2015 PG Bakari Evelyn -> Nebraska -> Valparaiso -> Iowa

Not at all sure what to make of this offer. 

I am hoping they worked the kid out and liked what they saw.

He's a kid who excelled in class D in Michigan (lowest class) and then transferred to Arizona for his senior year to improve his play/stock. The school he tried to transfer to didn't allow him to play and he had to go to some other academy...I'm not sure of the competition there. His move backfired and he went from under the radar to really under the radar.

Here is a quote from a Bulter message board from 2012 when they were tracking him

Tying what you said with the report he was from Michigan, Bakari Evelyn makes sense. He is a 2015 6'2" traditional PG from Southfield Christian in Michigan. Projected as a high major recruit, but not ranked in any of the limited 2015 rankings out there. Sounds like he's about the level Butler should be targeting. Back in June he told Scout that Michigan, Indiana, Wake Forest, and Ohio State were showing the most interest.

He's a guy who seemed to be gathering B1G interest and then just dropped off the face of the earth. Was is specifically because of the move? Was it something else?  He did get suspended his junior year of HS for a lot of games from some reason before being re-instated and leading the team to the state title. Physically he seems like a less athletic Tarin Smith but maybe a bit quicker. Is he finally a combo guard that actually slants more PG than SG?

It seems like Bakari could be a replacement for Smith who was a replacement for Hawkins. If we do sign him, will be be an upgrade over Smith like Smith was over Hawkins? Is he the next in a line of last minute pickups that we need to replace next year?

I think we found a guy everyone else forgot about. Hopefully there wasn't a specific reason other than poor timing and transfers that led to him being forgotten.

Will have to trust evaluation skills of recruiters and that the coaches liked what they saw.  

I agree to a certain extent. I don't think we offer him unless we see the potential for him to be a B1G player and at least compete for some playing time. Hopefully the drive and buy-in to our system because that's so much harder to a figure out this late in the game.

Not at all sure what to make of this offer. 

I am hoping they worked the kid out and liked what they saw.

He's a kid who excelled in class D in Michigan (lowest class) and then transferred to Arizona for his senior year to improve his play/stock. The school he tried to transfer to didn't allow him to play and he had to go to some other academy...I'm not sure of the competition there. His move backfired and he went from under the radar to really under the radar.

Here is a quote from a Bulter message board from 2012 when they were tracking him

Tying what you said with the report he was from Michigan, Bakari Evelyn makes sense. He is a 2015 6'2" traditional PG from Southfield Christian in Michigan. Projected as a high major recruit, but not ranked in any of the limited 2015 rankings out there. Sounds like he's about the level Butler should be targeting. Back in June he told Scout that Michigan, Indiana, Wake Forest, and Ohio State were showing the most interest.

He's a guy who seemed to be gathering B1G interest and then just dropped off the face of the earth. Was is specifically because of the move? Was it something else?  He did get suspended his junior year of HS for a lot of games from some reason before being re-instated and leading the team to the state title. Physically he seems like a less athletic Tarin Smith but maybe a bit quicker. Is he finally a combo guard that actually slants more PG than SG?

It seems like Bakari could be a replacement for Smith who was a replacement for Hawkins. If we do sign him, will be be an upgrade over Smith like Smith was over Hawkins? Is he the next in a line of last minute pickups that we need to replace next year?

I think we found a guy everyone else forgot about. Hopefully there wasn't a specific reason other than poor timing and transfers that led to him being forgotten.

Dimes if I came across as saying the coaches needed to offer please don't think that is what I said.  I am hoping, that after talking with the young man and I am guessing working him out he met the requirements they were looking for to offer.  I hope like hell this is just not a Band-Aid that we will need to replace again next year. It's time to have a roster that is full of available scholarships and with kids that can help (even if it's pushing the kids playing to make them better).

Dimes if I came across as saying the coaches needed to offer please don't think that is what I said.  I am hoping, that after talking with the young man and I am guessing working him out he met the requirements they were looking for to offer.  I hope like hell this is just not a Band-Aid that we will need to replace again next year. It's time to have a roster that is full of available scholarships and with kids that can help (even if it's pushing the kids playing to make them better).

Not at all. If anything else, that's me trying to tell myself what to expect because up until this morning I'd put very little research into the guy because I didn't think we would offer.

Here's why I find this offer somewhat perplexing:

2014-15 roster:

Srs:

Rivers

L. Smith

Abraham

(Open)

Jrs:

Shields

Parker

Petteway

Pitchford

Sophs:

Webster

(White III)

Frosh:

Fuller

Hammond

T. Smith

Departures and Anticipated Departures by Position:

C  Abraham

PF/C  Pitchford

PF/C  L. Smith

PF Rivers

SG  Petteway

PG  T. Smith
(Open)

Arrivals and Anticipated Arrivals by Position:

PF/C  (Edwards?)

PF  Jacobson

SF/PF  Morrow

SF  McVeigh

SG/SF  White III

PG  Watson

PG  (Evelyn?)

So, on departures vs. arrivals, we're a net zero on PGs.  Lose Smith; Gain Watson.

Where we were bad this year was inside and shooting from deep.

I don't see how bringing in another PG addresses any of our issues from this past season.  If we land Edwards, which I certainly hope we do, it seems to me another big or a shooting guard would be of more immediate need.

Normy, maybe the coaches are anticipating another slot opening up very, very soon (which may happen sooner than hoped for)?? Even with the way it is today, I think the PG spot is a position of need. Guard play is what typically rules in college basketball. Glynn Watson can't carry the load for the next 4 years (yes, Benny will be around for one more season). I really like that the coaches are trying to find a good PG to complement Glynn & the two of 'em can duke it out, so to speak, for the next several years.

Normy, maybe the coaches are anticipating another slot opening up very, very soon (which may happen sooner than hoped for)?? Even with the way it is today, I think the PG spot is a position of need. Guard play is what typically rules in college basketball. Glynn Watson can't carry the load for the next 4 years (yes, Benny will be around for one more season). I really like that the coaches are trying to find a good PG to complement Glynn & the two of 'em can duke it out, so to speak, for the next several years.

We return 2 players with starting PG experience, plus we add Watson.

So, we'll have Sr. Benny Parker, Jr. Tai Webster, and Fr. Glynn Watson.

We need a big dude, and we need another guy who can light it up.

That's what I think, but the coaches obviously know better.  I'm just acknowledging that I'm confused.  :blink:

We return 2 players with starting PG experience, plus we add Watson.

So, we'll have Sr. Benny Parker, Jr. Tai Webster, and Fr. Glynn Watson.

We need a big dude, and we need another guy who can light it up.

That's what I think, but the coaches obviously know better.  I'm just acknowledging that I'm confused.  :blink:

Tai didn't play PG last year & Benny is a SR. What's the problem with "possibly" adding a PG??

Of course NU needs a 'big'; that isn't the concern being pointed out here. Guards are the play-makers in college ball.

BTW, I'd also like NU to find a really good transfer who's a scorer to replace Shavon (and Terran?) next season.

While I'm here, I'll throw out a name....Foster Loyer

Foster Loyer, Fr., Guard, Clarkston: Foster Loyer is a name you are going to want to remember. Helping lead Clarkston to its first region title since 2009, Loyer was co-point guard with senior Andrew Myers. Averaging 17.3 points, 5.3 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game, Loyer's 432 points this season is a freshman record at Clarkston.