Under Armour?

I don't think Suh's influence is one sided.

Do you know of Suh influencing the athletic department's administration towards a switch to Nike or are these just assumptions you're making because he and business partners are opening a Nike store adjacent to campus?

I will readily admit much of my thoughts come from tea leaf reading and a little understanding of how these things can work.

That being said, I talked to someone I know who has knowledge of this and his comments reflected yours. I'll back off my insistence on this one.

• 5 months later...

I don't understand why anyone would have thought that the NikeTown or whatever goes there has much to anything to do with our athletic gear provider. They'll let someone put in a JC Penneys if they get enough money for it.

I don't understand why anyone would have thought that the NikeTown or whatever goes there has much to anything to do with our athletic gear provider. They'll let someone put in a JC Penneys if they get enough money for it.

I doubt adidas was a big fan of NikeTown being "on campus." It's not a stretch to see the PR part of this as perception can be seen as reality oftentimes.

And, it's probably more a personal preference issue than ever a statement of fact in the matter. Again, perception can be reality in the eyes of the consumer.

• 3 weeks later...

Cal will be going from 150k per year to now having $3.5M with UA (in '17).

https://twitter.com/CalAthletics/status/723552012864868352

Was their previous contract from the 90s?

The 1890's maybe.

That's the "cash" part only, fellas.

Yes, there is a cash part and an apparel/equipment part of the contract.  Wouldn't surprise me if UA's equipment deal was far better than Nike's, too. The sponsorship contracts just keep getting larger and larger over time.  Deals expire and new, larger deals are signed.  And although it might seem like UA is blowing Nike out of the water, in actuality the Swoosh is just choosing its battles.  Last summer, they signed Michigan to a $169M deal so they'll still be making plenty of navy and gold apparel.  The next month, they announced a $1B deal with the NBA.

Nike has a $7.1B in sponsorship commitment.  Cal is pretty insignificant to Nike as a whole.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bump a thread by Kearneyman....but UCLA inked a 15 year 280 Million deal with Under Armour today.  I'm sure the Huskers will look to get paid when the Adidas deal runs out.  I would not be opposed to going to Under Armour apparel.   

They also recently inked a deal with Nebraska Star Beef to provide their student athletes with our beef sticks.  We started out with the Huskers, and now my nephew has gotten our sticks into 12 Power 5 Conference schools!  If you haven't tried them, you should.  :)

And, no, they're not at Creighton.  If they ever approached us, we'd have to sit down as a family and discuss this one....  

However, we are now one of the marque Adidas schools now.  Money is certainly a factor, as is the ability to market the product/team.  But would you rather be a big fish in the Adidas pond or a smaller fish in the Under Armour or Nike pond?

Whichever pond is giving us the most $$$ is the correct answer.