Blunt is in trouble

Bugeaters1

Former IU women's basketball players file suit

Not sure how Bollant will survive this.

Seven former Illini women’s basketball players have sued the University of Illinois, alleging coach Matt Bollant and former assistant Mike Divilbiss created a racially hostile environment in violation of the Federal Civil Rights Act.

Among the allegations: 

— Coaches held segregated practices

— Coaches prohibited white players from rooming with black players on road trips

— When the Illini played predominantly black teams, the coaches asked the black players what they thought the other team was going to do. When the Illini played predominantly white teams, the coaches asked the white players.

— The coaches called predominantly black teams “undisciplined and unintelligent” while referring to predominantly white teams as “disciplined and intelligent. 

— Calling one or more of the black plaintiffs unintelligent, undisciplined and “west-side ghetto.”

— Coaches held more severe discipline for black players and white players despite similar conduct.

— The coaches encouraged or helped the “favored” white players improve when they played poorly, while black players and white teammates who associated with them were “insulted, denigrated, demeaned, demoralized and/or embarrassed” if they made mistakes. The coaches also addressed the players in a denigrating manner in team meetings and practices. The conduct was designed to coerce the plaintiffs to quit the team, surrender their scholarships or transfer, the lawsuit said.

— Coaches held more severe discipline for black players than white players despite similar conduct.

Parents of players named in the suit declined comment on advice of their attorney. When reached by The News-Gazette, Divilbiss also declined comment.

Former IU women's basketball players file suit

Not sure how Bollant will survive this.

Seven former Illini women’s basketball players have sued the University of Illinois, alleging coach Matt Bollant and former assistant Mike Divilbiss created a racially hostile environment in violation of the Federal Civil Rights Act.

Among the allegations:

— Coaches held segregated practices

— Coaches prohibited white players from rooming with black players on road trips

— When the Illini played predominantly black teams, the coaches asked the black players what they thought the other team was going to do. When the Illini played predominantly white teams, the coaches asked the white players.

— The coaches called predominantly black teams “undisciplined and unintelligent” while referring to predominantly white teams as “disciplined and intelligent.

— Calling one or more of the black plaintiffs unintelligent, undisciplined and “west-side ghetto.”

— Coaches held more severe discipline for black players and white players despite similar conduct.

— The coaches encouraged or helped the “favored” white players improve when they played poorly, while black players and white teammates who associated with them were “insulted, denigrated, demeaned, demoralized and/or embarrassed” if they made mistakes. The coaches also addressed the players in a denigrating manner in team meetings and practices. The conduct was designed to coerce the plaintiffs to quit the team, surrender their scholarships or transfer, the lawsuit said.

— Coaches held more severe discipline for black players than white players despite similar conduct.

Parents of players named in the suit declined comment on advice of their attorney. When reached by The News-Gazette, Divilbiss also declined comment.

To the tone of 10 million, somebody better have deep pockets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just read the article from the Chicago Tribune, and in it the lawsuit calms the players were segregated on road trips really blunt what are you smoking. I suppose he is in the south burning those churches down. What a dough bag.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bob White was quoted in an interview a few times on his thoughts about the coaching practices at Illinois.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/article26139604.html

"Did I ever see Mike or Matt (treat the players poorly)? No," said Bob White, who said he was at occasional practices last season and at a number of games.

This next quote I find interesting about what he said should Bollant be removed.

His daughter, who is white, plans to rejoin the team "if the administration allows (Bollant) to coach," Bob White said.

Not sure why he opens his mouth on the subject at all. Sounds like he needs to rein in his ego a little bit.

"plans to rejoin the team"?---to me, that statement says she has left the basketball program. 

it would be so much wiser to hold back any comments till this thing is over.

what's that saying? "sometimes things take on a life of their own"?  you know, once the snowball starts down the hill....

when i think about it, at this period of time, how would someone even think they could get away with some of the allegations? 

at some point, guess we will find out.

"plans to rejoin the team"?---to me, that statement says she has left the basketball program. 

what's that saying? "sometimes things take on a life of their own"?  you know, once the snowball starts down the hill....

when i think about it, at this period of time, how would someone even think they could get away with some of the allegations? 

Without wearing out the subject to much.....

Rejoin...I read that simply to mean.... this fall.

But anyway..... for Bob White to still ignore the reality of what's going on.....that's kind of mind boggling :o

He has to be blind.....and think my girl's starting so no matter what happens, he dosen't want to rock the (sinking) boat.

And for Chatrice to seemingly not be aware of anything????

Don't think the coach can/will survive the onslaught. There's just too many on the team threating to sue, with accusations, etc.

Wouldn't new recruits pass on joining the team in the next few years. If my daughter could go there...I'd have to say..... not there.....not now.

But anyway..... for Bob White to still ignore the reality of what's going on.....that's kind of mind boggling :o

He has to be blind.....and think my girl's starting so no matter what happens, he dosen't want to rock the (sinking) boat.

Don't think the coach can/will survive the onslaught. There's just too many on the team threating to sue, with accusations, etc.

Wouldn't new recruits pass on joining the team in the next few years. If my daughter could go there...I'd have to say..... not there.....not now.

OK, I'm already in a bit of a foul mood with the whole Rashon Burno news.  So, I'm trying to be restrained here, but ...

Ignore what reality?  Your reality? 

He has first-hand experience with this situation; you have, at best, third-hand information.

What makes you think your perceptions based on third-hand information have more validity than the perceptions of the father of one of the players on the team?

OK, I'm already in a bit of a foul mood with the whole Rashon Burno news.  So, I'm trying to be restrained here, but ...

Ignore what reality?  Your reality? 

He has first-hand experience with this situation; you have, at best, third-hand information.

What makes you think your perceptions based on third-hand information have more validity than the perceptions of the father of one of the players on the team?

I'll have to ask you the same question....

What makes you think your perceptions based on third-hand information have more validity than ...mine ? You seem to think that about half the team leaving and suing the school because of the coaching staff.....somehow has no validity.......since Bob White says there's no problem.

That's defies logic in my book.

And yes, the Bruno thing :angry:

redsteve, I don't have a perception about it.  I know some players are complaining about the guy; others have apparently remained loyal.  That's about all I know for sure.

I don't know who's right and who isn't, but I cannot say that Bob White is wrong just because a bunch of other parents and kids are complaining.

You seem to be assuming that Bob White is wrong.  He's ignoring reality.  Which means you've already determined which side is right and which is wrong.  I haven't made that determination.  I don't have sufficient information.  I certainly don't have enough information to go along with your view that Bob White is ignoring reality.

In the end, maybe we'll find out that he is out of touch with reality.  But I don't know how any of us can make that call at this point.

redsteve, I don't have a perception about it.  I know some players are complaining about the guy; others have apparently remained loyal.  That's about all I know for sure.

I don't know who's right and who isn't, but I cannot say that Bob White is wrong just because a bunch of other parents and kids are complaining.

You seem to be assuming that Bob White is wrong.  He's ignoring reality.  Which means you've already determined which side is right and which is wrong.  I haven't made that determination.  I don't have sufficient information.  I certainly don't have enough information to go along with your view that Bob White is ignoring reality.

In the end, maybe we'll find out that he is out of touch with reality.  But I don't know how any of us can make that call at this point.

I fully agree that no one on the outside knows the entire truth at this point...if it ever really comes out...probably not. Certainly no one on this web site has inside information.

And for the record I never said Mr White is wrong.....rather his statements thus far, are hard to understand.....compared to all that we have been told about what has happened to the program.

And also for the record, nowhere have I said I believe either side is right...or wrong.

Speculation/perceptions....of course....utimately without some level of speculation this site probably wouldn't exist, and none of us would be on here anyway.

We talk all the time about our players and how they'll preform next year...new recruits, etc...it's mostly speculation/perceptions as we see it.

...and I'm assuming we all have opinions....that too is what makes this site work.

CNN weighs in on the Illinois troubles.

Thomas, the university's athletic director, said the university is reevaluating its practice of allowing head coaches to do most of the vetting of assistants they bring in.

The university responded by saying that it's disappointed the lawsuit came before the findings of its internal review and that Thomas has asked staff to closely monitor team activities in the meantime.

"I cannot stress enough that anytime we learn that a student feels the experience at Illinois isn't excellent, we take those concerns seriously. We intended that through the external review process the student-athletes and their families would help us better understand their concerns and perceptions," Chancellor Phyllis Wise said in a statement.

Many players and parents told CNN they won't be happy as long as Bollant remains. One said, "When you are the head coach, you should stop that when you see it. If you can't stop bullying amongst your own staff, that is a problem."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/us/illinois-athletics-allegations/index.html

CNN weighs in on the Illinois troubles.

Thomas, the university's athletic director, said the university is reevaluating its practice of allowing head coaches to do most of the vetting of assistants they bring in.

The university responded by saying that it's disappointed the lawsuit came before the findings of its internal review and that Thomas has asked staff to closely monitor team activities in the meantime.

"I cannot stress enough that anytime we learn that a student feels the experience at Illinois isn't excellent, we take those concerns seriously. We intended that through the external review process the student-athletes and their families would help us better understand their concerns and perceptions," Chancellor Phyllis Wise said in a statement.

Many players and parents told CNN they won't be happy as long as Bollant remains. One said, "When you are the head coach, you should stop that when you see it. If you can't stop bullying amongst your own staff, that is a problem."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/us/illinois-athletics-allegations/index.html
The article mentions the National College Players Association. Is that the "union" organized at Northwestern U. several years ago? Does it have much of a presence at Illinois and other B1G schools?

Bob White writes the Illinois administration a letter.

The Letter.

Bob White has already expressed his displeasure in how allegations into the Illinois women’s basketball program have been handled, telling The News-Gazette in May he was “terribly disappointed with the Illinois administration" for letting former associate head coach Mike Divilbiss go.

Bob and Nitha White, the parents of Illinois sophomore Chatrice White, followed up Friday with a letter to head coach Matt Bollant, athletic director Mike Thomas, Chancellor Phyllis Wise and President Timothy Killeen that states much the same.

“Coach ‘D’ is obviously the victim of false allegations as proven by both of the University’s investigations,” the White’s letter addressed to Bollant read. “Why you and the administration felt it was necessary to act in such a way is beyond our comprehension. In reviewing the situation with Chatrice we find it rather interesting that she could not understand how any players could make such allegations and furthermore how an administrative staff could actually require an assistant coach to resign based on such unsubstantiated (per the University’s investigations) claims.”

Divilbiss was Chatrice White’s lead recruiter out of high school and, according to the letter, played a significant role in White choosing Illinois.

“Now just one year later, the future of Illinois women’s basketball is as unclear as ever,” the Whites letter read. “Fortunately there is one thing that will give the Fighting Illini hope and that is Coach Bollant and his staff. Unfortunately, we’re concerned to the extent Coach Bollant and his staff will be allowed to coach now that this precedence has been set. This precedent being that any allegation(s) brought forth by a player who was recruited over could result in the mandatory resignation of a coach despite the findings of an investigation into the allegations."

The Whites end their letter with a note of continued support of the Illinois women’s basketball program, but wondered if the Illinois coaches are unable to push their daughter to improve for fear of other allegations if she would “need to consider other options where coaches can coach and false allegations will not result in the dismissal of a great coach.”

Sounds like he's planning his daughter's exit from Illinois to me.