Tre'Shawn Thurman - SG 2014

TheGov21

I don't know if anybody else caught this, but I was listening to Shapre and Benning in the Morning on 1620 the Zone earlier this week and they were talking to a guy that covers the City of Pams tournament that Omaha Central is in. During the talk they brought up Tre'Shawn. After they were done with the interview they mentioned that Tre'Shawn had "no interest" in Nebraska. (13:08 mark) But both agreed that Miles needs to get this kid interested.

I don't know about anybody else, but this is a kid Nebraska really needs to get. They've struck out locally (not Mile's fault) and could really afford to get it going. He is a from what I've seen, a better prospect than Akoy.

Here is a link to the interview. Hopefully I did it right.

http://stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/?d=AM&cid=981#

They mentioned that Tre'Shawn had "no interest" in Nebraska. (13:08 mark) But both agreed that Miles needs to get this kid interested.

http://stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/?d=AM&cid=981#

Why do people make such statements? If the guy isn't interested, let him go. Sheesh!

And who knows why there is a lack of interest? Perhaps the Louisvilles of the world want him, like they did with Akoy. Or it might be as simple as Coach Miles doesn't have room for him as anything more than a walk-on, given the short list of available scholarships next year. Or, maybe the player has a dream school where he wants to go?

As a post above indicates, Coach Miles often emphasizes that he is looking for players who want to be at Nebraska. So, it sounds like this player is already disqualified.

Since this board is into old songs, here is a suggestion for this player: "Let it be."

Central lost against a Long Beach CA team in the second or third round. I believe they play again today, and if they win today, they will play for 5th. The loss ended their 41 game win streak. Tre'Shawn is doing fine with Central. I believe he is the second leading scorer behind Akoy.

I wonder what relationships are being built by this coaching staff in Nebraska? I assume it is good, especially given the fact that Coach Miles recruited Nebraska prior to his landing in Lincoln.

Why do people make such statements? If the guy isn't interested, let him go. Sheesh!

If he might be a BCS level Division I kid and is going to school in the state of Nebraska, it doesn't matter if he has absolutely no interest...you need to put as much effort into him or anyone meeting that description like they're you're #1 priority.

Don't know where Sharpe and Benning are getting their info from. Bryan Munson posted the following article (abridged version posted here) on Big Red Report back in October about his unofficial visit to Lincoln for the Wisconsin game:

Tre’Shawn Thurman from Omaha (Nebr.) Central is a 6-foot-6 and 200-pound forward.The Omaha Central standout took the opportunity to head to Lincoln this past weekend to see a football game and talk to the Nebraska basketball staff.

“Yeah, I was in Lincoln on Saturday,” Thurman said.“I went up for the football game.On Saturday I got there and was given a tour of the facilities, got something to eat and then watched the game.It was a good visit.”

The visit to Lincoln for Thurman was an unofficial visit so that limits what he can actually do somewhat in comparison to an official visit.He did was he could do and saw what he could see and came away impressed.

The Huskers have not offered Thurman, but he says that the attention from Nebraska has really started to ramp up.Thurman is getting some pretty good attention from around the country and says that he is holding one offer already.

“I like them (Nebraska).I know some of their players, I have either played with them or against them, and they are up and coming.I think in three to four years they will be better than Creighton." (Emphasis added.)

http://www.foxsportsnext.com/college/nebraska-cornhuskers/stories/thurman-checks-out-lincoln.20121003.html

husker11, that's a great point. As things stand right now, we'll have 1 senior on next year's team and we have two open spots to offer yet for this 2013 class. If we hang onto one of them, then we still only have 2 spots to offer for 2014. If someone leaves, that would open up another spot, but we're still only up to 3. We just don't have a lot of spots to offer anyone.

Now, if Tre'Shawn were to attend a post-graduate Prep school for a year and reclassify as a 2015 recruit, then maybe we can talk. (I think Tory Miller is doing the same thing except going from a '13 kid to a '14 kid.)

I doubt Thurman ever gets a NU offer. Not only due to the small # of schollies but also the fact we will be LOADED with several guys that will be sophomores, juniors, and maybe rs freshmen all at the same position and physical build. If he were bigger like Akoy I could see it being possible. Lets be honest though he is really a mid major D-1 player. The other night, against a Nebraska school, he scored 2 points. No major BCS school is taking a kid that is only scoring 2 points against inferior talent which the state of Nebraska has when it comes to basketball. UNO, Drake, etc will be the type of school he ends up at if I had to guess.

That makes sense Kamdy. Didn't realize he only scored a deuce against another NE team. Heck, people are worried about Hawkins when he only scores a dozen against a Texas school. How many times has Thurman topped 20 points this season? I think Sharpe, and perhaps Benning, can tend to overhype players sometimes. Never heard any explanation for why they felt the kid wasn't interested and why it was so important we get him interested.

That makes sense Kamdy. Didn't realize he only scored a deuce against another NE team. Heck, people are worried about Hawkins when he only scores a dozen against a Texas school. How many times has Thurman topped 20 points this season? I think Sharpe, and perhaps Benning, can tend to overhype players sometimes. Never heard any explanation for why they felt the kid wasn't interested and why it was so important we get him interested.

I think it has everything to do with losing out on Agau. People will think Central is thee feeder program now and if you dont get in on them now you never will. Much like in football you'll hear people bitch about Nebraska recruits going to Iowa, etc take that and make it x10 because Nebraska rarely gets a talent like Agau to come along and when he leaves people feel they need to start closing the state down. Fact is Nebraska high school basketball has been and for the near future will be very poor and be lucky to get a few kids to mid and low major D-1 schools. Before Agau the best players to come out of this state ended up at Creighton and had some decent careers but nothing huge. Creighton's best players have always been out of staters with a few role plyers that are home grown to play fundamental team basketball.

The guy I am interested in is the freshman from Burke (name escapes me). But I have heard that he has made it clear he REALLY likes Miles and the NU team. And if things ended today (which obviously a TON could change) he would come to NU. Now, thats just what I have heard and this is a way off, but I heard this kid can play.

Are you guys kidding? Have you watched any of Thurman's videos? It doesn't matter how many guys Nebraska currently has that are at the same position and physical build, you go after him for a number of reasons. If he came to Nebraska, he would instantly be the most athletic long player on the team. Thurman is 6'7", 205 lbs at the beginning of his Jr season and he can leap out of the gym and regularly finishes above the rim with authority. Thurman can also shoot the ball well from outside.

As far as Central being thee feeder program in Nebraska...they are. They are the only team with the athletes that can go toe-to-toe with nationally highly ranked teams. One of the teams that Central went toe-to-toe with was Whitney Young (Chicago, IL), which is the team with multiple players that Nebrasketball fans were drooling over when they visited (including 2014 prospect Jahlil Okafor). Central only lost to Whitney Young 60-57. Thurman had 13 points in the game and Agau had 14 points. Central crushes other "good" teams in Nebraska, while going on their 40 game win streak. They are the feeder.

Also, it doesn't matter how many scholarships Nebraska has for the 2014 class, they have to go after Thurman. People always talk about "Nebraska has to keep the few in-state D1 prospects from leaving the state", because they are so few and far between. That doesn't just happen on its own. It happens by building relationships with players, coaches, and schools, which happens by recruiting in-state D1 talent when it comes along. I'm not saying that Nebraska is screwed if they don't get Thurman, or that he will be the savior that will take Nebraska to the sweet16, but I am saying that Miles has to recruit this kid as hard as he recruited Agau. As far as the number of offers that he currently has, he just started his Jr season. I can assure you that his offer list will be much more impressive than Atewe's offer list was going into his senior year (who alot of people on this board seem to think Nebraska needs to get locked up), especially after Central played so well in a national tournament infront of multiple D1 coaches.

Here is one video of Thurman. The intro of the video lists him as a Jr (which he currently is), but all of the highlights are actually from his So year.

http://www.hudl.com/...hlights/9749383

Are you guys kidding? Have you watched any of Thurman's videos? It doesn't matter how many guys Nebraska currently has that are at the same position and physical build, you go after him for a number of reasons. If he came to Nebraska, he would instantly be the most athletic long player on the team. Thurman is 6'7", 205 lbs at the beginning of his Jr season and he can leap out of the gym and regularly finishes above the rim with authority. Thurman can also shoot the ball well from outside.

As far as Central being thee feeder program in Nebraska...they are. They are the only team with the athletes that can go toe-to-toe with nationally highly ranked teams. One of the teams that Central went toe-to-toe with was Whitney Young (Chicago, IL), which is the team with multiple players that Nebrasketball fans were drooling over when they visited (including 2014 prospect Jahlil Okafor). Central only lost to Whitney Young 60-57. Thurman had 13 points in the game and Agau had 14 points. Central crushes other "good" teams in Nebraska, while going on their 40 game win streak. They are the feeder.

Also, it doesn't matter how many scholarships Nebraska has for the 2014 class, they have to go after Thurman. People always talk about "Nebraska has to keep the few in-state D1 prospects from leaving the state", because they are so few and far between. That doesn't just happen on its own. It happens by building relationships with players, coaches, and schools, which happens by recruiting in-state D1 talent when it comes along. I'm not saying that Nebraska is screwed if they don't get Thurman, or that he will be the savior that will take Nebraska to the sweet16, but I am saying that Miles has to recruit this kid as hard as he recruited Agau. As far as the number of offers that he currently has, he just started his Jr season. I can assure you that his offer list will be much more impressive than Atewe's offer list was going into his senior year (who alot of people on this board seem to think Nebraska needs to get locked up), especially after Central played so well in a national tournament infront of multiple D1 coaches.

Here is one video of Thurman. The intro of the video lists him as a Jr (which he currently is), but all of the highlights are actually from his So year.

http://www.hudl.com/...hlights/9749383

I know you mention he will get more offers. The thing about basketball, unlike any other sport is the better players in this sport are getting offered as young as 8th graders. Nebraska has several offers out to freshmen. I saw 4 kids last night that are younger or same age as Thurman with BCS offers. Thurman plays AAU which 100's of D-1 coaches attend. If he was THAT amazing of a prospect why wouldnt he even have offers from the start up D-1 school or mid-major right in the city he plays in? Not saying he wont get some offers but to say he is that good now, in this sport, the offers would dictate it.

'baller, those are some pretty decent highlights for a sophomore in HS. If he was 2 inches taller, I'd be saying get him instead of Atewe. (I know, different class, different position, but still ...)

Thanks.

He was 6'6" as a sophomore in the video. Now as a junior he is 6'7" and is 15 lbs heavier at 205 lbs. Maybe over the next year he will continue to grow to get to 6'8" or 6'9" and maybe he will put on another 15-20 lbs before college, which would put him at roughly 225-230 lbs as an incoming freshman.

Kamdy, is it possible there's something else holding up his recruiting? Is he having academic issues and eligibility questions? Legal troubles? Having watched that vid, it honestly surprises me that he doesn't have an offer from UNO at least. There has to be something more to the story. What are his averages? What kind of numbers is he putting up?

Here are some more of Thurman's highlights from Omaha Central's game vs Eagle Landing, GA in the City of Palms Tournament in Fort Meyers, FL. Omaha Central won the game 62-37.

http://www.maxpreps....c3-f3cab8ea3c2f

Again, that's decent highlight tape. It's all from one game so it's not cherry picking the best the kid ever did all season long. It shows that he has some ability. High major ability? I have no idea. But enough there that I would think the kid could get some offers. He needs to learn to put a little bit of jump into his jumper. He doesn't get a lot of elevation on the shot and his release is somewhat low and forward, but it appears he can hit it effectively. He can throw it down with a little more authority than either Nathan Hawkins or his HS teammate who's going to Okie State.

Honestly, I wonder what the story is on him not having any offers. Just hidden behind Agau? Could that be it?

Keep in mind Deverell Biggs, who now is on our roster, didn't have any offers either. Turns out it was because of academics and not because he wasn't a kid who could play at this level. We all wondered back when Biggs was coming out why he didn't have more offers. Maybe Thurman is in the same boat as Biggs was.

Kamdy, is it possible there's something else holding up his recruiting? Is he having academic issues and eligibility questions? Legal troubles? Having watched that vid, it honestly surprises me that he doesn't have an offer from UNO at least. There has to be something more to the story. What are his averages? What kind of numbers is he putting up?

I don't know where to find the complete stat sheets, but I know he averaged 9 points per game as a sophomore. I know that's not amazing, but that was as a sophomore and Agau is obviously more of a focal point of the team than Thurman was/is at this point.