Terran Petteway to declare for the NBA Draft

hhcmatt

Petteway.jpg

Instead of a press conference as previously scheduled by Petteway with the University, Terran Petteway today released a statement through the Huskers about his intent to go pro. Petteway's mother Joetta lost her battle with cancer and Terran is still with family.

Petteway on his time in Lincoln

“I want to start off by thanking the city of Lincoln and state of Nebraska for all of the love and support that you guys have shown me over the last three years,” Petteway said. “This is a bittersweet moment for me because Lincoln has become a second home to me, but in the same instance has helped me grow as a man and ballplayer, and I love y’all.”

Miles on the announcement

“I’m happy for Terran and his family,” Nebraska Coach Tim Miles said. “While I had hoped he stayed with us for his senior year, I completely support his decision, and we will help him as much as we can through this process. I believe any team in the NBA or otherwise would love to have Terran on their team.”

Here are some of Terran Petteway's accomplishments from Huskers.com media relations

He holds two of the top-10 scoring seasons in school history (579, seventh, 2013-14; 564, eighth, 2014-15), while his 18.1 points per game career scoring average at Nebraska ranks second in school history. Petteway joined Dave Hoppen as the only two players in program history to score 1,000 points in their first two seasons at Nebraska, and Petteway reached double figures in 59 of 63 games as a Husker.

This past season, Petteway topped the Huskers and ranked fourth in the Big Ten in scoring at 18.2 points per game, while also placing among the Big Ten leaders in 3-pointers (2.2, eighth), assists (2.8, 14th) and steals (1.1, 15th) per game. He led NU in scoring, assists and blocked shots (27), while ranking second on the team in rebounding (4.9 per game) and steals (35). A preseason Wooden Award Nominee, he was one of 15 players on the Julius Erving Award Watch List, recognizing the top small forward in the country. He reached double figures in 29 games in 2014-15, including 13 performances with at least 20 points. He closed the season with a strong performance against Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament, scoring a game-high 29 points, as he hit 4-of-7 from 3-point range and went 11-of-13 from the foul line.

Petteway put together one of the best sophomore seasons in school history in 2013-14, leading Nebraska to 19 wins and the school’s first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1998. He averaged a Big Ten-leading 18.1 points per game along with 4.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game, as he was second on the team in assists and rebounding. A first-team All-Big Ten performer, Petteway was also a first-team all-district honoree by both the NABC (coaches) and U.S. Basketball Writers Association.  He was a consistent scorer for the Big Red, reaching double figures 30 times in 32 games, including a pair of 30-point outings. His best performance came in a win over Minnesota, when he had a career-high 35 points.

This post has been promoted to an article

I remember Jordan saying that was one of the reasons he retired the first time was because he wanted his dad to have seen his final game.

So Jordan knew his dad was going to be shot at a random gas station?

He retired a few months after his father's murder.

And now we will see how prepared the staff is/was for this. You have to think Miles knew this was coming or at least prepared for it recruiting-wise. I wonder if we see couple "new" offers appear.

We've had open scholarships so I wouldn't expect a bunch of new stuff to flip up.

I don't know if it will be real public but at some point we're going to sign a post player Rental or Schapps shot. (that's 5th year and JUCO to those not familiar with the lingo)

We're *ONLY* at 450 transfers for this year. Last year, it was 700+.

No reason to be in a rush unless it's a guy you really really want.

The very best wishes to Terran Petteway.  He was the leading scorer in the B1G for 2013/14 and without him we do not return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in several years. From what I have read T.P. is a person of high character in all his personal dealings, of whom we can all be proud.  :)

And now we will see how prepared the staff is/was for this. You have to think Miles knew this was coming or at least prepared for it recruiting-wise. I wonder if we see couple "new" offers appear.

We've had open scholarships so I wouldn't expect a bunch of new stuff to flip up.

I don't know if it will be real public but at some point we're going to sign a post player Rental or Schapps shot. (that's 5th year and JUCO to those not familiar with the lingo)

Hopefully that schnapps is zucchini flavored.

If we're talking JUCO guys we're looking for more of a Rumplemintz than a Butterscotch

If we're talking JUCO guys we're looking for more of a Rumplemintz than a Butterscotch

Get rid of a bunch of letters and add an "a" and you've got "Runza" flavor :)