Paschal Chukwu 2015 C Providence transfer -> Syracuse

Anyone thinking we have any chance of landing any highly sought-after recruit is seriously deranged. Just ask those who thought we might land such recruits as Andrew White, and Ed Morrow, and Glynn Watson, and Anton Gill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 6'7" or under. The issue is being able to sign quality bigs, not quality players in general. I would have laughed at anyone who suggested three years ago that Brandon Ubel was better than any big man we'd sign over the next three years, but that is the likely reality, and it's frankly incredibly disappointing. This glaring deficiency has held the program back and will continue to do so. It's frustrating.

The year before coming to NU, Miles recruited 6'10" Colton Iverson (a future NBA draft pick) to CSU from the Minnesota Gophers. 

Then he recruited Leslee Smith to Nebraska (not so tall but definitely a "big")--until injuries in the late-season forced him to move "like an old man" (Miles' description), we were all amazed and applauding this great recruiting find.  Even though a blown knee destroyed much of last season for Leslee Smith, the one game he actually played 30 minutes resulted in a Husker victory over Michigan St.

Along the way, Miles recruited Walter Pitchford (6'10") to the Huskers.  Though inconsistent and a disappointment in the end, Pitchford showed great promise and had important productions in crucial victories.

Then, Miles recruited Old Testament, another "big."  Right before breaking his hand (which ended most of the rest of his season), Abraham moved into a starting role--and we were +19 with him in the game.

Miles also recruited Jake Hammond (6'10")--the jury is still out on him, but the staff expresses strong belief in his future.

Edward Morrow played the Center position for much of his high school career--and he more than held his own against superior competition. 

Anyone thinking we have any chance of landing any highly sought-after recruit is seriously deranged. Just ask those who thought we might land such recruits as Andrew White, and Ed Morrow, and Glynn Watson, and Anton Gill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 6'7" or under. The issue is being able to sign quality bigs, not quality players in general. I would have laughed at anyone who suggested three years ago that Brandon Ubel was better than any big man we'd sign over the next three years, but that is the likely reality, and it's frankly incredibly disappointing. This glaring deficiency has held the program back and will continue to do so. It's frustrating.

Those really big guys (6'10" or taller) are so highly sought after because there are so few of them.  Especially the ones who can run and jump and grab rebounds and maybe even do a little hook shot here or there. 

We got a visit.  That's a positive first step.  The more visits we get, the better our chances of actually landing one of these guys.

But we have to get a visit to get our foot in the door. 

So, while some of you might wish to look at this as another recruiting fail, I choose to look at the fact that we were in the thick of it with KU, Virginia, Syracuse and Michigan State.  That's damn good company right there.

While it's disappointing we didn't close, getting involved with a highly-sought-after kid enough to be among his visits is an important step in the right direction.  To paraphrase Lord Tennyson, 'tis better to have been in the mix and lost than never to have been in the mix at all.

Norm, I understand that legit big men in basketball are just like legit DTs in football. Everyone needs them and there aren't that many good ones. What bugs me a bit is turning on the TV time and time again over the past few years and seeing legit bigs on a lot of lower-tier basketball teams. I'm talking about teams you might find in the 200-350 range of the Pomeroy rankings. I consistently see legit big men on these teams who are better than anyone we have, and it frankly doesn't add up to me. It's like the Curse of Fahro Alihodzic or something.

Swan, Leslee was a nice player, and I'd love to have him on the roster this year, but he has very poor hands and not a lot of offensive game. Moses was a very stiff player with hands that made Smith's look like Jerry Rice's. Injuries or not, he was a very marginal player athletically.

Walter is only a "big" based on his size. Mentally, he's a two guard. I played basketball with my girlfriend's 8-year-old son last week, and he has more post moves than Walt does.

I'm still very much a Tim Miles supporter, and I'm hopeful that Rashon Burno can be the guy who turns the tide on this issue, but so far it's been very disappointing. I'm not asking for a Jahlil Okafor or Joel Embiid. Just give me a Brandon Ubel or Fahro Alihodzic and I'd be satisfied. That honestly doesn't seem like too much to ask.

I am so tired of our players having to play out of position because our inability to sign a true big.  Maric was our last legit Center.... That was a long a$$ time ago guys!

I want Morrow to be able to play his true 4 position,  Having him play the 5 is going for mess him up and take him out of his comfort zone.  We "NEED" Hammond to step up and play some big quality minutes this year.  This is going to be the 2008-2009 season all over again!

We have one damn guy over 6'8 on this roster.  Maybe we get lucky, and Jacobson grows a couple more inches.  I know Paschal would of had to sit out this year, but losing him sucks real freaking bad.

What bugs me a bit is turning on the TV time and time again over the past few years and seeing legit bigs on a lot of lower-tier basketball teams. I'm talking about teams you might find in the 200-350 range of the Pomeroy rankings. I consistently see legit big men on these teams who are better than anyone we have, and it frankly doesn't add up to me. It's like the Curse of Fahro Alihodzic or something.

I'm not sure that it was as much those guys being legit big men as it was being guarded by Walter P for Three that made them look like legit big men.   :o

Hmmm, interesting question to ponder:  Were they really all that good or did they just look it because they were being guarded by Walt?

I don't know the answer to that.  I really don't.

What bugs me a bit is turning on the TV time and time again over the past few years and seeing legit bigs on a lot of lower-tier basketball teams. I'm talking about teams you might find in the 200-350 range of the Pomeroy rankings. I consistently see legit big men on these teams who are better than anyone we have, and it frankly doesn't add up to me. It's like the Curse of Fahro Alihodzic or something.

I'm not sure that it was as much those guys being legit big men as it was being guarded by Walter P for Three that made them look like legit big men.   :o

Hmmm, interesting question to ponder:  Were they really all that good or did they just look it because they were being guarded by Walt?

I don't know the answer to that.  I really don't.

I'm not only talking about Husker opponents, but random games I've watched (mostly due to betting on them).  :D

I am so tired of our players having to play out of position because our inability to sign a true big.  Maric was our last legit Center.... That was a long a$$ time ago guys!

I want Morrow to be able to play his true 4 position,  Having him play the 5 is going for mess him up and take him out of his comfort zone.  We "NEED" Hammond to step up and play some big quality minutes this year.  This is going to be the 2008-2009 season all over again!

We have one damn guy over 6'8 on this roster.  Maybe we get lucky, and Jacobson grows a couple more inches.  I know Paschal would of had to sit out this year, but losing him sucks real freaking bad.

Here are the total season stats for the scholarship players from the last 20+ years who were 6'9" or over and played as true freshmen at Nebraska.

Year    Player            MIN    PTS    REB    BLK

2015    Jake Hammond       36      3      7      2

2013    Sergej Vucetic     18      8      2      0

2010    Brandon Ubel      507    142     51      5

2005    Aleks Maric       562    216    169     16

2003    Wes Wilkinson     296     53     55      6

2003    Roy Enright        48      5      7      0

2002    John Turek        571    136    155     39

2002    Dan Heimos        150     24     17     10

1998    Brant Harriman    336     63     81     19

1996    Venson Hamilton   467    196    161     39

1994    Mikki Moore        87     31     13     10

Hopefully Hammond's improvement mirrors Mikki Moore's, but he's got big strides to make before you can expect him to be a major contributor this season.