burno-caliber guy that we can poach from anywhere.  So, if Eaton is down with being a 1-year assistant, I'd move forward with it and just give him the promotion so that he can start building more solid relationships with recruits.

I understand not wanting to screw over some other coaching staff but I hope that isn't holding us back on potentially hiring someone that we want. This is a big boy league and we pay big boy money specifically for this purpose.

I don't know if Eaton can identify and land talent for this level...hopefully his initial stint this summer can clarify that for Miles and co. If he does get tabbed it very well might be just for a year but hopefully they aren't dumb enough to advertise that because then you just cut a guy's legs out from under him. If nothing else, you don't have another year of brand new assistant to deal with...you have a guy who knows the system and the staff. From what I know he can coach and scout....if he's our guy hopefully he can also recruit.

Unless you give him the title, it's probably a little tough to evaluate his ability to land talent.  Was he involved with any recruits before Burno was hired?  If so, it kinda wrecks your continuity if you're suddenly pulled off the road for however many weeks while Burno takes over and maybe goes a totally different direction.  Then Burno's gone and you have to try picking back up where you or Burno left off?

I think that's another reason that, if it were me -- and I'm not Miles, either, in case anyone wondered -- I'd just roll with Eaton at this point and try to get some continuity going.  Switching back and forth a number of times isn't a good thing either.

If I was Eaton -- and I'm not, just in case any of you were wondering -- I'd jump at a chance to burnish my resume like this.  I think uneblinstu or someone suggested it would be sort of bush league for Miles to promote the guy for only a year.  I don't get that.  If the guy understands going in that it's a 1-year deal and HE'S OK with it, who are we to complain? 

These guys are all hoping to advance their careers and I very much doubt that Eaton plans on being a video guy his whole career.  Being promoted to the level of an assistant even for a year will solidify his resume and help him move up the ranks.  So, just from a perspective of career advancement, this would represent a good opportunity for Eaton.

From Miles' perspective, it seems like a logical move as well.  From what's been reported, Miles apparently sent Eaton out on the recruiting road to be basically the third assistant between Harriman and Burno.  I'm assuming he's back out there post-Burno.  If I'm not mistaken, he came with Miles from CSU, so he's been on Miles' staff for a number of years.  By this point, I mean, you know what you have and whether he's capable of bridging the gap until next year when you can do a real search.

At this point, seriously, what can you expect to find that you can have any sort of comfort level would be any better than the guy who's been filling in?  This isn't the time of year when guys are looking for jobs.  There isn't going to be a Burno-caliber guy that we can poach from anywhere.  So, if Eaton is down with being a 1-year assistant, I'd move forward with it and just give him the promotion so that he can start building more solid relationships with recruits.

Prior to a month ago I might have said Eaton was content staying on at Nebraska in some capacity just because his wife is from Papio, went to NU and had worked at the school in the AD since 2005.  But now that she got a new job the possibility of a move seems a little more likely to advance his career should that happen.  Should he get the nod for this season that could potentially boost that resume quite a bit.

Yeah, it was me. And I've cooled on that the more I've thought about it. For Eaton it'd be a great opportunity that many in his position never get a chance to do. Even if it is only as an "interim", for someone in his position, that is invaluable experience. I interpreted what someone was saying differently than what I think was intended and it struck me funny back when this all was fresh.

Unless you give him the title, it's probably a little tough to evaluate his ability to land talent. 

A month or two on the road probably isn't going to be concrete but it's going to tell you a lot about what you need to know going forward. It currently seems to say a lot about Eaton that he was the guy picked to go out on the road and once again the guy back out there.

Time will tell if this was a good move.

If what was a good move?

If Eaton is promoted up

Time will tell if this actually happens

I know people hate the grammar police, but this whole misunderstanding could have been avoided simply by changing "was" to "is" in the upper post.

This is serious, people.  Lives have been lost due to bad grammar. 

Will you all join me in pledging to "get it write" [sic]?  #notonemoredeathduetobadgrammar

If what was a good move?

If Eaton is promoted up

But when will it happen??? It's Eaton me up!

Just so we're all on the same page, a bad pun is not the same thing as bad grammar.

Is that any better with: it's "Terran" me up inside!? ;)

If what was a good move?

If Eaton is promoted up

I know people hate the grammar police, but this whole misunderstanding could have been avoided simply by changing "was" to "is" in the upper post.

This is serious, people.  Lives have been lost due to bad grammar. 

Will you all join me in pledging to "get it write" [sic]?  #notonemoredeathduetobadgrammar

Was - Is - were