Tre'Shawn Thurman - SG 2014

TheGov21

• 4 weeks later...

Had a chance to watch Thurman/UNO recently a couple times - I think he's going to be a very good player for UNO/Summit League. 

Athletically reminds me of Rivers, but has more range on his jump shot & is better off the dribble already. Similar explosion around the rim, although Thurman had a very impressive dunk in traffic off a drive from the FT line vs UTPA. Rivers can dunk on rebounds, but doesn't show that explosion off the dribble.

Thurman does some nice things defensively too, shows a good feel for the game. Not sure he'd be ready to play the 4 defensively at this point in a P5 conference like Rivers is doing though. He should be fine playing the 4 in the Summit, even as a true frosh.

Overall he's playing very well, especially considering UNO didn't expect him to have to play as many minutes as he's playing, but injuries have given Thurman a chance & he's taking advantage of it.

Moot point as NU wasn't going to wait to see if he would qualify and had other recruiting options, but it would've been interesting to see him at NU & whether he could have developed into a starter at B1G level eventually. I'll be hoping he does well at UNO, always nice to see in-state kids excel at the D-1 level.

Since we had a scholarship open I don't see why we couldn't a waited. Din't we just give the scholly to Menke or some other walk on anyway?

Well that's kind of the risk/reward - if we get Agau as a transfer then it was probably smart to hold that scholarship. If we strike out with all of the mid-year transfers, then maybe you can second guess. Sometimes it's worth having an open one for mid-year options - I don't mind that strategy on occasion.

Whichever walk-on got the extra scholarship only has it guaranteed 1st semester, so it can be taken back if needed for a mid-year player.

And I don't think anyone, even UNO coaches, thought Thurman would be doing what he's doing so quickly, so it's tough to fault NU's coaches on this one. If he keeps developing & improving though, I have to think Miles & Co will definitely feel like they missed one.

Since we had a scholarship open I don't see why we couldn't a waited. Din't we just give the scholly to Menke or some other walk on anyway?

Well that's kind of the risk/reward - if we get Agau as a transfer then it was probably smart to hold that scholarship. If we strike out with all of the mid-year transfers, then maybe you can second guess. Sometimes it's worth having an open one for mid-year options - I don't mind that strategy on occasion.

Whichever walk-on got the extra scholarship only has it guaranteed 1st semester, so it can be taken back if needed for a mid-year player.

And I don't think anyone, even UNO coaches, thought Thurman would be doing what he's doing so quickly, so it's tough to fault NU's coaches on this one. If he keeps developing & improving though, I have to think Miles & Co will definitely feel like they missed one.

And, the scholar-benchwarmer Trevor Menke greatly helps with the APR...

And, the scholar-benchwarmer Trevor Menke greatly helps with the APR...

What we've done with the extra schollies in Miles first 3 years.

We awarded a scholarship Miles' first year to a walk-on.

The second year we held on to our extra one...we had a shot at Greg Whittingham from G'Town but didn't get him. Awarded it to Menke the second half.

This year we have an extra schollie we didn't award to anyone. We can use it on Agau. If he doesn't come here we can award it to a walk on.

We had a scholarship and could have offered Thruman. We did not.

Don't think that's right bout the scholly. My brother told me dat once you give it to a cat, it is gone for da year, even if a kid transfers somewheres else. If menke gots it now,you can't take it away and give it to some other cat at the semester.

Don't think that's right bout the scholly. My brother told me dat once you give it to a cat, it is gone for da year, even if a kid transfers somewheres else. If menke gots it now,you can't take it away and give it to some other cat at the semester.

What about Dawgs?

Waited on what exactly?

Try reading the other posts in the thread bruh

The question remains....what are you talking about in regards to "why we couldn't a waited?"  Your post makes no sense.  We had a scholarship available...still do.  So who is saying we didn't wait?  Bruh.

Waited on what exactly?

The question remains....what are you talking about in regards to "why we couldn't a waited?" Your post makes no sense. We had a scholarship available...still do. So who is saying we didn't wait? Bruh.

Go back and read kamdymans post. Ain't that hard.

Waited on what exactly?

The question remains....what are you talking about in regards to "why we couldn't a waited?" Your post makes no sense. We had a scholarship available...still do. So who is saying we didn't wait? Bruh.

Go back and read kamdymans post. Ain't that hard.

Apparently it is that hard....for you.  Kamdy alluded to the fact that he would have had better offers if he was not an academic risk.  By the time he qualified the majority of the high level schools were done recruiting AKA...didn't have any scholarships.  He didn't say anything about Nebraska....yet you said..."why we couldn't a waited?"  WE HAD A SCHOLORSHIP AVAILABLE..Thus, if Miles wanted to he could have offered despite Thurman being a late qualifier.  It's pretty clear we were not interested in him, it has nothing to do with not waiting.      

That's the rub: Menke doesn't have it now. We have an open scholarship. If things work out with Agau, he's going to get it. If not, it will probably be awarded after the start of the second semester to a walkon.

I don't think it's a matter of waiting as much as it was a matter of us not offering Thurman or him signing on with UNO by the time we might have wanted to offer.