2015 PG Bakari Evelyn -> Nebraska -> Valparaiso -> Iowa

According to one of the posts in the 2015 Spring Recruiting thread, this kid is visiting?  This weekend?

I don't see a ranking on his rivals page.  No stars.  He has offers from UTEP and Loyola Chicago, perhaps?

Here's his Verbal Commits page:  http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/bakari-evelyn

And here's some video for what it's worth:

Here is link to an article on him from his UTEP visit: http://www.minerrush.com/2015/3/29/8308685/utep-basketball-recruiting-2015-guard-bakari-evelyn-visits-utep

The essence of the article is this:

Evelyn stands 6'2 and was a two time All-Michigan guard before transferring to Gilbert Christian in Arizona for his senior year of high school.

He led Southfield Christian in Detroit to three straight Class D Michigan State Titles, pouring in 28 points in the championship final in his last game with Southfield Christian.

Dealing with transfer rules issues once he arrived in Arizona, Evelyn was not cleared due to his guardianship being questioned by the governing AIA and never suited up to play for Gilbert Christian this past season.

Instead, Evelyn played for Hillcrest Academy where he dropped 39 points in a game back January, attracting some major Mountain West attention, and an offer from Loyola-Chicago, he is considered one of the top-20 unsigned 2015 prospects out of Arizona.

Evelyn is a long athlete with what looks like a 6'4 or 6'5 wing span, displaying good handles, and Division one ready distributing and play making vision in the open court. He has played mainly played point guard in his career, but shows the ability to become a combo guard in his college career if needed.

He is, apparently, a Scout three star.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't like this, unless Warson isn't going to be here.

With or without Watson, we are extremely thin in the backcourt.   We need another guard who can play the two badly.

You have Parker (Sr- Can't play the two), Watson (incoming true frosh) and Webster (combo guard who has been wildly undependable).   Not a ringing endorsement there.

With or without Watson, we are extremely thin in the backcourt.   We need another guard who can play the two badly.

You have Parker (Sr- Can't play the two), Watson (incoming true frosh) and Webster (combo guard who has been wildly undependable).   Not a ringing endorsement there.

Wouldn't White be considered a two?

I wonder if White has enough lateral quickness to guard a smaller, quicker 2?

Nah, White is more a 3.

That said, we do not have typical 2's, 3's or even 4's  We tend to have a PG and then a bunch of wings.  Leslee and Moses were our only two back to the basket type guys on offense.  Defensively we switched and mixed and matched as well.  For that matter, we sometimes had a line up like this on the floor (TP, Walt, Shavon, David and Tai).  I would argue that we basically had 5 wings on the floor :)

He might be able to play there...but as M&R states...the guy is 6'7"    Thats a pretty rare player that is going to be quick enough to defend the two in college at that size. 

Here are some questions about the backcourt.

Can Benny play the point on offense without another strong ball handler in the game? For the last half of 2015 his contribution on offense was bringing the ball past half court if there was no pressure, passing it immediately to TP or SS, and then not looking very hard to get the ball back.  Against full court pressure - well, enough said.

Can Watson and Benny play at the same time?

Will Tai ever start shooting well?  If you go with Benny and Tai at the same time are teams defending you 5 on 3 again?

Can White or McVeigh handle the ball well enough and defend well enough to play the 2?  If White can't play the 2, and you need White and Shields to give you 30 minutes, that puts Shields at the 4 for at least 20 minutes a game.  Can you play Shavon there that much, with an undersized 5 and a small backcourt, and not get killed on the boards?

Looks like we've offered.

https://twitter.com/ClayMilnes/status/587440940165439488

Bakari replied back "thanks"

He really reads a lot like Tarin Smith in terms of being a 6'2" point guard though perhaps he more pass first than Smith. I hope he's not a reach and pans out as a guy who can contribute some minutes if he ultimately decides on us.

http://www.minerrush.com/2015/3/29/8308685/utep-basketball-recruiting-2015-guard-bakari-evelyn-visits-utep

Looks like we've offered.

https://twitter.com/ClayMilnes/status/587440940165439488

Bakari replied back "thanks"

He really reads a lot like Tarin Smith in terms of being a 6'2" point guard though perhaps he more pass first than Smith. I hope he's not a reach and pans out as a guy who can contribute some minutes if he ultimately decides on us.

http://www.minerrush.com/2015/3/29/8308685/utep-basketball-recruiting-2015-guard-bakari-evelyn-visits-utep

Robin confirms: