PG Bakari Evelyn is N

hhcmatt

And I have a hunch that most are basing their opinion of Hammond on the fact that he didn't see much time this year. Might I suggest that something else was going on when Kurkowski enters the game and Hammond didn't. Maybe Hammond will be slightly more ready to go, ready to get a few more minutes in year 2.

I know we need bigs, but we need good players. If he's a good player, I'll be thrilled because we lacked quality depth last season.

Agree here. Some are focusing so much on what we lack and who left rather than the brand new load of ball players coming in and who we still have left on the roster. The help we have coming is quite impressive.

We have at the least 2 open scholarships and we do need a point for the future so this is not a bad thing. Also as other have stayed earlier he was looked at by some bigger and better schools up until his move to be close to his grandfather. I think we got another diamond in the rough much like Tarin was.

The big schools stopped recruiting/looking at him for a reason. I doubt they simply forgot about him. So, did he not develop as expected? Too much time off the court?

He missed quite a bit of time his junior year before coming back before their state championship run and then basically missed his senior year with the transfer.  I honestly feel his case is similar to a guy by the name of Jordan Tebbutt in terms of small school players.  He went to a small christian school like Evelyn.  He was a star scoring like 30+ a game as a freshman and sophomore.  He was getting interest from KU, UNC, etc. but he was still an unknown against the creme de la creme.  He finally decided to transfer to Oak Hill to garner more than interest and gain offers.  He ended up being a bench player and kind of disappeared.  Its like he went from phenom to flop and decided to never play again.  

Now I'm not saying Evelyn is a flop before he gets his chance but by comparison its hard to gauge players at that level and schools dont want to take the gamble.  I feel like thats kind of what we are doing here but I see a lot of good qualities in his game that make him a serviceable backup which every team needs.  I wish we werent in that predicament but I dont like to see the schollies go unused anymore like the first two years.

I just wanna chime in and say he played on one of the better AAU teams in the state of Michigan

So I guess a better gauge would be how he fared on his AAU team and against that competition. Did he start for his AAU team? We know his HS numbers were inflated but what kind of performances did he put up against more talented AAU guys?

We know his HS numbers were inflated

Actually, his high school performance was not truly inflated. As shown more specifically in the Recruiting thread, his high school is about the size of Wahoo but his team played each year five-or-so Class-A-size (in Nebraska) schools--and usually beat them. His Junior year, for example, his team won against a school about the size of Omaha Central!

Bakari Evelyn looks to be a Tarin Smith equivalent but with a better outside and three point shot.