Harriman...

ShortDust

I'll give out a Norm exercise here. When thinking of the assistants Miles has currently, and to make yourself feel better about them...just think about who Doc had.

At least Mathews and Benford left for major programs (UCLA and Marquette).  

Losing Harriman to a mid-major school, after all the support his family has received here, is a bit troubling.  You have to wonder if he and Miles had some differences.

He's getting more money, will be the defacto #2, and New Mexico has a good basketball program. If his goal is to become a HC, does staying here seem like the right move?

We could have easily offered him more money and a fancier title.  

Craig Smith went directly from being an assistant here to being a D-I head coach, so I don't see how staying here will hurt his HC goals.  How many guys go from Mountain West assistant to D-I head coach?  New Mexico just lost one of their assistants to an assistant job at Bradley for God's sake.  It's not that great of a program.

Not trying to take anything away from Harriman and what he's meant to the university. He has given a ton. Thanks to him and his family. Also trying to do this without sounding all sour grapes....but I'd like to examine what exactly Harriman has provided in terms or recruits. And I need everybody's help because I can't remember who he has been the lead recruiter for besides Tai, Pinder, and now McVeigh.

Obviously we all know about his recruitment of foreign players particularly in Australia. This is an area that being Nebraska and having the history we have as a program we thought we could make inroads and steal a few good players. Has this really panned out? There are really good foreign players out there but you can certainly do well in the American college game without them. And with this next class coming in, we may have proven that we can recruit the high caliber American born player as well.

We also heard that Harriman had exceptionally strong ties to the east a few states, particularly Indiana. Has that tie given us any players? I'm seriously asking because I can't remember.

So, as much as this sucks, and as much as he will be missed (thank you Harriman family), is there any reason we think Miles won't be able to upgrade here? Again, no disrespect whatsoever to Coach Harriman. He's put in the work.

OWH report link below.  I see that top picture, and wonder who will be in charge of holding back Miles from the officials next year. :unsure:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/husker-assistant-coach-chris-harriman-leaving-nu-for-new-mexico/article_6c612002-e6c5-11e4-af1f-1fd979e4c503.html

I
 guess with the family situation, Harriman would have been the last one I would expect to leave Nebraska.  But you can't blame a guy for furthering his career.  Especially in the field these coaches are in.  I think AJB has the right perspective.  This can be an opportunity for the Harriman family and an opportunity for our program as well.  Let's see how the next hire shakes out.  If Miles is the type of individual I think he is, this won't rattle him.

Not trying to take anything away from Harriman and what he's meant to the university. He has given a ton. Thanks to him and his family. Also trying to do this without sounding all sour grapes....but I'd like to examine what exactly Harriman has provided in terms or recruits. And I need everybody's help because I can't remember who he has been the lead recruiter for besides Tai, Pinder, and now McVeigh.

Obviously we all know about his recruitment of foreign players particularly in Australia. This is an area that being Nebraska and having the history we have as a program we thought we could make inroads and steal a few good players. Has this really panned out? There are really good foreign players out there but you can certainly do well in the American college game without them. And with this next class coming in, we may have proven that we can recruit the high caliber American born player as well.

We also heard that Harriman had exceptionally strong ties to the east a few states, particularly Indiana. Has that tie given us any players? I'm seriously asking because I can't remember.

So, as much as this sucks, and as much as he will be missed (thank you Harriman family), is there any reason we think Miles won't be able to upgrade here? Again, no disrespect whatsoever to Coach Harriman. He's put in the work.

Thank you, ajb.

I was just about to say the same thing.  Except I might have worked a Standhardinger reference in there somewhere.  :)

I believe Harriman was the lead recruiter on Jacobson as well.

I agree that we need to see who Miles brings in to replace him before we get too upset about this.  But as we saw with Doc, lots of staff and roster turnover every year is not a good thing when you are trying to build a program.  It's starting to feel like deja vu.

I'll give out a Norm exercise here. When thinking of the assistants Miles has currently, and to make yourself feel better about them...just think about who Doc had.

At least Mathews and Benford left for major programs (UCLA and Marquette).  

Losing Harriman to a mid-major school, after all the support his family has received here, is a bit troubling.  You have to wonder if he and Miles had some differences.

Or if he just thinks winning here is going to be next to impossible.....

We could have easily offered him more money and a fancier title.  

Maybe. Assuming we get the ok for more staff money from administration how does that go over with the rest of the staff and everyone else in general when Harriman gets a big raise and he's the only one on staff to get it?

Hard to put a good spin on having a 100% turnover in our assistant coaching staff since Miles arrived here.    Assistants going the way of our big man recruiting.   Things look quite bleak again.  Maybe Miles will pull a rabbit out of his hat with Harriman's replacement, but what proven coach or rising star would take the job at this point in the program?

Assistant coaches move on.  Outside of foreign recruiting I don't see this as a major loss.  Losing Smith last year was a major loss but that was to be a D-1 head coach so its understandable.

We needed a change in the coaching staff this year b/c we had so many deficiencies offensively.  Harriman leaving is somewhat of a surprise only b/c of the health issues with his son & the support he's gotten here.  He got more $ & a better title, so I don't see this as a sky is falling scenario.

I see bench coaching as a major need, hopefully we can fill his spot with a solid mind on the bench.  I wouldn't be sad to see Molinardi moving on after next year. 

The only thing I'd be worried about is McVeigh making it here.  Hopefully this doesn't effect his status.  We might lose our solid footing with Pinder though.

As you can see by my username, I'm a lobo fan who lives in Omaha. Harriman to New Mexico actually makes a lot a sense if your a New Mexico fan. New Mexico has a ton of history when it comes to recruiting Australia beginning with Luc Longley. New Mexico also picked up Cameron Bairstow who is on the Chicago Bulls roster and Hugh Greenwood also from Australia. New Mexico is so connected to Australia that they played the Australian national anthem on senior night this past season. New Mexico is now going hard after 5-star Australian recruit Isaac Humphries. I'm sure hiring Harriman is another angle to get Humphries to sign with New Mexico.

As you can see by my username, I'm a lobo fan who lives in Omaha. Harriman to New Mexico actually makes a lot a sense if your a New Mexico fan. New Mexico has a ton of history when it comes to recruiting Australia beginning with Luc Longley. New Mexico also picked up Cameron Bairstow who is on the Chicago Bulls roster and Hugh Greenwood also from Australia. New Mexico is so connected to Australia that they played the Australian national anthem on senior night this past season. New Mexico is now going hard after 5-star Australian recruit Isaac Humphries. I'm sure hiring Harriman is another angle to get Humphries to sign with New Mexico.

Thanks for posting. I saw the Australian angle being played up on the Lobo Lair but didn't really know the context/history.

nice avatar

Assistant coaches move on.  Outside of foreign recruiting I don't see this as a major loss.  Losing Smith last year was a major loss but that was to be a D-1 head coach so its understandable.

We needed a change in the coaching staff this year b/c we had so many deficiencies offensively.  Harriman leaving is somewhat of a surprise only b/c of the health issues with his son & the support he's gotten here.  He got more $ & a better title, so I don't see this as a sky is falling scenario.

I see bench coaching as a major need, hopefully we can fill his spot with a solid mind on the bench.  I wouldn't be sad to see Molinardi moving on after next year. 

The only thing I'd be worried about is McVeigh making it here.  Hopefully this doesn't effect his status.  We might lose our solid footing with Pinder though.

The last  thing we need is another assistant moving on next year.  A little stability might be important at some point.  The program is in disarray already.  Another departure wouldn't help much with that.      Plus, most think Molinari provides "a solid mind" on the bench, and that bench coaching would be his strength.  Who out there is going to take this job who has more experience in that regard?    And what possible evidence do you have the Harriman (or Molinari, for that matter)  is responsible for the offensive deficiencies?

McVeigh isn't going anywhere.

I hope Miles can hire someone with as much or more game than Harriman, but it won't be easy.  

nice avatar

Damn now you and lobohusker will be monkeying around

Hard to put a good spin on having a 100% turnover in our assistant coaching staff since Miles arrived here.    Assistants going the way of our big man recruiting.   Things look quite bleak again.  Maybe Miles will pull a rabbit out of his hat with Harriman's replacement, but what proven coach or rising star would take the job at this point in the program?

I bet he had to put his phone on silent to eat dinner.

Hard to spin? We hire ambitious guys who other people want and are willing to outpay us for. There are a lot worse problems to have with your coaching staff. 

We've got our stability/head coach type hire in Molinari (who also happens to be a pretty good Illinois recruiter) No doubt we're on the look out for a guy (assuming we don't already have him) that can recruit in a section of the country/world we hope to tap into.

You sound like you need to talk this over with me over a beer before a baseball game ;)

Just some food for thought. Harriman has been offered other jobs but stayed at Nebraska. The popular consensus was that Harriman stayed because of his son's treatment. Eventually, though Harriman was going to leave. The man is definitely climbing the ladder. Harriman seems to have been very selective with his next job. He previously worked under Rick Majerus at St. Louis. I doubt this move has anything to do with Harriman's relationship with Miles.

There is two very good reasons that may of lead to Harriman leaving.

1) He was the lowest paid assistant after being on staff the longest.  Hunter and Coach Mo came in after and got paid higher.

2) New Mexico admittance will be alot easier to get the foreign players into school then what it takes to get into Nebraska.  I'm sure that bothers Harriman too

I bet he had to put his phone on silent to eat dinner.

Hard to spin? We hire ambitious guys who other people want and are willing to outpay us for. There are a lot worse problems to have with your coaching staff. 

We've got our stability/head coach type hire in Molinari (who also happens to be a pretty good Illinois recruiter) No doubt we're on the look out for a guy (assuming we don't already have him) that can recruit in a section of the country/world we hope to tap into.

You sound like you need to talk this over with me over a beer before a baseball game ;)

One would have to look no further than the extensive list of D-1 head coaches that came from the Miles coaching tree to put into proper perspective the bolded part of your post, dimes.  It is a pretty long list (and one could technically add Harriman to this list now, I suppose) so this is spot on, IMO.  IIRC, it's a longer list than any other B1G coach including Izzo and Matta even.

Now it's up to Miles to find the next D-1 head coach to add to his staff.  Go get 'em Tim!