Post Game Chatter, volume 5, edition 12

Huskerpapa

• Scored 89 points…who saw this coming?
  • David Rivers played the game of his life (at least so far) – very nice to see.
  • Way too many fouls. Don’t know why, but that was a pain.
  • We never trailed in this game. Ray started off on fire, and others stepped up
  • Defense sounded pretty iffy. Did we have cement in our shoes? Perhaps too much dancing last night?
  • Why the “T” on coach? I am not complaining, but I would like to know the explanation from the ref.
  • Shavon played another good game…good to see him coming along.
  • Ubel had a sleeper of a first half, but a very nice second half.
  • Talley…nice offensive burst my man. Also was the man breaking the press.
  • Andre, Andre, Andre…come on man!
  • We know Peltz is not a shooter, but dude, we need you to be 80% from the FT line.
  • Overall, you have to be satisfied with this win.
  • I am torked though...a game like this and it IS NOT ON TV -- come on man!

This post has been promoted to an article

The technical was on a blocking foul when Parker had position and was playing good defense. Miles said "he had position". No profanity. No histrionics. That ref was making poor calls all night. Only thing I can imagine is Miles said something earlier and the guy had one preloaded next time Miles spoke up.

The technical was on a blocking foul when Parker had position and was playing good defense. Miles said "he had position". No profanity. No histrionics. That ref was making poor calls all night. Only thing I can imagine is Miles said something earlier and the guy had one preloaded next time Miles spoke up.

If you are going to foul...then earn the foul.

If you are going to get a technical...then earn the technical. It doesn't sound like Coach Miles earned it.

Overall, very happy we got the win and shot the heck out of the ball. If we cut back on fouls and turnovers we win this thing by 30+. Offensively when we didn't turn it over sounded like we were getting whatever we wanted. Tomorrow will be very tough assuming we have UTEP. They just beat Oregon and are playing very well. They started slow this year, but 2 starters just last week rejoined the team.

How many turnovers did we end up with...10 or 11? If so, we actually did very well against the press. Think about it guys, we had 5 or 6 before the first 4 minute time out. If that is the case, we then only had about 4 or 5 turnovers the last 36 minutes of the game. But the fouls, yikes!

How many turnovers did we end up with...10 or 11? If so, we actually did very well against the press. Think about it guys, we had 5 or 6 before the first 4 minute time out. If that is the case, we then only had about 4 or 5 turnovers the last 36 minutes of the game. But the fouls, yikes!

At one point Matt made the comment about having 14 TO's

89 points - pretty sweet. Hasn't come often enough around here.

I just had to dig up another obscure statistic. I knew we scored a lot in the 90's but I was still a little shocked by what I found below.

Number of 89+ games for NU by decade:

'50-'59 3

'60-'69 22

'70-'79 10

'80-'89 27

'90-'99 73

'00-'09 11

'10-'19 1

Speaking of the 90s and Danny Nee, can we bring him in as an assistant? Half kidding. FWIW, he's still coaching for the United States Merchant Marine Academy basketball team: http://www.usmmasports.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/schedule

I looked up the referees for tonights game. Here they are:

1) Jimmy Casa. I swear as God as my witness, this was only his second college game ever. His first game was Utah v. Texas Statee. I swear. So to say that he may have been a bit overwhelmed may be a bit of an understatement.

2) Mike Garranto. Again I kid you not. If this site is to believed, this was his FIRST college game. He is the ref who handed out the two technicals. Again, he perhaps was just a tad out of his element.

3) Shawn Lehigh. A 17-year college referee. He mostly does Mountain West and WAC games. He appears to average about 40 games a year. I would guess that he was the "stable" referee within this group.

Seriously, we are about a third of the way through the season, and two of these guys are just now starting to referee games...no wonder this was a foul fest.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees

David looked a tad nervous in front of the cameras. Hopefully he has more games like this in his career and gets a chance to practice his interview skills. Loved Miles giving him grief about scoring 20 without shooting a three.